PDA

View Full Version : You know what's great about the new Alpha Flight?

Nalyd Psycho
04-23-2004, 12:34 AM
The team dynamic. I was just thinking today, so many team books have a bunch of friends working together. Is there any dissenting voice in the JLA or Avengers? Even Juggernaut in the X-Men seems pretty cool with his teammates. There's no tension.

But in the new Alpha Flight, you have such a diverse group that even when friendships start to form, you'll still have in fighting? Will Nemesis ever not throw a wrench into the teams plans? Will Major Mapleleaf grate on anyone other than Nemesis? Will Yukon Jack not resent being on the team? The possibilities for a unique and fractured team are endless. And that is something that, too me, is necissary to make a team book better than a solo book.

Major Mapleleaf Jr
04-23-2004, 12:52 AM
I totally agree with you, and that's why my favorite team book, to this day, is the late and unlamented The All-New Exiles. Marvel executives should be drawn and quartered for destroying this series. The team dynamic was explosive (no pun intended for anyone who's read this series). You had Juggernaut LEADING the team, which was edgy in and of itself. You had 'Strike, who had already tried to kill one of the team members but who was scrambling to prove the team's innocence in the face of an entire world that wanted them dead. You had Shuriken, who at any time might have turned the team in to the government to get her son back. You had Amber Hunt, already a reviled and demonized figure on her reality's Earth, never knowing quite when this air-headed blonde might lose control of her powers or her mind again. You had Hellblade, a demonic-looking figure if ever there was one, who also believed for a time that the Exiles were guilty, and was biding his time to take them all down. You had Reaper, who was just looking to come out on top, and who betrayed Juggernaut in the midst of the series. And you had the delectable Siena Blaze, arguably the most dangerous of the bunch, with her true nihilistic (she literally gave no thought to the fact that any use of her powers could destroy the planet at any time) views and constant bickering with Amber and Reaper. This was a team that fought CONSTANTLY amongst themselves, even in the midst of battle, but who did come together to defend their own when their backs were up against the wall. And I can see the same sort of dynamic going on here in the new Alpha Flight. Cheers, mates!

suzene
04-23-2004, 05:53 AM
The team dynamic. I was just thinking today, so many team books have a bunch of friends working together. Is there any dissenting voice in the JLA or Avengers? Even Juggernaut in the X-Men seems pretty cool with his teammates. There's no tension.

But in the new Alpha Flight, you have such a diverse group that even when friendships start to form, you'll still have in fighting? Will Nemesis ever not throw a wrench into the teams plans? Will Major Mapleleaf grate on anyone other than Nemesis? Will Yukon Jack not resent being on the team? The possibilities for a unique and fractured team are endless. And that is something that, too me, is necissary to make a team book better than a solo book.

Hell, that was a lot of the appeal in the *old* Alpha Flight! Those people were prickly as all hell, and couldn't even make out a shopping list without getting into a brawl. Good times, good times...

Suzene

Richv1
04-24-2004, 08:40 PM
Yes the old team had a lot of problems with their teammates but the team still worked. They were a fighting force to be reckoned with. This new team is diverse and certainly different. I wonder what happens when they rescue the original members and Earthmover, who will stay with Alpha Flight than.

bigbloo
04-25-2004, 01:38 AM
I have to agree that this AN/AD AF (to borrow the abbreviation they used in that Lobdell interview, you know, the one where he was almost foaming at the mouth... :D ) has the beginnings of the same team dynamic as the original AF. Bickering amongst teammates, some real differences in outlook, but you knew they were going to stick by each other to the end. I hope this is how this team develops.

I think if we added Snowbird into the mix we'd see a great team dynamic.

Richv1
04-25-2004, 09:11 AM
Snowbird well I think she and Sasquatch might work well together in this new team. Seeing as how they share so much in common like her body. I wonder if Puck's daughter will continue lusting after Walter?

Major Mapleleaf Jr
04-25-2004, 01:27 PM
I honestly don't see the same dynamic here as in the original Alpha Flight. Nemesis actively wants to KILL the other members, and is being physically restrained from doing so. Puck, Centennial... still trying to see why these two are even bothering. Major Mapleleaf's motives are obvious: he wants to do good, and he looks up to the ideal of Alpha Flight. And Yukon Jack... so Walter drugged and kidnapped him. But he's awake now. Why hasn't he left? I don't buy it. And it's not to say that I don't like the team... in fact, I LOVE this team. But a lot of it seems really implausible.

Richv1
04-25-2004, 02:17 PM
Yes I agree. Thats why I hope after they rescue the old team they leave and the old team stays with Marrina and Snowbird rejoining.

Weapon Omega
04-25-2004, 07:09 PM
I'm still waiting for a Madison Jeffries appearance. He needs to be brought back to Alpha Flight. Too many good Alpha Characters are in limbo.

Prince
04-25-2004, 07:42 PM
I was happy with the number of Alpha Flight characters present in Weapon X when they started. So much that I came up with a few ideas about possible connections to the evil Dept H of vol 2. But now Aurora and Madison are nowhere to be seen. Poor guy's been brainwashed for so long now, gotta feel bad for him. Hope that Walt and Alpha Flight realize that they have some friends who may need their help that aren't just from the most recent incarnation of the team. Those that have been abused since vol 2 ended and those that haven't been seen at all since the end of vol 1.

DelBubs
04-25-2004, 08:26 PM
Weapon X # 22 will be a stand alone issue, showing what Aurora, Maddy and the director have been up too since the coup. Hopefully there will be some closure in it, cos I cannot see them being used again in the book after Reload.

Richv1
04-25-2004, 08:31 PM
Yes lets have the team remembering that they have obligations to past members. If we had a core team of about 12 members so that way half the team would go out on missions while half stayed at their base incase something else came up. Like monitor duty for the JLA. That would be great. Team members being: Guardian, Vindicator, Shaman, Puck, Sasquatch, Snowbird, Marrina, Madison, Earthmover, Northstar, Aurora and Talisan. You have technology, skill, strength, leadership, fighting skill.

Nalyd Psycho
04-25-2004, 08:46 PM
I honestly don't see the same dynamic here as in the original Alpha Flight. Nemesis actively wants to KILL the other members, and is being physically restrained from doing so. Puck, Centennial... still trying to see why these two are even bothering. Major Mapleleaf's motives are obvious: he wants to do good, and he looks up to the ideal of Alpha Flight. And Yukon Jack... so Walter drugged and kidnapped him. But he's awake now. Why hasn't he left? I don't buy it. And it's not to say that I don't like the team... in fact, I LOVE this team. But a lot of it seems really implausible.

That's what I'm talking about, the differences are so extreme that it should be great. Will they be there when they are needed? even that isn't certain.

Puck is with them for honour.
Centennial is with them for something to do, something that'll make him feel right.
Yukon Jack is with them for the experience.

Richv1
04-25-2004, 11:39 PM
Yukon Jack is with them because his father told him he has to be there.
Puck is there for honour how so she lost a bet.
Centennial he just seems bored and wants something to occupy his time.

Major Mapleleaf Jr
04-26-2004, 05:11 PM
Yukon Jack isn't there because his father told him to be there. He's there because he was drugged and kidnapped... basically, his father sold him to Sasquatch. Yeaaaaaah, that's real democratic.

Richv1
04-26-2004, 06:36 PM
If Yukon Jack is not staying there because his father told him he has to couldn't he just leave? The drugs must have worn off.

DelBubs
04-26-2004, 06:53 PM
If Yukon Jack is not staying there because his father told him he has to couldn't he just leave? The drugs must have worn off.
He's probably become intriqued with the big wide world he's found himself in and willstay with team to experience it. He'll remain a member until his sister 'Pollyputthekettleon' comes to rescue him :-)

jay042
04-26-2004, 07:29 PM
Considering the way the team got formed, it seems Walt must be taking some team organization lessons from General Clarke. :twisted:

Richv1
04-26-2004, 08:52 PM
Maybe General Clarke and Pollyputthekettleon should get together and form their own team. :roll:

Prince
04-27-2004, 12:22 AM
Yukon Jack's father told him to see the world before he could take over the throne. Then drugged him and sold him to Walt, Jack must figure that if he were to go back he'd never get the throne. 20 bucks though says that if AF vol 3 lasts long enough he and Alpha Flight will have to return to fight some usurper for the throne. Ala Black Panther or Namor. Regular story for those royal types.

Richv1
04-27-2004, 07:37 PM
That would be a good way to get him to work together as part of a team. If it was to prtect his future throne he could see the value of having powerful allies on his side such as Alpha Flight.

Nalyd Psycho
04-27-2004, 09:14 PM
I think it's more likely he'll have a confrontation with his father. He seems like a dirty rat.

Richv1
04-28-2004, 06:46 PM
His father didn't seem all that great a guy either. So maybe he is better off away from him. It might improve his character.

Major Mapleleaf Jr
04-28-2004, 06:53 PM
All I was saying is that he was forced to go. If he was going because his father told him to, then what need was there for him to be tranquilized and carried off? Maybe he is interested in seeing the world. Maybe he has become curious. But if this guy is some arrogant, pissy little royal with loads of power (and he has to be packing some serious power for Walt to even KNOW of him in a world that his people have isolated themselves from, much less for Walt to go to this kind of trouble to get him), then I would think that the second he woke up, he'd kick everyone's ass in the room and then either demand to be taken back or just leave on his own. I just don't like the transition from drugged state to oh-well-he's-on-the-team-now.

Richv1
04-28-2004, 07:04 PM
I don't like that either if he has to be drugged to get him on the team he shouldn't be there. The same thing kind of applies to Nemisis having to have nano things to control her. Team members should be there willingly for them to work as a team. Puck's daughter as well is there cause she lost a bet. Thats not a good reason either. Or Centennial because he has nothing better to do. Only sasquatch and Major Maple Leaf really want to be there and therefore belong there.

bigbloo
04-29-2004, 11:46 AM
Lets go back to comparing this team with the old Alpha. Why did the original members join the team in the first place? Was it the big salary and the fringe benifits? The prestige of being a member of the official national superhero team of Canada? Because they wanted to do good and fight for justice? What were their reasosns for joining and staying?

The only one that was clearly stated was J-P's. He always said, and acted on the premise that the only reason he was on the team was for his sister.

Ben
04-29-2004, 12:06 PM
I'd say from the Originals, Mac was there out of a sense of duty. He invented this suit of power, he felt it was his duty to use it to protect his country, likewise it was his duty to form Alpha Flight. Puck, we know wanted to be there, worked hard to get to Alpha. He had been through some sketchy times in his life, maybe wanting to make ammends for some things he wasn't proud of. Or for perhaps after having lived so long, and having seen so much, he needed a but of a sense of purpose. Snowbird was there to facilitate the defeat of The Great Beasts, Shaman was there as he had a duty to Birdie, and he was an old friend of Heather's. He's also a proud man, and would want to protect his country. Aurora, probably there for fun. Marrina was probably there as a sense of duty too. Sasquatch became what he is through his Scientific experiments. But we know he wanted to become the next Hulk, so he obviously had some reason to want powers. Probably after having be a pro football player, world class scintist, he needed a new challange.

Now, to compare, I'd say that Centennial and Judd joined AF for similar reasons. Major Mapleaf (and Thunder) are there as a sense of duty. Being a very good person, he's probably closes to Marrina in his reasons for taking part. Walt is in the new AF as a sence of duty from having fought for his country so long, and to save the originals. Yukon Jack is probably staying with AF, as he wants Makkamakka's throne. His father got him there, so to turn his back on his father might hurt his chances of become the next leader of his people. Selfish reasons I guess, closest to Snowbird. Zuzha, she's there because she lost a bet, and she may have a crush on Walt. Once she finds out about her daddy, that will be reason enough to stay. Nemesis, well, she doesn't have much choice now, does she :)

Ben

SwiftFox
04-29-2004, 06:54 PM
Democratic??? This is Canada, what has democracy got to do with anything??? :twisted:

He's there because he was drugged and kidnapped... basically, his father sold him to Sasquatch. Yeaaaaaah, that's real democratic.

Richv1
04-30-2004, 10:53 AM
From the originals I think yes Mac was there because he invented the suit and felt he was the best and most capable of using it. He is loyal to his country. His wife ended up joining out of respect for her husband and country. Shaman was there out of respect as well as a way of helping the land and country where he was born the same reasons applied to Snowbird with the reason also that she respected Shaman. Talisman to at the start was there because of her father Shaman she was trying to follow in his footsteps.
Puck well was in love with Heather. And Mac was his friend both good reasons for helping them out with forming a new team.
Walter well he had powers and abilities and a brilliant mind so this new team gave him a way of using both, and it gave him a way of helping people all of which he wanted.
Marrina was a stranger and wanted to below. So why not join a team. Its a good place to try to belong. She grew to respect her teammates.
Northstar yes was there to protect his sister but he also likes the spot light. But not as much as Aurora does she likes to be the center of attention.
This is the one thing the original team seems to have more of and that is respect for each other even with the in fighting that did occur. The new team seems to lack that.

Garry/Al-Fan
06-20-2005, 09:05 PM
Yukon Jack's father told him to see the world before he could take over the throne...Jack must figure that if he were to go back he'd never get the throne. 20 bucks though says that....Alpha Flight will have to return to fight some usurper for the throne.
Yukon Jack's father reminds me of SOMON.

Richv1
06-21-2005, 07:37 AM
Well it would be nice to have Alpha Flight make a return and to have them handled better. Do it a a serious comic.

Julesville
07-17-2005, 07:14 PM
I don't like 'em that much. Everything about this team was just so ametuer. They whole series seemed to focus way too much on humor then an actual team for super-heroing. Most of the characters where half-evil anyway, forced to fight for not-good, but oportunism. Lame.

However, some characters they created were lasting and interesting. Puck and Major Mapleleaf have a lot of crossover potential. They're romance would have been something fun to watch instead of just see the result of; MML trying to straighten Puck out, and Puck trying to loosen MML up, so cute...

Alpha Flight needs a "real world" application; return the power of Department H and the Canadian people, make AF a public institution again, make it dark.