View Full Version : New Warriors return

kozzi24
09-22-2004, 10:38 AM
http://newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18450

Time to cheer or cringe?

Le Messor
09-25-2004, 11:40 PM
I'm gonna cringe.
As a loyal reader, I'll pick it up, for a while, but it sounds like they've lost the spirit of the riginal.

Most of the charm, for me, was the street-level, gang-war, multicultural aspects. None of which are things I generally like or am interested in, but they worked so well in this that the New Warriors made me love them.

- Le Messor
"Be braver. You cannot cross a chasm in two small jumps."

DelBubs
09-26-2004, 07:50 AM
I'm holding judgement on this at present. Tawmis, who runs The Crashpad (http://newwarriors.com/forum/index.php) wrote to Zeb Wells about certain fan concerns, Wells replied with
======================
Just so you know, I've gotten the feeling that some people think I'm going to treat the characters as a "joke." This couldn't be further from the truth. I will be shaking things up a bit, but only in order to get the New Warriors to do what they do best...fight the villains that fly under the Avenger's or X-Men's radar. I have written humor in the past, but I believe the funniest stuff springs from interactions between well-defined characters...not slap-stick or "look how lame Speedball is" type "jokes."
======================
Other concerns are about the Skottie Young doing the art work, with people saying that his art is fine for initial impact cover work, but gets too much in sequential story telling.

Ben
09-26-2004, 01:39 PM
I too will withold judgement until I've read the book.

Ben

Phil
09-26-2004, 01:41 PM
Not knocking Leafy or anything, but I think it's pretty lame to write in anc express concerns even before the official announcement of the title, yet alone any previews.

DelBubs
09-26-2004, 08:21 PM
Not defending Leafy as such Phil, but if you read through http://forum.alphaflight.net/viewtopic.php?t=327&start=15 it was somthing Skottie Young said at Wizard con that got people worried. Then Blair whatever the gents name is at 'All The Rage' belatedly released the info and a couple of threads re that got started at a couple of forums, It was Zeb Wells who reacted more to the bad vibes than Leafy.

Leafy contacted Zeb Wells to basically plug the mailing list and forum.

Le Messor
10-02-2004, 10:37 PM
Besides, before reading the book is the best time to express concern.

To complain about it, to say you hate it - that you need to wait for, ti' after you've read it. But an expression of concern is just that - you're saying that the direction you're hearing about worries you.

Like this concern, relevant to NW and AF:
Marvel seems to love releasing new titles with words on the cover that're meant to bring in old readers. The fact that the new titles have little or nothing to do with an old one - they have none of the feel or the spirit, but maybe a couple of characters, in common - yet they label them as the old title, does not impress me. It doesn't make the new title as good as, or a worthy follow-up to, the old one. It doesn't bring back what got me reading in the first place.

That said, it -can- give me a new reason to read.

- Le Messor, always cynical
Be aggressive. Let her know you’re interested: “I’ve been wanting to go out with you since I read that stuff on the bathroom wall two years ago.”