PDA

View Full Version : Some People Need A Life.

DelBubs
08-30-2004, 10:08 AM
Ganjaman Article (http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/preview.php?image=litg/canabis_newspaper.jpg)

It's a bloody comic and has 'Ganjaman' festooned across the front, it's a laugh and Jim Stewart is a well pucker geezer. Some peope need to take a serious look at themselves if they find this offensive or dangerous.

Thought I'd chuck a picture in.
http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/ganjaman.jpg

Phil
08-30-2004, 03:53 PM
Any publicity is good publicity :lol:

Gwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan Jim lad.

DelBubs
08-30-2004, 05:21 PM
I'm chufed that Jims getting the publicity and GanjaMan #1 is a very funny read. My beef is with the saddo Anti-Drug types getting all out of their tree's cos of it. I wish they'd **** off back to Greenham Common and haras the Airmen :-)

kozzi24
08-31-2004, 12:14 AM
Gaille McCann needs to:
raise her own children to the best of her ability
let others raise their children as they see fit
get into the 21st century and realize comics aren't just for kids anymore
get that stick out of her butt
and maybe smoke a bomb to relax a bit!

DelBubs
08-31-2004, 09:44 AM
Beautifully put Kozzi. Glasgow, like any big city has a drug problem. New York isn't exactly crime free, yet no one is getting emotional about the proliferation of crime fighter in comics, who live there.

Le Messor
09-05-2004, 01:03 AM
... um, Del, the proliferation of crime-fighters in New York aren't poster-boys for the pro-drug set.

- Le Messor
"As the trials of life continue to take their toll, remember that there is always a future in Computer Maintenance."

DelBubs
09-05-2004, 08:52 AM
Maybe I should clarify a bit Mick. The point I was trying to get across was that no one gets out of there tree when a comic costumed vigilante attacks crime in New York, so I can't see why this silly woman is getting so out of shape over a hero called GanjaMan.

Highlighting any social problem in comics, whether in a humorous way like Ganjaman or semi serious way like Spiderman/Daredevil etc doesn't in my mind exacerbate the problem. A point in case would be a recent event where a young lad was sentenced to life for killing another. There was accusations that because he had played a video game called Manhunt he had been influenced to commit his crime. Now if every kid who had played this game had commited a similar crime then the accusations would have some credence, but to my mind the kid who commited the crime would have done so eventually regardless of the game.

Blaming any media for social ills is an easy out and frankly quite pathetic IMHO.

kozzi24
09-05-2004, 09:04 AM
Were there accusations that his parents never taught him right for wrong and/or how to control his emotions enough that he would never act on murder?
Is it illegal to spank your kid in the UK or is that just Scandanavian countries?

DelBubs
09-05-2004, 09:17 AM
It was suggested that he had a troubled childhood and found his release in video games. I'm don't think that too much blame was laid at his parents door. As for spanking, I'm not sure of the full legal standpoint, but I don't think it's totally outlawed here.

kozzi24
09-05-2004, 09:46 AM
I'm all for legistlation that requires sterility for parents who have minor children committing violent crimes.

kozzi24
09-05-2004, 09:49 AM
Any publicity is good publicity :lol:

Gwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan Jim lad.
Here in the US, the TV show Married with Children went from cult hit to mainstream success due largely in part to one woman campaigning against advertisers like Coca-Cola for advertising on such an amoral show.

Le Messor
09-12-2004, 12:31 AM
Del,

I'm undecided.
I so want to be totally on your side in this issue; that comic book and TV violence have no effect on society.
But I can't.
One comedian pointed out, rhetorically: 'Well, there's plenty of comedy on TV, as well as violence. Does that cause comedy in the streets?'
I thought for a few seconds, and my answer was yes. How many times do you hear 'And then Homer says, "Lisa, just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand'," and others like it.

And, the difference remains: When the hero is on the side of the social problem (like ganjaman supporting weed, or Manhunter supporting killing for no reason - if that's what it was about, I'd have used Grand Theft Auto, a thoroughly evil game, so fun, but it wasn't already in discussion) is hugely different to, say, Spider-Man and Daredevil fighting -against- drug lords.

Also, while I don't believe comics or video games cause these problems, I don't believe all the violence and sex and drugs we surround ourselves with in our popular culture is part of the solution. Y'know?
I could write a book on it...

Oh, wait, I did.

:wink:

It's like how sick I get of Hollywood spending all year making movies about how the secret of life is to have as much promiscuous sex as possible with multiple anonymous partners in a consequence-free environment - then at the end of the year get together at the Oscars, wearing red ribbons to say 'You should send in all your money to help fight AIDS. It keeps spreading, despite everything we've done to stop it.'

I don't think we can claim total innocence in the matter.

Then again, I think what just happened in Russia was pure coincidence, despite the Batman issue just before it, near identical.

- Mik
"Auntie Em: Hate you, hate Kansas, taking the dog. - Dorothy"