PDA

View Full Version : A Father For Flex?

beetleblack
04-08-2004, 05:18 PM
Okay, just finished reading all issues of vol.2 (bar the annual) and one question remains... who was Flex's father????

In the final few issues Flex/Adrian comes close to talking to several characters about who he's found out his father to be but he never actually gets around to telling us who!!!!

Have I missed something vital here? And if not do we EVER find out elsewhere who sired Flex???

Phil
04-08-2004, 05:28 PM
It was intended to be Wolverine but was never actually revealed in print though, so no-one.

beetleblack
04-08-2004, 06:16 PM
Wolverine! Wow - he was the last person I was expecting. I actually thought he would be Mac's son (although which Mac I have no idea!).

Also the way the series ends we never learn anything of Madisons fate - is that revealed elsewhere or does he just show up in Weapon X? And what of the other Zodiac (I thought they were kinda cool - but I could be the only one!)? And also we don't know if Lil suffered any harm from the bacteria she was subjected to in that tank - I thought we might at least see her at the end consious if not fully recovered!!!

Phil
04-08-2004, 06:46 PM
Yeah, there were a couple of hints; in the preview art for the series, and over in UXM which Seagle was writing at the time.
I found out in an interview after the series ended though, if I remember correctly.

As to Madison and Lil... Weapon X indeed.

Madison's rescued from the Zodiac in #1 and given storytime throughout the series (plus the next issue (#22) focuses on him and Aurora), whereas Lil is just seen in the Neverland death camps in #5 with no fill in from the end of vol.2.

beetleblack
04-09-2004, 07:34 AM
Poor Lil, she's had a bit of a rough trot recently - being in a death camp must pretty much suck!

Has Flex been seen since AF finished? And what about Murmer and Radius? (I heard that Radius was dead or something?). I doubt poor old Ghost Girl (who I rather liked) will ever see the light of day again and there's even less chance that Ouija or Flinch will!

Whatever became of cloned Mac btw? Did I hear somewhere that he ended up killed?

Oh and as for Manbot... I thought he was quite interesting, but I think he may have blown up at the end of the series, or maybe he was away being repaired or something...

Of course the biggest question left unanswered is if Radius needed a special device to eat because of the ever present forcefield how did he ever cut his hair, shave (if he ever did) and more importantly how did he go to the toilet!!!!!

Looking forward to the Madison/Aurora issue of Weapon X btw.

Phil
04-09-2004, 08:57 AM
Radius was in Banshee's X-Corps over in Uncanny X-Men (I think) #401, 403 and 405 which is where he gets buried alive by Avalanche.

Clone Mac died in Wolverine #143.

Mystic
04-09-2004, 10:33 AM
Of course the biggest question left unanswered is if Radius needed a special device to eat because of the ever present forcefield how did he ever cut his hair, shave (if he ever did) and more importantly how did he go to the toilet!!!!!

It was shown if Alpha Flight (vol.2 naturally) #7 That Radius does indeed need a device to eat. I think the device works by disintegrating the food substance, and then he inhales it. It's been a while, and I'm still rereading that series (among other things).

And as far as Flex was concerned...my whole thought about him was that he was Madison's son. It seems, to me, that they were hinting more to that than to Wolverine.

MHO,
-Mystic

gorejeja
04-09-2004, 01:24 PM
I likes Flex. BRING BACK FLEX!

The funny thing that Radius uses to eat is... well, funny. I wish I had my comics here with me :/

Phil, regarding:

Yeah, there were a couple of hints; in the preview art for the series, and over in UXM which Seagle was writing at the time.

(boldface by me, for emphasis) What were the hints in Uncanny? I was still reading Uncanny regularly at the time, and never picked up on any.

Phil
04-09-2004, 04:33 PM
What were the hints in Uncanny? I was still reading Uncanny regularly at the time, and never picked up on any.

Uncanny #353 - Rogue scans Wolverine's mind and mentions him having a son.

gorejeja
04-09-2004, 10:00 PM
Thanks, Phil. When I go home to my comic book collection, I'm going to have to go look that up.

HappyCanuck
04-10-2004, 02:39 AM
Uncanny #353 - Rogue scans Wolverine's mind and mentions him having a son.

Actually, that was in a dream Rogue was having... although she HAS spent a lot of time absorbing Logan, so it's POSSIBLE that was a repressed memory she'd been harbouring, tho I think it was just her subconscious acting out...

Phil
04-10-2004, 07:15 AM
Yes, but my point was that it was still Seagle laying down a hint.

HappyCanuck
04-10-2004, 07:25 AM
Logical, but given Logan's age (100+ years, next confirmed oldest person i can think of is Puck), he could have a son who's in his 80's... I'm not debunking Seagle laying teh ground work for Adrian to be Logan's kid (which would be interesting, considering Adrian's apparent age), but simply stating that that notion could go any what possible...

Along teh same lines, Logan's kid could be anyone from Wild Child (based on similarities in abilities) to Professor X's maternal father (which WOULD be an interesting turn of events). In fact, based solely on what's been printed, not including possible interviews or conjectures, Adrian is no where near similar to Logan, aside from the sharp metal angle, which completely different - Logan's was injected into him artificially to coat naturally occuring claws, whereas Adrian has ferromorphic abilities, able to transform his body into metal. Mind you, no one ever said that inherited mutations had to be lateral to that of the progenitors....

... so what's my point? No clue, I lost that a long time ago. If you find it, please call 555-DOPE. All rewards are in Monopoly money....

Weapon Omega
04-18-2004, 04:29 PM
Flex's biological parents was a subplot I wish had a conclusion. Flex and Radius were two characters from vol 2 that grew on me as that series went on. It's a shame that Radius was killed, in my opinion, he had potential. I would like to know the "status" of Flex's real parents though.

Prince
04-20-2004, 01:11 AM
I actually kinda had a theory that Colossus was Flex's father. Stay with me on this. Colossus did have an illegitimate child in the Savage Land and I got the impression that the legacies (what they called Flex, Radius, Murmur and Ghost Girl) were artificially aged since their memories obviously were false. When Flex discovered that Radius was the son of Unus the Untouchable and then later that they weren't even brothers he told the others that they wouldn't believe who his father was. To me this means that the person in question was someone they would be familiar with and I figure they would have studied the files for X-men since they're who Alpha Flight seems to go up against most. Now granted the similarities in powers and the fact that Colossus does have a son out there somewhere are my main points I think that would be cool. Specially touching now that Colossus is dead. So basically I figure the department somehow found out about Peter's son and made him into their own agent.

Magik
04-20-2004, 03:57 AM
I actually kinda had a theory that Colossus was Flex's father. Stay with me on this. Colossus did have an illegitimate child in the Savage Land and I got the impression that the legacies (what they called Flex, Radius, Murmur and Ghost Girl) were artificially aged since their memories obviously were false.

In addition to that, Colossus' son was in a dimension where time moved differently. He could've pulled a Magik and aged in a very short time. :)

~ Magik

HappyCanuck
04-20-2004, 04:20 AM
Magik, you'll do anything to squeeze your handle in won't ya? :lol:

Not that I am complaining, I agree that there is no real reason that Magik can't return, considering that Limbo is transtemporal, and despite that the orig New Mutants may have rescued baby illyana, Magik could still be there (check out the last panel of X-Men Unlimited 20-ish, where Nightcrawler had to go to Limbo to rescue Margali/Amanda!)

Magik
04-20-2004, 06:10 AM
Magik, you'll do anything to squeeze your handle in won't ya?

Noticed that, did you? O:) Anything to plug Illyana. The more she's talked about, the more likely it is for her return, I say. :grins:

Not that I am complaining, I agree that there is no real reason that Magik can't return,

You're my new best friend for that, HC! :)

considering that Limbo is transtemporal, and despite that the orig New Mutants may have rescued baby illyana, Magik could still be there.

Now, I could go on and on about this subject, (as I have in many a post before on other message boards.) but considering this is an Alpha Flight board, I'll try my best to keep myself on topic. ;)

I'll just say this though, the condensed version. The baby Illyana was inside the armor at the end of New Mutants #73. The teenage Illyana had already vacated the armor by that time. We saw that on panel. She's out there, and she needs to come home! :D

(check out the last panel of X-Men Unlimited 20-ish, where Nightcrawler had to go to Limbo to rescue Margali/Amanda!)

That would be X-Men Unlimited #19. :) - I about died when I saw that last page! :laugh:

You know, actually, if I really wanted to stretch it, I'm on topic! If Flex is Peter's son, that'd be Illyana's nephew! \:D/ (Woo! Loophole. ;))

~ Magik

DelBubs
04-20-2004, 03:51 PM
My theory by Ann Elk (Python fans should get the connection). Anyways, in regards to Wolvie being Flex's dad, don't really work. Wolvie's metal is not part of his biological make-up, it was an added extra. Colossus works, techno-organic transformation is very similar to what Flex did, but just as a could be, maybe we should be looking closer to Alpha for Flex's pa.

Lionel Jeffries (when not starring in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang) was an organomorph, basically able to rearrange organic materials, Maddison Jeffries is a technomorph, able to rearrange metal and other technological material. Flex has a power that by no stretch of the imagination is a combination of the two, which to me suggests that he has the Jeffries D.N.A.

So Who's the daddy?

jay042
04-20-2004, 11:01 PM
All because Flex has powers radically different from Wolverine does not exclude him as a potential father. If anyone cares to recall Wild Thing, the short lived M2 series about Wolverine's daughter, she had psychic energy claws, even though according to the story Electra (someone with no actual superpowers) was her mother. Plus there's the fact that Nightcrawler is the son of Mystique, yet his powers are different from hers even if they have a similar appearance.

Prince
04-21-2004, 02:15 AM
True Flex's father could be anyone. My secondary theory was that Flex maybe is Madison Jeffries son, he did kinda have a fatherly role with Flex when it all started. And Dept H probably did have some DNA around to clone him or something. All it takes is a writer to tell the story.

Another thing that really has nothing to do with anything about Flex possibly being Colossus was his attraction to the local phasing girl Ghost Girl. Cuz in my mind Colossus and Shadowcat were totally meant to be they were just always screwed up at the around each other. Maybe Flex-y-boy was just taking after his pops. :D

jay042
04-21-2004, 11:23 AM
I guess I'm one of the few that like the idea of Flex being Logan's son. I'd love to see a story of Flex actually meeting Logan for the first time.

Ben
04-21-2004, 11:34 AM
They have met, and fought.

DelBubs
04-21-2004, 04:41 PM
All because Flex has powers radically different from Wolverine does not exclude him as a potential father. If anyone cares to recall Wild Thing, the short lived M2 series about Wolverine's daughter, she had psychic energy claws, even though according to the story Electra (someone with no actual superpowers) was her mother. Plus there's the fact that Nightcrawler is the son of Mystique, yet his powers are different from hers even if they have a similar appearance.

I'm not disputing that Wolvie could be the father of Flex, just that if we follow logic, then Maddy or Scramble is more likely to be the dad. Maddy and Lionel both have mutant powers that could explain Flex. Wolvie doesn't.

gorejeja
04-21-2004, 05:25 PM
I guess I'm one of the few that like the idea of Flex being Logan's son. I'd love to see a story of Flex actually meeting Logan for the first time.

I agree. Yeah, Ben's right, they have met and fought- but, it'd be different for them to meet and speak to each other after a revelation that they're related.

beetleblack
04-21-2004, 06:13 PM
Never mind who his father is, what about his MOTHER???

Maybe Wanda Langkowski???? With Walter as his father... I'm not sure how it's possible... but if anyone can, they win a famous No prize!!!

:lol:

DelBubs
04-21-2004, 06:27 PM
His mother was a hamster and his father smelt of elderberries.

Could have been anyone, Wolvie has travelled the world, Maddy and Scamble did like wise. Oh it's hard to work out, maybe it was Mac on his off day from changing the world ?

Phil
04-21-2004, 06:42 PM
Oh it's hard to work out, maybe it was Mac on his off day from changing the world ?

Nah, I think he was dying that day, instead.

DelBubs
04-21-2004, 06:49 PM
Oh it's hard to work out, maybe it was Mac on his off day from changing the world ?

Nah, I think he was dying that day, instead.

What, Mac dying, not like him :-({|=

Phil
04-21-2004, 07:10 PM

Indeed, it'd just be rude and inconsiderate to die more than once...

DelBubs
04-21-2004, 07:18 PM

Indeed, it'd just be rude and inconsiderate to die more than once...
See You Mac, we're onto your insurance scam. How much dosh do you want :-)

Phil
04-21-2004, 08:01 PM
See You Mac, we're onto your insurance scam. How much dosh do you want :-)

That's why he's got so many names, one identity to pillage the funds of each time...

Richv1
04-25-2004, 04:51 PM
Could Ripclaw or War Blade be related to Flex? Now if he was more like those characters he would have been a lot better.

Prince
04-25-2004, 07:55 PM
I kinda liked the idea that Flex's personality and his powers were very different. His power was to make blades but he had no real interest in using them since he didn't want to hurt people. Sure he was never my favorite but I thought he had potential.

Weapon Omega
04-25-2004, 08:55 PM
I agree. He had a unique personality and his powers weren't bad. With a little more training he could be a valued member of Alpha Flight.

Richv1
04-26-2004, 06:53 PM
His personality had to become more aggressive for him to be any good on the team. He had to be willing to use those blades to be a valuable member.

DelBubs
04-26-2004, 07:02 PM
He had to be willing to use those blades to be a valuable member.

Now if he was willing to use those Blades on someones valuable member, he could probably join the Authority. :-)