PDA

View Full Version : What If...?

Tawmis
10-09-2015, 07:26 PM
So someone (who may be on this forum?) tweeted to me (on my @comicreliefpodc) and to the Alpha Flight Dot Net twitter -

"What if Talisman and Shaman had turned on Alpha Flight?"

I replied, "I couldn't see Shaman turning; but the potential that Talisman could turn is there, because of how the tiara thing essentially removes a person's humanity."

Which make me think - Why not come to the forum here and say - "What are some cool WHAT IF type stories that could center around Alpha Flight?"

So let's hear some potentially interesting WHAT IF type story one liners/ideas for Alpha Flight.

Mokole
10-09-2015, 11:46 PM
What if Alpha Flight/Department H turned on SHIELD and took out all of the WMDs SHIELD protects, like the Zodiac Key and Apocalypse's safe houses?

Mekko Hotvle
10-12-2015, 11:04 AM
What if? Puck was meant to be Ant-man...

Phil
10-12-2015, 01:59 PM
What If John Byrne Didn't Hate Alpha Flight?

Mekko Hotvle
10-12-2015, 03:22 PM
What If? The Great Beasts had defeated Snowbird and Alpha Flight? (remember I am still learning and reading more Alpha Flight stories, so if this happened, let me know which issues)

Tawmis
10-12-2015, 04:45 PM
What If? The Great Beasts had defeated Snowbird and Alpha Flight? (remember I am still learning and reading more Alpha Flight stories, so if this happened, let me know which issues)

Just wait between 20's and 30's for the issue numbers of volume 1...

Mekko Hotvle
11-10-2015, 01:53 PM
What If?! Deadpool was the leader of Alpha Flight?

Tawmis
11-10-2015, 07:50 PM
What If?! Deadpool was the leader of Alpha Flight?

Most of Alpha Flight would probably be dead.

Alphan East
11-10-2015, 09:36 PM
What if... Department H merged with S.H.I.E.L.D. and formed a strike team north of the border, to be used in conjunction with S.H.I.E.L.D. operations. BAM !!! A new series titled... Canadian S.H.I.E.L.D.
With Puck as the Team Leader, operatives include Madison Jeffries, Ghost Girl (all grown up), Aurora, and Nemesis.

Canucklehead
11-10-2015, 11:20 PM
What if... Department H merged with S.H.I.E.L.D. and formed a strike team north of the border, to be used in conjunction with S.H.I.E.L.D. operations. BAM !!! A new series titled... Canadian S.H.I.E.L.D.
With Puck as the Team Leader, operatives include Madison Jeffries, Ghost Girl (all grown up), Aurora, and Nemesis.

Hello, fellow Monctonian :wink:

Alphan East
11-10-2015, 11:25 PM
Imagine... two Alpha fans from the same East Coast town. :)

Tawmis
11-11-2015, 09:02 PM
Hello, fellow Monctonian :wink:

That is actually a pretty cool symbol - if the maple leaf was a little smaller; like on the eagle's chest instead...

Sypes
11-11-2015, 09:17 PM
What IF... one never surely died?

Tawmis
11-12-2015, 12:54 AM

Well, if Vindicator (James) and Jean Grey are any indication - I think it's a safe assumption no one ever truly dies.

I mean at least Bucky is still - oh, wait.

Nevermind.

Like I said, I doubt anyone stays dead for long.

Probably a matter of time before Uncle Ben comes back.

Tawmis
11-12-2015, 12:56 AM

As a side note - how many times HAVE Alpha Flight members died and come back? I mean there was even some story lines where the intention was to kill them and bring them back (early on in the late 20's I think?) - didn't pretty much everyone die to venture where the Great Beasts are? So the majority of Alpha Flight has all died - at least once. Vindicator, quite a few times. Snowbird. Sasquatch. Both in Volume 1. Then there was the Collective incident.

Le Messor
11-12-2015, 03:36 AM
I mean at least Bucky is still - oh, wait.
Probably a matter of time before Uncle Ben comes back.

I've actually seen a Marvel editor say that the only two people in the MU who'll NEVER come back from the dead are Bucky and Uncle Ben.
Ben, we're waiting!

As a side note - how many times HAVE Alpha Flight members died and come back?

As a team? Twice that I can remember - and you've mentioned both.
Individually?
Mac is threatening Jean's record.

Sasquatch was killed by Snowbird (which is why the rest died), then pulled himself out of Shaman's pouch.
Um...
I'm not up to thinking right now. Sorry.

~ Le Messor
"Death is the great adventure beside which moon landings and space trips pale into insignificance."
~ Joseph Bayly (lost three sons to death before age 20)

Phil
11-12-2015, 11:19 AM
Isn't Aurora the only member from the original + #1 line-up to not have died?

Or did she die in an Infinity storyline?

Le Messor
11-12-2015, 02:03 PM
Good point... I think all the Alphans died in Gauntlet. I'll go check.
... Cap gives an Alphabetical tally of disappeared superheroes. It starts with Archangel and moves straight into the 'B's. She also wasn't immediately visible on the front cover (though Vindicator (Heather), Sasquatch, and Puck were).

So, she might be about due.

~ Le Messor
"Courage is more exhilarating than fear, and in the long run, it is easier."
~ Eleanor Roosevelt

rplass
11-12-2015, 09:11 PM
Zombie Aurora killed (off-panel) by Magneto - Marvel Zombies: Dead Days 1
Aurora killed by Agent Zero - Weapon X: Days of Future Now 3
Aurora killed by Krakoa - What If... II 60
AoA Aurora killed by AoA X-23- X-Men: Age of Apocalypse 2
X Aurora killed by Wendigos (BTS) - Universe X 9
Everyone killed by Thanos - Marvel Universe: The End 6

Phil
11-13-2015, 03:18 AM
616 Aurora though? :razz:

Le Messor
11-13-2015, 03:42 AM
X Aurora killed by Wendigos (BTS) - Universe X 9

'BTS'? Behind the scenes?

Legerd
11-14-2015, 08:11 AM
What if Scramble (Lionel Jefferies) had defeated Alpha Flight, and amalgamated them into his Omega form like he did Roger Bochs?

-K-M-
11-16-2015, 11:21 PM
616 Aurora though? :razz:

Alpha Flight #24 (kinda) and Marvel: The End

Le Messor
11-17-2015, 03:31 AM
Alpha Flight #24 (kinda) and Marvel: The End

I don't think The End is 616, but you're right about #24. She was killed, Sure, it lasted less than an issue, but she died.

Phil
11-17-2015, 07:06 AM
Alpha Flight #24 (kinda)
Well remembered, good point.

-K-M-
11-17-2015, 12:42 PM
Yeah apparently the end is canon to 616 universe. For years i thought it wasn't, but breevort confirmed it and it's mentioned in the handbook entry for Thanos and others. Also refered to in the recent Thanos series too

oh and on an earlier point, Mac has only technically died once and that was in the Collective fight (not including his clone)

Phil
11-17-2015, 01:09 PM
I'm pretty sure Brevoort was adamant it wasn't canon.

-K-M-
11-17-2015, 01:10 PM
Yeah that was a typo. Meant to say he said it wasn't canon, but it's mentioned in the handbooks and recently in the Thanos book by starlin making it canon

even today he still says its non-canon,'but it's referenced in the actual comics *shrugs*

Phil
11-17-2015, 01:13 PM
I'm not getting back into the Handbooks not being a dead-rule for canon conversation again :D

The Thanos thing I think he tried explaining somewhere, not sure what the end result is though.

-K-M-
11-17-2015, 01:42 PM
Yeah I always thought it was non-canon but since starlin has been doing those new Thanos mini-series it has referenced The End. Then again I could see breevort just making those minis non-canon. I haven't seen breevort reply on them yet but sure he has

Phil
11-17-2015, 01:46 PM
Let's face it, comics are a mess lately!

-K-M-
11-17-2015, 01:49 PM
100% agree. Even DC is a terrible mess since convergence

Le Messor
11-17-2015, 02:27 PM
oh and on an earlier point, Mac has only technically died once and that was in the Collective fight (not including his clone)

To me, any death counts if the reader is expected to believe it. Especially if the writer meant it at the time!
I think the same about Jean.

Let's face it, comics are a mess lately!

Since how long? It's an interesting question, I think:
For me, it's since the '90s; others would probably say more recently. Others might say we're on the upswing. Others say since the '80s.

That said, there are still things out there that are good.

~ Le Messor
"My 90s-era comic collection won't burn itself!"
~ Teenomicon, Welcome To Showside #1

Tawmis
11-17-2015, 04:31 PM
100% agree. Even DC is a terrible mess since convergence

This breaks my heart so much. Because I was never a big DC fan. Used to hate Superman and Batman comics, because it seemed like every story, they were just impossible to beat, to the point that it was ridiculous. Even Captain America gets his @$$ handed to him - quite frequently. Granted, Superman "died" (gimmick) and Batman eventually got his back broken.

But New 52 was where I set all of my preconceived notions aside, and said, "I am going to give every book a try!" And I literally collected just about every New 52 - even if it was full of characters I never heard of (Justice League International, for example; Katana, Vibe, etc). And I really, really liked the New 52. It felt like "classic" super hero comics to me. Good guys fighting bad guys. No over the top drama and dialogue bubbles covering everything (I love dialogue, but a lot of writers go WAY overboard and forget they're telling a story in a comic, not a novel).

Then Convergence happened. And my collecting dropped in DC to barely anything. Marvel, even less.

To me, any death counts if the reader is expected to believe it. Especially if the writer meant it at the time!
I think the same about Jean.

Agreed; because the writer planned that character's death. Some other writer then come along and say, "He teleported away at the right time, and has just been missing for 10 years" or "It was actually a clone by Government Agency X!"

Since how long? It's an interesting question, I think:
For me, it's since the '90s; others would probably say more recently. Others might say we're on the upswing. Others say since the '80s.
That said, there are still things out there that are good.

For me it was definitely the 90's. While it had some great comics out there - that I think are absolutely ground breaking in terms of story telling (New Warriors under Fabian) - the 90's was also the time that it felt like comics shifted from being about the story to being about the art. And we saw a rise in folks like Marc Silvestri (whose art I absolutely love), Rob Liefeld, Todd McFarlane, Jim Lee (and basically everyone who would eventually go on to make IMAGE which also boomed in the 90's - and cemented the "art over the story" vibe). Because I love me some WildCATS and CyberForce - but re-reading those, you can tell the story telling is very weak, but the art was fantastic. And with IMAGE's rise in popularity back then, I think the Big Two shifted that way. Avengers and X-Men, both staple books for me, back then, became very blah.

Tawmis
11-17-2015, 04:32 PM
What if Scramble (Lionel Jefferies) had defeated Alpha Flight, and amalgamated them into his Omega form like he did Roger Bochs?

That would be one very powerful - and undoubtedly - insane! - piece of blobby flesh!

Mekko Hotvle
11-18-2015, 11:52 AM
What If?! Alpha Flight teamed up with Justice League?! Which version of AF would you want to team up with JL?

Le Messor
11-18-2015, 02:34 PM
Justice League!
Good one, eh?

OTOH, 'which version'? There's only ever one answer with me - Byrne's version.

Tawmis
11-19-2015, 08:48 PM
What If?! Alpha Flight teamed up with Justice League?! Which version of AF would you want to team up with JL?

Especially since they (sort of) had a Justice League Canada.

Mekko Hotvle
11-20-2015, 01:08 PM
Never did get to read that JLC/Justice League United which I had to search to see who was part of the JLC. Adam Strange, Supergirl, Hawkman, Green Arrow, Stargirl, Martian Manhunter and Animal Man, and the young Canadian Miiyahbin. Did anyone read this?

Mekko Hotvle
11-20-2015, 01:13 PM
Stargirl vs Aurora! How would this play out?

Tawmis
11-20-2015, 01:48 PM
Never did get to read that JLC/Justice League United which I had to search to see who was part of the JLC. Adam Strange, Supergirl, Hawkman, Green Arrow, Stargirl, Martian Manhunter and Animal Man, and the young Canadian Miiyahbin. Did anyone read this?

I did. I had high hopes - it had Supergirl, Hawkman, Green Arrow who I am already fans of - and then I became a fan of Stargirl for her appearance throughout the New 52.

But the title did not feel like it had any pacing. It felt like it was everywhere. And I can't even stand Animal Man... Literally made the story almost unbearable every time he showed up... He's this "animal man" but came across as nothing more than an annoyance... I wasn't buying his "feral" nature.

Legerd
11-22-2015, 12:49 PM

I picked it up for a bit, because I wanted to see what they would do with the new character, Equinox. Sadly, the story kept stringing me along for months without her doing anything, being in costume, or even meeting the other heroes.

Le Messor
11-22-2015, 02:32 PM
I picked it up for a bit, because I wanted to see what they would do with the new character, Equinox. Sadly, the story kept stringing me along for months without her doing anything, being in costume, or even meeting the other heroes.

Sounds like a case of decompressed story-telling combined with the need for the Mystery.

What if John Byrne hadn't quit the book?

Tawmis
11-23-2015, 07:25 PM

Sasquatch would not have died.
Snowbird would not have died.
Puck would not have a spirit in him.
Alpha Flight wouldn't have been replaced by a "B" Squad.

The downside, there would have been no Goblyn - who I actually liked (her and Laura). Though not enough to have replaced the rest of Alpha Flight.

I truly think that if he had remained on the book - though he claimed he didn't enjoy it - that the book would have done exceptionally well.

Garry/Al-Fan
11-24-2015, 12:42 PM
Isn't Aurora the only member from the original + #1 line-up to not have died?

Aurora/Jeanne-Marie, Northstar/Jean-Paul, and Talisman/Elizabeth suffered "psychic death" by Somon in AF (vol. 1) # 24; Walter helped save them all.

I didn't know there was another character named "Equinox" other than the Marvel one. It's too bad that nobody is really doing anything with characters...new or old...that I have a real interest in. Got any pictures of the DC character you can post?

Sounds like a case of decompressed story-telling combined with the need for the Mystery.

I find Alpha Flight volume 1 #s 1 through 28 to be more memorable than a lot of the other, more celebrated work. What constitutes "drama" in a comic-book is something I still wonder about to this day: a lot of the vulnerability of the original character's definitely lends itself to life-or-death drama. What seems to separate what is believable and what isn't believable is the amount of effort put into the plausibility of the characterizations, motivations, and plot: some creators put some thought and effort into the plausibility, some did not.

Le Messor
11-24-2015, 02:35 PM
I didn't know there was another character named "Equinox" other than the Marvel one.

Who is the Marvel one?
(But I should warn you, if they're Alpha-Related, I'm gonna be most embarrassed.)

I find Alpha Flight volume 1 #s 1 through 28 to be more memorable than a lot of the other, more celebrated work. ...the amount of effort put into the plausibility of the characterizations, motivations, and plot: some creators put some thought and effort into the plausibility, some did not.

I find Byrne's work on AF and X-Men to feel far more real to me than anybody's work on the titles before or since. (Okay, there's no 'before' on AF.) It's more fun and natural than... well, most other comics period. Than any of the new age of 'realism' we've got to deal with, than any of that dark garbage that people rave about so much.

Uh... That isn't to say I think everything he's ever done is great, or that he's the only one doing any good work out there. I've enjoyed a lot of other things, a lot of them more than his X-Men, some of them almost as much as his Alpha.

~ Le Messor
"Discipline is the soul of an army. It makes small numbers formidable; procures success to the weak, and esteem to all."
~ George Washington, letter of instruction to the Virginia Regiments

Alphan East
11-24-2015, 05:41 PM
Here is a link to the bio for Equinox - Marvel Comics:

http://www.comicvine.com/equinox/4005-42854/

Here is a link to the bio for Equinox - DC Comics:

http://www.comicvine.com/equinox/4005-100121/

Legerd
11-25-2015, 12:20 AM
I find Byrne's work on AF and X-Men to feel far more real to me than anybody's work on the titles before or since. (Okay, there's no 'before' on AF.) It's more fun and natural than... well, most other comics period. Than any of the new age of 'realism' we've got to deal with, than any of that dark garbage that people rave about so much.

I thought I was the only one who felt this way. Back in the early 2000's it was particularly annoying whenever I wished the writing of the 70's and 80's would return to have posters suggest kiddie comics may be more my speed, only to then have them swoon over supposed "mature" comics that read like teen fanfic. Having swearing and sex in a book may make it mature reading, but not necessarily mature writing.
Byrne (and a few other writers of the time), however, was able to present stories that conformed to the comics code, but still included adult situations that dealt with sensitive, deep topics. They were good reading that conveyed complex ideas that weren't dumbed down to make it past the code. In fact the code forced the writers to up their game in my opinion.

Le Messor
11-25-2015, 03:35 AM
Here is a link to the bio for Equinox - Marvel Comics and - DC Comics
Thanks! :) Marvel has a bit of a Frankie Raye thing going; DC is kinda Wasp-ish.

I thought I was the only one who felt this way. Back in the early 2000's it was particularly annoying whenever I wished the writing of the 70's and 80's would return...
I think we're in a small but growing minority. I do prefer comics under the Code. These days, I keep reading writers who want to make the world more cynical, meaner, and nastier. If I got to speak to them, I'd say 'Congratulations! As far as I'm concerned, it's working. Every time I hear your name, I get cynical, mean, and nasty.'
~ Le Messor
"Do first what you dread the most."
~ Joel Freeman

Garry/Al-Fan
11-25-2015, 12:12 PM
Here is a link to the bio for Equinox - Marvel Comics:

http://www.comicvine.com/equinox/4005-42854/

Wow. They killed off Margay Sorenson (Terry's mom), had a Skrull duplicate of Terry/Equinox, and made no mention of his daughter, Janet. G/A-F

Here is a link to the bio for Equinox - DC Comics:

http://www.comicvine.com/equinox/4005-100121/

DC's "Equinox" looks interesting, from this excerpt.

Legerd
12-04-2015, 08:31 PM
These days, I keep reading writers who want to make the world more cynical, meaner, and nastier. If I got to speak to them, I'd say 'Congratulations! As far as I'm concerned, it's working. Every time I hear your name, I get cynical, mean, and nasty.'
Ha, love it! There are a few writers I'd say that to.

Mekko Hotvle
04-08-2016, 03:19 PM
What if!?!?....Puck was Weapon X?

What if!?!?....Aurora became Phoenix?

Le Messor
04-08-2016, 08:28 PM

Good one, eh?

Tawmis
04-09-2016, 04:51 AM
What if!?!?....Puck was Weapon X?

If we were to accept the Razer story - I could see that when they subjected Puck to the process of adamantium, that Razer would break free and decimate everyone - and Puck would regain conscious, an older man, now with adamantium, on a quest to find and recapture Razer...

I could see this. Especially with Aurora's frequently fractured mental state; it'd fit - because I believe it helped break Jean's own mental state (between that, and the manipulation by Mastermind).

Mekko Hotvle
06-02-2016, 06:55 PM
What if?!?!? James Hudson was the an undercover Hydra agent wearing Captain American uniform?

Mekko Hotvle
06-02-2016, 06:56 PM
What if?!?! Puck was an Hydra agent? Hail Hydra Eh!!

Tawmis
06-02-2016, 08:40 PM
What if?!?!? James Hudson was the an undercover Hydra agent wearing Captain American uniform?

Would just be one more retcon that James would have to eventually go through. As if he's not been through enough.

Human Fly
06-02-2016, 10:18 PM
What if Hudson was never killer in issue 12 and stayed in NY?

Human Fly
06-02-2016, 10:19 PM
What if Hudson had stayed with the government and developed his suite for the Military?

Tawmis
06-03-2016, 11:21 AM
What if Hudson was never killer in issue 12 and stayed in NY?

Then Heather would have never became Vindicator.

And that would have been a wonderful thing (for me, anyway).

Legerd
06-03-2016, 02:12 PM
What if Marrina became mother to a new Plodex invasion?

What if it had been Sabertooth that Mac and Heather had found in Wood Buffalo National Park rather than Wolverine?

What if Mac, Heather, Walter and Eugene had been the ones to be bombarded by cosmic rays rather than Reed, Sue, Johnny and Ben?

Tawmis
06-04-2016, 04:53 PM
What if Marrina became mother to a new Plodex invasion?

I could see it happening. Sadly, so that someone could kill her off.
Again.

What if it had been Sabertooth that Mac and Heather had found in Wood Buffalo National Park rather than Wolverine?

Yes, please.

What if Mac, Heather, Walter and Eugene had been the ones to be bombarded by cosmic rays rather than Reed, Sue, Johnny and Ben?

That is actually a really cool WHAT IF idea...
I'd see ..
Mac = Mister Fantastic
Heather = Invisible Woman
Walter = Human Torch
Eugene = Mini Thing.

Human Fly
06-04-2016, 06:37 PM
I love the cosmic rays concept!...but I would want them to have totally different powers from their own and from the original FF. Has it ever been explained why the FF got their own specific powers...is it simply based on something in their DNA or personality that reacted to the cosmic rays? (Johnny Storms a hothead so he became the human-torch). If so you could have lots of fun coming up with original powers based on the Flight's DNA...personality and history.

I remember Walter was in college with Bruce Banner so it seems that he would still be condemned by fate to be the strong guy...but maybe not. Off topic a bit but I always like the idea of a supergroup all having the same powers but as time goes on they discover didn't ways to use them.

Human Fly
06-04-2016, 06:42 PM
Here another what if ....what if Hudson along with Roger Bochs and Jeffries stays with Department H and is contacted to build a guardian suit for every province and territory. Wrapped in their flags and the leader of the group would be wearing the Guardian suit?...remember that knockoff transformer that Bryne created? It came in sections & "kinda looked like box"? it was a military what ever happened to that thing? Kinda like that...but better.

Legerd
06-04-2016, 07:11 PM
I love the cosmic rays concept!...but I would want them to have totally different powers from their own and from the original FF.
That was my thinking, that they would end up with different powers than the original FF. Just wanted to leave it blank for other posters to fill in.

Off topic a bit but I always like the idea of a supergroup all having the same powers but as time goes on they discover didn't ways to use them.
I like that idea. It would be a great way to develop the individuality of each character through how they use their powers and not by what their powers are.

Here another what if ....what if Hudson along with Roger Bochs and Jeffries stays with Department H and is contacted to build a guardian suit for every province and territory. Wrapped in their flags and the leader of the group would be wearing the Guardian suit?...remember that knockoff transformer that Bryne created? It came in sections & "kinda looked like box"? it was a military what ever happened to that thing? Kinda like that...but better.
Actually, I'm surprised Marvel hasn't done something along these lines yet with the MU Canadian military. Being that it really isn't a large force, and that they have everything to build Box bots, it would make sense for this kind of scenario.

Canucklehead
06-07-2016, 12:43 AM
I've always wanted to see what if Madison Jeffries had taken on the Guardian suit instead of Heather. I think he was asked once but turned it down. He was already really powerful, humble and likeable. Unshaven and a little rough to look at, but a really skilled Mechanic. Not book-smart like Mac but street-smart. Imagine that personality and power put into that suit. I think that character could have really taken off, with no need to bring back Mac from his epic death scene. They should have just stuck with the plan and let the man rest in peace.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Heather's evolution as a leader, but you just knew they'd bring back Mac at some point to challenge her, which they did multiple times. Heather could have eventually risen from Government Liaison to Director of Dept H. Or if you'd prefer her in the field, Jeffries and Bochs could have built Heather a non-maple leaf flag suit or she could have been exposed to Terigen and turned out to be Inhuman or whatever! In any case, had Jeffries been given the suit, imo the Guardian character would have become a more richer, memorable leader then Mac. I'd love to see where writers could have taken him (instead of eventually hoping the border and falling into obscurity on an X-Men D-Team).

http://s33.postimg.org/b4tmmdv1r/delete.jpg

I would have loved to see what he could do in that suit.

Mokole
06-07-2016, 01:03 AM
I always thought Feedback would be good in the Guardian suit, as he could power it himself.

Tawmis
06-08-2016, 12:01 AM
I've always wanted to see what if Madison Jeffries had taken on the Guardian suit instead of Heather. Unshaven and a little rough to look at, but a really skilled Mechanic. Not book-smart like Mac but street-smart. Imagine that personality and power put into that suit. I think that character could have really taken off, with no need to bring back Mac from his epic death scene. They should have just stuck with the plan and let the man rest in peace.

Honestly, when they introduced him and we got to see his power; I honestly believed this is exactly where Alpha Flight was headed (with him in the costume, to replace Mac).

And, had they gone that route - it would have been interesting, if they developed that relationship between Heather and him; and her wondering if she was just falling in love with the idea of Mac (since Madison would be wearing the costume), rather than Madison himself.

Opportunities wasted, I say.

Legerd
06-08-2016, 11:13 AM
That is actually a really cool WHAT IF idea...
I'd see ..
Mac = Mister Fantastic
Heather = Invisible Woman
Walter = Human Torch
Eugene = Mini Thing.

I was thinking of making them similar, but different like the U-foes. Mac gains the ability to manipulate quantum properties; Heather can turn into, create/project and manipulate sound; Walter is transformed into diamond; and Eugene can turn into living plasma (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_%28physics%29).

Legerd
06-08-2016, 11:25 AM
I always thought Feedback would be good in the Guardian suit, as he could power it himself.
I always wanted to see the Master of the World clone Feedback to create an endless supply of living batteries to power his weapons, vehicles, computers, etc.

Tawmis
06-08-2016, 12:57 PM
I was thinking of making them similar, but different like the U-foes. Mac gains the ability to manipulate quantum properties; Heather can turn into, create/project and manipulate sound; Walter is transformed into diamond; and Eugene can turn into living plasma (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_%28physics%29).

I just want to see Puck as a Mini-Thing. :)

Maybe call him Pebble?
:)

Tawmis
06-08-2016, 12:58 PM
I always wanted to see the Master of the World clone Feedback to create an endless supply of living batteries to power his weapons, vehicles, computers, etc.

See, that would have been a cool idea, and a cool thing to do with Feedback, who didn't do much...
And then, make it so the only way to break the "battery" is to kill Feedback; and so Alpha Flight is in that moral predicament ...

Le Messor
06-08-2016, 04:25 PM

Maybe hook his mind into a virtual reality, so he believes he's living a normal life, all gathered together in some sort of matrix...

Legerd
06-08-2016, 10:57 PM
Maybe hook his mind into a virtual reality, so he believes he's living a normal life, all gathered together in some sort of matrix...
Oh, yeah, that would be the kind of thing the Master might do to keep his "power source" compliant. In fact it would be a cool way to reintroduce a few characters we thought depowered during M Day.

PlaidMouse
09-19-2016, 11:51 AM
What if John Byrne had created AF for DC? Or for another company? Or independently?
What if Heather Hudson and Elizabeth Twoyoungmen were never neighbors?
What if each real Canadian PM was a member of AF? What powers would they have? My guess would be that Alexander Mackenzie would have brick/stone based powers. Your thoughts fellow Alphans?

Le Messor
09-19-2016, 04:29 PM
That first lot could've meant I never read comics. I might never have got my hands on Alpha if they weren't Marvel, and if I hadn't, I might never have started collecting.

~ Le Messor
"I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory."
~ Unknown

PlaidMouse
09-20-2016, 01:49 AM
Cool, thanks for the reply Le Messor! Also love your different quotes after each post. What do you think of the other scenarios I posted?

Le Messor
09-20-2016, 04:12 AM
Thanks. :)

On the surface, Heather and Elizabeth living somewhere else wouldn't do much... until you realise it'd mean Heather probably never met Michael. Which means Michael - and therefore Narya - would never be team members. The world would've ended half a dozen ways because of that.

As to the PMs... Look, I know so little about politics, I wouldn't even recognise the deputy PM of my own country if I got off a plane from New Zealand and some guy was waiting to pick her up and I saw that so I walked around those two people and then my parents said 'Do you even know who you just rammed into?'... but I'd probably recognise her later if she became full PM.

~ Le Messor
"I know a lot of people think I'm dumb. Well, at least I ain't no educated fool."
~ Leon Spinks

PlaidMouse
09-20-2016, 05:22 AM
Thanks for your insight Le Messor! Here are my thoughts if I may:
1. You make a good point of Alpha Flight being recognizable because of them being a Marvel comic. Nonetheless, I have enjoyed getting to know the DC characters other than the main ones (though I've enjoyed getting to know them too) and getting to know the independents. I was born and raised in the U.S., so it made access to the comics much easier (not trying to rub it in, just stating a fact). It's fun to think about Alpha Flight meeting up with the DC characters (and the ones they have acquired over the years). How would they deal with the Justice League (especially sing Aurora and Northstar battling the Flash!), or the fighting Captain Marvel/Shazam (Shaman's magic against Earth's Mightiest Mortal), or dealing with Booster Gold and the 2nd Blue Beetle, etc. Fun to think about. Also fun thinking about them with Marvel teams they don't usually meet, like Power Pack (another favorite of mine).
2. Good points about Heather never meeting Michael and Narya, though I wonder if somehow they wouldn't have found out about each other later in life (though would this be in time to help save the world?). I also think about Elizabeth staying with Heather and her family. Where would she have gone? Again, all fun to think about.
3. I know politics are a touchy subject, so my apologies. However, as an American, I feel this need to know more about the world because so many Americans don't know, especially about Canada! I'll think about the PMs and maybe come up with a list of possible appropriate superpowers they may have had based on their time in office. Okay, thanks again! I'm really enjoying being a part of this website community. I'm sorry I didn't join sooner!

Legerd
09-21-2016, 05:29 PM
What if each real Canadian PM was a member of AF? What powers would they have? My guess would be that Alexander Mackenzie would have brick/stone based powers. Your thoughts fellow Alphans?
Agree in regards to Mackenzie's powers, and think Sir John A. Macdonald would be a master of Zui Quan, or Drunken Fist style of martial arts. :D

PlaidMouse
09-23-2016, 12:29 AM
Agree in regards to Mackenzie's powers, and think Sir John A. Macdonald would be a master of Zui Quan, or Drunken Fist style of martial arts. :D
Love it and totally agree. Maybe even some railroad based powers for Sir John A., but drunken master fits perfectly. For John Abbot, since he was the first PM born in the territory of Canada, maybe some land based powers. He was also a very skilled corporate lawyer and businessman, so maybe powers of speech or persuasion (not to take the limelight from Purple Girl). John Thompson might have size based powers. I'll keep working on the rest. Any more thoughts welcomed! Thanks again Legerd.

Legerd
09-23-2016, 02:06 PM
William Lyon Mackenzie King would have the power to contact and speak with the dead, and Richard Bedford Bennett would have gamma-based powers like he Hulk, but his would increase or decrease depending on his wealth.

Le Messor
09-23-2016, 05:30 PM
Richard Bedford Bennett would have gamma-based powers like he Hulk...

Wait... Canada had a PM named Bennett?

He's named like my name!

Legerd
09-26-2016, 09:32 PM
Wait... Canada had a PM named Bennett?

He's named like my name!

OMG! Are you our long lost PM?

Le Messor
09-27-2016, 04:44 AM
:D only the last name... only the last.

PlaidMouse
09-29-2016, 08:10 AM
William Lyon Mackenzie King would have the power to contact and speak with the dead, and Richard Bedford Bennett would have gamma-based powers like he Hulk, but his would increase or decrease depending on his wealth.
Right on! Good call with PM King. Bedford is a good one too, since he ended up as a noble in England. It would be interesting to see him put his money in a CD (slowly become big and green) or put it in the stock market (which would be a lot more fun from a comic book perspective). I guess PM Le Messor is a good successor, given that he has Sasquatch's powers ;)

Okay, Mackenzie Bowell would most likely have powers related to animals, like Animal Man, due to his affinity for fur coats. Or, maybe powers based on pride, since he had a lot of it, it seems, even though he didn't do a very good job. I see Charles Tupper having immortality, as he waited so long to be PM! Wilfrid Laurier would have unifying or peacemaking powers, a type of calming telepathy, I would think. I see Robert Borden as having some sort of war like powers. Maybe being a human bomb, a human cannon, or a one man army (can make tons of multiples of himself). Yes, the one man army would work the best for Borden. Lastly for this post, I see Arthur Meighen having some sort of powers of resistance (physical or mental), since he spent so long as leader of the opposition with King being PM. Okay, more to fellow. We have 12 more PMs to go! What if we try to finish this list?

Ogrebear
03-30-2017, 04:21 AM
What If Walter had taken Hulk's body?

Bruce encouraged Walter to take the Hulk body as at that time Bruce was ready to pass on. Walter refused to do that to his old friend, but in this timeline he takes the offer (perhaps due to Beyonder prompting), and its Bruce who becomes lost at the Crossroads.

Walter returns in Hulk's body- he has all the Savage Hulk's power level, but none of the 'rage power up' - he also cannot transform back into a Human form. At first he is feared, but it becomes clear this is Walter, not Hulk, or even Bruce. Aurora rejects him as 'ugly' which causes Walter pain, but he survives.

Walter wears a costume and names himself Powerhouse, and having him and Roger in the Box armour gives Alpha Flight some serious fighting power. Plus having Walter back gives them some science support- though the kit has to be scaled up for his new form. With Walter around the problems with Roger's legs are discovered quickly after he gets them, and are fixed using a regenerator Walter is able to cobble together with some help from Hank McCoy. Lionel is confronted early, and is subdued easily.

Bruce would later return in the body of Smart Alec, free of the Hulk...