PDA

View Full Version : The Death of Radius

Ben
05-01-2004, 07:05 PM
I just picked up and read the issue of Uncanny X-Men in which Radius supposively died. Though the character never did all that much for me, it seemes like his "death" would have been pretty easy for him to have survived. He could be reborn all nutsy-coocoo as a vilain, having been driven mad by a prolonged entrapment underground....

Ben

HappyCanuck
05-01-2004, 07:42 PM
I just picked up and read the issue of Uncanny X-Men in which Radius supposively died. Though the character never did all that much for me, it seemes like his "death" would have been pretty easy for him to have survived. He could be reborn all nutsy-coocoo as a vilain, having been driven mad by a prolonged entrapment underground....

Ben

..... then drafted into a nutsy-cuckoo version of the new Brotherhood... I mean, didn't they all go AWOL after Mystique freed Mastermind 2.1? (2.2 would be her sister that appeared in XXM)

Ben
05-01-2004, 07:48 PM
dunno about him joining them, since it was them the tossed him in the ground.

HappyCanuck
05-01-2004, 07:50 PM
dunno about him joining them, since it was them the tossed him in the ground.

so?? he's nutsy-cuckoo, remember? Maybe it caused a really wierd form of Stolkholm Syndrome... (okay, I'm graspin at straws here...)

Is it just me, or do all former members of AF eventually lose track of their sanity (especially if we have our way)??

Ben
05-01-2004, 07:57 PM
oh my gawd! we're thinking like Bill Mantlo!

Phil
05-01-2004, 07:59 PM
Radius burrows his way underground using his forcefield, finds the moleman and his kin, where Loki finds him and tells him the Moleman was his father, and his mother was a pixie!

HappyCanuck
05-01-2004, 08:01 PM
Radius burrows his way underground using his forcefield, finds the moleman and his kin, where Loki finds him and tells him the Moleman was his father, and his mother was a pixie!

Congrats, Phil, you just surpassed Mantlo....

Phil
05-01-2004, 08:02 PM
I am the genetically enginered bastard psi-child of Mantlo.

Ben
05-01-2004, 08:03 PM
yes, and since Lobell has shown us that the moloids are in #4, then it will spell the return of Radiod, prince of the moloids!

kozzi24
05-02-2004, 09:01 AM
The multiple deaths in recent X-Men stories were for the most part an okay idea, because Marvel does need to cull some herds. Sorry to say that I think Radius was a good choice. The only recent death that I truly felt was a total waste of a character and should be undone (and could be given the nature of her powers) was Darkstar.

Ben
05-02-2004, 09:04 AM
oh, I don't mind the fact that he was killed off, it just didn't seem to be a terribly fatal end for him considering his powers. He'd be more likely to starve to death than anything else.

Ben

DelBubs
05-02-2004, 09:19 AM
oh, I don't mind the fact that he was killed off, it just didn't seem to be a terribly fatal end for him considering his powers. He'd be more likely to starve to death than anything else.

Ben
The concept of Radius, lying underground, *****ing to himself and slowly wasting away appeals to me for some reason.

bigbloo
05-02-2004, 10:59 AM
The concept of Radius, lying underground, *****ing to himself and slowly wasting away appeals to me for some reason.

LMAO! :lol:

But you gotta admit he has cool powers, so I feel its kind of a waste to kill him off. Can't we just have him brainwashed into niceness?

DelBubs
05-02-2004, 11:03 AM
For him to be brainwashed, would require him to have a brain. I never saw evidence of this. I think all Seagle was going for was the Northstar factor and NS does the angst ridden miserable f****r, (Ben, this is a word you haven't added to the censor list), way better.

I think it's best off to leave Radius underground chewing soil.

Ben
05-02-2004, 11:15 AM
yah, I wasn't saying that I WANTED to see him back, just that they wey they killed him off left a lot of room for him to come back.

and that word is now in the censor ;)

Weapon Omega
05-02-2004, 04:42 PM
I'll admit, Radius never really did it for me as a character, but, he was one of those characters that could have grown on me if he had stuck around, or if the vol. 2 series wasn't cancelled after a measely 20 issues.

And I agree, being buried to death shouldn't kill a guy with a force field. That's my opinion. In all honesty, I wouldn't mind seeing him back, if it was done right, and his character became a little more 3-dimensional.

DelBubs
05-02-2004, 08:24 PM
On a serious note, I'm glad the ****er is dead (testing a theory), but I can see how he might be still alive. However, if he's dead, does that mean that his force field is turned off so the worms can strip him bare ?

beetleblack
05-03-2004, 08:14 AM
We still never found out how he managed to go to the toilet! I think we should start a letter writing campaign to Marvel straight away and demand answers!!!

:roll:

SwiftFox
05-03-2004, 08:35 AM
Was it ever stated that nothing could go OUT from his forcefield??? I know absolutely nothing could come in through it, but I don't remembering it specifically mentioning things going outwards.

Major Mapleleaf Jr
05-03-2004, 01:44 PM
I think you guys are onto something! Now we know why Radius has such an attitude problem! He can't use the toilet, and he can't get laid! Poor guy!!!

beetleblack
05-03-2004, 02:02 PM
Well, I'm sure he's not the first constipated Marvel super-hero... actually later on in vol 2 when that other artist took over ALL the heroes looked like they were constipated, particularly Puck!

Now the worst thing is that I keep thinking of more and more unanswered questions about Radius. How did he put on clothes without his force field repelling them???? (Not sure the world would be ready for the first neked super-hunk *ahem* sorry, I mean super-HERO!) :oops:

PWalk
05-03-2004, 02:21 PM
Radius dead?

See I've been out of comics for awhile and only come back when there's a new AF title. To hear that he's dead, or at least it sounds like he could be, makes no difference to me.

Now beetleblack brings up a good question, one that always bugged me. How is it that Radius had clothes on? or even ate?

Ben
05-03-2004, 02:42 PM
He had a gizmo that could be attacted to his forcefield to convert matter to allow it to pass through is forcefield. That's how he ate, and went to the washroom. but as for clothes...Lets' thank Ried Richards for Unstable molecules ;)

beetleblack
05-03-2004, 03:09 PM
He had a gizmo that could be attacted to his forcefield to convert matter to allow it to pass through is forcefield. That's how he ate, and went to the washroom.

In that case I'm hoping he had a seperate one for using the bathroom with! We have to presume that Dept H had the gizmo specially made for him, let's hope they were quick about it after his power developed at Hull House or the poor think could have starved to death!

DelBubs
12-09-2004, 05:55 PM
Knew it was around here somwhere. Radius can change his codename to 'Wormfood Guy'.

HappyCanuck
12-09-2004, 05:57 PM
In that case I'm hoping he had a seperate one for using the bathroom with! We have to presume that Dept H had the gizmo specially made for him, let's hope they were quick about it after his power developed at Hull House or the poor think could have starved to death!

Hmmm, that would explain why Jared was always a pain in the kiester... force-field constipation!

Mokole
12-10-2004, 12:47 AM
Well, sound waves could get in and out, so could light as he could see and be seen. I don't recall anything physical (mass) ever leaving him like spittle but it's not like I own every issue.

kozzi24
12-10-2004, 02:34 AM
On a serious note, I'm glad the f****r is dead (testing a theory), but I can see how he might be still alive. However, if he's dead, does that mean that his force field is turned off so the worms can strip him bare ?
A comforting thought for you, Del.
The force field saved him from being crushed by Avalanch; the earth he moved just compressed the force field.
Then Radius slowly ran out of air.
Then he died, and with his life energy gone, the worms went to work.

DelBubs
12-10-2004, 01:21 PM
On a serious note, I'm glad the f****r is dead (testing a theory), but I can see how he might be still alive. However, if he's dead, does that mean that his force field is turned off so the worms can strip him bare ?
A comforting thought for you, Del.
The force field saved him from being crushed by Avalanch; the earth he moved just compressed the force field.
Then Radius slowly ran out of air.
Then he died, and with his life energy gone, the worms went to work.
Kozzi goes to the top of my christmas card list. So Radius had a long slow lingering lonely death and then got eaten by the worms :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Scarlettspiderg
12-10-2004, 01:54 PM
Which issue of Uncanny did this happen in?

DelBubs
12-10-2004, 03:19 PM
It was Uncanny #405, I thought it was #406 and bought that. Imagine how sad I was to find I couldn't glory in the demise of Radius. Fortunately I found #405 in Bristol this year. To be truthful his demise is portrayed quite well, he comes across as more three dimensional than the two dimensional cliche we found in vol 2. So Joe Casey can write, although Radius's demise is the only part of the comic I remember.

Scarlettspiderg
12-10-2004, 03:23 PM
Thanks I'll try and pick it up on E-Bay.

Barnacle13
12-10-2004, 04:44 PM
Wow, who'd have thunk I'd stir up such a conversation. I agree Radius was always a bit 2D and extremely brash, but he wasn't afraid to make a decision. I hate to see any character killed or kulled without a good reason (i.e. Mac's first death). I just figure it's kind of a cop out. I don't know how to use this character and develop them, so I'll just kill them off. If you don't want to use them, then leave them in limbo. Perhaps one day someone will come along and write a story that makes you care about Wormfood Boy. Even with Radius' faults he is one of the more memorable characters from V2. That says something about his potential as a character. He's certainly better than Murmur of Manbot. I'd love to see him retooled and made to matter. Bring him in like Weapon Omega and build his character before you drop the bomb that he is Wormfood Boy. My guess is there weren't a lot of Wildchild fans before he was reformed. It would be very easy to explain away his death. Mole Man saves him, he utilizes his force field to plow the dirt ahead of him away and enters a subterranean complex, the worms push his carcas to the surface where Talisman asks the spirits to return life to his body thus freeing Pestilence.

seroquel
12-10-2004, 11:43 PM
All I remember about that whole story line is the Radius Stacy X encounter. It was memorable, though maybe not for the right reasons. Depending on your taste of course.

HappyCanuck
12-11-2004, 01:53 AM
All I remember about that whole story line is the Radius Stacy X encounter. It was memorable, though maybe not for the right reasons. Depending on your taste of course.

Hmm, Radius looking up the services of the X-Men's resident prostitue for help to make him 'feel'. yeah.

Oh, and haven't seen you in a while Sero (or I've been blind - which isn't totally impossible).