PDA

View Full Version : List of Comics Suitable for kids?

Sir John A.
08-15-2004, 04:56 AM
One of our posters buys AF because he feels it is suitable for his kids to read and is a good way to endear them to comics.

Encouraging a new generation of comic fans is very important especially in light of what I call the "ghettoization" of comics over the last 10 years.

Here are some of my suggestions:

Teen Titans Go
Justice League Adventures
He-Man and the Masters of the Universe
Thundercats
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Ghostbusters
Duel Masters

Any others out there?

DelBubs
08-15-2004, 08:07 AM
Marvel have just released a 'Marvel Age' range of books, not sure whats involved (THe FF are in there somewhere), but they are aimed towards the younger audience. There's also two new 'Marvel Team Up/Two In One' :?: books due, one for average readers and one again aimed at the younger reader.

Sir John A.
08-15-2004, 09:52 AM
DelBubs,

I believe the Marvel Age books are "remakes" of old Stan Lee scripts with new Manga inspired artwork replacing Ditko or Kirby.

Ben
08-15-2004, 01:52 PM
I'm not really sure exactly what is involved in the Marvel Age stories, but they are advertised as being "all ages".

Ben

kozzi24
08-15-2004, 02:15 PM
I think MOST Marvel PG+ stuff is fine for kids. I can't think of anything in JMS' Amazing Spider-Man that would be bad. I think they maintain the PG "+" to keep doors open for stories that might be dicier. A year ago I would have said Avengers in fine, then there's Wasp & YJ in Vegas and Hawkeye and Wasp and perhaps too much violence already in Bendis' issue.
I say that the best thing for kids is THEIR PARENTS' ATTENTIVENESS. Mokole said (I think) that he is reading the issues WITH his kids. If they have questions or concerns, he can answer them. This may have come up with the Plodex eggs debate from #6. What is or is not appropriate for children is very subjective. Do we need the Today show putting a computer fig leaf or reporter's head in front of the groin on the Statue of David?

Guns and penises are a lot alike. Neither is bad unto themselves, but they can be used in ways that isn't appropriate for children to see. But blocking them from ever seeing a gun or nudity teaches them NOTHING.