PDA

View Full Version : Look what I found!

Ben
09-02-2004, 02:16 PM
So today I was outside hanging some laundry, and I heard a squeky little sound. I looked around, and in the woods right behind the laundry line was this:
http://forum.alphaflight.net/album_pic.php?pic_id=161
She appears to be quite young, maybe 5 weeks old, and is very skinny under all that fluff. I'm guessing she had been out there for a week or more. Probably a kitten from a stray mother, born in the wild.

we are having dinner guests tonight, and if we can't find a home for her among them, I guess we'll be keeping her.

Ben

syvalois
09-02-2004, 02:39 PM
Euh, that's how she will look like wet?
http://elitemrp.net/art2/Angry%20Wet%20Cat.JPG

ladymako71
09-02-2004, 02:44 PM
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! Cute!

Looks like my old cat's bro, Bill...although hopefully she's a lot saner. ^^

Ben
09-02-2004, 02:45 PM
oops, you had multiple posts and I deleted them all in error. You asked about the term "we" That is as in me and my folks. I am living with them while I'm building my place.

Ben

ladymako71
09-02-2004, 02:46 PM
Ewww Sylvie! Mine never looked that bad when he was wet! And Head got wet on a daily basis because he actually LOVED water!

House guests were prone to freaking out in the shower when they hear a 'mew' right behind them.

Phil
09-02-2004, 02:47 PM
I'll have it, throw it in a jiffy bag and chuck it in the post...

syvalois
09-02-2004, 02:56 PM
oops, you had multiple posts and I deleted them all in error. You asked about the term "we" That is as in me and my folks. I am living with them while I'm building my place.

Ben

No problem, since you answered me, and that's why I put the wet cat to put something else than the multiply same answer. Plus, I find that wet cat very funny. And Jo, you really had a strange cat, but so am I:)

Sylvie

ladymako71
09-02-2004, 03:32 PM
Weird is an understatement! I didn't call him 'Head Case' for nothing. =p

I found him when he was about 5 weeks old under one of our hibiscus bushes. He was gun metal grey and he had a brother who was solid orange...at least we (me and me roomie, Shelby) found out what colour they were AFTER we gave them a bath to remove the mud they were caked in.

About that bath...they both decided that they absolutely LOVED water and anything wet! Head took to me and Bill (the orange one) decided he liked Shelby better...but they were both nuts, so who knows? Shelby and I found out a day later that they enjoyed their baths when we had come home from a hiking trip...covered in mud ourselves. I hit the shower first and heard this 'mew' behind me, turned to see two sopping wet kittens staring up at me and purring...

It was a smallish shower so I moved aside to let the water hit them and instead of bolting, like I thought they would, they started purring louder and playing in the water. Needless to say I was quite surprised...I was also a bit miffed because they made it kind of hard for me to finish my shower...

It didn't take Shelb and me long to figure out a way to shower and appease kitten water fetishes at the same time. Whenever one of us was in the shower, we had two tiny furry guests so we would hold them up to get wet, shampoo them if they needed it and tossed them both on one of our beach towels, that they had claimed as theirs. This went on for two more years, until Shelb moved home to Washington state and I moved back in with my parents...Head Case in tow.

Mum and Dad already knew about Head's love of water so they didn't scream or what have you, the first time either one had company in the shower. We have had house guests scream though, or shout out in surprise when they damned near tripped over Head in the bathroom.

Head's other bad habit was jumping into the bath tub with me when I wanted a nice soak. I discovered how to enjoy a cat free bath when I put natural lavender oil in the bath water. I would just have a grey hairball sitting on the toilet scowling at me instead...but no cat IN the tub with me. It worked. ^^

Head's gone now, and I only have two pictures of him. He saw a camera for the first time and damn near had a heart attack. I got the second picture by sheer luck because he was preening and looking all self important. =p I swear the little bastard knew when I had a camera with me too...he hid...every time, even if I had the camera hidden on me where he couldn't see it.

But I like to think that my little hippy cat is somewhere nice and having a ball dealing in the catnip blackmarket...he had some odd behavoirs, let me tell ya! Like tormenting the next door neighbour's dogs to no end until he got scolded to come back in the house! He would sit on the back wall, Juuuuusssssssstt out of reach of the dogs, and it drove them nuts!

kozzi24
09-03-2004, 12:54 AM
I took in Snowball last October. Kitten abandoned at about 3 weeks who took a home under a shed at my brother's, who wouldn't let his wife adopt it. My father wouldn't let my mother take it either, so she shopped it around. I said "NO!" I already have two cats, or, if you count them by net weight, three and-a-half.
She called a month later because it was a really nice kitty, all friendly. I e-mailed a tenant with the deal my mother offered: she would pay for the first round of shots and to have Snowball fixed. The tenant responded that if my mother was going to pay for the shots every year, she wouldf take him. That didn't sit too well, and he IS a really friendly kitty, so I kept him.
I have real cute kitten picture from last October 30, but I'm not sure how to place in.
here's a link to a newspaper site that displayed it. Don't know if the typo's mine or not.
http://www.projo.com/cgi-bin/slideshow/slide.pl/25/1067692727

Ben
09-03-2004, 01:01 AM
both great kitty stories! I can't believe there Head loved the water so much, I've never seen the like!

Kozzi, you can post you picture of you kitty with the Img button in the post message screen. Hit that button, put in the URL of the image, and then hit the button again. If you want to upload the the image to the forum, go to the album, then click on "my personal gallery", click the upload button, and brows to the image on your hard drive.

Ben

kozzi24
09-03-2004, 01:13 AM
guess that was easy enough
I wasn't sure what'how to type in after hitting the image button. I thought it would open a browse box, I suppose.
http://forum.alphaflight.net/album_pic.php?pic_id=162

Ben
09-03-2004, 01:32 AM
Ah there you go, you had it just linked as a url rather than embedding the image in the message. Hit the edit button on your last post and see how I changed it :)

Cute kitty...but Snowball? I'm assuming you naimed it after Lisa Simpson's cat :)

Ben

kozzi24
09-04-2004, 12:32 AM
I named him out of sarcasm for all the black cats named Midnight, Blacky, Smokey and Spooky. How trite. I always tyry to talk him up to people before they see him just to get that shocked look. Luckily they have to believe me because he does answer to Snowball.

kozzi24
09-04-2004, 12:50 AM
let's try the imbed with the two older cats, Pepper and PITA. Pepper, a stray I took in eight years ago this Halloween, answers to "Fats."
PITA turns eighteen this October and is still going strong, except when it rains, then he's a bit arthiritic.
http://forum.alphaflight.net/album_pic.php?pic_id=163

birdygirl
09-04-2004, 09:34 AM
I love all these cat stories! When I lived with my family before I got married, we had several cats, all of them "strays".

Luke, our first cat, a black-and-white, was given to us as a kitten by a neighbor for my brother Jack's birthday.

Mike, a gray tiger-stripe, was found as a kitten at a nearby carnival. He was given to us after our first cat, Luke, passed on.

Max, our black cat, was abandoned outside the Museum of Natural History in New York. My father, an artist there, heard that they had a cat in the mailroom, and were trying to find a home for him. He brought Max home, and the rest is history.

Mary, our other black-and-white cat, was given to a friend of my brother's who couldn't keep her. She ultimately went through about five homes before she came to live with us.

Masha, a gray-and-white cat, just showed up in our neighborhood one day. She saw our cats jumping up on our living-room windowsill in order to be let in, so she matter-of-factly started doing the same thing herself. (SHE adopted US!) As soon as we saw she was pregnant, we took her in. She had five kittens in our garage. We found a home for one of the kittens and brought the rest to the Bide-A-Wee Home, (a no-kill shelter in New York). We had Masha fixed and kept her on as a pet.

Parker, a white with orange spots, was our last cat. I brought him home when I got off a bus one night, and two children were there trying to find a home for a stray kitten they had found. (I used to call him "Parker the Twilight Zone cat", because I had seen the movie, "The Twilight Zone" that same night before I got him.) Parker lived wih our family for fourteen years. (Most of our cats were similarly long-lived: Max lived to be fifteen --or so I estimate.)

After Parker passed away, my parents decided not to have any more cats. I'd like to have a cat now, but my husband is allergic. It's a shame, because I know my daughter would especially love to have a kitten.

Ben
09-04-2004, 11:46 AM
When I was a kid, I used to have to switch buses on my way to school, as I was in french emmersion, and had to take an hour long bus rid to get there. On my way home from school one day I was switching busses at a local highschool, and saw a little kitten sitting by the curb. I went to see if it was ok. I had a badly broken leg that was completely limp. The poor thing had obviously been hit by a car and was in really bad shape. I convinced my bus driver to let me taker her home on the bus. So I arrived home with this scruffy injured flea coverd kitten. We rushed her to the vet, and they gave us the choice of amputating the front leg, or putting her to sleep. We opted to have the leg removed. I had her for about 14 years after that. She was Boots, the three legged cat (though we just called her little cat)

Ben

kozzi24
09-04-2004, 08:45 PM
I was going out for a latenight breakfast with a friend on Halloween. As I was leaving, a cat called out to me. She was a small adult cat. So I fed her a bit, and she was hungry, so I lured her nto the foyer with dry food and shut her in there while I was gone.
I came back and she leaped out of the foyer, then turned back for more food. I lived on a main old New England style city street (across and three houses down from the house I bought) and figured the cat would be hurt overnight on Halloween, so I took her in for the night. PITA is very friendly, and was excited. After the morning feeding, I locked PITA away and opened the outside doors to get rid of the stray. She looked outside, kind of nodded her head, then hid under the couch.
I knew I had a second cat from food consumption and litter box filling, but seldom saw her. Then I moved from the efficiency to a bigger apartment in the same building, and she sat in the center of the kitchen all depressed as I moved things out. Once settled upstairs, she was suddenly a friendly cat, although obviously not small. I guess it being at the end of the month, she'd been abandoned by people moving when I found her. That was 8 Halloweens ago, and she's been a good pet up until she decided she HATES HATES HATES Snowball. She's kind of an unseen cat again now.

Le Messor
09-05-2004, 12:58 AM
I got my cat in a box on my eighteenth birthday... too long ago now to mention, but he's still around. I named him Goblyn, yes, after the AF character. Okay, wrong gender, but he's black, and it's better'n midnight or whatever.

Ooh, but on the topic of found pets, I found a frog yesterday. A white-lipped tree frog (I believe) in a box of bananas at work.

- Le Messor
As a plane landed and was coming to a stop at Washington National, a lone voice came over the loudspeaker: “Whoa, big fella. WHOA!”

Arcade
09-05-2004, 10:11 PM
Oww people finding animals :(

I've wanted a dog all my life but saying as I am not yet of the legal age to get one of my own I have not been able to. Its pretty damned hard to find stray animals, especially when you go out hunting them and try your best to make them "follow" you home.

ladymako71
09-08-2004, 12:07 AM
Half the strays around here Arcade, I wouldn't touch with a ten meter pole! But then this is California and god knows what they've got in the way of diseases or the like.

I found Head when I was living in Hawai'i and because of the sheer remoteness of the islands, there are no rabies, or distemper. And pets that are brought in from outside the islands have to spend 4 months in quarantine to make sure they're not harboring any nasties like that.

Although last night on the way to work, I nearly cashed in one cat's life as he bolted in front of me car. Thankfully I was only going 5mph or I probably wouldnt have spotted the cat until I heard 'crunch'! It was jet black and I only caught a glimps of eyes, as it dashed past. =/