PDA

View Full Version : Northstar news from SDCC

Phil
07-25-2004, 05:41 PM
Northstar will also be appearing in the pages of "New X-Men" sometime in the near future.

Thats New X-Men as in formerly New Mutants, btw ;)

Ben
07-25-2004, 06:19 PM
I would assume this appearence will be in the professorial role.

Ben

Phil
07-27-2004, 02:34 PM
Yah

PWalk
07-27-2004, 03:31 PM
An absolute waste of a fine character.

beetleblack
07-27-2004, 04:15 PM
An absolute waste of a fine character.

Agreed!

Phil
07-27-2004, 04:22 PM
I dunno about a waste...

Not having him anywhere is a waste, but I think that Nunzio and Christina will treat him with respect and do a good job with what little they're allowed to do with him.

beetleblack
07-27-2004, 04:38 PM
I think they should have one of the male youngsters have a crush on him and do a touching gay/coming out storyline... but they so won't.

kozzi24
07-27-2004, 11:33 PM
I'd rather see a young student (either gender) question his role as a former terrorist.

syvalois
07-27-2004, 11:57 PM
I'd rather see a young student (either gender) question his role as a former terrorist.

I don't think so. If they do that, they would have to have the details all right in a québécois perspective because Nortstar is Québécois...Highly improbable and more another reason to pissed off people

kozzi24
07-28-2004, 12:05 AM
I don't think so. If they do that, they would have to have the details all right in a québécois perspective because Nortstar is Québécois...Highly improbable and more another reason to pissed off people

This seems a good chance to explore Northstar aside from the gay thing, and fits the focus of the book. I have faith in those writers to do their homework, and think it might make a very relevent story in the book considering the impressionable youngsters in the title and the whole mutants as terrorists angle.

beetleblack
07-28-2004, 05:29 AM
This seems a good chance to explore Northstar aside from the gay thing, and fits the focus of the book. I have faith in those writers to do their homework, and think it might make a very relevent story in the book considering the impressionable youngsters in the title and the whole mutants as terrorists angle.

Okay, I could go for that - just anything to get Northstar SEEN and USED in a comic-book. And yeah, I kinda have faith in the writers of the series too... which probably means it'll be cancelled shortly...

Nalyd Psycho
07-28-2004, 07:55 AM
I read something about him having a squad of his own. Wonder what he'll call his. Beta Flight maybe.

As for the terrorist idea, it isn't hard to read up on the Quebecois perpective, there are more than a few books, and if they've been translated, essays and manifestos by the FLQ. The problem would be if simply no one wanted to bother. And I think high of N & C than that...

kozzi24
07-28-2004, 09:54 AM
I read something about him having a squad of his own. Wonder what he'll call his. Beta Flight maybe

Might even be a good chance to get some of Alpha's missing young'ns out of uncertain limbo and into a place where they at least have a home.
I don't know how deep the Q. perspective needs to be explored more than "it was something I believed in and still do to some extent, but have learned that the methods are as important as the goals."

PWalk
07-28-2004, 10:12 AM
I read something about him having a squad of his own. Wonder what he'll call his. Beta Flight maybe.

Now theres an idea that would rock. If your going to make him into a teacher why not bring in some of the younger Alphans to round out the roster. I'm all for that idea if it happens.

syvalois
07-28-2004, 11:02 AM
As for the terrorist idea, it isn't hard to read up on the Quebecois perpective, there are more than a few books, and if they've been translated, essays and manifestos by the FLQ. The problem would be if simply no one wanted to bother. And I think high of N & C than that...

N & C ??? What does that mean? I can understand the curiosity with the terrorist past, but I'm always very sceptic about anything been acurate or of good taste with that subject. Just little words in french are not well written, bad accent, etc, so for a long research about a event 35 years ago that would make Northstar very old now for new readers (and confused them as if there was still terrorist here), I'm not sure. Documenttation can be seen, I know some but the feeling of that time in a world wide perspective got to been seen too, plus what was happening in Québec before the 60's and what it changed after, it's very complexe and it had a lot of repercussion and it's different if you are from english canada or from Québec. I don't think they have the time to do that kind of research. Maybe just a quick reference, maybe not even mention the terrorist past but just a reference that said that he learned that violence lead to nothing and discussion is better in the long run to get your idea around.

Phil
07-28-2004, 03:31 PM
N & C ??? What does that mean?

Nunzio and Christina; the writers of New X-Men (Academy X)

Major Mapleleaf Jr
07-28-2004, 03:34 PM
I doubt very much that Northstar's terrorist activities are even a matter of public record. Even if the X-Men are aware of them, and I doubt that they are, it's even more unlikely that Jean-Paul or any other X-Man in the know would talk to children about it.

jay042
08-02-2004, 09:14 PM
plus, with that event now well into the past, it's hard to maintain that part of his backstory without drawing attention to continuity.

Sir John A.
08-04-2004, 01:53 AM
kozzi24 wrote:

I like this idea; it plays into very current issues.

In the last couple months there have been reports of pro-FLQ youth gangs with pipe-bombs causing vandalism.

Perhaps he could be put in charge of a similar group as part of their "community service" punishment.

Or perhaps the Jewish school fire-bombing and the vandalism at synagogs could be touched on too?

Sir John A.
08-09-2004, 04:37 AM
FYI: The published FLQ manifesto was very anti-gay; would JP have felt welcome in such an organization?

There's something to explore.

ladymako71
08-09-2004, 05:16 AM
hmmm? interesting. Actually very interesting because I live in the heart of 'Gayville USA, also known as San Francisco. And there are countless stories floating around here of gays who either desperately wanted to join the military, or did and got found out, or did and had a very rough time avoiding being found out. They could touch on that possibly?