PDA

View Full Version : Northstar....Yes or No to the pointed ears?

Northstars Love
06-09-2004, 04:43 PM
Ok, a little ranting by me. And JP isn't too happy about it either. :P

Question, why are some of the artists drawing JP without pointed ears? He's got pointed ears for god's sakes. Ever since Byrne drew him back in the late 70's. Why is this minor detail(ok, JP just shot me a dirty look. alright... BIG detail) so hard to follow?

So, keep the pointed ears or not?

*Drumroll please...*

Myself? Pointed ears! Love them. I'm an elf lover. I love Legolas from LOTR as well. Except Spock. Never got into Vulcans however.

syvalois
06-09-2004, 04:48 PM
and what about the hair? I like the black and white effect that almost only Byrne could do.

Northstars Love
06-09-2004, 04:51 PM
and what about the hair? I like the black and white effect that almost only Byrne could do.

Yes, very sexy salt and pepper hair going on there. I agree! It seems some artists draw him with just white hair with no black visible.

I love him as Byrne drew him. :cry:

Ben
06-09-2004, 05:01 PM
yah, NS has to have the ears. He hasn't been well drawn in ages. I think that Henry would be able to do a good version though. He's got Puck and Sasquatch down well.

Ben

ladymako71
06-09-2004, 05:06 PM
JP definitely needs the pointed ears!

and I'm going to go out on a limb here and defend the silver hair...not the white! White don't look right, although the solid silver = hot damn! at least IMO.

beetleblack
06-09-2004, 05:43 PM
Pointed ears on both Northstar AND Aurora are a must. Over at Weapon X Aurora's ears have kinda been pointed but not so pronounced.

As for the hair issue - it's always been a bit confusing to me. Black, white, silver... I know that the twins are meant to have white and black hair, but Aurora is constantly drawn with black hair with no hint of any other colour. I can't imagine her with silver hair. I think they should just go back to giving them both black hair with white for definition.

Saying that the silver hair looks okay on NS, but if they are twins they should have the same hair colour.

jay042
06-09-2004, 05:59 PM
You know, I've always wondered about the twins origins... the pointy ears, highly arched eyebrows. Mantlo said they were half-elves, though one of the later writers nixed that idea as Loki lying to them. So that means their origins have still not been resolved.

So how about this idea:

They are Namor's previously unknown children.

Jean Paul and Jean Marie would only be 0ne quarter Atlantean, so tht might explain why they don't have the ability to survive underwater. Plus, if their mother was some kind of mutant, that might explain where their light powers come from.

beetleblack
06-09-2004, 06:14 PM
Interesting idea, although it would mess up all my naughty fantasies regarding Namor and Northstar getting it together...

*ahem*

Maybe we will discover that the twins have tiny wings on their ankles? (I suppose that would explain why Bryne's Namor and the twins looked very similar... although would that explain why all of Bryne's people looked the same, maybe they're ALL related :lol:)

I would like to see a proper origin story for the twins, but I don't think we'll be seeing one in a hurry.

syvalois
06-09-2004, 09:20 PM
They are Namor's previously unknown children.

Jean Paul and Jean Marie would only be 0ne quarter Atlantean

I think the look is maybe an hommage to Namor. I think Byrne was a big fan of namar. And Sorry, it's Jeanne-Marie (Jean-Marie being a man). I know I'm a pain...

SwiftFox
06-09-2004, 10:17 PM
Hmmm I want more options... whta kinda poll only has TWO?? how about....

JP should have no ears
JP should have pointed AND rounded ears... with 4 ears... think of the things he could hear!
JP's ears should be a mystery... he could wear a lot hats and headbands and stuff....

you know, I'm beginning to think there's a reason I have no friends...

kozzi24
06-10-2004, 11:19 AM
Glad someone else turned the conversation to both twins. JP doesn't have them in the Ultimate line, but the most obvious gaffe was Aurora's appearance in X-Man several years ago.
The Namor as father idea is a great one, although they don't need a mutant mother to explain the light. Namor was a mutant because he possesses traits neither parents exhibit. It was established by Alan Davis (I think) that second generation Marvel Mutants usually exhibit multiple powers, and not only those that the mutant parent/s have/had.
And Mantlo did the Northstar hits on Namor thing.

PWalk
06-10-2004, 02:13 PM
No, he looks silly with them.
Especially since he's now a mutant, err... an elf, or a mutant. maybe they should call him a Melfant and get it over with.

Ahh hell what is he this week?

DelBubs
06-10-2004, 02:47 PM

In Ultimate X he is mostly dead and in Uncanny, he is mostly hiding in a cupboard, or would seem to be. That said, in both comics, he is a mutant, who just happens to have pointy ears.

kozzi24
06-11-2004, 11:08 AM
The entirety of the elf thing was a (bad) joke by Bill Mantlo. If you were reading the book during Mantlo's run in the 80's, then you saw a character rumored and hinted to be gay start getting an inexplicable illness, caused by being kissed by another man, debilitaing Northstar with a severe cough and failure to heal, as if he was dying of AIDS.

Then, AF #50 brought the punchline. It wasn't AIDS, it was another fairy desease.

The nasty subliminal message in the end was that if he had been afflicted with such a desease, he should leave to go live with other fairies.

Don't only blame Bill Mantlo. The editors allowed this, as the AIDS crisis factored into decisions not to reveal outright that Northstar was gay, despite the hints being there from the first full appearance: "My brother is the fighter, I am the lover."

Ben
06-11-2004, 11:14 AM
The whole ear thing doesn't really have anything to do with that bad elf story anyway. he had the ears when Byrne first drew the character, and unless he goes and getst plastic surgery, he should keep them. It's like if just because they didn't want Nightcrawler to look demonic, they five him five fingers and toes for no good reason. No point in changing something that has real history in the books.

No, he looks silly with them.
Especially since he's now a mutant, err... an elf, or a mutant. maybe they should call him a Melfant and get it over with.

kozzi24
06-11-2004, 11:18 AM
No point in changing something that has real history in the books.

Unless you change it monthly to suit the people writing the latest letter full with moral objections. Northstar and Nightcrawler may corrupt innocent youths who read comics these days. All 3 of them.

Airhead
06-16-2004, 04:28 PM
Of course he needs his pointed ears!
It's one of the only things that ties into his past and haratage.

Richv1
08-18-2004, 08:08 PM
I voted yes he looks better with them. And if he is part elf it shows that off nicely.

nicki
02-26-2005, 08:41 AM
i really like the look of JP in the issue in Uncanny x-men 414/415. He looked very sexxxxxxxxxxy. :lol:Blue Eyes.

Ben
02-26-2005, 09:45 AM
HI Nicki! Welcome! Nice to see a new international face. Feel free to raise the German flag over the cupboard, it's starting to look like the United Nations :)

I can't comment on the sexy part, but I can tell you that officially speaking, his eyes are blue, seems the just don't always get coloured that way.

Ben

cmdrkoenig67
02-26-2005, 12:49 PM
Pointed ears on both Northstar AND Aurora are a must. Over at Weapon X Aurora's ears have kinda been pointed but not so pronounced.

As for the hair issue - it's always been a bit confusing to me. Black, white, silver... I know that the twins are meant to have white and black hair, but Aurora is constantly drawn with black hair with no hint of any other colour. I can't imagine her with silver hair. I think they should just go back to giving them both black hair with white for definition.

Saying that the silver hair looks okay on NS, but if they are twins they should have the same hair colour.

Quicksilver and magneto have silver hair....Aurora and Northstar are supposed to have BLACK HAIR. I don't know why most artists fail to achieve this...they need to do their research.

Every marvel handbook states this and even John Byrne himself has said it. If you notice Byrne's drawings....in every pic of the twins, they have mostly black hair(just without the blue coloring that most characters have)with white highlights, even in their very first appearance...He once stated that he didn't want the blue highlights, because not every one with black hair has blue-black hair(like Mac, Shaman and Talisman). He wanted them to be different.

Dana

Richv1
02-26-2005, 07:22 PM
So how many people have read Wolverine # 25? I guess it doesn't matter any more about his ears when hes dead. Did you see Wolverine thrust his claws through Northstar's chest.

Le Messor
02-27-2005, 12:53 AM
Pointed, of course.

Twenty years ago, when AF was first released, the hair conversation made sense. About their hair, I mean.

Nowadays, I see guys and girls change their hair colour all the time - often ending up with dark hair and highlights in any colour you like; white, blonde, blue, red (both ginger and crimson), etc...
It'd also explain why they're sometimes blonde and sometimes white haired.

If there was a live-action TV series, and I controlled it, I'd portray them as natural brunettes, changing their frosting and highlights and dye-jobs to keep up with each other. Sometimes they'd be Spike, sometimes ravers.

- Le Messor
"Conversation enriches the understanding, but solitude is the soul of genius."