PDA

View Full Version : Article: Alpha Flight To Return In 2015?

maniac mike
11-08-2014, 10:37 AM
From CBR...

Let's wrap the week with a few questions from the CBR Community: macroblaster1999 has taken note on some perceived lower-tier characters getting a spotlight recently at Marvel, and asks, "Are there plans for less-known teams like the Great Lakes Avengers or Alpha Flight?"

Great Lakes Avengers…?
"Cannot predict now."
Alpha Flight…?
"Signs point to yes."

-K-M-
11-08-2014, 11:55 AM
hmmmm....interesting. I could see a mini maybe, but doubt an on-going.

Le Messor
11-08-2014, 04:16 PM
That's cool.

I don't have any context, so to me 'plans for Alpha Flight' could mean a guest appearance in an upcoming issue of X-Men.
(That's not a complaint; the last guest appearance in X-Men was awesome! Just sayin'.)

~ Le Messor
"...it doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are-- if it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong."
~ R.P. Feynman

Canucklehead
11-08-2014, 04:58 PM
If the rumours of a Marvel Reboot do end up being true, Alpha Flight would be one most benefitted as their continuity is so skewed. Hell, they get "reset" every appearance anyway. All growth is forgotten. Might aswell start from scratch.

Le Messor
11-08-2014, 06:14 PM
If the rumours of a Marvel Reboot do end up being true...

There's not enough 'grrr' in 'groan' for how much I hope not.
Those rumours have been around for a while, so I have hope, but reboots always seem to me to be more cynical attempts at manipulating the audience than actual creative ideas meant to improve anything.

And the last two we've been through - the Ultimate Universe and the Nu52 - ended up being... not my cup of hot chocolate, shall we say?

~ Le Messor
"A cookie store is a bad idea. Besides, the market research reports say America likes crispy cookies, not soft and chewy cookies like you make."
~ Response to Debbi Fields' idea of starting Mrs. Fields' Cookies.

Sypes
11-10-2014, 09:15 AM
Now, that's my kind of Monday morning news!

Le Messor
11-10-2014, 02:58 PM
Now, that's my kind of Monday morning news!

Yesterday, to help me through Monday, somebody sent me an article saying a guy in Camden (just outside of Sydney) is now driving a Batmobile.
That's Monday news!

Mokole
11-11-2014, 01:01 AM
If they make another AF book the team should change slightly. More thought has to be put into it, IMO. Mac and Heather finally run Department H. Walter and Shaman yield to their scientist/medicine roles. Aurora, Northstar? Snowbird, Marrina? Bring back Ghost Girl and add Killjoy, need to say how/why they are back. Puck leads. Need to give the team a clear direction, lots of opportunity.

Alphan East
11-11-2014, 09:05 AM
Mac and Heather finally run Department H. Walter and Shaman yield to their scientist/medicine roles.

This would be a very nice beginning for a new series... but with them still having the ability to "suit up" if the need arises.
There are enough Flight-related characters to form a mission team without them. Puck, Talisman, Aurora (in the yellow suit), Snowbird, Windshear (or Chinook nowadays). I don't see Marvel letting Northstar out of X-Men... he's just too popular.
Actually, I would also bring back Madison, since he doesn't seem to be used much anymore in X-Men, to handle the scientist role and allow Sasquatch more freedom to go on missions.
There... I'm putting that down as my Christmas wish. :)

Phil
11-11-2014, 09:41 AM
If they make another AF book the team should change slightly. More thought has to be put into it
I agree, but definitely needs to be 'slightly'
Too much change and we get Vol.3

IMO. Mac and Heather finally run Department H.
I'd like that.

Need to give the team a clear direction, lots of opportunity.
Agreed 100%
The team needs to be dealing with world(/universe)-wide threats, saving The Avengers etc. and dealing with threats they can't handle/cope with.
The team has a large mystical/mythical aspect so playing that up a lot appeals to me; Doctor Strange shouldn't be the only hero that people go to when they need a magic fix.

Alphan East
11-11-2014, 11:14 AM
The team has a large mystical/mythical aspect so playing that up a lot appeals to me; Doctor Strange shouldn't be the only hero that people go to when they need a magic fix.

Absolutely. With Shaman, Talisman, and Snowbird on the team, they can go toe-to-toe into the mystic with anyone.

And no, not Volume 3... definitely not Volume 3... anything but Volume 3. I would literally rather see nothing than another Volume 3.

Le Messor
11-11-2014, 02:45 PM
Mac and Heather finally run Department H. Walter and Shaman yield to their scientist/medicine roles.

As long as they continue the superheroics that made me interested them in the first place, that's not bad.

I agree, but definitely needs to be 'slightly'
Too much change and we get Vol.3

Or worse... Vol.2. :P

Yep! That was always something that appealed to me about the original book; it went mystical.

~ Le Messor
"A fool's brain digests philosophy into folly, science into superstition, and art into pedantry. Hence University education."
~ George Bernard Shaw

cmdrkoenig67
11-11-2014, 03:19 PM
I'd love to see Marvel have an Alpha miniseries every year (4 or 6 issues) or every other year, at least (with the classic team as we saw them in Vol.5, with Heather & Talisman).

Dana

mos_def
11-12-2014, 09:00 PM
That's cool.

I don't have any context, so to me 'plans for Alpha Flight' could mean a guest appearance in an upcoming issue of X-Men.
(That's not a complaint; the last guest appearance in X-Men was awesome! Just sayin'.)

~ Le Messor
"...it doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are-- if it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong."
~ R.P. Feynman

With whats happeng in X-Men post Axis, it really doesn't fit into character of Northstar, Aurora, and Jeffries to stay

sengsterooney
11-12-2014, 11:03 PM
Interesting news indeed!

While I do enjoy the AF appearances, I just wish that there was more consistency between the appearances across the board. For example, when last we left AF (at the end of the Van Lente/Pak/Eaglesham run), Heather was AWOL with baby Claire (and potentially still brainwashed) while Mac was with the original Alphans. AF then appears to help Red Hulk in a story about the return of the Aztec gods in the Hulk (when it featured Rulk). Puck then, presumably, left on a short hiatus to LA and joined up briefly for the entire run of Uncanny X-Force (v3) to defeat the Owl Queen.

When next we see them in AXM, Heather is back with Mac (in a new/old suit), there is no mention of baby Claire or what happened since the 12 issue series, and Puck is with Talisman and back in his big P costume (no mention of his more contemporary X duds).

For me, these "jumps" in logic are just a bit too hard to take. Clearly, lots happen in between their appearances and I wish the writers would take some time to address them even if AF are appearing as guests in other titles. Just my 2 cents. :-)

sengsterooney
11-12-2014, 11:05 PM
PS: Someone needs to design a new costume for Talisman... I mean if they can do it for Ms Marvel (now Capt Marvel), for Star Sapphire, for Psylocke... surely someone can design some leg coverings for Talisman... (I mean, how many female superheroes these days still get around in a swimsuit? Apart from Starfire and Elektra :) )

Le Messor
11-13-2014, 03:55 AM
For me, these "jumps" in logic are just a bit too hard to take. Clearly, lots happen in between their appearances and I wish the writers would take some time to address them even if AF are appearing as guests in other titles. Just my 2 cents. :-)

Agreed.

OTOH, I do like the idea that when they have a series, they keep changing constantly; why would they suddenly stop dead just because they don't have one?
They don't know they don't have a series, and Canada hasn't (presumably) stopped being attacked.

So: a writer should combine those ideas. When AF appear, have them reference adventures we've never seen - to whet fans' appetites.
Make people wonder what they're missing until they demand a series to find out!

~ Le Messor
"A friend is one to whom you may pour out all the contents of your heart, chaff and grain together, knowing that the gentlest of hands will take and sift it, keep what is worth keeping and with the breath of kindness blow the rest away."
~ Arabian Proverb

cmdrkoenig67
11-13-2014, 11:29 AM
PS: Someone needs to design a new costume for Talisman... I mean if they can do it for Ms Marvel (now Capt Marvel), for Star Sapphire, for Psylocke... surely someone can design some leg coverings for Talisman... (I mean, how many female superheroes these days still get around in a swimsuit? Apart from Starfire and Elektra :) )

I agree, a more practical outfit would be appreciated. Maybe something like her original costume, but with full leggings instead of the skirt?

I also agree with you on the inconsistency of Alpha appearances, Seng. It's frustrating to see past plot elements just discarded with no explanation or recap...However, I don't mind Eugene being with Liz. They perhaps just found some connection off panel and began a relationship.

Dana

DIGGER
11-14-2014, 12:13 AM
Again with the off panel stuff. I don't care what they do...just do it right.

Canucklehead
11-14-2014, 09:51 PM
I ask only one request of a new series... No brainwashing/possession/Alphan-Turned-Evil stories for at LEAST issue 50... Seriously. If we get one more series that starts with "Oh no! [Alphan] has been possessed! But HOW!? We'll have to fight them for 6 issues! Oh wait, we've been upgraded to a maxi series!? Lets fight them til issue 12! What? We're cancelled and have to rush an ending for issue 9?! OK, [alphan] is back to normal! Now we're a big happy family again!"
*2 years later*
Announcing another New Alpha Flight Series! "Oh no! [Alphan] has been possessed! But HOW!?"

Le Messor
11-14-2014, 11:15 PM
:) Sorry, bub. This is the 2010s; all comics are about the heroes turning evil. Didn't you know?

Bill P
11-15-2014, 01:15 PM
Any news is good news!

Alphan East
11-30-2014, 12:06 AM
I've been coming back to this thread ever since it began, going over in my head as to what I'd like to see from a new Alpha Flight series... and I think I've found it.
Let me know what you think of the following:
Having Mac and Heather running Department H would allow them to raise Claire in a somewhat normal environment, and still let them join in on missions from time to time. BTW - the Department H logo shows the colours of the Canadian flag. The "arme" in white lettering is the French Canadian translation for "Weapon". Thought it was a nice touch.
I think this incarnation of Alpha Flight could take on anything in the Marvel Universe and make for some entertaining stories. Plus, I've always liked Aurora in her yellow suit.
Beta Flight would be their Covert / Black Ops team. Always thought Diamond Lil's death was a waste, and since no one stays dead forever in Marvel, I've decided to bring her back. Now that Windshear is back and calling himself Chinook (Death of Wolverine - The Logan Legacy) he should join back up as well. I'd really like someone to develop a backstory for Kingdom... he has potential And finally, Feedback was a character that really didn't get a chance in the original series. I thought his power was a good mix for the group... and he's from Atlantic Canada.
There you have it. Please comment and critique to your heart's content. :)

rplass
11-30-2014, 09:59 AM
Hey that's a really cool graphic. I like the team line-ups too. But I would add in the kids into Gamma Flight, too. In their own spin-off title, of course, kind of like Young Avengers, New Mutants, etc.

Alphan East
11-30-2014, 03:56 PM
But I would add in the kids into Gamma Flight, too. In their own spin-off title, of course, kind of like Young Avengers, New Mutants, etc.

I thought about doing a Gamma Flight training team, but I didn't know if there would be any of the originals left to train.
Persuasion has now grown up and become Purple Woman, who I would really like to see turn into more of an anti-hero type... fighting for her own causes whether it puts her on the right side of the law or not, more along the lines of Nemesis.
Witchfire has grown up, gone back to Limbo, and become more demonic.
And if these two are now adults, I'm guessing Manikin is as well.
I'd like to see a Gamma Flight team made up of Ghost Girl & Flinch (both from the Hull House story arc in Volume 2), Pathway & Goblyn, and maybe a couple brand new younger heroes... maybe even bring back Wyre to train them.

varo
12-05-2014, 11:00 AM
with the rumor of a possible mu reset after secret wars it would be cool to see the team with a fresh start, no deaths, rebirths, etc.......also, might be a good opportunity to have a team with wolverine on it, which would undoubtedly increase the sales and hopefully keep a book around for a little while.

Mokole
12-06-2014, 11:41 PM
I like your ideas, Alphan East.

Calbretto
12-31-2014, 12:04 PM
I would love a new ongoing. I really wish the last series had taken off. I think them tying it into a crappy Marvel Event is what "ruined" the book for most people. I actually loved the artwork and enjoyed the story. I think the writers had a lot of love for the characters and could have done a nice second arc for the book.

And the last book was supposed to be an ongoing. I was there at Fan Expo sitting in the Alpha Flight panel when they made the announcement that the book was so well-received that it was being promoted to an ongoing series. Then a month later Marvel says it's just a mini and they never planned to make it into an ongoing. Very disappointing.

Phil
12-31-2014, 12:49 PM
The event actually helped it sales wise.
As soon as they took "Fear Itself" off the cover sales plummeted.
That was unfortunately why the ongoing was reversed.
Marvel didn't deny they had announced it as an ongoing, they just admitted they were wrong and that the preliminary sales figures weren't a good representation and thus skewed the decision.
From the start we were expecting a mini so while we were prematurely celebrating it being upgraded, we never really lost out from the original launch.

But yeah, I wish it'd have been an ongoing too...

Tawmis
01-12-2015, 06:25 PM
Wasn't there a whole discussion about whether or not Marvel was going to "reboot" their universe somewhere around here?

I am all for it - if they do it right.

Although, the current standing of their Marvel Universe is horrible.

So really, wouldn't take much to improve from where they're currently at....

I had just texted my wife, earlier today, "I collect too much [comics] - I think it's time to start selling them off."

I have over 60 short boxes of comics.

Mokole
01-12-2015, 10:15 PM
Agreed, Tawmis, the current MU is a huge mess. FF can make whole, entire planets, travel in time with no repercussions, create robots out of cotton batting, create portals in space and dimensions, travel faster than the speed of light, and yet can be outsmarted easily. Stark can travel faster than light speed in his suit, destroy whole battleships with his suit, lift unimaginable weights, create nano tech and microbes that can rewrite DNA in a flash, make stealth suits, has an indefatigable power source, and so much more super-incredibly brilliant things, yet has trouble with other industrialists. Avengers meet 'gods' who can remake the universes and beat them, they make a robot that is invincible but vincinble for the moment.

The comics are so, so far from reality that they make no sense. They're all so incredibly brilliant but can't stop world hunger, identify IEDs before they are used, common people still fly United, ocean liners still sink, planes still crash, bad guys still cause havoc. It's as if the writers just go and say, "Iron Man and the FF don't have the time to spend saving lives or improving lives, they're too elitist". Who isn't so brilliant as to not be so elitist? Spider-Man is 100x smarter than Einstein, Banner even smarter, FF and Stark smarter still. I can't read such drivel, it's so far removed from reality. Such geniuses and they can't do anything at all to make the world better??? A reboot is the only thing that'll bring back readers, end the idiocy.

Le Messor
01-13-2015, 03:48 AM
Wasn't there a whole discussion about whether or not Marvel was going to "reboot" their universe somewhere around here?

I am all for it - if they do it right.

The problem, as I see it, is that the same people who are in charge of the current standing would also be in charge of the reboot.

~ LM
"Most people would succeed in small things if they were not troubled with great ambitions."
~ Henry Longfellow

Phil
01-13-2015, 05:45 AM

One man's horrible is another man's amazing though.

Phil
01-13-2015, 05:52 AM
The comics are so, so far from reality that they make no sense.
Are you saying that gaining super-powers from a radioactive spider bite isn't far from reality?
I'd say the exact opposite and that today's comics are nearer reality than ever. And maybe that's the problem.

Such geniuses and they can't do anything at all to make the world better???
If the world was better there'd be no stories to tell.
The whole point of superhero comics is good vs evil. There has to be an imperfect world that resembles the readers.
The whole point of the MU being set in actual cities such as NY etc. rather than DC's Metropolis etc. is so that readers can identify with things.
If you create a world cured of hunger and disease and terrorism that detracts from that initial point. There has to be some reality to it.

A reboot is the only thing that'll bring back readers, end the idiocy.
Yet DC's reboot didn't bring back readers.

Le Messor
01-13-2015, 06:05 AM
Are you saying that gaining super-powers from a radioactive spider bite isn't far from reality?
I'd say the exact opposite and that today's comics are nearer reality than ever. And maybe that's the problem.

Agreed!!!!!!!

The whole point of superhero comics is good vs evil. There has to be an imperfect world that resembles the readers.

But I'd also say that's part of the problem; the creators are trying so hard for imperfect for so long, it's no longer good vs. evil; it's 'good' vs 'good'.

Yet DC's reboot didn't bring back readers.

To be fair, Tawmis asked for a well-done reboot. DC's felt more like a cash grab than a genuine attempt to tell good stories.
And they brought 90s sensibilities back.

~ Le Messor
"The best thing about the future is that it only comes one day at a time."
~ Abraham Lincoln

Phil
01-13-2015, 12:55 PM
http://marvel.com/news/comics/23927/watch_the_secret_wars_live_kickoff

Le Messor
01-13-2015, 02:26 PM
They're certainly talking in a way that'd make sense if they reset the universe.
But also if they didn't.

Is it just me, or is the Alex Ross painting all Avengers? (I don't necessarily recognise all of them.)

~ Le Messor
"A man without mirth is like a wagon without springs, in which one is caused disagreeably to jolt by every pebble over which it runs."
~ Henry W. Beecher

Mokole
01-17-2015, 04:28 PM
I stand by what I said before. So what if Parker gained powers from a radioactive spider bite? It's a comic. But then they go and do all this "real-world" stuff (more ethnicity, more use of real-life stories, more trying to make heroes like your neighbour), then try and show how wonderful their main characters are, so ultra-brilliant, then turn around and say how rich Stark is, how smart, yet he always loses money, loses his company, and can't use his knowledge to build cheap iron man suits for bomb detonators, miners, volcano divers, whatever. I can't buy a book that makes the FF and Stark out to be so smart, so powerful, so rich, but shows they can't make anything to make money from the masses, they can't make smart cars to save lives, and so on. Sure, Parker got bit and is Spider-Man but he has powers, he uses powers from the bite, it is fluid though you have to suspend reality. But it's a comic. But asking me to believe your stories are routed in the real world, these are real people who are fantastic, then have them be so incredibly smart and unable to do anything useful??? That is why I don't read anymore and my boys have given up. They want stories, action, fluidity, humour, not uber-smart god-like people running around talking honour and valour yet being outsmarted by kids with iPods blowing up reality. Marvel is basically about two worlds mostly, an uber-ultra-reality where anything is possible and everyone is smart and beautiful but gullible, and a 100% ignorant world the rest of Marvel lives in, completely unaware of the possibilities.

Le Messor
01-17-2015, 05:03 PM
Mokole, when you put it that way, I completely agree with you.

Any disagreement I had stems from my disillusionment with the current push for realism - where people reading comics (or fantasy books, or any such thing) seem to have the attitude 'so, you want stories about dragons, about guys who fly under their own power, about guys who can punch holes in mountains by looking at them, about alien fish-women... Clearly, the A-#1 priority, the one thing you must absolutely want above all else, is REALISM!!!'.

Honestly, I embraced that trend at first - it was such a relief after the Dark Disney style of the 90s (where everything was drawn all cartoonish, then coloured black) - but it got real old real fast.

It's worse when people define 'realism' to mean 'cynical, depressing, unpleasant, mean-spirited, nasty, unheroic, only two colours and those dark and dull', etc...
Sure, most of those things happen - but so do the opposites. And that's what I'd rather read about (or read stories based in).

~ Le Messor
"A half truth is a whole lie."
~ Yiddish Proverb

Canucklehead
01-18-2015, 03:11 PM
Extremely wishful thinking but it would be cool if, while the Avengers are off in Secret Wars, some Alpha Flight members would help make up a new Avengers team, hyping them up for a while before getting a new book. I know. It'll never happen...

Le Messor
01-18-2015, 03:18 PM
Extremely wishful thinking but it would be cool if, while the Avengers are off in Secret Wars, some Alpha Flight members would help make up a new Avengers team, hyping them up for a while before getting a new book. I know. It'll never happen...

That would be cool... but then I remember what they did the last time all the Avengers disappeared, during Heroes Reborn.

~ Le Messor
"Only those who dare to fall greatly can ever achieve greatly."
~ Robert F. Kennedy

Canucklehead
01-18-2015, 03:47 PM
That would be cool... but then I remember what they did the last time all the Avengers disappeared, during Heroes Reborn.

Ah yes. Also the last time any real Alpha Flight members appeared in an Avengers book, they were "welcomed" by Michael Pointer...

Sypes
01-19-2015, 12:38 AM
I've always thought Sasquatch, Shaman or Talisman would make great avengers!

Le Messor
01-19-2015, 03:33 AM
I've always thought Sasquatch, Shaman or Talisman would make great avengers!

In Avengers Forever, Sasquatch was an alternate reality member. (Cameo, no lines.)

Phil
01-19-2015, 07:51 AM
Well, if All-New, All-Different applies the same way it did to X-Men back in the day then we could see an international team of Avengers so we might see a Canadian in it...?

-K-M-
01-19-2015, 08:51 AM
Could see Validator make the cut

Le Messor
01-19-2015, 02:58 PM
Well, if All-New, All-Different applies the same way it did to X-Men back in the day then we could see an international team of Avengers so we might see a Canadian in it...?

Why not? We did with the X-Men! :twisted:

~ Le Messor
"Look after it, and it will look after you."
~ Jim Papalois

Phil
01-20-2015, 06:19 AM
Could see Validator make the cut
I suppose there's as good a chance as any.
I have a feeling we won't see again after Hickman leaves though. If she survives.

Phil
01-20-2015, 04:28 PM
So... from the looks of it, like when the regular x-verse ceased publication for 4 months for the AoA, the 616 Universe is going to effectively cease for 4 months as every Universe ever is colliding/incursion-ing/merging to form Battleworld. The heroes are still our heroes, with their history and memories, but in a new planet made up of the remnants of every Universe.
During this time new series' will launch.
Where they end up is anyone's guess...

Tawmis
01-20-2015, 07:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7L6mDjQHNs&feature=youtu.be&t=13m29s

My impression is - they're rebooting the whole universe, when everything collides. And the result will be a mishmash of worlds and realities called "Battle World." (So Earth is going to be this mess of different pieces; and will no longer really resemble Earth). Heroes will be from all kinds of time lines. And from the video, potentially multiple versions of the same heroes.

And the video seems to lend to the idea; that all books are being rebooted into this Battleworld. And this this WILL be the new Marvel Universe from here on out.

Phil
01-20-2015, 07:26 PM
Yeah, I'm with you on most of that, but not the word 'reboot' as the characters will retain their histories and memories - everything that has happened up till now will still of happened; it'll just be a new status quo.
I think it'll be put back by September, only, like when X-Man, Dark Beast etc. came over to the 616 when the AoA ended, certain characters will remain in the 'new & improved' 616 that's left in it's wake.

Le Messor
01-21-2015, 03:35 AM
the result will be a mishmash of worlds and realities called "Battle World."

Which is pretty much what happened with the original Secret Wars, only that was alien planets.

Yeah, I'm with you on most of that, but not the word 'reboot' as the characters will retain their histories and memories - everything that has happened up till now will still of happened; it'll just be a new status quo.
I think it'll be put back by September, only, like when X-Man, Dark Beast etc. came over to the 616 when the AoA ended, certain characters will remain in the 'new & improved' 616 that's left in it's wake.

Agreed.

~ Le Messor
"A modest little person with much to be modest about."
~ Winston Churchill

Sypes
01-21-2015, 11:15 PM
That's how they'll bring back Wolverine ... and maybe other characters. Who else died recently?

Tawmis
01-22-2015, 03:05 AM
That's how they'll bring back Wolverine ... and maybe other characters. Who else died recently?

What worries me is seeing multiple of the same character running around. Won't it be a little confusing if regular Hawkeye is running around along with Ultimates Hawkeye running around too?

Tom Brevoort in the video said, "If we wanted to bring Gwen Stacy back - this is how we'd do it! We could even do four different ones!"

While I am sure, the "4 different ones" is a jest in regards to Gwen - what would stop them from having 4 different Wolverines running around?

Now it won't have to just be ONE Wolverine in every book - there can be AoA Wolverine, 616 Wolverine, Ultimates Wolverine, Days of Future Past Wolverine, all a part of different teams...

Le Messor
01-22-2015, 03:29 AM
Good point, Sypes!

Le Messor
01-22-2015, 03:34 AM
What worries me is seeing multiple of the same character running around. Won't it be a little confusing if regular Hawkeye is running around along with Ultimates Hawkeye running around too?

Possibly. I've already seen a Spider-Gwen book advertised.

Then again, we've already had two Beasts, two Cables, and two Nighthawks running around. (But, yeah, they'll totally use this to fill their books with a plethora of Wolverines.)

~ Le Messor
"A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself."
~ Jim Morrison

Sypes
01-22-2015, 11:44 PM
Wouldn't it be (somewhat) cool if Wolverine came back from another universe and he was the leader of Alpha Flight? He had stayed in Weapon X and created Alpha Flight, and now there would be a book of Wolverine and Alpha Flight. New members, old ones etc, all tied in with Wolverine.

I always thought he was over exposed, but if he's gonna be in every freaking book again, put him in an Alpha Flight book and let's sale / buy that baby.

Le Messor
01-23-2015, 04:40 AM
Come to think of it, they're already advertising a book called Wolverines.
(From the one image I've seen, I recognise Mystique, Sabretooth, and Deathstrike. Katana guy and molten metal guy (Cypher?) I don't.)

~ Le Messor
"A person is known by the company he keeps."

Le Messor
01-24-2015, 07:28 PM
My impression is - they're rebooting the whole universe, when everything collides.

http://www.mania.com/first-look-marvels-last-days_article_141210.html

Also, shouldn't all this discussion be on this (http://alphaflight.net/showthread.php?9471-Marvel-Universe-To-Be-Completely-Rebooted-DC-Style-*RUMOUR*/page4&highlight=Marvel+Universe+Reset) thread?

~ Le Messor
"I guess we can't get mad at Victor for bringing Sparky back to life."
~ Frankenweenie

Canucklehead
01-27-2015, 07:40 PM
Wouldn't it be (somewhat) cool if Wolverine came back from another universe and he was the leader of Alpha Flight? He had stayed in Weapon X and created Alpha Flight, and now there would be a book of Wolverine and Alpha Flight. New members, old ones etc, all tied in with Wolverine.

I always thought he was over exposed, but if he's gonna be in every freaking book again, put him in an Alpha Flight book and let's sale / buy that baby.

I thought something similar. They're currently selling multiple X-Men titles without Wolverine and a Wolverine book with multiple replacement characters. They could easily restart the MU with Wolvie and Alpha Flight (which would obviously help it sell more then 12 issues) and Multiple X-Men titles with those replacement Wolvies. Help spread the wealth.

-K-M-
01-27-2015, 09:08 PM
Did the original question on cbr just refer to alpha flight appearing in amazing x-men or something else?

Phil
01-28-2015, 10:05 AM
It was just a general question, but it was asked 1 issue away from the end of World War Wendigo so it wasn't about that.

I genuinely think we're gonna see AF in this whole Secret Wars Battle Wars/Last Days thing, either as a oneshot, part of an anthology or guest appearance.

Mokole
01-29-2015, 11:52 PM
Not much news one way or the other but speculation could be right. If they do appear in Secret Wars I'm guessing it'll either be not good, again, or as background characters, not using Sasquatch's brains, Guardian's, or any of the other characters strong abilities or power sets. Yes, I'm pessimistic.

Tawmis
01-31-2015, 01:05 AM
Not much news one way or the other but speculation could be right. If they do appear in Secret Wars I'm guessing it'll either be not good, again, or as background characters, not using Sasquatch's brains, Guardian's, or any of the other characters strong abilities or power sets. Yes, I'm pessimistic.

Probably with good reason (being pessimistic). Because at the end of the latest New Warriors series (which was GREAT! So pissed it got canned...) - anyway, they say at the very end, "Don't worry - you will be seeing some of them very soon! Sooner than you'd expect!"

And I suspect - this is Secret Wars reference. And that it's going to be alternate time line versions of them or something. Or their current versions, battling for their life...

Le Messor
01-31-2015, 01:18 AM
the latest New Warriors series... it's going to be alternate time line versions of them or something.

From the little I've seen of the Secret Wars alternate realities, one of them could be based on the Sphinx's from the original series.

~ Le Messor
Alvin: "My name is Alvin the treacherous, and I've earned it!"
Roughnut: "How do you earn the name Alvin?"
~ Dreamworks Dragons

Tawmis
01-31-2015, 01:19 AM
From the little I've seen of the Secret Wars alternate realities, one of them could be based on the Sphinx's from the original series.

~ Le Messor
Alvin: "My name is Alvin the treacherous, and I've earned it!"
Roughnut: "How do you earn the name Alvin?"
~ Dreamworks Dragons

That's what I am thinking...

Which had an alternate version of the Avengers... which is probably why they'd highlight it (and not really the New Warriors, who will probably be background characters to these Egyptian version of the Avengers)...

Le Messor
01-31-2015, 02:22 AM
Yeah, that sounds about right.

Phil
01-31-2015, 04:45 AM
You're not the only ones thinking it:
http://www.newsarama.com/23295-a-traveler-s-guide-to-secret-wars-battleworld-part-one.html

Le Messor
01-31-2015, 04:09 PM
Yes, I thought I saw Horus (well, 'somebody from that world' in my head) in one of the pictures!
Thanks, Phil.

Secret Wars is actually starting to look interesting to me. Go figure.

~ Le Messor
"A mind is a fire to be kindled, not a vessel to be filled."
~ Plutarch

Phil
02-03-2015, 09:29 AM
http://brevoortformspring.tumblr.com/post/109846071998/hey-tom-will-alpha-flight-show-up-in-secret-wars

Le Messor
02-03-2015, 02:45 PM
So, no information.
I'm not sure that 'this character will show up' counts as a spoiler, though. (It can, admittedly, but unless Alpha Flight's appearance is climactic, suspenseful, and explains a lot, I doubt that applies here. Oh! But wouldn't that be COOOL!!!)

Is anybody here planning to buy them all, whether AF show up or not?

~ Le Messor
"A person who speaks cleverly is witty; one who asks questions is smart."
~ Terry Carr

Phil
02-03-2015, 04:34 PM
I'll get the main LS but only AF appearing spin offs/tie-ins.

Le Messor
02-04-2015, 03:10 AM
Cool! Let us know if AF show up (as if I need to tell you that. :P)

I'm actually tempted to get it myself, but pretty undecided right now.

~ Le Messor
"A place for everything and everything in its place."

Phil
02-04-2015, 05:33 AM
Egyptia has been confirmed as the Forever Yesterday storyline: http://marvel.com/comics/events/323/secret_wars_2015

Not AF related I know, but hey; we're all friends and fans of the underdog here...

Le Messor
02-04-2015, 06:01 AM
Cool! It's not just an underdog thing; for some reason, there's a lot of New Warriors / Alpha Flight love crossover. (ie: Many of us are fans of both.)

Phil
02-05-2015, 01:20 PM
If they're bringing back Night Nurse & Millie The Model, SURELY they're bringing AF back???http://marvel.com/news/comics/24031/secret_wars_correspondence_secret_wars_journal

Le Messor
02-05-2015, 02:31 PM
... Are they Administrative Night Nurses?

(Little Black Books joke there...)
Hasn't she appeared in the last couple of years? Like, Daredevil, or Luke Cage, or someone like that needed medical attention and went to her?

~ Le Messor
"A professional is one who does his best work when he feels the least like working."
~ Frank Lloyd Wright

Tawmis
02-09-2015, 12:29 PM
Well, "Alpha Flight"'s return may be tied to this (and thus not really Alpha Flight, but several Alpha Flight members)...
https://www.facebook.com/Marvel/photos/a.106017942487.92720.6883542487/10153004012772488/?type=1&theater

https://scontent-a-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10353004_10153004012772488_9003011110338740609_n.j pg?oh=fc0bbced28c448cde1b3dcd8de67d97e&oe=55633E7E

Phil
02-09-2015, 12:34 PM
See http://alphaflight.net/content.php?853-Aurora-Vindicator-Snowbird-Join-A-Force

Canucklehead
02-18-2015, 04:41 PM
According to Bleeding Cool (http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/02/17/northstar-kingpin-beast-red-skull-omega-and-werewolf-by-night-get-trademarked-by-marvel-more-to-come/), Marvel has just registered the trademark for Northstar and other Marvel Characters.

Le Messor
02-19-2015, 03:22 AM
Hmmm... Marvel comics or Marvel Movies?

~ Le Messor
"Success is more dangerous than failure - the ripples break over a wider coastline."
~ Graham Greene

Canucklehead
02-19-2015, 07:34 AM
Is this another speedster that has multiple movie right holders?

You would think they would register Aurora at the same time though. Might be a new Mini or Ongoing.

Phil
09-04-2015, 05:15 PM
And from this week:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/axel-in-charge-unmasking-the-totally-awesome-hulk

We'll take off for the long weekend with kaijudo, who has an observation and a question: "No word yet in the ANAD Marvel U about two of my favorites: Captain Britain and Alpha Flight. Any plans for either of those characters/titles?"
Alonso: Stay tuned for good news, I think.

50/50 chance...

Le Messor
09-04-2015, 05:46 PM
Interesting!

Coming soon from Marvel: Captain Britain And Alpha Flight!

-K-M-
09-04-2015, 07:37 PM
Most likely a continuation of "Captain Britain and the Mighty Defenders" from Secret Wars. They just made Weirdworld an ongoing.

Tawmis
09-04-2015, 08:10 PM
I would love to see a good, solid, Alpha Flight series again...
I just don't have much faith in Marvel.

Le Messor
09-04-2015, 08:14 PM
K-M-:
I thought WW was already ongoing?

Tawmis:
I'm sorry, but I agree with you.

-K-M-
09-04-2015, 08:29 PM
It was just a mini-series for Secret Wars, same as Captain Britain. The new series will feature Black Knight as the main character

Tawmis
09-04-2015, 08:44 PM
It was just a mini-series for Secret Wars, same as Captain Britain. The new series will feature Black Knight as the main character

When they originally announced Weird World, I was excited... and thought Marvel was going to do something very different... and make it the original Weird World series (with the two elves)...

Le Messor
09-05-2015, 02:17 AM
I only recently heard of the original Weird World, just before the new one was announced (in fact, that conversation might be somewhere in this very thread. Look it up? Whaddo I look like, some kind of guy whos nots lazy?). I wouldn't mind getting a chance to read it.

When I heard of the Secret Wars one, I also heard about an ongoing to follow.

Tawmis
09-05-2015, 02:40 AM
I only recently heard of the original Weird World, just before the new one was announced (in fact, that conversation might be somewhere in this very thread. Look it up? Whaddo I look like, some kind of guy whos nots lazy?). I wouldn't mind getting a chance to read it.
When I heard of the Secret Wars one, I also heard about an ongoing to follow.

It only appears like three or four times in printed Marvel.
And apparently a recent (as in April) paper back was printed (which is pretty amazing, and now I must find it...)
http://marvel.com/comics/collection/41097/weirdworld_warriors_of_the_shadow_realm_trade_pape rback

It's even on MyComicShop (and if you choose to buy it from there, might I recommend using the following link as it benefits my Podcast) ;-)

http://mycomicshop.com/search?TID=27429842&AffID=1055159P01

Le Messor
09-05-2015, 03:51 AM
Shipping from MyComicShip is prohibitive for me, unless I buy through eBaZon.
Still, I'll have to check for that.

Phil
09-05-2015, 09:32 AM
The Black Knight series is set on Weirdworld but there's a Weirdworld ongoing by Sam Humphries & Mike Del Mundo.

Chances are, Alonso does mean Captain Britain, BUT it is Fan Expo this weekend so an announcement would make sense...

-K-M-
09-05-2015, 10:19 AM
OoooOooo interesting. I thought humphries weird world was the black knight book. Didn't know there is a seperate weird world. Their going full in with the concept.

Should have looked it up first, but yeah Frank tieri and luca pizzari and doing the BK book

Phil
09-05-2015, 10:22 AM
They're starting to realise that the superhero market is saturated so bringing in new(/old) genres and trying to get as many distinctly different books as possible.

Le Messor
09-05-2015, 05:21 PM
Suddenly all the threads are tied together! I might look at putting both of those on my standing order.

Phil
09-07-2015, 08:33 AM
Well, nothing at Fan Expo, but NYCC is approaching fast.

Rob (or anyone else) will you be planning on attending any of the MU panels when they announce them?

Phil
09-08-2015, 03:41 PM
*sigh*
http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/fan-expo-15-marvels-post-secret-wars-plans-loki-spidey-daredevils-futures

Cebulski laid out a few ground rules about questions he couldn't answer over the next hour.

"Wolverine is still dead. Who knows when or if he is coming back? We can't tell you the end of 'Secret Wars,' and unfortunately, I have nothing to announce about 'Alpha Flight.'" As you might expect, the final bit disappointed quite a few members of the heavily Canadian crowd.

Le Messor
09-08-2015, 04:40 PM
Still, I've gotta admit, I'm actually a little impressed he went out of his way to single out Alpha Flight.

Tawmis
09-09-2015, 08:46 PM
-sigh-

I can't tell if that's good or bad... Because right now, there's not a lot of good coming out of Marvel...

But they're throwing everything out there - some of their new books are like "Patsy Walker AKA Hellcat" which I think is supposed to match up against DC's new "Batgirl" type book.

Mekko Hotvle
09-10-2015, 10:56 AM
With Marvel bringing back Red Wolf, maybe we could see at least Shaman, Talisman and Snowbird make appearances. He could make a trip to Canada after hearing how the First Nations are under attack and he runs into members of Alpha Flight.

-K-M-
09-10-2015, 11:29 AM
Interesting to note red wolf was apparently supposed to team up with Sasquatch in 2011...maybe not our Sasquatch but who knows...
"In a 2011 interview, writer Jason Aaron (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Aaron) revealed that in his original outline of Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine, the title characters would have been stranded in the 15th century where Spider-Man would have started the New World (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_World) Avengers with Sasquatch, Red Wolf and an Aztec Ghost Rider."

Phil
09-10-2015, 11:32 AM
I'd say it would have been a sasquatch, like the ones he used in his Hulk run, given the timing of the setting.

Mekko Hotvle
09-10-2015, 12:17 PM
The cover artist for Red Wolf is of tribal descent, so maybe we can convince him to include Shaman and talisman on the cover at some point. lol. It would be nice to Have Alpha Flight somehow connected to the Red Wolf series somehow.

Tawmis
09-10-2015, 03:59 PM
With Marvel bringing back Red Wolf, maybe we could see at least Shaman, Talisman and Snowbird make appearances. He could make a trip to Canada after hearing how the First Nations are under attack and he runs into members of Alpha Flight.

I would not hold my breath.

From what I have read of the description, it's going to be dark, gritty, and focus on crime and drama, and in the south.

(And I bet that this new Red Wolf will be female... not that has any impact with Alpha Flight - just Marvel's new MO)...

Le Messor
09-10-2015, 05:27 PM
From what I have read of the description, it's going to be dark, gritty, and focus on crime and drama...

Then I'm going to move from 'that'd be cool' to 'I hope AF doesn't appear'.
But that's just my tastes.

Also, it's mostly the good stuff stars women, not the grim'n'grittyisitstillthe90s stuff.

~ Le Messor
"It will never rain roses; when we want to have more roses we must plant more trees."
~ George Eliot

Tawmis
09-10-2015, 06:46 PM
Then I'm going to move from 'that'd be cool' to 'I hope AF doesn't appear'.
But that's just my tastes.
Also, it's mostly the good stuff stars women, not the grim'n'grittyisitstillthe90s stuff.

Well Marvel seems to be making everyone in the Marvel Universe female, and doing away with their male counter parts. :)

Phil
09-13-2015, 08:08 PM
Well, this could well relate to this (http://alphaflight.net/content.php?888-Alpha-Flight-To-Be-Part-Of-New-Captain-Marvel-Series)...

Tawmis
09-14-2015, 03:53 AM
Well, this could well relate to this (http://alphaflight.net/content.php?888-Alpha-Flight-To-Be-Part-Of-New-Captain-Marvel-Series)...

Funny. Someone on the CBR forum mentioned the same thing on the Alpha Flight thread (that I have tried to keep alive) - and said more news to be released at NYCC.

Le Messor
09-14-2015, 04:36 AM
Keep the dream alive!
Hit the snooze alarm.