PDA

View Full Version : A question rather than a poll...

Phil
08-17-2004, 10:58 PM
... as I want to see peoples answers for a point;

You're at home and watching tv and you start watching a film that you've either stumbled across by complete accident, or that someone's recommended, or that you just thought sounded good.

You're 20 minutes into it, and it's absolute rubbish.
It's the worst film you've ever ever ever seen in your life.
Do you watch the next 2 hours and 10 minutes?

kozzi24
08-18-2004, 12:17 AM
No

Magik
08-18-2004, 01:12 AM
... as I want to see peoples answers for a point;

You're at home and watching tv and you start watching a film that you've either stumbled across by complete accident, or that someone's recommended, or that you just thought sounded good.

You're 20 minutes into it, and it's absolute rubbish.
It's the worst film you've ever ever ever seen in your life.
Do you watch the next 2 hours and 10 minutes?

Can't speak for anyone else, but I would under most circumstances. :) It really couldn't hurt to watch the rest. It's on television, so it's not like it's gonna cost me a cent to finish watching it.. The only thing I'd be losing is a bit of time, and I can live with that.

Actually, come to think of it, even if I were paying to watch, I'd continue, or else it'd be a waste of hard earned money.

Besides, how am I supposed to accurately judge a movie if I haven't seen it through to the end? I couldn't say it sucked, because it might get better somewhere in the middle. (Like a song.. I've listened to many a song where the first thirty or so seconds are torture, but the rest is fantastic.)

If it were, for instance, a mini-series on Pay Per View or something, (Do they even show mini-series' on PPV? Hmm..) that would be different.. It'd be costing me to watch the rest of what could turn out to be one really crappy mini-series.. Of course that, and regular television series are a whole 'nother can of worms..

In the end, twenty minutes isn't long enough for me to judge a film on.. So, in answer to your original question, I'd say, 'Yes.' :) (But then.. I'm a soap fan. I'm used to ups and downs in the quality of what I watch. :lol:)

~ Magik

Sir John A.
08-18-2004, 03:24 AM
Normally, no.

However, if I were a fan of the director or genre I would sit through the movie in order to learn more and to be able to compare and comment on it.

For example, I like Tarintino movies but hated "Jackie Brown"; I stuck through the whole movie though because I'm a fan of the director.

beetleblack
08-18-2004, 06:54 AM
No, if I was at the cinema watching a film I wouldn't walk out because I had paid good money to see it but if I was watching a film on television and it was bad I wouldn't think twice about switching it off.

DelBubs
08-18-2004, 08:23 AM
I guess I'm with Beetleback on this one. At a cinema, I'd stick it out to the bitter end, but on the box, it's so easy nowadays to find nujmerous other stuff. Doing shift work, my time at home has to actually have a purpose, otherwise my life becomes to work orientated. So I guess I would hunt about for somthing that would gee me up.

kozzi24
08-18-2004, 08:34 AM
Yeah, Beetle's point is good, that in a cinema, I wouldn't walk out, but that may also be due to the fact that chances are, I would be with someone who might be liking it. I do tend to be a bit narcoleptic if neither physically nor mentally engaged though, so I'd probably be napping.

Phil
08-18-2004, 10:00 AM
No no, not at a thatre/cinema.
At home.

Richv1
08-18-2004, 08:04 PM
I would change the channel and put on a sit-com and watch a little of it as I read a comc book.

kozzi24
08-19-2004, 12:26 AM
At home is a definite no.