View Full Version : You Gotta Be Kidding Me TPB

Phil
08-18-2004, 10:38 AM
ALPHA FLIGHT VOL. 1: YOU GOTTA BE
KIDDIN' ME TPB
Written by SCOTT LOBDELL
Pencils & Cover by
CLAYTON HENRY
Bigger than Gretsky! Stranger than Strange Brew! The explosive premiere of an all-new, all-different Alpha Flight! The Canadian superteam that's given the Uncanny X-Men a run for their money returns in a shocking new series that will be the talk of Manitoba. Be sure not to miss the beginning of a new era, eh? Collecting ALPHA FLIGHT #1-6.
144 PGS./MARVEL PSR…$14.99
UPC: 5960611430-00111
ISBN: 0-7851-1430-0

Final Order Cut-Off 10/28, (On-Sale 11/24/04)
Alpha Flight Vol. 1: You Gotta Be Kiddin' Me TPB

DelBubs
08-18-2004, 10:56 AM
ALPHA FLIGHT VOL. 1: YOU GOTTA BE
KIDDIN' ME TPB
Written by SCOTT LOBDELL
Pencils & Cover by
CLAYTON HENRY
Bigger than Gretsky! Stranger than Strange Brew! The explosive premiere of an all-new, all-different Alpha Flight! The Canadian superteam that's given the Uncanny X-Men a run for their money returns in a shocking new series that will be the talk of Manitoba. Be sure not to miss the beginning of a new era, eh? Collecting ALPHA FLIGHT #1-6.

Final Order Cut-Off 10/28, (On-Sale 11/24/04)
Alpha Flight Vol. 1: You Gotta Be Kiddin' Me TPB

Mr Solicits writer, you are in no size shape or form the least bit funny, do you realise the can of worms you are opening with this kind of bull **** :P :P

Sir John A.
08-18-2004, 05:20 PM
shocking new series that will be the talk of Manitoba

Now THAT'S funny.

mvranas
08-19-2004, 12:21 AM
Bigger than Gretsky!
Is this really how they spelled it in the solicit? That's sacrilege! :P

-Mike

kozzi24
08-19-2004, 12:44 AM
After you read that solicit, you think the writer did any kind of fact-checking?

jay042
08-31-2004, 03:55 PM
It is just a sollicit, the only fact checking is in the sales dates. Though they do ned to find someone who can come up with better copy than that.

kozzi24
09-01-2004, 01:00 AM
Then call him a proofreader or editor and fire his arse for content and errors.

syvalois
09-01-2004, 09:29 AM
Wow, I really want tobuy AF TB with that solicitation! Can it get moreannoying or what? Gretsky...right!

Le Messor
09-05-2004, 01:06 AM
We've always assumed the first issues were written to be collected as a TPB, but damn!

Am I the only one who wishes the first AF TPB (Unless you count Asgardian Wars, which is a quarter AF) was from the Byrne era, and not this latest run?

I mean, which, really, is gonna sell more people on the comic?

- Le Messor
As the anarchists say: “There’s no government like no government.”

ladymako71
09-08-2004, 12:13 AM
I kind of like the idea behind the TPB's because it's a good way to get the kiddies into the book. I tried earlier to make a comment about the solicit but the comp went wonky on me...so here goes..

Maybe Marvel needs to invest in either a full time solicit writer from abroad, or a course for their writers to go abroad and learn the cultures for themselves. ;) I cringe whenever I see NZ or Aussie represented in comic books...actually I cringe whenever I see Hawai'i too, because the mainlanders automatically assume, everyone is an Elvis fan and they wander around all day in grass skirts. =/

birdygirl
09-08-2004, 01:57 PM
I agree that we need to see the classic John Byrne run of Alpha in a TPB. What Marvel did for "The Asgardian Wars" and the "Uncanny X-Men" issues with Alpha's first appearances, they should do for the Byrne run as well.

BTW, did anyone get the paperback reprinting both issues of the "X-Men/Alpha Flight" limited series, called "The Gift"? It's still a great story, though I didn't care much for the cover they gave it. (Snowbird's expression looks dreadful, even beyond the artist's intention.) :P

Chavez
09-13-2004, 08:32 AM
This is somewhat good news for me - due to budget constraints, I don't goof around with picking up individual issues, so this is a good way to get my feet wet on the new series for me.

Ideally, though, I agree that a TPB of the first 12 of Vol 1 is LONG overdue.

kozzi24
09-24-2004, 08:19 AM
The solicits writer would be Scott Lobdell?

Ed Brubaker: Oh yeah. I’ve been having fun watching people talking about Captain America online based on little more than the solicitation copy. I wrote the solicitation for the first issue before I’d written a single word of script. I had a pitch of where I was going to go with the book, and I wrote a solicitation that I thought was so over the top and bombastic. I just wanted to write hype, and something that would make people talk and have theories and suspicions, and all of that. But I didn’t write anything that would tell you anything about the comic, actually. In fact, I’ve pledged to myself that I’m going to write solicitations for that series that will be up to the point of misleading, so that when they buy the comic, they’re surprised.

from
http://www.newsarama.com/pages/Marvel/Bru_Cap.htm

Ben
09-24-2004, 10:14 AM
I didn't even notice that in the Nov. solicits the TPB was there. They used the cover image from #4. Interestingly enough, this image was one that was not included in the solicits for the actual image, except a little copy in the Marvel Previews mag.

http://www.comixfan.com/xfan/images/previews/1104/ALPHAF_vol_1.jpg

Spelling Mistake still intact :roll:

ALPHA FLIGHT VOL. 1: YOU GOTTA BE KIDDIN' ME TPB
Written By Scott Lobdell
Pencils & Cover By Clayton Henry

Bigger than Gretsky! Stranger than Strange Brew! The explosive premiere of an all-new, all-different Alpha Flight! The Canadian superteam that's given the Uncanny X-Men a run for their money returns in a shocking new series that will be the talk of Manitoba. Be sure not to miss the beginning of a new era, eh? Collecting Alpha Flight #1-6.

Phil
09-24-2004, 05:05 PM
The solicits writer would be Scott Lobdell?

Ed Brubaker: Oh yeah. I’ve been having fun watching people talking about Captain America online based on little more than the solicitation copy. I wrote the solicitation for the first issue before I’d written a single word of script. I had a pitch of where I was going to go with the book, and I wrote a solicitation that I thought was so over the top and bombastic. I just wanted to write hype, and something that would make people talk and have theories and suspicions, and all of that. But I didn’t write anything that would tell you anything about the comic, actually. In fact, I’ve pledged to myself that I’m going to write solicitations for that series that will be up to the point of misleading, so that when they buy the comic, they’re surprised.

from
http://www.newsarama.com/pages/Marvel/Bru_Cap.htm

Maybe it's a new thing, maybe it just applies to the Avengers Dissassembled thing, but I'm pretty sure Scott said he didn't write the solicits (I may be wrong on that so feel free to mock me etc if it turns out untrue) and I know that other writers I speak to (Such as Frank Tieri) have had no say in the writing of their solicits.

Phil
09-24-2004, 07:16 PM
ID's have been changed to keep privacy, everything else is a complete transcript.

PT: Speaking of which, can you confirm or deny something or us?
SL: What's that?
PT: Do you write the solicitations for the issues/the TPB that appear in Previews?
SL: No, or they would be a LOT more informative than they are!!!

:D

DelBubs
09-24-2004, 08:24 PM
ID's have been changed to keep privacy, everything else is a complete transcript.

PT: Speaking of which, can you confirm or deny something or us?
SL: What's that?
PT: Do you write the solicitations for the issues/the TPB that appear in Previews?
SL: No, or they would be a LOT more informative than they are!!!

:D
Phil Tufnell and Sister Lucrecia from the local convent school know sod all about comic solicitations. It's a falsehood wrapped within a banjo case imho.

ladymako71
09-25-2004, 12:39 AM
Seriously...I mean aren't nuns usually opposed to comic books because of all the boobs hanging out all over the place? sheesh. ^^

DelBubs
09-25-2004, 07:31 AM
Seriously...I mean aren't nuns usually opposed to comic books because of all the boobs hanging out all over the place? sheesh. ^^
Sorry Jo, but I fail to see the connection, how can a Nun wandering around all day with her boobs hanging out (a bad HABIT to get into too (*groan*)) affect how she feels about comic books?