PDA

View Full Version : Marvel Swimsuit Special!

beetleblack
04-04-2004, 01:08 PM
Well, dug around in my comic cupboard and found the Marvel Swimsuit Special (which I knew i had, although thought it was actually an X-Men swimsuit special!) anyway, after feverishly flicking through it I found... well bascially NO Northstar anywhere :cry:

What I did find, which is relevant to us, I've scanned and posted in the photo album.

http://forum.alphaflight.net/album_pic.php?pic_id=43

http://forum.alphaflight.net/album_pic.php?pic_id=44

Ben
04-04-2004, 01:21 PM
Heh, thanks for posting these, mind if I use 'em in the galleries on AlphaFlight.net? I'll post the one of Northstar and Aurora, and the one of Purple Girl in a bit.

beetleblack
04-04-2004, 01:32 PM
Please feel free to use the images in the AF.net galleries and yes PLEASE post the pics of Northstar and Aurora and Purple Girl - would love to see them!

Ben
04-04-2004, 03:43 PM
here they be

http://forum.alphaflight.net/album_pic.php?pic_id=47

http://forum.alphaflight.net/album_pic.php?pic_id=46

suzene
04-04-2004, 07:21 PM
I remember those (though I think that fellow in the pic with Aurora looks nothing like Jean-Paul). I still have them in my longboxes, but my scanner's on the fritz, sadly. Found one of the Northstar ones:

Northstar (http://frpeneaud.free.fr/artists/Russell/ImagesRussell/Northstar01.jpg)

There's also one of Northstar and Hector in the mags, but I can't find it online. I'll see if I can get the scanner working and post it later.

Suzene

beetleblack
04-04-2004, 08:38 PM
Oh oh oh... so cool - thanks to you both.

Doesn't Northstar look beautiful in the ocean?

Also good to see him and his sister relaxing!

Oh and that pic of Kara is pure cheesecake!

I now have to go and sit in a cupboard somewhere and cool off... :)

suzene
04-05-2004, 08:29 AM

Only in the ocean? *dreamy sigh*

Have I mentioned I empathized with Kara? Like, a lot? ;)

Suzene

beetleblack
04-05-2004, 08:46 AM

Only in the ocean? *dreamy sigh*

Have I mentioned I empathized with Kara? Like, a lot? ;)

Suzene

Okay, point taken - Northstar is eternally beautiful. :)

In what way do you empathize with Kara? Is it a purple thing?

Major Mapleleaf Jr
04-05-2004, 01:27 PM
Looooooooooved seeing Northstar in a Speedo. Words just can't express! However, I'm still holding out on seeing Earthmover, Major Mapleleaf, and Guardian in their Speedos now. :)

suzene
04-05-2004, 06:23 PM
In what way do you empathize with Kara? Is it a purple thing?

Nah. When she first showed up, she had a huge, hopeless crush on Northstar, poor thing. First thing she did was use her powers to try and make him her boyfriend. Didn't work out very well. ;)

Suzene

beetleblack
04-05-2004, 07:32 PM
Ah, I see what you mean, of course :wink:

I'm not sure that purple was really Jean-Paul's colour though...

Nalyd Psycho
04-05-2004, 09:51 PM
Am I th only one who finds Northstar's facial expression to be odd?

Major Mapleleaf Jr
04-05-2004, 11:31 PM
When I found myself actually looking at his face, I noticed it, too...

Magik
04-14-2004, 06:04 AM
There's also one of Northstar and Hector in the mags, but I can't find it online. I'll see if I can get the scanner working and post it later.

Suzene

You have but to ask, and ye shall receive. ;)

Click Me! (http://darkchilde.homestead.com/files/nswim.jpg)

The original pic was much larger, but I scaled it down a bit for the poor dial-up people. (Like myself. ;)) If anyone wants the full sized version, let me know. :)

Oy, I can't believe that *this* ends up being my first post. :shakes head:

~ Magik

Ben
04-14-2004, 10:43 AM
Any chance I could get a copy of the big version? I'd like to put it up in the Northstar Gallery on AF.net.

Thanks, and Welcome Magik!

Major Mapleleaf Jr
04-14-2004, 12:36 PM
WELCOME, MAGIK!

('Tis me, Dani_M. *giggle*)

beetleblack
04-14-2004, 04:31 PM
*droooooooooooooooool* =P~

Richv1
04-14-2004, 07:06 PM
Persausion could persuad me into doing pretty much anything. She is a cute girl.
I wanted to see Snowbird in a bikini though. :lol:

DelBubs
04-14-2004, 07:10 PM
Persausion could persuad me into doing pretty much anything. She is a cute girl.
I wanted to see Snowbird in a bikini though. :lol:

I wanna see Wanda Langowski in a Burque :shock:

Richv1
04-14-2004, 07:17 PM
I want all the female members including Nemesis in bikinis for a whole issue. Have every female member that has been a member in the issue.

DelBubs
04-14-2004, 07:21 PM
I want all the female members including Nemesis in bikinis for a whole issue. Have every female member that has been a member in the issue.

Including Goblyn ? Thats a wax and a half. Oh and was it ever mentioned whether Goblyn was male or female?

beetleblack
04-14-2004, 07:24 PM
They always seemed to refer to Goblyn as 'she' so I presume that she was a she. I think it's more interesting Goblyn was a female anyway, don't ask me why, I just do! :lol:

Richv1
04-14-2004, 07:30 PM
I THINK SHE WAS A FEMALE TO. Well since shes a creature she doesn't have to wear a bikini she can wear speedos. :D

DelBubs
04-14-2004, 07:31 PM
I've always considered Goblyn female too, but I don't recall an occasion where it was actually said or implied.

Richv1
04-14-2004, 07:34 PM
I don't know for sure if it ever was said either. I didn't pay that much attention to her character. I have always prefered the original team members best.

Ben
04-14-2004, 10:33 PM
yah, Goblyn's a female. Broderick gaver her breasts even...but then he did have a bit of a breast fetish eh?

HappyCanuck
04-14-2004, 10:57 PM
I've always considered Goblyn female too, but I don't recall an occasion where it was actually said or implied.

They always refered to Goblyn as 'she', and, when she and Laura get older (circa vol.1 #125-ish), both girls have developed.

Richv1
04-14-2004, 11:27 PM
Hey those two are to young for you to be looking at their breasts. :roll: :lol: Well maybe not depending on how Goblins age.

HappyCanuck
04-15-2004, 12:13 AM
Hey those two are to young for you to be looking at their breasts. :roll: :lol: Well maybe not depending on how Goblins age.

LOL, don't worry my friend, I only look for artistic value. Don't do anything for me otherwise (they are the only females in comic book history with realistic bust sizes. If any of the others were reay, they'd snap in half!)

Ben
04-15-2004, 05:00 AM
realistic for an adult...yes, realistic for about 13 years old....no.

HappyCanuck
04-15-2004, 05:05 AM
Dunno what 13 year old girls you've seen, but most of the ones i have were either that sized or larger (well, the ones who had developed at that point, at least)

Ben
04-15-2004, 05:21 AM
[img=left:58f4bb30dc]http://forum.alphaflight.net/album_pic.php?pic_id=65[/img:58f4bb30dc]
This just seems to be to full for a 13 year old. I don't remember girls looking like that when I was 13! I'm sure I wished they did...

HappyCanuck
04-15-2004, 05:33 AM
you obviously don't know the girls i grew up with... my exgirlfriend from the time was a 30D at 13! Then there are the OTHER girls in my life at the time...

In that pic, Laura is only a larger B or mid-C (you female members of the forum, feel free to correct me)

HappyCanuck
04-15-2004, 05:37 AM
I wanna see Wanda Langowski in a Burque :shock:

Since you aren't provinding any answer forthwith, Del, WHY would you wanna see Wanda in a Burque??

syvalois
04-15-2004, 10:43 AM
What is a Burque? As for breast size...well... The Problem with Laura is that she was very young and very flat chest before that artist (which I forgot the name) drew her. She suffer from rapide aging problem. The breast just don't grow that fast.

DelBubs
04-15-2004, 01:01 PM
The Burque (that tent thing that women where forced to wear during the reign of the Taliban in Afghanistan) leaves plenty to the imagination Alan. Bikini's, (especially nowadays), negate the need for an imagination. :-)

syvalois
04-15-2004, 04:26 PM
The Burque (that tent thing that women where forced to wear during the reign of the Taliban in Afghanistan) leaves plenty to the imagination Alan. Bikini's, (especially nowadays), negate the need for an imagination. :-)

Thank you! in french it's called a 'burka'. And just a funny annecdote, at our late night news on tv, journalists were interviewing canadians soldiers an in this case a Quebecer and the soldier said it was strange to see women dress with a burque but instead of saying 'burka' he said 'baklava', you know like the dessert? And it did not passed unnoticed, some made jokes about this mistake.

Richv1
04-15-2004, 06:27 PM
I know what you mean about unrealistic breasts. Look at Tarot to see the best example of that.
I am not really into breasts I'd much more prefer a nice butt shot.
If you want to see some breasts drawn realistically you should take a look at Artesia.

beetleblack
04-15-2004, 06:51 PM
Laura was aged way too much. She was better and more interesting as kid. I really liked her relationship with Goblyn, it showed her love and strength that she was willing to do anything to protect her twin from being 'killed' in the womb.

I don't remember Gobyln having breast!!! LOL. I think it would be cool to see what Goblyn looks like now - I imagine her as a strange yet exotic creature. (Btw, are Laura and Goblyn prisoners in Neverland????)

DelBubs
04-15-2004, 08:12 PM
Sylvie, don't know where I got the spelling from, it is the same here, as in Burka, I was having a moment I think :)

As re Artesia, picked up the first two series and enjoyed them a lot, but couldn't gather the enthusiasm for the third series.

Oh and as far as I know, Goblym and Laura aren't at Neverland.

Ben
04-15-2004, 09:10 PM
I think all the children left neverland when Jacko went to court ;)

Richv1
04-16-2004, 12:14 AM
Hey now no talk of Michael we don't want to confuse him with Shaman.
So I thought we were talking about Swimsuits on Canadians. Can Shania Twain or Pamela Anderson join Alpha Flight so they can be in swimsuits?

HappyCanuck
04-16-2004, 01:32 AM
Hey now no talk of Michael we don't want to confuse him with Shaman.
So I thought we were talking about Swimsuits on Canadians. Can Shania Twain or Pamela Anderson join Alpha Flight so they can be in swimsuits?

:? Just trying to figure out their super-powers...

PAMELA ANDERSON: has the ability to hypnotise men with her super-breasts that shrink and grow at will! She is... BUSTY-BABE!!

SHANIA TWAIN: able to shatter glass with the voice of a laryngitic angel! She is... The SHRIEKER!!!

Magik
04-16-2004, 06:36 AM
Any chance I could get a copy of the big version? I'd like to put it up in the Northstar Gallery on AF.net.

You surely can. :) Just a warning though, it's 900 KBs and 1425x1937. :laugh: Clicky (http://darkchilde.homestead.com/files/nstarswim.jpg)

Thanks, and Welcome Magik!

Anytime, and Thanks for the welcome! :D

WELCOME, MAGIK!

('Tis me, Dani_M. *giggle*)

OY! :shock: I think your obsession with Mapleleaf has gone a smidgen too far, hasn't it?

Although.. Now that you're using that travesty of a banner both here *and* NM.net.. Imagine the tortures I could put you through with that information? :D You'd better be very nice to me, darlin'. :grins evilly:

~ Magik

Ben
04-16-2004, 07:02 AM
Cheers, appreciate it!

You surely can. :) Just a warning though, it's 900 KBs and 1425x1937. :laugh: Clicky (http://darkchilde.homestead.com/files/nstarswim.jpg)

Phil
04-17-2004, 07:37 PM
Just a couple of q's for clarity;

Beetleblack - Was the Sasquatch image in the same one as the Aurora/Heather one?

Magik - Which issue/year of the swimsuit special was the Northstar/Hector one from?

Cheers in advance. :)

beetleblack
04-17-2004, 08:50 PM
Beetleblack - Was the Sasquatch image in the same one as the Aurora/Heather one?

Yes, the images were in the same Swim Suit Special - I'll go and get the issue and check the year/number tomorrow... from the cupboard, of course :wink:

Magik
04-17-2004, 09:50 PM
Magik - Which issue/year of the swimsuit special was the Northstar/Hector one from?

Volume one, issue four, 1995. :)

Penciler/Inker: Jan Duursema
Colorist: John Cebollero

~ Magik

Richv1
04-18-2004, 12:02 AM
I wish I could remember issue and vol numbers easily. I remember the comics I have by there covers.
So has Marvel stopped making the swimsuit comics? I want to see Busty Babe and Shrieker in one together.

Phil
04-18-2004, 01:55 AM
Cheers both of you :D

Richv1
04-18-2004, 09:55 AM
I'll have to get out my old issues of the Marvel Swimsuit. I remember a lot of really hot sexy poses from it. I think the best ever was Mary Jane her first pose.

suzene
04-19-2004, 06:25 AM
You have but to ask, and ye shall receive. ;)

Heh...thanks. I was never fond of artists drawing Northstar as this bulked-out, white-haired monstrosity, but the picture does have a sort of interest as a rarity in the Marvel U, at least. ;)

And yeah, they don't do the swimsuit issues anymore, sadly.

Suzene

Richv1
04-19-2004, 07:40 PM
Suz I think you better look else where if your looking for a guy in Northstar. Unless you plan to try to bring him over to the other side.

suzene
04-21-2004, 07:32 AM
Suz I think you better look else where if your looking for a guy in Northstar. Unless you plan to try to bring him over to the other side.

Actually, if I was looking for a guy, I think I'd be looking somewhere other than at a fictional character that barely breaks into second-tier popularity. :roll:

Suzene

Richv1
04-21-2004, 11:37 PM
Only Second tier? Maybe he'll make a come back and show up in this new series. Than he could make it up to First tier.

HappyCanuck
04-22-2004, 12:47 AM
Ask me (and no one has) what JP needs is his own book. Not a limited, but maybe a 12-iss or something

Richv1
04-22-2004, 07:23 PM
I think he should just rejoin the group. Once and Alphan always an Alphan.

HappyCanuck
04-22-2004, 11:09 PM
I think he should just rejoin the group. Once and Alphan always an Alphan.

I don't agree with you there entirely. yes, I loved him in Alpha, but he's too much of a character to be limited by other characters. Take what happened with him in UXM; he got lost in the shuffle because there were too many characters. Same with everything past the orig Byrne run on AF. To make him stand out more, JP had to be embroiled in massive controversy. but when said controversy began to illicit more awareness and general acceptance, be fell back into old paterns of existence.

Aside from AF 106, and being French Canadian, JP is - as Magneto called him in the 'Eve of Destruction' storyline - (paraphrased) 'just a second-rate Quicksilver'. Which he ain't. he's a unique character, with unique characteristics that ppl put in their books to spark intrigue: "oh my God, there's a gay character in <pick a title>! Wonder if he's gonna snog <pick a character>! <Pick a character> should be gay, and Northstar should be his f***-bunny." Beyond being gay, arrogant (but so is Quicksilver), and Aurora's brother, no writer that I've seen since Byrne gave JP any spotlight to be a good character.

suzene
04-23-2004, 05:41 AM
Beyond being gay, arrogant (but so is Quicksilver), and Aurora's brother, no writer that I've seen since Byrne gave JP any spotlight to be a good character.

Which really is a shame, since the boy has a lot of generally wasted potential. Considering today's political climate, a well-thought-out tale paralleling Northstar's time with the FLQ would certainly be an interesting read.

Suzene

DelBubs
04-23-2004, 01:04 PM
Which really is a shame, since the boy has a lot of generally wasted potential. Considering today's political climate, a well-thought-out tale paralleling Northstar's time with the FLQ would certainly be an interesting read.

Suzene
Marvel Fanfare #28 tried to do just that, but it was a bit of a mish mash and probably did Northstar more damage than good.

syvalois
04-23-2004, 02:00 PM

Suzene
Marvel Fanfare #28 tried to do just that, but it was a bit of a mish mash and probably did Northstar more damage than good.

I've never read Marvel fanfare, but from what I saw in AF, I would avoid the FLQ history. I think it was a bad idea to begin with and it's usually badly exploited.

DelBubs
04-23-2004, 02:15 PM
I'm with you Sylvie. I don't think that there is exploitation, but any writer is gonna emphasise and put forward his own take. Unless a writer is going to specifically do an unbiased historically correct take on a certain conflict, then I'm of the opinion they should leave it well alone.

Byrnes Pink Pearl story wasn't to bad, he used the FLQ connections as a back drop and not a focal pont of the story. However when you have John Francis Moore writing utter bollacks about the British army in Northern Ireland (X-Force), Mantlo writing the **** that was Marvel Fanfare #28, then historical fact becomes historical fantasy IMO.

suzene
04-23-2004, 07:14 PM

Suzene

Ugh. Note I put in the 'well-thought-out' qualifier in there. MF #28 was definitely not what I had in mind.

Suzene

Richv1
04-23-2004, 07:25 PM
I still think that in a team comic Northstar if handled right could shine and not be forgotten in any shuffle.
A second rate Quicksilver not really. Maybe because they both have white hair and speed powers but they do use their powers differently. And the light blinding power is different. Northstar flies. Actually now that I think about it their relationship with their sisters is similar, and both have a similar attitude, when attacking they use their powers similarly, Northstar can use his powers on the ground like when he did to win at skiing. He even objects to any of Aurora's boyfriends just like Quicksilver does with Wanda. I don't think he is a second rate Quicksilver but they are a lot a like.

DelBubs
04-23-2004, 07:35 PM
Fanfare #28 was dodgy to say the least, gotta love the way that Mantlo did enough research to know about the Pink Pearl story, yet she still got referred to as Pretty Pearl in the Fanfare :-(

However, the Diamond Lil hen night story #105 (sp), where she and the female members of the flight end up brawling at the night club and have to be bailed worked.

In regards to Fanfare, how hard would it be for any half decent copper to figure that NS may have been a member of Cell Combatre (sorry if I've screwed up the French again Sylvie :-( ) considering that there aren't that many French Canadian speedsters about and that silly Scourge person had graphical evidence of a Speedster working as a runner for CC (not trying that French again)

syvalois
04-23-2004, 10:39 PM
Cell Combatre

Cellule combattre? fight cell? Do not sound so good in french and from my knownledge (wich is very limited every cell name was from a last name)

Richv1
04-24-2004, 08:27 PM
If you are looking for a hard name to pronounce in french try my french last name. I've heard maybe a half dozen people that can say it right.

syvalois
04-25-2004, 12:59 AM
Richard Vasseur, see, it's easy!!!:) Seriously, french is my first language so it's not hard for me, It's not something I'm used to see but easy to say

Richv1
04-25-2004, 02:26 PM
The correct way of saying my last name is a sound half way between sir and saur it is hard even for me to get right. I just use sir since its so much easier for other people.

kozzi24
05-02-2004, 09:29 AM
Northstar was a great character, but everything else seems to have gotten overshadowed by the gay thing.
Similarities with Quicksilver are TOO many. Also look at the fact that Northstar worked with FLQ, Quicksilver with Magneto's brotherhood. The personality similarities make sense. I think Peter David's psychoanalysis issue of X-Factor is the first step to establishing a speedster personality disorder in the Marvel Universe. It makes sense that people that can do things so fast would be perpetually impatient and a bit arrogant. Aurora fits the mold with aspects of her personalities as well. Further making sense of that is the fact that most other speedsters are villains.
Northstar was a former terrorist with a childhood history of repeatedly losing parents, an unexplored origin, a tenuous relationship with a twin he was not raised with, multifacted powers that still have not been fully explored, and formative teen year history that has only been hinted at. There's enough there for the character to have his own book, and be something well beyond a second-rate Quicksilver.

HappyCanuck
05-02-2004, 09:53 AM
Northstar was a great character... [edited for space]...and be something well beyond a second-rate Quicksilver.

Couldn't agree more!! :D

... Can't believe THIS is the post that gets me into Alpha Flight... #-o

suzene
05-03-2004, 07:01 PM
Northstar was a great character, but everything else seems to have gotten overshadowed by the gay thing.

Just like Kurt with the religious thing, Wolverine with the berserker thing, and Polaris with the crazy thing...zod forbid certain writers give their characters more than one personality trait. :P

Suzene

beetleblack
05-03-2004, 07:54 PM
God forbid certain writers give their characters more than one personality trait. :P

Or just give them TWO personalities like Aurora! (Although I was so sick of that by the end of the run that I just wanted her to be cured already!!! It was an interesting trait but was overplayed WAY too much, especially when new writers came on board and decided to undo what the last writer had done to her so she always ended up back at square one again!)

suzene
05-03-2004, 08:19 PM
Or just give them TWO personalities like Aurora! (Although I was so sick of that by the end of the run that I just wanted her to be cured already!!! It was an interesting trait but was overplayed WAY too much, especially when new writers came on board and decided to undo what the last writer had done to her so she always ended up back at square one again!)

And how many times has poor JM been "cured", just to have some errant third (fourth, fifth, etc.) personality crop up? Someone needs to rope off that particular well before some other writer tries to go back to it.

Suzene

beetleblack
05-03-2004, 08:37 PM

And how many times has poor JM been "cured", just to have some errant third (fourth, fifth, etc.) personality crop up? Someone needs to rope off that particular well before some other writer tries to go back to it.

Suzene

EXACTLY! Never mind roping it off, this character facet needs to be walled off with the biggest and hardest bricks possible and NEVER opened up again!!!! Surely this woman has suffered enough???

suzene
05-03-2004, 08:47 PM
EXACTLY! Never mind roping it off, this character facet needs to be walled off with the biggest and hardest bricks possible and NEVER opened up again!!!! Surely this woman has suffered enough???

"Suffered enough"? Hah! You poor deluded fool! Didn't you know? Marvel thrives on the popularity of the angst = character development fallacy! ;)

Suzene

syvalois
05-04-2004, 11:23 AM
The problem with Aurora/Jeanne-Marie is that they changed personnalities but kept the same names, but they where not the same. It all depend of which writer was there. Each is own view and many did not knew enough about multiple personality disorder.

kozzi24
05-04-2004, 07:14 PM
I think I remember an interview with Byrne that the idea of the split personality was to explore the entire superhero secret identity thing. Jean-Marie was a school teacher. Aurora wore the costume. The submerged Aurora personality came out in stress, but it was J-M's joining the Flight and donning the costume that brought Aurora to the forefront and an place for her identity over J-M's.

bigbloo
05-08-2004, 08:03 AM
I think I remember an interview with Byrne that the idea of the split personality was to explore the entire superhero secret identity thing. Jean-Marie was a school teacher. Aurora wore the costume. The submerged Aurora personality came out in stress, but it was J-M's joining the Flight and donning the costume that brought Aurora to the forefront and an place for her identity over J-M's.

As far as i remember it was Aurora that was recruited by Wolvie and subsequently joined the team. Jeanne Marie didnt really know anything about it. Wasn' t it implied in vol 1 issue #2 when she reverted to J-M in the Master's arctic lair that she didnt know Aurora was doing super hero stuff (as well as other *ahem* less heroic stuff with Sas :oops: ) until that moment?