PDA

View Full Version : Kingdom Hospital

DelBubs
05-09-2004, 07:36 PM
Just watched the first episode of Stephen Kings Kingdom Hospital. Bloody bizarre, I think it can be described as Twin peaks meets American Gothic. Gonna watch next weeks episode and see where I go from there. Bubs is hooked allready, but she's a great Stephen King fan.

Other opinions ?

beetleblack
05-09-2004, 07:55 PM
Haven't watched it yet - taped it though.

I remember the original version "Lars Von Trier's The Kingdom" which this show is based on (or is it being hailed as a homage to?) which as far as I can remember will take some beating in the weirdness department!!! It ran for two mini seasons but a third was never made as apparently the two stars died.

Apparently the ratings slid badly when this version was shown in the States so no chance of it getting a regular series. (I would imagine that the original Danish version was never shown there.)

syvalois
05-10-2004, 01:24 AM
Haven't watched it yet - taped it though.

I remember the original version "Lars Von Trier's The Kingdom" which this show is based on (or is it being hailed as a homage to?) which as far as I can remember will take some beating in the weirdness department!!! It ran for two mini seasons but a third was never made as apparently the two stars died.

Apparently the ratings slid badly when this version was shown in the States so no chance of it getting a regular series. (I would imagine that the original Danish version was never shown there.)

I did watch the Kingdom translated very badly, it was very strange and I was strangely glue to my seat watching this strange show with the bad translation wich made it even stranger

Phil
05-16-2004, 06:54 PM
Watching the second episode has made things a bit clearer, and started to fall into place.
I'm intrigued.

DelBubs
05-16-2004, 07:06 PM
Bubs and the kids seem to be into it, they also have got some grasp on whats occuring. I read a TPB instead. Although I did catch the geezer in the coma making a comment about the Doc with his fly open. I think for future episodes I shall be doing a lot of back reading. Not my cuppa!

ladymako71
05-17-2004, 05:27 AM
hmm I'm not much of a Stephen King fan to begin with...although I loved 'Carrie'. I know this was showing a while back here in the US and from the few I know who did see it, they didn't particularly care for it. And one of them is a die hard King fanatic.

Sylvie was going on about bad translations...I think that's the par for anything American. =/ I get 6 Spanish language networks here and the only time you don't mind bad translating, is if it's a comedy...or some of the translations I've seen done into Japanese, those are downright hilarious! Anything not intended to be a comedy ends up just coming across as bad...Like the stuff done in Japanese I see, they try and fudge stuff to go with customs...dumb.

syvalois
05-17-2004, 08:44 AM
Sylvie was going on about bad translations...I think that's the par for anything American. =/ I get 6 Spanish language networks here and the only time you don't mind bad translating, is if it's a comedy...or some of the translations I've seen done into Japanese, those are downright hilarious! Anything not intended to be a comedy ends up just coming across as bad...Like the stuff done in Japanese I see, they try and fudge stuff to go with customs...dumb.

I was talking Lars Von Trier original serie and the only time I don't mind bad translation is on low quality movie/serie like soaps. The translation thing is an art and change from culture to culture. The worst translation I've seen was in Russia, you could still hear the real voice in the background and the new words did not fit with the mouth of the actors ant there seems to be only 2 voices for all the movie, 1 female, 1 male.

We do our own translation in Québec and we received some from France. I like the one done in Québec better, except when I recognize the voice of an actor. Humour translated by French do not work for me, and a gang movie staring Ice -T can become a comedy just by having the actor swear in QUebecois(which we are not used to) Slapshot is a classic here only because of the translation. I could continue but I would bore you to death, Maybe I should continu :twisted:

ladymako71
05-17-2004, 09:32 AM
could continue but I would bore you to death, Maybe I should continu :twisted:

LOL Trust me, from what I've seen of Japanese translations (the ones I'm more familiar with) it could be the most serious thing you've ever seen and come across as the most hilarious!

Think of the old Japanese Gozilla flicks translated to English if you've seen them...same thing only in reverse.

DelBubs
05-17-2004, 09:44 AM
I watched a moody DVD of Van Helsing the other night, must have been made in Thailand or somwhere, that or the person writing the subtitiles was mangled on crack. Some of his interpretations were bloody hilarious, "I'm leaving now" or some such equating to "to the door must I go'

ladymako71
05-17-2004, 10:00 AM
I watched a moody DVD of Van Helsing the other night, must have been made in Thailand or somwhere, that or the person writing the subtitiles was mangled on crack. Some of his interpretations were bloody hilarious, "I'm leaving now" or some such equating to "to the door must I go'

those are the Korean translations. they basically rewrite the whole thing and screw it up wholesale.

syvalois
05-17-2004, 10:15 AM
Think of the old Japanese Gozilla flicks translated to English if you've seen them...same thing only in reverse.

Sorry, I've never seen the original Godzilla, only part of it the no talking part.

ladymako71
05-17-2004, 10:39 AM
be glad then. lol

I know what I wanted to add earlier! a mate of mine lives down the road from Stephen King in Bangor Maine...apparently he's perfectly suited for writing the creepy stuff he writes. A lot of it comes from the area according to me mate. Bangor as a whole as she describes it is creepyville USA...I don't know personally but that's what she says. She also reckons he bases his sods on his son. =p apparently he's a real so and so.

syvalois
05-17-2004, 10:42 AM
be glad then. lol
She also reckons he bases his sods on his son. =p apparently he's a real so and so.

What do you mean by sods????

ladymako71
05-17-2004, 10:45 AM

creeps...jerks...bâtard (I think I got that right...my French is sorely lacking) people like that.

syvalois
05-17-2004, 11:04 AM

creeps...jerks...bâtard (I think I got that right...my French is sorely lacking) people like that.

very well spelled and very well used. Bâtard means bastard but can also be used like you did.

ladymako71
05-17-2004, 11:12 AM
very well spelled and very well used. Bâtard means bastard but can also be used like you did.

Thanks! =) I know what it means I just wasn't sure if I got the â in the right spot. My spelling is atrocious most of the time and in other languages it's appalling. <=)