PDA

View Full Version : Potential Dave Ross interview.

JohnnyCanuck
07-01-2004, 02:28 AM
Got Questions? I'll try and get some answers. No guarantees of course.
I gotta know by Friday night july 2nd or the wee hours of Saturday morn' my time which is -5 GMT

ladymako71
07-01-2004, 03:05 AM
all I can think of is the standard 'what got you in the biz?' 'what about deadlines?' and the like. good luck getting the interview chance though!

Ben
07-01-2004, 12:19 PM
Groovie, Thanks JC! Good luck in talking to him :)

1). What is your overall feeling about the run you did on Alpha Flight v.1?

2). What was it like to go back and draw these characters that you han't done in so long?

Ben

kozzi24
07-18-2004, 12:40 AM
How'd it go?

JohnnyCanuck
07-21-2004, 01:21 AM
How'd it go?

The interview didn't really happen. :(

However I did get to see the photocopied pencils to issue seven and the actual pencils for a couple of pages to issue eight.
Dave has done a terrific job. I think he'd be good as a regular again.

kozzi24
07-21-2004, 12:04 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing his Alpha again. I also thought the inker was the weak part of his prior work, not his pencils.

Ben
07-21-2004, 01:09 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing his Alpha again. I also thought the inker was the weak part of his prior work, not his pencils.

I agree, I was just looking over his old stuff, and thought the same thing. I'm really looking forward to seeing his stuff all these years later, with modern colours, modern inks, and modern printing. I will however be missing Clayton's pencils.

Ben

jay042
07-21-2004, 01:32 PM
Which issues did Dave Ross pencil?

Ben
07-21-2004, 01:55 PM
35, 39, 40, 41, 42 and 44.

Major Mapleleaf Jr
07-21-2004, 04:43 PM
I didn't much care for his pencils THEN, but I'm sure he's improved/streamlined his style in the interim years. I'm sure it'll be pretty darned good. :)

JohnnyCanuck
07-22-2004, 12:35 AM
I didn't much care for his pencils THEN, but I'm sure he's improved/streamlined his style in the interim years. I'm sure it'll be pretty darned good. :)

I can sympathize with your viewpoint on his work back then as I was in the same mind set. BUT ...

I actually got to see a lot of the original art of Dave's and can see his pencils clearly underneath the horrible inking job of Talaoc and I now firmly believe he did do an excellent job just the wrong man on top of him. Now i even own a couple pages of his.

Ben
07-22-2004, 12:55 AM
You bought some of his work? Nice! Was it older stuff, or new? Perhpas a you should show them off to us :)

Ben

JohnnyCanuck
07-24-2004, 04:06 AM
You bought some of his work? Nice! Was it older stuff, or new? Perhpas a you should show them off to us :)

Ben

If I only had a scanner...
Well Ben, here is a list of the Dave Ross pages I have,

AF #36 pg 17 Shaman and the Great Spirits,
AF #37 pg 12 Talisman is midwifing Snowbird w/ the Great Spirits appearing
AF #37 pg 20 Talisman is about to have her tiara torn off by Pestilance.
AF #38 pg 21 Snowbird inSquatch form, Shamn is wearing the Talisman headband , and a nice group shot . Interesting art note Dave blue pencil lines clearly show Box with those little butterfly things in the eyelids like Byrne drew 'em and the innker clearly ignored these details twice on the same page.
AF #38 pg 22 Shaman/Talisman vowing to find Pestilence, and halfsplash of Atlantean coming out of the water at Tamarind Island House
AF #39 pg 17 Captain America and a half splash of Namor

I also have also have four West Coast Avengers pages and a Punisher page. Plus as I said before con sketches of Aurora, Northstar, Box and Shaman.

As a quick little aside I also have pages from
AF # 4 pg 21, with Sue Richards, Namor, a tiny Group shot in Sue's bubble
pretty much everyone but the shredded Puck
AF #19 pg 19, with Talisman and Puck

Man, do I ramble on. Sorry folks.

Ben
07-24-2004, 06:57 PM
:cry: I have an old scanner, you want it? I'd love to see those!

Ben