PDA

View Full Version : Northstar's group

Mokole
08-20-2004, 09:05 PM
I just read this over at Boardhost, maybe it was mentioned here but I missed it.

Since Cyclops has a group called New Mutants and Emma Frost's team is called the Hellions, Northstar has his own student group to lead as part of their mutant games, Alpha Squadron. One member is Victor (is that a name or codename??). In future issues of New X-Men his full Squadron should be introduced.

Even though Northstar's team is called Alpha Squadron it seems unlikely that any ex-Afers (Ghost Girl, Flex) would be in it, or anyone with ties to AF (say Windshear's daughter), or even any Canadians. Tied to Alpha Flight only by name, in homage I guess. Though it would be nice to see Ghost Girl there, or a Canadian (beyond Fish Boy) with cool powers.

Sir John A.
08-20-2004, 09:51 PM
Cool!

Maybe Wolverine's "daughter" from NYX could be in the Alpha Squad?

Canucklehead
08-20-2004, 10:31 PM
Wolverine has a "daughter"? It'd be cool if she and his "son" flex could be on the same team. Speaking of siblings, any word on Radius? Or is he gonna remain dead? Seems like a waste to me. I always liked the jerk.

D.

kozzi24
08-20-2004, 11:34 PM
Can't miss Radius. However, from that same story arc, the death of Darkstar was a total waste!

Windshear has a daughter?

Mokole
08-21-2004, 12:31 AM
Windshear has a daughter?

No, I'm just picking a name out of a hat. Who knew Puck had kids :wink:

Wolverine has a daughter?

If an Alpha Flighter was to be in Alpha Squadron I'd hope for Flinch and Ghost Girl over Flex and Ouija. Not Murmur IMHO.

ladymako71
08-21-2004, 01:48 AM
So it looks like JP's going to be taking a more important roll on in the X Academy title then? Interesting.

Victor is the kid's name, he sort of looks like a pint sized Savage from Wildstorm, green with a fin thing on his head.

Sir John A.
08-21-2004, 04:42 AM
Wolverine has a "daughter"?

There is a character that in NYX that people speculate is his daughter. She was involved with Weapon X some how and has two bone claws on each hand.

Mokole
08-21-2004, 04:49 PM
Wolverine has a "daughter"?

There is a character that in NYX that people speculate is his daughter. She was involved with Weapon X some how and has two bone claws on each hand.

Ah, X-23, the kid worked on to get Logan's mutant abilities by genetic experimentation, then the claws.

Alpha Squadron could have a Canadian, I suppose. Thanks for saying what Victor looks like.

Phil
08-21-2004, 05:57 PM
X-23's going to be appearing in Uncanny, and then her own series, so New-X is unlikely.

Has JP actually appeared in the pages yet, anyone?

beetleblack
08-21-2004, 07:34 PM
Up to issue #3 no.

I have to say that I'm not exactly impressed by the new new X-Men at this stage, the story seems to be moving at a snail pace and none of the characters seem to have personalities anymore - possibly because there are too many - which is a shame because the writers made great effort with the series when it was New Mutants. Shame TPTB couldn't leave well alone.

Phil
08-21-2004, 07:38 PM
Yeah, #1 did absolutely nothing for me.

Green's artwork didn't help, but fill in's from Staz Johnson before Michael Ryan comes on as regular artist could be tempting...

beetleblack
08-21-2004, 07:51 PM
I could forgive issue #1 sucking mainly because it was trying to introduce the characters to a new audience, but since then nothing has really happened and all the main characters seem to be being pushed further and further away into teh background. I'm beginning to wonder why some of the characters are there at all, I'm sure they seemed like a good idea at the time but it's as if the writers have gotten bored with them already (or have been told to bland them down by TPTB to fit into the new book?).

I can also see the whole Noriko and Sooraya culture clash stuff getting very boring very quickly - and that's only after two slight run ins. Aside from the fact that neither characters have yet been explored enough for us to really care (even when Morrison introduced Sooraya in his X-Men run she didn't exactly do a lot or get much in regard to development).

kozzi24
08-22-2004, 10:47 AM
I've been liking New X. Ensemble cast, and has been balanced.
And no Wolverine.

maniac mike
10-28-2004, 05:36 PM
Hey all, just got X-men # 163 today and guess who makes an appearence in the book? :P

Now all we need is to see him and Gambit have a convesation in French. :wink:

Also, here's an interesting tidbit about Northstar & Alpha Flight #106 too.

http://newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20428

MM

seroquel
10-28-2004, 08:29 PM
so the spoilers are true. wow i actually have a reason to look forward to xmen .

totally OT but dang the new revamp was so pointless. the books are less interesting! how is that possible. the new coloring on uxm has been good. that is a pos.

now back to my scheduled rolling on the floor and squealing. :D

(what can i say my twin love has no bounds, well a few)

PWalk
10-29-2004, 11:25 AM
I only go into comic shops now for AF so I had no clue they relaunched X-Men with an all new cast.

Tis a shame.

Alpha Squadron? They name stinks. I would have just gone with Beta Flight. These are students right?

rplass
03-05-2005, 09:32 PM
Ooooh! Northstar finally appears in New X-Men: Academy X. Look for a cameo in issue #10 on p14 where he is seated at the dais during the awards ceremony behind Cyclops. Obviously New X-Men: Academy X occurs before the unfortunate events of Wolverine (3rd series) #25.

Does anyone know if he appeared in any other issues of that title run? I didn't see him in any of the other issues, but I might be wrong.

Love,
rplass

Phil
03-06-2005, 07:15 AM
That's it so far, but there's going to be a whole issue devoted to his funeral/passing.

rplass
03-06-2005, 10:35 AM
Well that's odd, for two reasons:
1) If you and I are correct, then Northstar never even appears in the run of that title except for the top of his head in 1 issue, which was published in the same month as SNIKT! (http://www.alphaflight.net/character_galleries/northstar/northstar_gallery23.jpg) :cry: So let me get this - devote an issue to mourning a character that appeared in 1 single panel once in one issue just immediate to his own death?

2) It has been alleged that the shadowy figure looming over Wolverine on the cover of the upcoming Wolverine #28 is Northstar. So he's coming back to life in Wolverine #28, publication date May 2005, and being simultaneously mourned in New X-Men: Academy X #13, also to be published in May 2005?

I find all of this very odd. Yes, very very odd. Hmm...

Love,
rplass

HappyCanuck
03-06-2005, 01:47 PM
It hasn't been proven that that IS Northstar on the cover of 28 - just conjecture. He may prove to be someone else (tho I'm still hopeful it IS JP)

Mokole
03-06-2005, 08:00 PM
Which once again makes me wonder if they'll name Alpha Squadron and give some info on those characters. Methinks not, it'll be an idea already on the trash heap, along with that lizard guy who was shown, once.

But I troll for Canadian characters in it, so that's the only reason I care. :?

seroquel
03-08-2005, 07:51 PM
I also was wondering about that too, rplass. that sort of seems like a bad sign to me. sigh. also it seems really cheap to make a death issue for a character they never bothered to show (though I know the writers wanted to go there and marvel wouldn't let them). its hard to have actual emotional impact when it is so out of sync with the rest of the series.

rplass
03-08-2005, 09:17 PM
From the solicits from Wolverine #26: "As the X-Men mourn their fallen team-mate in a funeral befitting a hero..." It is possible that all of the teachers at the Academy are going to be busy doing funeral stuff... so maybe the New X-men kiddie-poos are just caught up in the whole funeral thing for a few issues. I wouldn't be surprised if the funeral and/or the mourning of JP crosses into some of the other countless X-books.

I also wonder if Kitty will suffer from the guilt of allowing Logan to pass through her phased body. She could have saved JP's life if she had either taken the brunt of the attack or managed to block Logan to give JP a split-second to fly away really fast. Can she control her phasing or does anything just phase right through her that is moving into her path? If she can control it, then she made a choice to save herself and let JP die.

Love,
rplass

cmdrkoenig67
03-08-2005, 09:39 PM
All I can say is....AF better be at the funeral(or at least, Sasquatch....since the others may be in space still...or whatever...sheesh :roll: ).

Dana

HappyCanuck
03-09-2005, 12:22 AM
Can she control her phasing or does anything just phase right through her that is moving into her path? If she can control it, then she made a choice to save herself and let JP die.

Kitty's natural state is intangible, but she can control it. when startled, tho, she reverts to her natural state, and given that Logan sure as hell startled her by jumping at her as he did, safe bet it was a defense reaction.

syvalois
03-09-2005, 09:55 AM
All I can say is....AF better be at the funeral(or at least, Sasquatch....since the others may be in space still...or whatever...sheesh :roll: ).

Dana

And they are going to bury JP at the mansion? I wonder if it's what he would like or he just don't care. Well, being dead, he probably don't care :wink: