PDA

View Full Version : Earthmover

beetleblack
04-04-2004, 01:04 PM
I have NO idea who this guy is, and as he's going to be in issue 2 of new AF can anyone please fill me in?

Major Mapleleaf Jr
04-04-2004, 06:24 PM
Well, his name is Chuck Moss, and he was gonna be a pro hockey player for the Oilers (I believe) before he learned of his mystical potential. Shaman took him under his wing and he came Shaman's protege. It's been said by Shaman that Chuck's mystical potential is equivalent to that of an Omega-class mutant's mutant powers, so he's got the potential to be really, really powerful. Like Talisman powerful. If you wanna read more about him, check out Wolverine #179-180.

beetleblack
04-04-2004, 09:12 PM
Thanks for that.

Erm, where IS Talisman these days? Anyone know?

Major Mapleleaf Jr
04-05-2004, 08:16 AM
Last I heard, she was off studying archaeology. But that was at the end of the first series. God only knows what she's doing now...

beetleblack
04-05-2004, 08:38 AM
I always thought she was underused near the end where she seemed to be negated in favour of Witchfire (a character who seemed to just come out of NO WHERE!). Shame because Talisman had been an important team member in the past.

Major Mapleleaf Jr
04-05-2004, 01:25 PM
I was kinda glad that the focus shifted away from Talisman for a while, honestly. She got a LOT of focus during the Mantlo/Hudnall run, and I daresay that it started to lean more on Liz than on the rest of the cast combined for a bit. Even the Talisman needs a little break!

Ben
04-14-2004, 03:44 PM
I know it's asking a lot, but with him going to be appearing in AF#3, I really wanna get a bio for him up for those who don't know who he is. Unfortunately I haven't yet gotten theese issues, and only know what I've read. Any chance some generous soul out there could write me a bio for him? Describe his history that we know of, and his powers, a little bit about the issues he appeard in (kinda like I have for the other main character bios) If that isn't enough to ask, I'd also like to get as many decent scans of him as possible. I haven't found the issues here yet, but since I'm gonna be on PEI for the weekend, I'm hoping to find them there.

Thanks all,

Ben

Richv1
04-14-2004, 07:10 PM
Well from what I have seen so far of this character I'm not to impressed. I'll have to wait till I see him in a major battle though.

DelBubs
04-14-2004, 07:13 PM
He had a major battle in Uncanny X-Men, when they went to get Halibutt Lad. When I say he had a major battle, I mean he was with the team, as in he stood by them, in the sense that they got into a right rumble and he may have done somthing, but I don't remember what, but it was good.

Richv1
04-14-2004, 07:19 PM
I want to see a battle were he gets to really show off his powers. I saw that one you mentioned and he didn't stand out at all.

DelBubs
04-14-2004, 07:28 PM
This is what I find strange about the character, he's a member of Alpha, but I haven't even bothered to find out anything about him, only seen him in that story we are talking about and he does nothing for me either. Phil probably knows more of his history than me, but then I know sod all.

Richv1
04-14-2004, 07:32 PM
Well he is shown captive in the current series so maybe we'll see him in action once hes rescued. I hope.

Prince
04-20-2004, 01:34 AM
I'm thinking that his mystical potential may begin with the earth. His codename came from his totem that he discovered while training with Wolverine. He pulled out a worm and Logan told him not to be upset about it cuz the worm is an Earthmover. He used Shaman's medicine pouch when they fought the X-men and used it to create some earth elementals to battle Juggernaut. Other than that I would love to see him do more with his powers too beyond just being Shaman's apprentice.....if he had the same powers why not just use Shaman. Though I could see him fitting in with the new Alpha Flight since he is virtually untouched a writer could do just about anything they want with him.

Richv1
04-20-2004, 09:59 AM
If his ability is to control the earth maybe he could use it in ways like Terra from the Team Titans used to. And cause Earth Quakes. Open holes in the ground. Maybe he could even merge with the earth like Sandman.
If he could tap into the earth's magnetic fields he could fly.
I wonder could be control the creatures that live in the Earth?

maniac mike
04-20-2004, 02:55 PM
In the "X-men: Encyclopedia" it states that "Earthmover" has - "Vast innate magical abilities". Now all he needs is a decent costume/uniform and to get rid of the "mohawk". :roll:

Ben
04-20-2004, 03:09 PM
I dunno, I think he should keep the mohawk, and get himself about a dozzen heavy gold chains. "Ah pitty da foo!"

Is there a good picture in there? I don't suppose anyone has the means to scan me the full page that has his info?

Ben

Major Mapleleaf Jr
04-20-2004, 07:27 PM
The picture in that encyclopedia is just a headshot. If you REALLY want a good picture of Chuck, get your hands on Wolverine #179 and #180. 179 has an excellent nearly-full-page spread of him looking rather bad-ass, and #180 is almost exclusively just him and Logan.

BTW, when Shaman bestows a rather bulky totemic necklace onto Chuck in #180, I TOTALLY got that Mr. T vibe!

... would I be a sick bastard if I started up an Earthmover/Map'leaf ship? :lol:

DelBubs
04-20-2004, 07:29 PM
... would I be a sick bastard if I started up an Earthmover/Map'leaf ship? :lol:

Without a doubt :twisted: :P

Richv1
04-21-2004, 12:32 AM
But what are those magical abilities?

Mystic
04-21-2004, 12:38 AM
I think we're going to find out what abilities he has during the first six issues of vol.3

Richv1
04-21-2004, 01:18 AM
Yep maybe I hope so. He might be an interesting character. Well better than some I'm sure.

Ben
04-21-2004, 01:28 AM
personally, I'm just happy to see the mystical side of Alpha Flight back. It's something that always set it apart from the other teams.

Richv1
04-21-2004, 11:29 PM
There are other teams that have mystical people. Doctor Druid an Avenger, Dr. Strange a Defender. But Alpha with both Shaman and Tasiman and now Earthmover as well as Snowbird does seen more heavy into mystisim than other teams. And thats a good thing as they can explore things that other teams are not.

Magik
04-22-2004, 07:03 PM
personally, I'm just happy to see the mystical side of Alpha Flight back. It's something that always set it apart from the other teams.

There are other teams that have mystical people. Doctor Druid an Avenger, Dr. Strange a Defender.

And let's not forget Magik in the New Mutants. :D

(Oh, come on, I may be a newbie here, but I think we all knew I couldn't resist bringing this up. ;))

~ Magik

Richv1
04-22-2004, 07:21 PM
So how many other mystics would we have to gather so they could bring back the one true Magic? It would be nice but it doesn't look like its ever going to happen.

Weapon Omega
04-25-2004, 09:04 PM
From his appearance in Wolverine, it sounded like Earthmover had the potential to be equal in power to Shaman. But, like a lot of people said, nobody really knows anything about this guy other than he likes Hockey and he's a member of Alpha Flight.

Richv1
04-26-2004, 06:50 PM
Well hopefully in future issues of Alpha Flight we will get the opportunity to learn more about him and his abilities. I like seeing a new hero who has potential to become big time or even semi big time.

DelBubs
04-26-2004, 06:58 PM
Well hopefully in future issues of Alpha Flight we will get the opportunity to learn more about him and his abilities. I like seeing a new hero who has potential to become big time or even semi big time.

He's probably a nice character and all that, but I'd rather he went back to harassing people with his Mohawk, why have him, when we have a character like Talisman, who is a lot more interesting and has basically the same purpose?

Richv1
04-26-2004, 08:50 PM
I agree I prefer Talisman to. But I guess a new character could help the comic to gain some popularity if people like him. But I would still like to see Talisman back and being used properly.

Prince
04-27-2004, 12:32 AM
Yay for mysticism. Yay for Talisman. Yay for even Earthmover. The more I think about it the more and more I'd like to see a book that features various marvel mystics all over marvel earth. Doc Strange has his version of 'Charlie's Angels' with Topaz, Jennifer Kale and Satanna in Witches. Shaman has his 'daughters' Snowbird and Talisman and this new guy Chuck. I think they should have a big secret Defenders kinda relationship. Even bring in Ghost Rider or something and you've got quite a few bases covered.

I think the lack of mysticism is something that was a detriment to vol 2 since it is such a large part of so many members. X-Men are mutants, Avengers are premier super-humans from all over the earth, Alpha Flight is Canadian so doesn't need to be purely scientific.

jay042
04-27-2004, 01:24 PM
Doc Strange has his version of 'Charlie's Angels' with Topaz, Jennifer Kale and Satanna in Witches.

That something new? Don't think I've heard about a new doctor Stange series.

Major Mapleleaf Jr
04-27-2004, 04:17 PM
'Witches' is gonna be AWESOME. Jennifer Kale. 'Nuff said.

Richv1
04-27-2004, 06:55 PM
A comic book just about mystical super-heroes might be good if enough people were interested in it. Scarlet Witch could be in it to. Clea, Vengence, Modred, Doctor Druid also.

DelBubs
04-27-2004, 07:19 PM
From what I can gather from Previews 'Witches' is a four part limited. I guess with limiteds that sales figures would remain pretty constant throughout. I can only think of one limited I've started to collect that I never bothered completing.

Richv1
04-27-2004, 07:33 PM
Yes I always get all of the limited series I start collecting now. I'm only getting a few now I have started mainly getting regular series.
I saw Witches listed in Previews but decided to pass on it. They are they are not that interesting the characters except for Satana but even her I don't think is that interesting anymore.

DelBubs
04-27-2004, 07:46 PM
The only limited I never completed was the four issue 'Power Pack' story from a few years back. It was set after Alex left the Warriors and the first issue was so bad IMO that I stuck it away in my cupboard and forgot about it. Nowadays I read reviews and forums to gauge if I think the series will hold my interest.

Like your good self, Witches didn't capture my attention so I never really gave it a second glance in Previews.

Prince
04-28-2004, 01:13 AM
Yeah 'Witches' is an upcoming mini-series but has been in the planning since before Denfenders started up again. I think they had to sideline it since Doc Strange was kinda going evil in Defenders. Though I'd like to see what's become of them since the end of 'The Order'. Course there's a new Invaders series coming out and that might have Namor.....

Richv1
04-28-2004, 06:32 PM
The new Invaders has at least one member showing up in the Avengers so far. A female version of Captain Britain. I haven't seen it since I don't get Avengers.