PDA

View Full Version : Fire phasers! oops, I mean solicit #9

Mokole
08-18-2004, 01:45 AM
ALPHA FLIGHT #9
Written by SCOTT LOBDELL
Pencils & Cover by CLAYTON HENRY
"DAYS OF FUTURE PRESENT, PAST PARTICIPLE" PART 1 (OF 4)
Continuing the Marvel tradition of classic time-traveling stories!
Former Alpha Flight ally Flashback comes begging our heroes to
time-jump to the past and stop his future self from dying in an attack that involves the original Alpha Flight, and er...Omega Flight. Huh--?
What?! Exactly!
32 PGS./ MARVEL PSR …$2.99

This had to happen, Flashback trying to get his neck saved before he gets yanked back to West Edmonton Mall! Maybe this is where Zuzha's powers will come to the fore!

Ben
08-18-2004, 02:52 AM
Now this sounds like a GREAT story! I can't wait for this!

Ben

maniac mike
08-18-2004, 03:33 AM
:shock: YES! YES! YES! =P~

MM =D>

Ben
08-18-2004, 03:39 AM
I can't wait for Clayton's pencils of that scene of Jeffries with the car-bot...with old school Wild Child, Lil et all...SWEEEEEET!

Ben

Magik
08-18-2004, 04:46 AM
What a great idea for a story. :D With a nod to past history, even! (I'm a sucker for those.)

What I'm dying to know is if they're traveling to the actual 616 Marvel past, or if they're going to miss their mark, and end up in an entirely different reality.. Like Kate in the original DOFP storyline..

~ Magik

beetleblack
08-18-2004, 06:59 AM
This sounds pretty cool - I also really like the fact that storylines aren't being dragged out for 6 issues one after the other. 6 issue story arcs are fine, but most of the time they are not nessecary and 6 issues is like half a year!

DelBubs
08-18-2004, 08:15 AM
Now this is worth waiting for. A tie to the past. Will be interesting to see how the original Alpha react to seeing Walt as Sas, or will they mis-interpret his appearence as a return of Tanaraq. All that and Big Hero Six too.

kozzi24
08-18-2004, 08:39 AM
Sounds like a great concept. Looking forward to that one.

Phil
08-18-2004, 09:57 AM
What's this... 7 posts in and no negative comments... am I in the right reality? :shock:

Nicely done Scott, I'm sure I shall enjoy this. :wink:

PWalk
08-18-2004, 12:53 PM
Sounds promising enough. And 6-issue arcs certainly keep the series going. But what I want is one of those 100 issue arcs.

Sir John A.
08-18-2004, 05:19 PM
....keeping fingers crossed.....

Syd
08-18-2004, 05:21 PM
Yup, yup...thats more like it! I'm possibly one of the only members of the bring Diamond Lil back - fan clubs. I loved Lil back in the old days and always thought she was top shelf AF material.

Bring it on mofo! ;)

mvranas
08-19-2004, 12:39 AM
Hey, sounds good! Definitely a step in the right direction. I've always liked Flashback, so I just hope the story's done well.

I'm not really a fanfic person, but ever since I read that issue (27, I think?) I've had this great premise for a single issue story featuring Flashback (a filler-type issue - kind of like how Marvel used to do, kept in the drawer in case the regular art team needed a breather). It ends tragically, but I thought it would make a good character-driven tale. I hope to flesh it out further someday.

I'm possibly one of the only members of the bring Diamond Lil back - fan clubs. I loved Lil back in the old days and always thought she was top shelf AF material.
I'll agree, Sid, I liked Lil better back in the early days. She's had some moments since then, but not too many writers were able to use her well. I always thought "80's rocker chick"!

-Mike

ladymako71
08-19-2004, 04:27 AM
Oh now this is gonna be good! Also isn't this the issue where there's supposed to be a 'surprise' engagement? november isn't close enough...

kozzi24
08-19-2004, 11:11 AM
I liked Lil better back in the early days. She's had some moments since then, but not too many writers were able to use her well. I always thought "80's rocker chick"!
Presumably her hair was long because it was also near-indestructable. Didn't she use a strand as a garrote (sp) once?

DelBubs
08-19-2004, 11:20 AM
Can't remember it verbatim, but I believe in the first fight between AF and OF in Issue #12, she used a strand of her hair to try and cut Snowbirds throat. Snowbird says somthing along the lines of "No, I cannot bleed!" and Lil makes a comment about "why, is it in the super hero handbook" or somthing like that.

Ben
08-19-2004, 11:51 AM
Can't remember it verbatim, but I believe in the first fight between AF and OF in Issue #12, she used a strand of her hair to try and cut Snowbirds throat. Snowbird says somthing along the lines of "No, I cannot bleed!" and Lil makes a comment about "why, is it in the super hero handbook" or somthing like that.

Byrne put a really interesting twist on that with his indestructable character in Next Men. Her hair could not be cut. Because of how fine her hair was, if it has no give it was like razor blades. A guy tried to rape her if I remember correctly and grabbed her hair and had his finger cut off...or some such thing.

Ben

kozzi24
08-19-2004, 12:41 PM
"No, I cannot bleed!"
This was never followed up on, was it?

PWalk
08-19-2004, 02:20 PM
"No, I cannot bleed!"

I don't believe it was. And to be honest I had completely forgotten about her saying that.

mvranas
08-21-2004, 03:47 PM
ALPHA FLIGHT #9
Written by SCOTT LOBDELL
Pencils & Cover by CLAYTON HENRY
"DAYS OF FUTURE PRESENT, PAST PARTICIPLE" PART 1 (OF 4)
Continuing the Marvel tradition of classic time-traveling stories!
Former Alpha Flight ally Flashback comes begging our heroes to
time-jump to the past and stop his future self from dying in an attack that involves the original Alpha Flight, and er...Omega Flight. Huh--?
What?! Exactly!
32 PGS./ MARVEL PSR …$2.99

Here's the cover, linked from Comics Continuum (http://www.comicscontinuum.com):

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0408/21/alphaflight9.jpg

Cheers,
-Mike

DelBubs
08-21-2004, 04:34 PM
That image is so familiar. It's a homage to UXM #142/43 :?: or there abouts, I believe. 'Days of Future Past' arc ?. Love the picture of MML's horse 'apprehended' :P :P

Phil
08-21-2004, 05:59 PM
That is so *censored* amazing!!!!!!

Ben, can ya tell Clayton I wanna buy it if he's selling it :lol:

Ben
08-21-2004, 06:44 PM
WOW! what an amazing cover! I think AF takes the best cover award 2 months in a row now!

Ben

Mokole
08-21-2004, 09:39 PM
Good cover. I think it will be quite a good arc heading into #13 and beyond. I wonder how much action? I bet in issue one Flashback shows up and they try to find a way back, in issue two they find that way but have to wait for Omega Flight to show up, they're too early, in three they'll try and interfere without getting found out, in issue four they'll hit upon a better plan and succeed in saving the Flashback that got stabbed, so it won't return to reality dead. {nemesis}

Phil
08-21-2004, 09:59 PM
Nah, the arc'll definitely end with #12.

Whether there are more or not depends on sales between #7 and #9....

beetleblack
08-21-2004, 10:29 PM

Byrne put a really interesting twist on that with his indestructable character in Next Men. Her hair could not be cut. Because of how fine her hair was, if it has no give it was like razor blades. A guy tried to rape her if I remember correctly and grabbed her hair and had his finger cut off...or some such thing.

Ben

I remember the Next Men and the character that you're talking about. I seem to remember that there was a certain ammount of debate in the letter column about how she was able to pull her own indestructable hair out of her own indestructable scalp!

ladymako71
08-21-2004, 11:32 PM
Damn! Now that's a cover! *is awed*

I can't wait to get me mitts on that one for sure now!

Le Messor
08-22-2004, 12:03 AM
Well, I can always be relied on for a cynical comment...

The story sounds like it could be good. In somebody else's hands.
Lobdell does not have the research skills to pull it off. Remember the mess he made of Marrina's origin?
And of Nemesis all up, if, as he claims, she's the original?
Or him calling Flashback an ally? He's never been seen as such - yes, techically he was once a Betan or Gamman, but we never saw him in that context. Only as an enemy, with Omega Flight - so why does the solicitation sound like we should be surprised about that part?

- Le Messor
"As a computer, I find your faith in technology amusing."

Canucklehead
08-22-2004, 12:27 AM
Gotta love the little extra detail in MML suit (gloves and boots). I wonder if anyone else will be getting any tweeks.

Question, is that actually Kitty Pride on the cover?

Ben
08-22-2004, 12:46 AM
That image is so familiar. It's a homage to UXM #142/43 :?: or there abouts, I believe. 'Days of Future Past' arc ?. Love the picture of MML's horse 'apprehended' :P :P

here's a scan I found of the original if anyone wants to compare:

http://www.avalon.net/~daydream/backish/graphics/uxmen141.jpg

Ben

birdygirl
08-22-2004, 09:24 AM
Perhaps I shouldn't judge a book by its cover :lol: but this looks like it could be a step in the right direction! I'm hoping that it will be a good action story, and a chance to see our old favorites and new heroes in action together! :) Flashback was a fascinating and, IMO, underused character.

Loved the cover homage to the classic X-men story, "Days of Future Past". This can also explain what had happened to our favorite Canadian heroes in the bleak future shown during the X-Men story. Can't wait to see this new AF issue! :D

varo
08-22-2004, 09:58 AM
who's the girl on the af cover mmj is protecting?

Phil
08-22-2004, 10:04 AM
Appears to be Kitty Pryde in one of her Sprite/Aerial costumes....

Ottawa Renegade
08-22-2004, 05:06 PM
I like the looks of this too. I was reading reviews recently when a lot of people said they were jumping off after #4, and I've seen the sales figures drop elsewhere on this board. I can see this drawing attention and maybe making those who were disappointed in the early part of the series hop back on board, if they can get a couple of neat stories and covers in a row.

Phil
08-22-2004, 05:10 PM
This cover needs to be distributed evvvvvvvvvvvverywhere!

Ben
08-22-2004, 09:58 PM
This cover needs to be distributed evvvvvvvvvvvverywhere!

Think how great it would be if Marvel used this cover in promotional adds for the book! A tasty little blurb, and this pic in some of the other marvel titles could go a loooong way!

Ben

cmdrkoenig67
08-23-2004, 01:20 AM
It is a pretty good homage cover. I'll probably pick up this storyline, simply because I like Flashback(and always wondered what happened to him). It would be a nice twist if they had him actually NOT die at the story's end, but (warning...negativity ahead) they'll probably just kill him off. It will be good to see a member of the original and best Omega Flight again.

Dana

Phil
08-24-2004, 09:32 AM
I dunno about keeping him alive...

I'm more interested as to the reasons of why...

DMK
08-26-2004, 06:12 PM
Sigh. I really don't know if this is the way to go. First we have Scott's "homage" to Giant-Size X-Men #1 that takes up 6 issues and ends on a horribly weak note. Then three issues later we start a story that judging from the cover is gonna have something to do with Days of Future Past... only the most over-referenced X-Men storyline of all time.

I hope that it'll be good, but I just don't know. Not to mention that I'm not thrilled about bringing back Flashback, a character with the most non-sensical power set I've ever encountered. At least Byrne is getting to use the real Doom Patrol these days...

bigbloo
08-29-2004, 11:53 PM
"No, I cannot bleed!"
I don't believe it was. And to be honest I had completely forgotten about her saying that.

Wasnt there a later issue of Alpha Flight where Snowbird bleeds onto a rock and the rock kind of bubbles like acid? Maybe Birdie has corrosive blood like the Aliens?

DelBubs
08-30-2004, 10:39 AM
Hiya Bloo, that bit with Snowbird lying against the rock was around the beginning of the true origin of Sas arc. I've always assumed she was actually supporting herself after getting punished by the gods for not having taken out Tanaraq. It was at that time she realised Sas's true identity etc.

Le Messor
09-05-2004, 01:10 AM
Hiya Bloo, that bit with Snowbird lying against the rock was around the beginning of the true origin of Sas arc. I've always assumed she was actually supporting herself after getting punished by the gods for not having taken out Tanaraq. It was at that time she realised Sas's true identity etc.

... And the rock dissolving was a side effect of her parents getting mad at her for working with the Enemy. They turned the very world against her.

- Le Messor
"Assassination is the extreme form of censorship."
– GB Shaw

bigbloo
09-11-2004, 03:14 AM

... And the rock dissolving was a side effect of her parents getting mad at her for working with the Enemy. They turned the very world against her.

Turned the world against her. *shudder* Now you see this is why you should never have relatives who are gods. I hope Doug Thompson gets along with his inlaws. :)