PDA

View Full Version : Who do YOU think should have their own series?

HappyCanuck
04-23-2004, 12:43 AM
I've kinda opened the door to this one by meantioning that Northstar (http://forum.alphaflight.net/viewtopic.php?p=2248&highlight=#2248) should have his own book, but who do YOU think should have their own book (i don't mean miniseries - I mean maxiseries (6 - 25 issues) or ongoing), and why?

Ben
04-23-2004, 12:46 AM
How about a Sasquatch and Puck (the original) series. Kinda like the old Thing and Human torch series. Not a solo, but close to it :)

Mystic
04-23-2004, 12:56 AM
I would love for them to come out with a Shaman/Snowbird series. What interesting things they must come across (being a mystic and a half-god). I would pay money to see that.

It would also be interesting to see a Nemesis series. Watch her do her work. Perhaps reflect on what she has done in the past. (hmmm....perhaps that could be a work of fiction for me :) )

-Mystic

Major Mapleleaf Jr
04-23-2004, 12:58 AM
Major Mapleleaf! Just have Lobdell write it with the same sort of humor that he does here, and it'd be a fun read. I can see it now... "The Adventures of Major Mapleleaf and Thunder!"

... I'd buy it, damn it. :lol:

Prince
04-23-2004, 01:08 AM
Puuuuuuuuuck! Totally. I could totally see him being all secret agenty kinda like the current Mystique series. Course being 3'6" would probably mean its kinda tough to go undercover but he'd totally kick butt in the action scenes.

Syd
04-23-2004, 01:39 AM
I'd second a Nemesis retrospective in a short series exploring her origins and wouldn't mind exploring Puck's shadowy past either. But ultimately I would love for something positive to come from Diamond Lil's end of things because she was always a favourite of mine too.

Magik
04-23-2004, 02:53 AM
Oh, I just don't know.. Who do I think deserves their own series? Well.. I wonder if I could think of anyone.. Hmm.. Oh, Hey! I know! How about Magik/Illyana? :)

In all seriousness, Magik is a great candidate for a series. She hasn't been seen (except for occasional flashbacks and such - Not counting the child Illyana here, folks.) in comics since March, 1989!!! It's long past time to bring this girl back, and I can't think of a better way to tell the story of where on Earth (or elsewhere..) she's been in the mean time than in her own series. ;)

(Yeah, yeah, yeah.. I'm a dog with a bone. :D)

~ Magik

Ben
04-23-2004, 03:20 AM
I think we are talking about which member of Alpha Flight should have thier own series Magik, and last I checked she wasn't one ;)

Magik
04-23-2004, 03:52 AM
Oooh, Whoops! Your post confused me at first, Ben. I looked through all of the posts and couldn't find a single reference that it was just Alpha Flight, then I noticed it was in the 'Alpha Talk' sub forum. :)

I view posts by clicking the 'View posts since last visit' button, so I don't go into the actual sub forum.. I didn't notice it was in Alpha Talk. :) Sorry 'bout that, folks. (I've goofed already!! You'll find that I tend to do that quite a bit. ;)) I'll start looking to the left of the Topic to check the sub forum before I post next time. My apologies again.

To be on topic, I like Mystic's idea of a Snowbird/Shaman series. They could run across any number of .. Uh.. Magikal beings.. :D (And that would be called cheating. *laughs*)

~ Magik

HappyCanuck
04-23-2004, 05:10 AM
Oooh, Whoops! Your post confused me at first, Ben. I looked through all of the posts and couldn't find a single reference that it was just Alpha Flight, then I noticed it was in the 'Alpha Talk' sub forum. :)~ Magik

My fault, Magik, really. I shoulda specified 'which ALPHA FLIGHT character...'. I do the same thing - clicking 'view all new...' etc...

suzene
04-23-2004, 05:50 AM
While character loyalty prompts me to say Northstar, I think a Puck series would just work better as an ongoing title.

Suzene

HappyCanuck
04-23-2004, 05:52 AM
Apparently, everyone seems to be missing the last two words of my oringinal post... the question isn't just WHO you'd like to see, but WHY you think they are so marketable?

suzene
04-23-2004, 06:00 AM
Apparently, everyone seems to be missing the last two words of my oringinal post... the question isn't just WHO you'd like to see, but WHY you think they are so marketable?

In this case, simply because Judd is a) a character that we just don't know that much about and so has room to develop in many directions, b) is visually unusual, c) can cooperate with others, so guest-stars are easy to work in, and d) is a pretty strong hook for some of the old guard readers out there.

Suzene

beetleblack
04-23-2004, 09:57 AM
I have to say that I'm not really a fan of solo-hero comic books - much prefer team books. But if I had to say anyone I would say Northstar & Aurora.

Saying that of course, if ANY Alphan's got their own series I would probably buy it just to show my support.

Prince
04-24-2004, 02:44 PM
I had a thought, not quite a solo book but an Alpha Flight spin-off. Shaman leading a kind of Defenders-like team. With Snowbird, Talisman and Puck working with him. Working the mystical side of things, Puck was a fortune hunter and such after all and has some mystical knowledge. Could see them dealing with mystical threats all over the world keeping dangerous magical artifacts out of the wrong hands.

Nemesis
04-24-2004, 04:54 PM
1. Nemesis for sure. I just love her and am glad to see her back again. I thought Marvel had killed her off too.

2. Witchfire

Maybe they could team up

Richv1
04-24-2004, 08:25 PM
Snowbird and Marrina! Maybe even a team-up of these two. They are so much alike. And so different.

Weapon Omega
04-27-2004, 06:33 PM
I would love to see a Indiana Jones style, World-Spanning adventure starring Puck. He has all this history that no one really expanded upon. Also, maybe a mini series about the new Alpha Flight rescuing the past members from Weapon X. Just a thought.

PWalk
04-28-2004, 05:35 PM
How about a Box limited series?

With the popularity of giant robot Anime' these days I think if you did a 6 issue limited series with him in Japan or something it would sell.

Ottawa Renegade
04-29-2004, 07:22 PM
I would love a series for Mac. He could die in every odd-numbered issue and return in every even-numbered one. :shock:

Nalyd Psycho
04-29-2004, 09:11 PM
I'd just like to see Volume 3 last as long as Volume 1...

kozzi24
05-02-2004, 09:33 AM
Northstar was a former terrorist with a childhood history of repeatedly losing parents, an unexplored origin, a tenuous relationship with a twin he was not raised with, multifacted powers that still have not been fully explored, and formative teen year history that has only been hinted at. There's enough there for the character to have his own book, and be something well beyond a second-rate Quicksilver.
Unfortunately, the gay thing would hurt the marketability. Too many single younger guys would be afraid to be seen buying it.

HappyCanuck
05-02-2004, 09:50 AM
Northstar was a former terrorist with a childhood history of repeatedly losing parents, an unexplored origin, a tenuous relationship with a twin he was not raised with, multifacted powers that still have not been fully explored, and formative teen year history that has only been hinted at. There's enough there for the character to have his own book, and be something well beyond a second-rate Quicksilver.

:D Finally, a man/woman after my own heart!!

Unfortunately, the gay thing would hurt the marketability. Too many single younger guys would be afraid to be seen buying it.

Possibly right, but it shouldn't impact the market TOO much, especially if it's done tactfully (good luck with that; this is Marvel - Kings/Queens of the Tactless!)

bigbloo
05-02-2004, 11:20 AM
Northstar and Aurora.

I agree with kozzi's post on why J-P would be popular. We could get the straight guy fanboys to buy the book with lots and lots of half naked flying Aurora scenes. :D

Nalyd Psycho
05-02-2004, 04:36 PM
I'd buy it because I'll give any major series based in Canada a shot. But JP does have an interesting and deep history with tonnes of story potential. problem is, there's only two writers I can think of that can tactfully write gay characters. One is a DC exclussive (Judd Winnick) and the other doesn't like to do more than 12 issues of a company owned property. (Warren Ellis)

syvalois
05-02-2004, 06:39 PM
Plus the writer should be able to write a quebecer properly, which I see none at the moment:) :twisted: :wink:

Weapon Omega
05-02-2004, 11:40 PM
I'd just like to see Volume 3 last as long as Volume 1...

I'll second that motion!!!!

Richv1
05-03-2004, 04:39 PM
How about some limited series feature Wire, Ghost Girl, Purple Girl lets see these heroes make a come back. All three had potention why not use it.

suzene
05-03-2004, 06:59 PM

Good points all -- and the last one is sadly true. I do think, however, that Northstar as a solo character in an ongoing series would become grating in short order. As part of a team, he's an excellent counterweight to more optimistic characters personality-wise and the cynical voice of experience, not to mention that his powers make him one hell of a support fighter. Don't get me wrong, I *adore* JP, I just don't think he'd be used to best advantage in a solo book.

Suzene

Ben
05-03-2004, 07:13 PM
All in all, I think the stand alone book that would make the most sense is Puck. He has such rich history. The whole book could easily take place in the past. Who else wants to see his origonal battles with the Brass Bishop? Boy did Seagle ever do a great job making me want to see that story!

Ben

Richv1
05-03-2004, 08:15 PM
I would love to see a comic that explains and shows how Puck lost that demon he had trapped inside him and have it explained why he is not 80 years old and a gaint since the demon was what kept him a dwarf. I did read a write up about it on the internet but I'd like to see a comic book about it.

Ben
05-03-2004, 08:21 PM
well, it really already is covered in the comic books, it's just spread out.

Richv1
05-03-2004, 10:20 PM
Well than maybe they could put it all together. It really wasn't covered very well or explained that good.
How about Shaman and Talisman in a series together. They could face some magical menace. Maybe Metaphiso I haven't seen him for awhile.

kozzi24
05-04-2004, 07:31 PM
I would love to see a comic that explains and shows how Puck lost that demon he had trapped inside him and have it explained why he is not 80 years old and a gaint since the demon was what kept him a dwarf. I did read a write up about it on the internet but I'd like to see a comic book about it.
That was covered in Fabian N's "Building Blocks" arc. The Master experiemented with Puck, using"the last" of the Scranble Enzyme. But the Master's database of Puck was as a dwarf, so the enzyme had a bad reaction to the old tall Puck. With Walter's biochemistry skills, the enzyme was made to work, and Puck was restore to dwarf status, but with super-dense skin and low-grade superstregth.
If I'm remembering right.

Ben
05-04-2004, 08:26 PM
Yep, yer right on the mark there Kozzi24.

If anyone is interested in the long winded version, I just uploaded my Puck I bio. Like most the the main characters, it ended up much longer than intended :)

Ben

Richv1
05-05-2004, 09:09 AM
Building Blocks what series was that in? Not the first. Was it the second or third?

Ben
05-05-2004, 09:13 AM
Yes, it was in the first series, #87 to #90

Richv1
05-05-2004, 10:21 AM
Ok I have all that series from start to end maybe it has just been to long since I read it. I its hard to remember every comic when you read an average of two per day or more.

Ahab
05-11-2004, 07:54 PM
I agree that Puck would be a good choice due to all of the experience he has had in his life. Some damage control would have to be done in other books though to restore his image as a formidable guy. There have been too many stories out there, some might even refer to them as "Uncanny" that has made him look like a twerp. Restore Bryne's original version of Puck and you'd have a winner.

kozzi24
05-11-2004, 09:31 PM
Puck is less than a twerp now. Byrne's original version didn't have the low grade superstrength or dense skin.

Richv1
05-11-2004, 11:48 PM
When Puck first appeared he didn't need super strength low grade or not. He used his skills. That was all he needed and all he still really needs. His skill and experience are what made him one tough little canuck. And having him look like a hockey puck was cool. I just realisted thats what his original costume made him look like. Can you tell I'm not a hockey fan. But I'm a Puck fan.

Garry/Al-Fan
05-11-2005, 12:55 PM
I'd make a way to buy some of Richard and Mystic's suggestions in this thread.

As previously stated, I like a Puck-Aurora combination because they both have the ability to figure out mysteries/crimes. Next, I like a Puck-Talisman combination because Puck would feel right at home with magic and Talisman would need his world-wise expertise on many different things and I think it would bug the heck out of Shaman! Next, I like a Sasquatch-Northstar combination because it's so unlikely that these two would team-up for anything...except trying to find AURORA!

And even more unlikely: Talisman-Snowbird.

HappyCanuck
05-11-2005, 03:24 PM
I'd make a way to buy some of Richard and Mystic's suggestions in this thread.

As previously stated, I like a Puck-Aurora combination because they both have the ability to figure out mysteries/crimes. Next, I like a Puck-Talisman combination because Puck would feel right at home with magic and Talisman would need his world-wise expertise on many different things and I think it would bug the heck out of Shaman! Next, I like a Sasquatch-Northstar combination because it's so unlikely that these two would team-up for anything...except trying to find AURORA!

And even more unlikely: Talisman-Snowbird.

Heh, got one more for you, one I've had in the planning stages for awhile: a Shaman-Talisman-Earthmover story, basically rounding out these characters. When I get it written, I'll letchya'll see

birdygirl
05-11-2005, 04:07 PM
Puck could definitely have his own series. And, yes, I'd love to see a Shaman/Snowbird/Talisman series. Even a mini-series would do. :)

Mokole
05-11-2005, 07:00 PM
Puck could replace Northstar as advisor in New X-Men even, to Alpha Squadron. Of course, one would hope that they'd actually be IN the comic sometimes.... :roll:

cmdrkoenig67
05-11-2005, 07:58 PM
Puck could replace Northstar as advisor in New X-Men even, to Alpha Squadron. Of course, one would hope that they'd actually be IN the comic sometimes.... :roll:

Um....Puck's not a mutant, remember? There's no reason for him to be in New X-Men.

Dana

Mokole
05-11-2005, 08:23 PM
Oh, I know he's not a mutant but I think that since Alpha Squadron is a 'losing' group that misses Northstar that the writer might want to bring in a more active tactician to help them, one who is familiar with Northstar's ways. Not exactly any mutants to choose from and Puck does have the most history with X-Men, notably Logan.

Richv1
05-12-2005, 12:01 AM
I don't think I'd want Puck in the X-Men cause they would use him only as a secondary character like they ended up doing with Northstar. And that would be such a waste of such a great character.
Now an Merrina and Puck limited that would be great to see.

Garry/Al-Fan
05-14-2005, 04:55 PM
The Master heals himself. He reconstituted his dissected body using the Plodex spacecraft; he didn't, doesn't, and shouldn't have to inject himself with a Scramble-enzyme [I had forgotten I actually had that issue] to "enhance" himself. The Master says he's "totally aware of all things on Earth," surely he knew that Scramble was nuts.

Once he got himself together and realized what he could do, The Master would have repaired the damage inflicted when Puck snatched his helmet off (after he figured out a way to survive the underwater explosion in AFV1# 16).

And The Master should've been able to fix his own eyes, when he was blinded (I don't have the issue)...before he died (don't have, or want---but may need---that issue).

This Scramble nonsense has infected just about everybody in AF...and it shouldn't.

patrick_j_clarke
05-24-2005, 07:47 PM
I would like to see BOX have his own series.

It would be about a totally different character "inheriting" a very special version of the BOX armor from the past while he is dealing with his own prognosis of a life debilitating disease.

I think the strength of the Roger Bochs character was that he WAS handicapped, and the BOX armor was his freedom and his way to be more than a broken man in a wheelchair.

What would happen to someone who was recently disabled and given this "out" early on in being disabled? That's what I would explore. Oh, and lots of ROBOT FIGHTING AS WELL!!!

And where did this armor come from? Hmmm...it's almost like I already have a story.

...which I do. Got the first four issues written and the first 6 beat sheets done. Was part of that whole EPIC thing, then it all went to crap...

or maybe a good Puck story, eh Michael May?

- pjc

HappyCanuck
05-24-2005, 09:18 PM
Not a bad idea for a Box story - kinda reminiscent of the original Box (no, I'm not one who considers Jaxon the first Box. He usurped Box from Roger, and used it for his own use. It would be like taking the the atom bomb that hit Nagasaki, even tho the first one had already been used on Hiroshima... okay I'm not sure if that analogy is accurate, but it's the closest I could come up with).

One slight problem with your post, tho, Patrick...

I think the strength of the Roger Bochs character was that he WAS handicapped, and the BOX armor was his freedom and his way to be more than a broken man in a wheelchair.

Box wasn't Roger's freedom, it was his crutch. As Box, Roger could pretend that he was a 'whole' man again, living a fantasy instead of working with what he really had for strengths, such as the fact he was a creative genius. He took his disabilities and used them as a barrier from the rest of the world, believing, because he wasn't 'whole', that he was less than perfect, that he was more of a shade of a man, when in fact, he could have been a lot more if he accepted what he was, that his limitations were, and what his TRUE strengths were. THAT was his true downfall, and why he let himself be dragged down by the emotionally manipulative Aurora and the psychotic Scramble. That's what made him weak (as a person, not as a character -- as a character, I had no problems with him, since it was true-to-form).

(I'm doing it again -- I'm psychoanalysing fiction characters again.... ugh)

Garry/Al-Fan
05-25-2005, 11:42 AM
Welcome back, Patrick, and your BOX storyline sounds interesting.

HappyCanuck
05-25-2005, 01:21 PM
I agree, it DOES sound interesting... I think it'd sound good in either version (Patrick's original conception or my 'crutch' thesis)

patrick_j_clarke
05-26-2005, 03:54 PM
I agree, it DOES sound interesting... I think it'd sound good in either version (Patrick's original conception or my 'crutch' thesis)

I agree with the 'crutch' idea with Roger. But in the beginning I envisioned that Roger saw the BOX armor as a freedom and a way to make himself feel like he was "someone".

There are a lot of things that "free" you that become a horrible crutch down the line, no? That is definately part of what I'm driving at with my updated story.

But for some reason, as many people that love BOX (including JB himself) I just don't see Marvel taking a chance on a book like this. It would probably be better just to start up whole new story and character with no ties to BOX and AF, but that just ain't right in my opinion :P

- pjc

patrick_j_clarke
12-31-2005, 07:56 PM
Ack! I just looked at the previous post date on this thread! Man, time flies by...

Well, a new job and some freelance comic pin-up work sure does get in the way!

I really want to finish the first six issues of my BOX story, but what should I do then? Anyone know of a champion of Alpha Flight at Marvel?

Happy New Year everyone, I know what my resolution is!

- pjc

darc_light
12-31-2005, 08:40 PM
:-k They're are a lot of things about Nemesis that haven't been revealed that I'd like to know. Her "army", The Children of the Night, were only shown in one issue, with a vaque referance to being "Soldiers in a war against evil". I wrote the profile for them at the Appendix, and I'm still not sure what they're there for. What evil? Has it come yet? :?: I'd also like to see Nemesis reunited with Kyle, (Not as he is now, but peacefully) Nemesis seemed to be the only person who actually cared about and took care of Wild Child for a long time, I kind of felt they had an almost mother/son bond...Which is why I'm strongly against the idea of a Nemesis/Wild Child romantic pairing...Shard was almost perfect for him, but she's dead now.. :cry:

langkowski_fan
01-01-2006, 12:38 AM
I'm with Ben...a Sasquatch and Puck series would rock!! Also, I'd definitely buy a Sasquatch solo series...he could fight people like Wendigo and Super-Skrull and even mix it up with the Hulk. I think it could have a great mix of action and humor...maybe they could even do a Marvel Two-In-One kinda thing, where Sas teams up with a different hero every issue, both big name heroes and even the little guys, kinda like the Thing used to..I'd definitely buy it!!

Legerd
01-01-2006, 10:28 AM
I think there are several characters from AF that would do great in their own series.

1. Puck. Come on, with his skills and background there is more than enough there to make for a good solo book.

2. Talisman. Powerful mystic fighting evil from various dimensions, teaming up with Shaman, Snowbird or Dr. Strange now and again.

3. Wyre. Yes, yes I know a lot of you hate him, but he's perfect for this. Fighting skills, weird power, shady background and a mercenary to boot!

4. Sasquatch. The Two-In-One idea is dead on.

5. Northstar and Aurora. A great team with their own unique tensions.

zekethegreat
01-01-2006, 11:21 AM
I think a series should be made about AF like the Marvel Comics Presents.
so that there are a few stories in each issue featuring a few Alphans.

Zekeman

Powersurge
01-01-2006, 11:58 AM
The Epsilons. The funny thing is, I've never read any of vol.2 and don't even know what these guys look like, but I'm totally enamoured with the idea of them. Go figure.

Powersurge
01-01-2006, 12:59 PM
Oh yeah .... Major Mapleleaf, starting with a story involving the lad and his dad ... a passing the mantle story that readdresses and provides more insight into MM Sr. career. I mean the guy was a freakin WWII war-hero on par with Cap America and Union Jack, and even as his credientials were established he was since being relagated to the role of mean old kid-beating has-been, which really sucks IMO.

So the guy was as tough as nails. Tough fathers produce tough people ... the kind capable of taking the fight to a buncha scum bags like the Nazi's and giving them their due, instead o'sittin back and hopin they'll share their feeling or something with us.

Making the guy some mean, bitter old man just does a real disservice, I think, to the past and past generations ... not to mention war-veterans and Canada.

So, MM Sr/Jr solo series or mini-series.

Legerd
01-01-2006, 01:50 PM
Here (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.mutantsandmasterminds.com/fanart/albums/userpics/10024/Epsilon.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.mutantsandmasterminds.com/fanart/displayimage.php%3Falbum%3Drandom%26cat%3D%26pos%3 D-75&h=400&w=153&sz=14&tbnid=r7-KPDh-n18J:&tbnh=120&tbnw=45&hl=en&start=2&prev=/images%3Fq%3Depsilon%2Bguards%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3D en%26lr%3D)'s a link to some fan art of an epsilon black soldier:

Powersurge
01-01-2006, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the image Legerd!

I guess my Renegades aren't so far off of the mark; considering they made some aesthetic changes to their armour when they went rogue.

Strange to see them linked with a corportation called Gentech in this guys rpg campaign, given the timeframe. That was the name of a corporation that I made up for my "Thunder" rpg campaign, set in Marvel Canada.

Ben
01-01-2006, 02:53 PM
Here's a couple of 'em with the Mac clone:

http://www.alphaflight.net/character_galleries/guardian3/guardian3_gallery2.jpg

Ben

Legerd
01-01-2006, 06:40 PM
The only good thing to happen in Vol 2 (IMO) were the epsilon guards. The reds were your average armoured goons and the blacks were the hardcore wetworks kind, if I recall correctly. Very cool look to them. 8)

Powersurge
01-01-2006, 07:05 PM
The reds have a much more form-fitting design to their armour than I would have thought. Were they based upon Mac's cybernetic/battlesuit design?

syvalois
01-02-2006, 04:18 PM
Oh yeah .... Major Mapleleaf, starting with a story involving the lad and his dad ... a passing the mantle story that readdresses and provides more insight into MM Sr. career. I mean the guy was a freakin WWII war-hero on par with Cap America and Union Jack, and even as his credientials were established he was since being relagated to the role of mean old kid-beating has-been, which really sucks IMO.

So the guy was as tough as nails. Tough fathers produce tough people ... the kind capable of taking the fight to a buncha scum bags like the Nazi's and giving them their due, instead o'sittin back and hopin they'll share their feeling or something with us.

Making the guy some mean, bitter old man just does a real disservice, I think, to the past and past generations ... not to mention war-veterans and Canada.

Major Maple leaf existance is a joke and do a lot of disservice to war-veterans and Canada, IMO. His name and costume just look like a big stereotype of Canada. The concept his like a big american joke to canadians. No, I like him better as a mean guy, at least he do change from the canadian stereotype and give a little bit of subtility and substance to his son which is the ultimate canadian stereotype.

Anyway, I think the concept should have never existed, but since we are stuck with it, we can play with the concept and child abuse is something important and interesting to do, if done right, it can be a powerful tool in helping kids and adults that did had or have that problem.

Powersurge
01-02-2006, 05:02 PM
Major Maple leaf existance is a joke and do a lot of disservice to war-veterans and Canada, IMO. His name and costume just look like a big stereotype of Canada. The concept his like a big american joke to canadians.

No, I like him better as a mean guy, at least he do change from the canadian stereotype and give a little bit of subtility and substance to his son which is the ultimate canadian stereotype.

Anyway, I think the concept should have never existed, but since we are stuck with it, we can play with the concept and child abuse is something important and interesting to do, if done right, it can be a powerful tool in helping kids and adults that did had or have that problem.

I think thats what therapy is for.

MM Sr. is no more a stereotype or joke than is Capt. America, all draped in the red,white and blue, and full of the same old rhetoric. In fact, MM Sr. rough as nails demeanour is inkeeping with many historical Canadian Mounties and the general disposition of hellraising Canadian soldiers during WWII.

What makes him a "joke" is relagating him to "has-been" status, and then further selling him short in the hopes of bolstering the status of the 2-dimensional steroetype of Canada that is MM Jr. is. Talk about an insult.

In fact, from what I've read around here, Vol.3 in general is pretty roundly considered a joke and insult, while Northstar's "coming out of the closet" issue, which was also the premiere of MM Sr, correct (?), is fairly legendary or at least well known.

Anyway, I suppose everyone has their rights to their favourites and least favouirites and rationales for either. I like the MM Sr. idea, but not what has been done to it.

Legerd
01-04-2006, 04:52 AM

Major Maple leaf existance is a joke and do a lot of disservice to war-veterans and Canada, IMO. His name and costume just look like a big stereotype of Canada. The concept his like a big american joke to canadians. No, I like him better as a mean guy, at least he do change from the canadian stereotype and give a little bit of subtility and substance to his son which is the ultimate canadian stereotype.

The thing that cheeses me off to no end is apparantly every Canadian parent in the MU is abusive. Wolverine's grandfather kicks him out of the house, Kyle's parents kick him out, Sabertooth's father kept him chained up in the basement, Sammy (the fish-headed boy who befriended Juggernaut) was abused by his parents, Shaman abandoned his daughter (Talisman) when his wife died, Goblyn and Pathway's parents rejected them, plus there have been various no-names in different stories who are shown being cruel to their kids. It's like the evil government conspiracy shtick; a few stories like that are okay, but every single story...? :x Here's a thought, why not be creative and do something new?.

HappyCanuck
01-04-2006, 10:43 AM
Now that I think about it, Legerd's got a point... can anyone find an instance where a Canadian HASN'T come from a dysfunctional home-life??

To add to the list:
- Walter meantioned his son ONCE, but we've never heard hair nor hide of him since
- I don't think I really NEED to get into the traumas of the twins' childhood.

The only one who really fits the bill as having a 'stable' childhood is Marrina (and maybe baby Hudson, but that's debateable as well)!

Powersurge
01-04-2006, 11:01 AM
The thing that cheeses me off to no end is apparantly every Canadian parent in the MU is abusive.

This reminded me of my last Marvel RPG campaign, centred around the homespun hero Thunder. The campaign took places in Marvel Canada, adn Thunder's Canadian girlfriend was investigated for abusing her son and eventually the kid was taken away by the Ministry of Children/Family/ whatever.

Now, in actaulity the kid wasn't being abused at all. The kid was a mutant, and one of Depratmnet H's "feelers", in this case the kids Vice Principle, noted this fact. So, the abuse-accusation, et al. was just their way of drafting yuong Brent into Hull House. Nasty, eh?

Only in Canada.

HappyCanuck
01-04-2006, 11:10 AM
Only in Canada.

Sadly, that's how we Canadians are being percieved.

... Great, now I got another goat to slaughter....

Barnacle13
01-04-2006, 11:49 AM
Only in Canada.

Look like we'll have to send PETA to Canada as well. Poor little defenseless goats!

HappyCanuck
01-04-2006, 12:11 PM
Only in Canada.

Look like we'll have to send PETA to Canada as well. Poor little defenseless goats!

....smart@$$ :D

kozzi24
01-04-2006, 12:43 PM

To be devil's advocate...
How abusive was MML Sr?
The abusive panel is clearly told from Jr's point of view, and to me a giveaway is the line that Sr asks how many times he told Jr. not to look through his stuff?
Is it abuse to punish a child who refuses to obey basic rules of consideration or show respect for others and/or their property?
There's actually a lot that could be delved into with the family dynamics among the Sadlers. Was Michael the type to lure his younger brothers into situations that would get him in trouble?
I just kind of looked at the abuse scene as Jr's extreme memory, the same way I look at Sr's membership with the Invaders as rather tenuous. The Invaders are mentioned by MML, but never vice versa?

Barnacle13
01-04-2006, 02:30 PM
....smart@$$ :D

I was wondering when my secret identity would be uncovered!

DelBubs
01-04-2006, 05:08 PM
Only in Canada.

Would I be correct in saying that PETA stands for People Eating Tastier Animals ?