PDA

View Full Version : The Old What Are You Collecting Thread :)

DelBubs
01-12-2004, 05:34 AM
Just to get things rolling. At present I'm getting

Marvel
UXM (Gone after the trial of Juggs, not even Northstar can make me stay, will pick up AF appearences, as long as they are done properly)
Weapon X (Gone after AF debuts, I need an AF fix in the meantime)
Supreme Power

And of course Alpha Flight

IDW
C.S.I
Silent Hill, The Shield(both due in early 2004)

Wildstorm
Stormwatch : Team Achilles
The Authority

Vertigo
Hellblazer

Oni-Press
Queen & Country

Thats about it, not a lot out there I really like at present.

Ben
01-12-2004, 10:43 AM
I was collecting some other titles for a while, but none of them have been "doing it for me" so I let them all slide one by one. I've been tempted to collect Uncanny, just to see Northstar, but haven't as of yet. Since I'll be buying AF, I may gur Uncanny, just to see what's going on with ol' JP

DelBubs
01-12-2004, 10:58 AM
I'm going the other way. I started collecting UXM when Northstar joined, have kept going on it cos of the few Af appearences, but not even NS continued prescence can convince me to buy anymore. Chuck Austens writing just ain't for me.

Major Mapleleaf Jr
02-06-2004, 03:09 PM
Being the big New Mutants (and Dani Moonstar, obviously) fan that I am, I'm currently hooked on New Mutants v. 2, as well as Runaways. NYX, occasion, though I personally don't see what the hype is all about. New X-Men is also somewhat enjoyable, but Uncanny... :evil: Chuck Austen is anathema. Alpha Flight will probably be the third of three series that I'm collecting (the other two being NM and Runaways). Frankly, only these three books interest me.

DelBubs
02-06-2004, 06:52 PM
Someone said that Northstar is gonna be appearing in New Mutants, so I'll pick up the issues with him in and see whats occuring. Not even sure who is a New Mutant at present, but I think three Guthries are Mutants of some kind, so kinda guess they are somewhere on the periphery.

Phil
02-06-2004, 07:17 PM
It's the one that comes out this Weds/Thur.

There's a preview up at http://www.comicscontinuum.com

DelBubs
02-06-2004, 07:44 PM
It's the one that comes out this Weds/Thur.

There's a preview up at http://www.comicscontinuum.com

I thank you kind sir, is it his first appearence in NM's?

Phil
02-07-2004, 08:55 AM
Well, there was a brief cameo in #2 of him teaching a flight class.

Major Mapleleaf Jr
02-07-2004, 03:18 PM
He was also in #7, disciplining one of his students. The writers of NM are very fond of JP.

Also, the cast of NM is as follows:

Dani Moonstar, Karma, Magma (she's gone now to X-Treme X-Men), and soon Wolfsbane - they're serving as teachers.

Sofia Mantega - Venezuelan-American with the mutant ability to manipulate the wind.
Laurie Collins - Withdrawn, shy blonde with the (currently uncontrollable) ability to emit pheromones that alter other's emotions to mirror her own.
David Alleyne - Bright Chicago boy with the mutant ability to "know" what other people know, in terms of knowledge and skills, but not powers.
Kevin Ford - Atlanta "goth" boy with the mutant ability to decay living matter on contact. Currently not at the school.
Josh Foley - Blonde a**hole and former anti-mutant bigot with the mutant ability to heal others.

DelBubs
02-07-2004, 10:11 PM
Given what Dani... has said plus with what I saw at Continuum, I'll pick up #8 and see what I think.

Phil
02-14-2004, 04:46 PM
I dunno if it's worth picking up just for JP mate, but he's written a lot better than Austen has done, and it's generally really nice stuff.

Mystic
03-01-2004, 09:57 AM
Here are the titles that I collect:

Marvel Comics

Uncanny X-Men - I think Chuck Austen should be fired from this book, as it seems to be too many members to focus one book on. His new story 'She Lies With Angels' isn't too bad though. But I'll still collect it as long as JP is in it.

New X-Men - I love this book. The stories have been amazing. I'm a little sad to see that Grant Morrisson is leaving the series, and that it'll be written by Chuck Austen :(

New Mutants - I'm liking this series, but am aware that they're cancelling it to bring in New X-Men: Academy X when they do whatever this reload thing is.

Exiles - A very good comic. I always liked the 'What If...?' series, and this gives you a regular cast of characters too (Especially Blink...who I like)

Weapon X - I'm a fan of evil government agency stuff (which is why I liked vol.2 of AF). Though now it seems a bit too scattered for my tastes. I think they need to reign in the characters and have a team book again. I will also keep collecting this title (through good and bad) because of the AF characters in it.

Elektra - Great series.

Emma Frost - I love the White Queen. Enough said.

I will obviously be collecting AF when it comes out too :D

Wildstorm / DC

Stormwatch: Team Achilles - What else can I say other than this title rocks! Great writing, great stories, and an in-your-face attitude that is a welcome change from everything else I read.

Fallen Angel - Great title. Written by Peter David, so y'know it's gotta be good.

Major Mapleleaf
03-01-2004, 01:36 PM
Marvel

Alpha Flight (When released)
She-Hulk (When released)
Iron Fist (When released)
Knights 4
Fantastic Four
Ultimate Fantastic Four
Daredevil

DC

Firestorm (When released)
Richard Dragon (When released)

Jack Staff

As you can see right now, I am doing a lot of patient waiting.

Major Mapleleaf Jr
03-02-2004, 10:39 AM
I've pared my list down to New Mutants, Runaways, and Alpha Flight (already pre-ordered it). Nothing else holds my interest for toooo long.

beetleblack
03-02-2004, 10:54 AM
I know this has been said time and time again, but aren't there now way too many X titles in the Marvel Universe??? I've now heard that they are bringing back Excalibur (which was a favourite title of mine - being a Brit and a fan of Kitty 'Shadowcat' Pryde and Rachel 'Phoenix' Summers!).

Thing is if you're like me and been away from the comic scene for a number of years you have NO idea where to start with some of these books AND I hear that they are doing a new crossover/relaunch of ALL the X-titles called Reloaded and are changing the name of New Mutants to 'New X-Men: Academy X' (a bit of a mouthful!) - will this make it easier or harder to get into these books or not??? :? Who knows...

As for titles I'm 'collecting', at the moment I am definitely collecting Alpha Flight, I have the first few issues of New Mutants so intend to give that a go (whatever title it ends up with), I have a few issues of Namor but haven't read them yet (in truth I was more attracted by the covers than anything else!), toying with the idea of Weapon X (although only to see glimpses of my fave Alphans... other than that I intend to start reading DC's Teen Titans and Outsiders as I was a fan of both titles before!

If anyone has any other recommendations let me know. :wink:

Phil
03-02-2004, 02:38 PM
Kitty's not gonna be in Excalibur.
She'll be in joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men.
Rachael will be though.

And Wowzers, midlands UK?

How far from say, Wolverhampton are ya?

beetleblack
03-02-2004, 08:09 PM
YAYYY - Rachel's gonna be in Excalibur, cool news. Last I heard she was dead or was living in the future or something - still, people are never dead/gone forever in the world of comics. Great news about Kitty too, when will this Astonishing X-Men launch? (And if I start collecting it how will I ever catch up on what all the characters have been doing for the last ten years!!!!) How long will Joss Whedon be writing it for? For a limited time or indefinitely?

Btw, actually got around to reading the first few issues of New Mutants today and have to say that I thought they were pretty good. Not sure how it will change when the name change/relaunch/'reload' comes about, I'm just hoping that it won't get too bogged down in continuity with all the other X-books... :(

Puck
03-13-2004, 09:26 PM
Well at the moment I am collecting:

New Mutants
X-treme X-men
Exiles
Alpha Flight
Uncanny X-men
New X-men

Though it will change considerably when Reload Happens
In May I will get all the X-titles and see which I like, this'll be really hard for me as I want to collect all the X-titles at a time, except I don't collect X-Statix because it is a disgrace to the X-series and was made to be stupid

beetleblack
03-14-2004, 07:56 AM
There are just too many X titles now - there is no way I could afford to follow them all. I'm planning on trying a few out when they are re-loaded or whatever they're calling it happens.

I actually hear good things about X-Static, although I don't like the looks of it myself, at least it dares to be different. The fact that it's major storyline (the Princess Diana one) was postponed and then re-written (well, Diana was renamed and her hair colour changed) didn't really help the book any. Personally they should never have cowed down or felt under pressure to change the storyline at all (IMO).

HavokThePowerful
03-20-2004, 05:14 PM
Here is what I'm currently getting:

Marvel

Avengers
Hawkeye
She-Hulk
Spider-Girl
Mystique
Wolverine
Exiles
Alpha Flight
Emma Frost
X-men and Spider-man unlimited
Uncanny X-men
New X-men
X-treme X-men
New Mutants
Weapon X
Ultimate X-men
Ultimates
Ultimate Spider-man
Ultimate Fantastic Four
Runaways
NYX

DC

Green Lantern
Superman/Batman

and I think thats it

Nalyd Psycho
03-23-2004, 06:05 AM
In a state of flux right now...

Alpha Flight
Supreme Power
Iron Man
Negation War
Wildguard: Casting Call
Rose and Thorn
Wildcats Ver. 3.0
Birds of Prey
My Faith in Frankie
Y: The Last Man (In trade form.)

and constantly trying other titles.

DelBubs
03-23-2004, 02:55 PM
In a state of flux right now...

Alpha Flight
Supreme Power...

and constantly trying other titles.
Alpha, well it goes without saying :-)
Supreme Power : JMS, I'm a great fan of Babylon 5 and Rising Stars when/If it ever gets going again is a great read. Midnight Nation was another good read, but I cannot bring myself to look at his Marvel stuff apart from SP, where he can give free rein to his writing.

HavokThePowerful
03-23-2004, 06:32 PM
What do you guys think about the new teen titans? i'm think about picking up the trade when it comes out next wekk i think.

beetleblack
03-23-2004, 06:59 PM
What do you guys think about the new teen titans? i'm think about picking up the trade when it comes out next wekk i think.

I haven't read any of it yet - I'm just pleased to see trhat Raven is back and she isn't evil AND she has a body!!! She was always my favourite Titan. I lost interest in the Titans many years ago sometime after Titan Hunt with Zero Hour... Also Team Titans sucked - no one like or cared about the characters so suddenly they don't exist anymore!!! :lol:

I'm going to give this title a go I think and also the new Outsiders (even though Halo, Katana and Looker are no longer around :cry: ).

Nalyd Psycho
03-23-2004, 07:29 PM

I love collecting the Wolfman Perez back issues, but I know that's not what your talking about. I too have yet to read it, but I'll be grabbing the trade, just too killer a deal to pass on concidering the reviews are solid and the characters are good. If you like team superheroics and you got the cash, at that price it's worth it.

HavokThePowerful
03-23-2004, 08:34 PM
I love collecting the Wolfman Perez back issues, but I know that's not what your talking about. I too have yet to read it, but I'll be grabbing the trade, just too killer a deal to pass on concidering the reviews are solid and the characters are good. If you like team superheroics and you got the cash, at that price it's worth it.

My thoughts exactly. Except for the back issue parts.

Richv1
04-22-2004, 07:16 PM
Well I am collecting at present:
Alpha Flight
Wolverine
the Amazing Spider-Man
Captain America/Falcon
She-Hulk
Iron Fist
ANT
Kolchak: tales of the Night Stalker
Superman/Batman
JLA
Batgirl
Sojourn
the Magdalena
Vampirella Mag
Banzai Girl
The Phantom
Victory
Batman: Death and the Maidens
Marvel Knights Spider-Man

Major Mapleleaf Jr
04-23-2004, 01:16 AM
Okay, time for a little update...

I'm currently collecting New Mutants, Alpha Flight, Runaways, X-Treme X-Men (for my Sam and Amara fix; hate this series and all of the characters besides them), New X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, Supreme Power, Mystique, Weapon X (purely for Marrow; besides her, this series sucks), aaaaaaaaand... I think that's it.

Mystic
04-23-2004, 02:21 AM
I need to update as well (as some titles are getting cancelled, and another is getting a facelift)

Weapon X I like this series. They just need to get the team more together, or recruit another group of second-stringers

Runaways Perhaps the best new marvel title (well, characters that have never been seen before). I hope that it sticks around for a long while

Uncanny X-Men (When 'Relaunched') Now that Claremont is coming back, I'll give it a try. Hated Austen's run on it. Now I just hope that with all of the shuffling, Northstar doesn't get lost.

Astonishing X-Men (When released) It has the White Queen, and it's written by one of my favorite people. Should be interesting.

Alpha Flight A big 'DUH' would have to be given if I stopped getting this.

Fallen Angel One of the most interesting titles, I love the character, and I love Peter David writing her. The stories are interesting and each issue leaves you wanting more.

Emma Frost I love the White Queen. Period.

Exiles Hated the stories Austen wrote, but I like this series. I loved all the 'What If...?' stories when they were coming out. I hope this X-Title goes nowhere.

Academy X (When 'Relaunched') Looking forward to this. Hopefully we'll see a little more action in this book.

I'll also be picking up JLA: Elite when it comes out. Other than that, I'm depressed that Stormwatch: Team Achilles and Elektra are being cancelled, but at least there's a little breather for my wallet.

-Mystic

Richv1
04-23-2004, 07:16 PM
I'll be adding Astonishing X-Men as well. And I am sure there will be others I'll be adding. I might be cancelling She-Hulk if the art does not improve real fast.

DelBubs
04-23-2004, 07:20 PM
I'm gonna be adding Sleeper vol 2 to my list plus the TPB's of the first series, very impressed with what I saw during Coup De'tat. Oh and 'Holed Up' by Rich Johnson, published by Avatar. Gotta support the geezer, plus I'm sure I can get him to sign them :-)

Richv1
04-23-2004, 08:25 PM
Well I will also be getting the funny detective comic "Harry Johnson".
And also "100 Girls".
Its a good thing I write down everything I have ordered from Previews to keep track of it. It is hard to remember all the comics I keep getting there are so many.

Weapon Omega
04-25-2004, 09:23 PM
I'm collecting:

Marvel:

Alpha Flight
Uncanny X-Men
New X-Men
Captain Marvel
Weapon X
Avengers
Supreme Power

DC:

Flash
JLA
JSA
Outsiders

Richv1
04-25-2004, 11:47 PM
I like some of the older characters from the JSA. Dr. Fate even though it is now a new guy Hector Hall wearing the helmet. Wildcat, Hourman, Dr. Midnight these are all great characters. And Jay Garrick The Flash and Green Lantern Scott Hall these heroes were the best in there time. I loved reading their adventures.

HappyCanuck
04-26-2004, 02:24 AM
... Green Lantern Scott Hall ...

You mean Alan Scott...

Richv1
04-26-2004, 06:43 PM
Ok I'm not great with names but you knew who I meant. :roll:
I'll be adding Astonishing X-Men when it comes out as well, and also Belladona by Brian Pulido.

Ottawa Renegade
04-29-2004, 10:47 PM
For a second there, I thought Razor Ramon was going to be joining the JSA... :wink:

In no particular order:

JSA
Supreme Power
The Authority
WildC.A.T.S.
Astro City
Hawkman

...and of course, Alpha flight. There are some characters that I try to follow from book to bok too. I'm a big fan of Nova, and Deathstroke from the Titans comic (with his daughter taking on the Ravager name, I have a nasty feeling Deathstroke may be done away with. If anyone knows anything, don't spoil it for me please).

I'm behind on a couple of those, but they're the ones I look for. I was buying Violent Messiahs and The Marquis as well.

DelBubs
05-01-2004, 08:10 AM
Supreme Power
The Authority

I was pleased to see the other days that the second arc starting in #13 is being discussed. Kinda sad that you get relieved if a comic you collect gets past #12.

AUthority #12 on the other hand see's Morrison leaving (while his stories have been good, he didn't quite capture what the Authority is all about) and a chance to see what Brubaker can do with them.

Zach
06-23-2004, 05:32 PM
I am currently collecting Alpha Flight, Exiles, New X-Men : Academy X, Amazing Spider-Man, Ultimate Spider-Man, Ultimate X-Men, Cable & Deadpool, and I will get the X-Force mini-series when it comes out.

Exiles is probably my favorite book out now.

I am also picking up some back issues to fill in my collections of Cable, X-Man, and X-Force.

Airhead
06-24-2004, 03:35 PM
All of the comics on my list are X-Books and related.......
(ranked favorite to least favorite.......)
Uncanny X-Men
Excalibur
New X-Men: Academy X
Astonishing X-Men
X-Men
Exiles
Weapon X
Alpha Flight
NYX
District X
X-Statix
Mystique
Emma Frost
Ultimate X-Men
X-Men Unlimited
(Soon to be collecting Starjammers, Rogue, X-Men: The End, and X-Force. I might get Gambit and Nightcrawler, too

Nalyd Psycho
06-26-2004, 06:12 AM
Well, my list is starting to solidify.

Alpha Flight (Duh!)
Supreme Power
Birds of Prey
Hellblazer
The Witching(Haven't actually read yet.)
She-Hulk (Starting when Pelltier takes over pencils.)
Ex Machina (Sorry AF fans, but this is the best new series of 2004.)
Sleeper Season 2 (Not out yet.)
Small Gods (Not out yet.)
Walking Dead
Rex Mundi
Liberty Meadows
Y: The Last Man (In trade form.)
Dr. Blink: Superhero Shrink
Strykeforce
Madrox (Not out yet.)
Nightcrawler (Not out yet.)

Phil
06-26-2004, 08:21 AM
Ex Machina (Sorry AF fans, but this is the best new series of 2004.)

I really couldn't stand it, but then again I'm not a big fan of politics in comics, and the cliché of the last page killed it for me.
It's written well, but it's not my cup of tea.

Dr. Blink: Superhero Shrink

Is this any good?
I saw it yesterday and was very tempted to pick it up but didn't have the cash on me.

Nalyd Psycho
06-26-2004, 04:09 PM
I love politics in comics, I hate how it can be so hard to find.

Dr. Blink is quite funny. The Quizzler segement is especially great. If you enjoy the silliness of Alpha Flight, you'll enjoy Dr. Blink.

Phil
06-26-2004, 05:41 PM
As I'm going through my previews for Sept:

Kinetic #7
Metal Hurlant #13
Hawaiian Dick:The Last Resort #2 (may wait for trade)
Mark Texeira's Pscythe #1 (possibly)
Puttin' The Backbone Back: The Art of Jim Mahfood
Small Gods #4
Black Widow #1 (possibly)
Wolverine #19
Marvel Knights 2099:Punisher #1 (possibly)
Marvel Knights 2099:Mutant #1 (possibly)
Ultimate Nightmare #2
Ultimate X-Men #51
Astonishing X-men #5
Uncanny X-Men #448-449
X-Men #161-162
Gambit #1-2 (possibly)
Weapon X #28
Exiles #52
X-Men: The End #3
Cable/Deadpool #7
Alpha Flight #7
Powerless #4
Identity Disc #4 (possibly)
Punisher (MAX) #11
Kabuki #2
Wizard Wolverine Magazine 2004
Demo #10
Worldwatch #3 (possibly)
Warren Ellis' Apparat Preview
Warren Ellis' Strange Killings: Necromancer #6
Megacity 909 #1 (possibly)
Awakenings #2 (possibly)
Singularity 7 #3 (possibly)

--
Stuff I'm getting ending before/not shipping in September;

We 3 #1
Bad Ideas #2
Clockmaker ACT 3
The Grey Area #2-3
Patient Zero #4
Rex Mundi
Wanted #5-6
30 Days of Night:Return To Barrow #4-6
The Shield #5

beetleblack
06-27-2004, 07:18 AM
WOW - that's quite a list there! Oh well, I don't feel half as guilty at how many titles I have on my standing order now :) Oh and most of these I haven't actually gotten yet even though they've been out for yonks - grrrrr!

Astonishing X-Men
Uncanny X-Men
X-Men (I may not carry on with this one as not sure I care about any of the cast!)
Excalibur (reserving judgment)
New X-Men: Academy X
Emma Frost
Rogue (mini series - not sure if it was good idea or not, ordered it on a whim because I liked the cover!)
Weapon X (still trying to catch up with this title - once I have I may not carry on now that Aurora is gone unless I am desperate to find out what happens)
Alpha Flight
Guardians (have no idea what this title will be like, just another whim)

Doom Patrol
The Legion (coming to an end and then restarting again at the end of the year with a new creative team... again!)
The Witching
The Books of Magick: Life During Wartime
The Authority

Axelrooni
07-10-2004, 02:25 AM
I feel like I've got the short end here.

Alpha Flight
Astonishing X-Men
New X-Men
Ultimate X-Men
Uncanny X-Men
X-Men

I've recently given up on Excalibur and Exiles... I dropped Emma Frost a while back, too, just because I needed to cut down on my spending. Though I'm always in the market for various back issues of different titles.

kozzi24
07-10-2004, 10:45 AM
There's still plenty of GOOD back issue reading that cheaper than new books, especially if bought during sales, etc.

Sir John A.
08-09-2004, 01:57 PM
Monthly:

Alpha Flight
Ultimate Spider-Man
Ultimate X-Men
Astonishing X-men
The Ultimates
Ultimate Fantastic Four
Supreme Power
JSA
Batman/Superman