PDA

View Full Version : #4 Discussion Thread (Spoilers From The Start)

Phil
06-02-2004, 07:43 PM
Well I haven't read it, have I? :P

Discuss away you lucky Canadians :wink:

Nalyd Psycho
06-02-2004, 08:54 PM
I won't be hitting the shop til the weekend, so I haven't read either. But I'm eagerly anticipating more Alphan goodness.

SwiftFox
06-02-2004, 08:55 PM
LOL nice Phil.

First thing I gotta say.... the pic at the end... showing for # 5... Heather is in red white and gold!

ladymako71
06-02-2004, 10:57 PM
I won't be hitting the shop til the weekend, so I haven't read either. But I'm eagerly anticipating more Alphan goodness.

You and me both...although the lucky canucks are more then welcome to spoil away. lol

SwiftFox
06-02-2004, 11:04 PM
You and me both...although the lucky canucks are more then welcome to spoil away. lol

I dunno... don't know what to spoil... :) I did find that it was about the right fit for the 4th ish in a 6 ish arc....

ladymako71
06-02-2004, 11:30 PM
I dunno... don't know what to spoil... :) I did find that it was about the right fit for the 4th ish in a 6 ish arc....

One of these days...I'm gonna get you for this...one of these days...lol

SwiftFox
06-03-2004, 08:34 AM
It's great some of the stuff we saw.... but so much of it was just a tease...

-We know Yukon Jack can generate his own light source... but how/why? (Is it really that fascinating that I couldst generate my own light source? I am an heir to an entire nation you know.

-We know Zuzha has powers.... but have no idea what they are. (I mean, how many other little girls spoke from the womb?)

-We know that Nemesis can fly. And that she is 'more than passingly familiar' with the prohibition era.

Ben
06-03-2004, 07:04 PM
LOL nice Phil.

First thing I gotta say.... the pic at the end... showing for # 5... Heather is in red white and gold!

I'm guessing that's a colouring error, as the other shots we've seen of her have been green white and gold. But, speaking of the splash page, what do you think if little plodex boy? Look how he's dressed....now take a peek at the splash at the end of #1. Hmmmmmmm So who's the woman? My guess is that SHE is marrina, he's her son, and the whole thing has quite a bit to do with them!

Ben

danielsan
06-03-2004, 09:50 PM
Doesn't the splash page for issue 1 remind of VOL 1 Number 1, when they showed little tiny cameos of Diamond Lil, Box, and Flashback? Issue 4 was great, I hereby start the Plodex Boy fanclub! I wanna see a teamup with Sammy Squidboy from the X-Men. :P

Ben
06-03-2004, 10:08 PM
Doesn't the splash page for issue 1 remind of VOL 1 Number 1, when they showed little tiny cameos of Diamond Lil, Box, and Flashback? Issue 4 was great, I hereby start the Plodex Boy fanclub! I wanna see a teamup with Sammy Squidboy from the X-Men. :P

I hadn't thought about it that way, but I can see what yer saying. You seem to dig the little guy, you grabbed that avatar in a hurry ;)

Ben

maniac mike
06-04-2004, 12:32 AM
I thought Sasquatch dancing on that video dance machine game was pretty funny. I've seen people dance on those machines and it ain't pretty. :oops:

ladymako71
06-04-2004, 12:55 AM
I thought Sasquatch dancing on that video dance machine game was pretty funny. I've seen people dance on those machines and it ain't pretty. :oops:

No it isn't pretty, but Ben had a scan of it and I'm foaming at the chop to get my mitts on #4 now!

kozzi24
06-05-2004, 11:23 AM
It's a good read, Mako. Don't wait

Richv1
06-05-2004, 12:01 PM
Sounds like #4 is a bit strange and revealing. Since we usually get ouir comics here about a week later I'll be picking it up this coming weekend. Sasquatch dancing now isn't that a pretty picture.

Phil
06-05-2004, 03:05 PM
I loved the issue.

Loved LOVED LOVED

Easily the best so far.

Enough characterisation and action and plot development.

This issue should silence the haters out there...

Richv1
06-05-2004, 04:11 PM
I'm not a hater so does that mean I can make all the noise I want?

ladymako71
06-05-2004, 05:36 PM
I completely and totally agree with Phil!

OMG It kicked a**e!

I had picked up a few tpb's for someone ;) and the bloke at the shop was packing them for me to ship and I read while I waited...I read it again in the car before coming home. lol

bad fangirl...

varo
06-05-2004, 06:11 PM
just picked up this issue, i liked it alot, i really like the time scott lobdell is putting in to developing the characters. looking forward to the big pay-off of seeing the originals. i really like the little hints they are dropping about the powers of each character, yet not totally revealing them.

good stuff.

Richv1
06-05-2004, 06:43 PM
Yes not revealing everything does keep you guessing and in suspense. Its nice to know some things but not everything. You get to learn more as you keep reading the comic.

bigbloo
06-06-2004, 01:20 PM
Great Issue! =D>

And i was laughing out loud at the thought of Sas doing the dance game. I was dissapointed that they didnt show him and Zuzha kicking plodex defense system thug butt!

Ahhh well...

Looks like the obligatory team fight is next. :)

Richv1
06-06-2004, 07:42 PM
Zuzha probably liked seeing him dance and wanted to join in if she didn't.

ladymako71
06-07-2004, 04:25 AM
My fave line in the whole book was Zuzha going on about having a bar full of stupid drunks back in Montreal. The look on her face as she said it was priceless!

Richv1
06-07-2004, 08:48 PM
And I bet she misses it to. She seems like the kind of girl to enjoy a room full of drunks.

ladymako71
06-08-2004, 12:17 AM
probably. I mean the girl keeps a baseball bat handy for when they get out of hand.

HappyCanuck
06-08-2004, 12:21 AM
probably. I mean the girl keeps a baseball bat handy for when they get out of hand.

So?? the Gold Range in Yellowknife (ranked #3 as the roughest bar in North America in 2001) has a fully-loaded shotgun in case the fully-loaded patrons get out of hand.

Richv1
06-08-2004, 12:29 AM
Is the shotgun filled with rocksalt? Plus do you really think Puck would need a gun to handle a few drunks?

ladymako71
06-08-2004, 12:34 AM
So?? the Gold Range in Yellowknife (ranked #3 as the roughest bar in North America in 2001) has a fully-loaded shotgun in case the fully-loaded patrons get out of hand.

Damnnn And I thought the place I worked at had it's moments! We had farm impliments and a few knives.

Cet
06-08-2004, 04:31 AM
Apologies for interrupting the bar talk. :)

Just wanted to add I very much enjoyed this issue as well. I thought the set-up in the beginning was quite powerful, with Major Mapleleaf explaining his origin to Nemesis (in glowing terms, of course) while seeing in his mind how it really went. Great paradox, very moving. I'm glad it was thrown in there, even though the rest of the issue was significantly less serious and shocking (yet very funny). Sort of hinted that the series is going to be funny, obviously, but we are going to get some real emotion and character development too. Not just laughs. I know I've read from folks on X-Fan and in reviews that people have been worried about the series being all jokes and cartoonishness (that can't be a word..) and such. Good to know they're wrong. :)

I really dug the interaction between Major Mapleleaf and Yukon Jack too. "It's so cool the way you can use 'mayhap' in a sentence." :lol: Lovely. I'm taking a liking real quick to Yukon Jack (and MM). Only thing that drives me nuts about him still is his bad Elizabethan grammar, but that's just the stupid English Major coming out in me. ;)

Anyway, all in all, great issue I thought. I await the next with baited breath.... (j/k, I really am looking forward to it though). :)

K, back to your regularly scheduled conversation. 8)

Nalyd Psycho
06-08-2004, 04:52 AM
Just finished the issue. More good stuff. I would like to start to get to some action, but the stories aren't lacking as the characters are just so great. I am a bit confused as to why MMJ said, "God bless America." though... The Mayhap comment was great, as was Walt's dancing. I'm starting to get curious about powers. The openning scene really built MMJ's character. I liked the copyrighting of Old Man as a codename. Mole Man's cameo was cute. I just love this team.

PWalk
06-08-2004, 10:07 AM
Great issue which really moved the story along. I won't spoil anything just yet.

Richv1
06-08-2004, 06:47 PM
So what was the Mole Man doing in it? I'll find out in a few days anyway I guess.
Does anyone else enjoy Scott's write up on the introduction page as much as I do? Its nice the way he seems to be actually taking to you.

syvalois
06-08-2004, 07:03 PM
I find it mostly anoying, but it's just me:)

bigbloo
06-09-2004, 10:26 AM
Just finished the issue. More good stuff. I would like to start to get to some action, but the stories aren't lacking as the characters are just so great. I am a bit confused as to why MMJ said, "God bless America." though...

He said "God bless America, ALL of America". I think its a reference to the fact that the America doesnt only refer to the USA, but also includes the other countries in the continent of America, including Canada, the Latin American, and the South American countries. So, if a person who was saying it was only referring to the United States of America, then he should say "God Bless the USA", instead of God Bless America. At least that is how i interpreted that line...

Ben
06-09-2004, 02:01 PM
Thought it's not nearly as good as the book deserves, ComicX-Fan did have a few good things to say in their review: http://www.comixfan.com/xfan/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28140

Ben

ladymako71
06-09-2004, 03:17 PM
He said "God bless America, ALL of America". I think its a reference to the fact that the America doesnt only refer to the USA, but also includes the other countries in the continent of America, including Canada, the Latin American, and the South American countries. So, if a person who was saying it was only referring to the United States of America, then he should say "God Bless the USA", instead of God Bless America. At least that is how i interpreted that line...

Bravo! I could not have said that better if I tried! There is more then the US on the American continent, and several of those countries had large stakes in WWII, which was depicted in the flashback. More so then people tend to realise sometimes.

Richv1
06-09-2004, 03:32 PM
Shouldn't the comic have gotten 4 maple leafs from the reviewer? And that emotion he mentions is part of what I mentioned about the intro from Scott.

ladymako71
06-09-2004, 03:35 PM
Shouldn't the comic have gotten 4 maple leafs from the reviewer? And that emotion he mentions is part of what I mentioned about the intro from Scott.

Yeah I reckon so too. The review was praising enough to warrent 4 maple leaves.

Ben
06-09-2004, 04:20 PM
that's what happens when people make thier minds up about a book before they read it. Reviewers also seem to have issues with giving praise when they don't want to .

Ben

Nalyd Psycho
06-09-2004, 07:10 PM
Just finished the issue. More good stuff. I would like to start to get to some action, but the stories aren't lacking as the characters are just so great. I am a bit confused as to why MMJ said, "God bless America." though...

I still have trouble seeing a Canadian saying that. Plus, God Bless America is a cliche used by politicians.

Richv1
06-09-2004, 07:45 PM
Hey I don't have trouble giving praise to a comic book when it deserves it. I have two review columns.

Phil
06-14-2004, 10:57 AM
http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/reviews/108681059830140.htm

kozzi24
06-14-2004, 11:43 AM
ok review

Richv1
06-14-2004, 05:44 PM
I just finished reading Alpha Flight # 4 and I will be posting the review at http://www.jazmaonline.com right now. I enjoyed the comic a lot.