PDA

View Full Version : #11 Solicit (+ Other appearances)

Phil
10-19-2004, 06:51 PM
ALPHA FLIGHT #11
Written by SCOTT LOBDELL
Pencils & Cover by
CLAYTON HENRY
"DAYS OF FUTURE PRESENT, PAST PARTICIPLE"
The time-spanning epic continues! Find out what would have happened if the original Alpha Flight had become American heroes! We’ll give you a hint; it rhymes with duclear folocaust!
Part 3 (of 4)
32 PGS./MARVEL PSR …$2.99
UPC: 5960605518-01111

Plus...

OFFICIAL HANDBOOK OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE:
THE WOMEN OF MARVEL 2005
Written by JEFF CHRISTIANSEN, RONALD BYRD, JONATHAN COUPER-
SMARTT, ANTHONY FLAMINI, MICHAEL HOSKIN, BILL LENTZ, SEAN
MCQUAID, ERIC J. MOREELS, MARK O'ENGLISH & STUART VANDAL
Cover by GREG LAND
Marvel’s leading ladies take center stage! This Official Handbook includes in-depth bios
on more than 40 of the House’s most powerful women warriors — from Araña to
Vindicator! Plus: an all-new cover by superstar artist Greg Land!
48 PGS./MARVEL PSR …$3.99
UPC: 5960605678-00111

PLUS

EXILES #58
Written by TONY BEDARD
Pencils & Cover by MIZUKI SAKAKIBARA
Sasquatch’s body has been possessed by the evil Tanaraq, whose only goal is to return to
his own reality and claim that world for his own. Can Blink and her teammates find a
way to rescue Sasquatch from the Beast who took her place, or is it already too late?
Stand-alone issue!
32 PGS./MARVEL PSR …$2.99
UPC: 5960605108-05811

And...

MARVEL MASTERWORKS: THE UNCANNY X-MEN VOL. 5
Written by CHRIS CLAREMONT
Pencils by JOHN BYRNE, JOHN ROMITA JR. & JOHN BUSCEMA
Cover by JOHN BYRNE
In celebration of the 25th anniversary and presented here for the first time in full-archival
color, including pages straight from the Byrne/Austin originals, the Dark Phoenix Saga!
Gathered together by Professor Charles Xavier to protect a world that fears and hates
them, the X-Men had fought many battles, been on adventures that spanned galaxies,
grappled enemies of limitless might, but none of this could prepare them for the most
shocking struggle they would ever face. One of their own members, Jean Grey, has
gained power beyond all comprehension, and that power has corrupted her absolutely!
Now they must decide if the life of the woman they cherish is worth the existence of the
entire universe!
Collecting X-Men #132-140, Annual #4 with special bonus features including the
original X-Men #137 story where Jean Grey lived “Phoenix: The Untold Story” and the
Claremont/Buscema Phoenix classic from Bizarre Adventures #27! And if that wasn’t
enough, brace yourself for a brouhaha with Wendigo and the seminal story of that furry
blue elf Nightcrawler in "Nightcrawler’s Inferno."
304 PGS./ALL AGES…$49.99
UPC: 5960611698-00111
ISBN: 0-7851-1698-2
MARVEL MASTERWORKS:
THE UNCANNY X-MEN VOL. 5 – VARIANT EDITION
304 PGS./All Ages …54.99
UPC: 5960611699-00111
ISBN: 0-7851-1699-0

and

INFINITY GAUNTLET TPB
Written by JIM STARLIN
Pencils by GEORGE PÉREZ & RON LIM
Cover by GEORGE PÉREZ
For the dark Titan, Thanos, the Infinity Gauntlet was the Holy Grail, the ultimate prize to
be coveted above all else. With it came omnipotence: the absolute control of all aspects
of time, space, power, reality, the mind and the soul. The gaining of supreme might
meant the beginning of a black nightmare for the entire universe. Now, on the edge of
Armageddon and led by the mysterious Adam Warlock, Earth’s super heroes join in a
desperate attempt to thwart this nihilistic god’s insane plunge into galactic self-
destruction. Should the heroes fail, the astral gods of the universe wait to step into the
fray. But in such an awesome cosmic conflict will anyone prevail? Will anyone survive?
256 PGS./MARVEL PSR …$24.95
UPC: 5960610892
ISBN: 0-7851-0892-0

Mokole
10-19-2004, 09:00 PM
American heroes? Now how would that work out, Hudson not moving to Canada with his cyberhelmet and forming Alpha Flight in the U.S. instead? That would mean no Puck or Shaman or Sasquatch really. Could prove very interesting!

And me without Alpha Flight #8 yet :(

DelBubs
10-19-2004, 09:01 PM
I'm gonna go for all of that except the Masterworks Edition. No way I can justify spending that kinda of money to grab a story I already have. The Infinity Gauntlet appearences are one of the stories I have missing, so I can just about convince Bubs it's worth the money.

American heroes? Now how would that work out, Hudson not moving to Canada with his cyberhelmet and forming Alpha Flight in the U.S. instead? That would mean no Puck or Shaman or Sasquatch really. Could prove very interesting!

Or it could mean that AF stayed in America after the initial fight with Omega Flight (#11-12), or not as the case may be.

PWalk
10-20-2004, 09:32 AM
#11 looks to be an interesting read, but that Exiles book looks like the winner of the month.

Tanaraq!

Canucklehead
10-20-2004, 09:34 AM

Number 8? I still can't even find number 5 yet! lol

Ottawa Renegade
10-20-2004, 08:59 PM
Aw man, what a fantastic avatar, Canuckle!

Canucklehead
10-20-2004, 09:26 PM
Hey, thanks man. It was actually inspired by your Vindicator avatar. It's been in my head for a week or so, just now got the time to do it up. Hmm, on second glance, if someone didn't know which pose it was from, his left foot could be mistaken for something else dangling. lol

D.

Ben
10-23-2004, 09:56 PM
Oh crud, not AF solicit image again :? There is an exiles one though, but it's a rather non-descript cover. The AF issue sounds awsome, as does the Exiles issue. If I had the money for the X-Men collection book, I'd consider it, but it's way out of my price range. I have all the Infinity Gauntlet books, but this would be nice to have in one book.

Ben

cmdrkoenig67
10-28-2004, 05:13 PM
"OFFICIAL HANDBOOK OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE:
THE WOMEN OF MARVEL 2005 "

Yay!!!!! Vindicator!!!!....and it would be nice if they at least included Snowbird and Aurora. Yipeee!!!

Dana

DelBubs
10-30-2004, 02:54 PM
From the glimpse of the cover I saw in Previews, it looks like AF (new team) may face of against AF old team (what a surprise),

varo
10-30-2004, 02:58 PM
scanable version?

DelBubs
10-30-2004, 03:02 PM
Totally scannable, but my scanner is hooked up to the other PC, which doesn't have an Internet connection and no floppy drive to transfer the image over. However I would expect either Ben or Phil to come up with a pic in the not too far distant future.

cmdrkoenig67
10-30-2004, 03:06 PM
From the glimpse of the cover I saw in Previews, it looks like AF (new team) may face of against AF old team (what a surprise),

Again?....already? Oh wait...this will be the first time :wink:

Dana

Phil
10-31-2004, 03:38 AM
http://forum.alphaflight.net/album_pic.php?pic_id=199

I'm trying to remember the homage, but can't quite place it at the moment...

varo
10-31-2004, 09:28 AM
kool.

i know there was alot of avengers and jla covers to the same effect but can't put my finger on a old x-men one.

kozzi24
10-31-2004, 09:59 AM
I miss covers like this in general, with all the pin-up covers nowadays.

DelBubs
10-31-2004, 10:25 AM
When I first saw this I was reminded of the Uncanny X-Men cover in which a government controlled AF go after Wolvie yet again. I can't remeber the number, but it might be around #355 ish, set during AF vol 2.
http://www.alphaflight.net/cover_gallery/uncannyx-men_355.jpg

Then again, maybe not :-)

HappyCanuck
10-31-2004, 04:05 PM
I'm trying to remember the homage, but can't quite place it at the moment...

The closest homage I can remember is from AF's appearance on the cover of Uncanny X-Men 355 (which showed AFv.2.8 from the teams' perspectives). Other than that, no clue.

EDIT:

Del, I hate it when you do that...

kozzi24
10-31-2004, 04:49 PM
Maybe a syandard team vs team desogn rather than a homage? I think of the Avengers West issue with Mantis in the middle (tearing the logo?)

varo
10-31-2004, 05:56 PM
i honestly do not remember that cover.

DelBubs
10-31-2004, 07:31 PM
Unfortunately, I remember both the cover and the story arc ](*,)

Mokole
11-01-2004, 12:17 AM
I agree, pinups are terrible. It's like seeing a commercial for Law & Order with pics of gang bangers then seeing the show and having it about a department story robbery gone wrong. Pinup covers really turned me off X-Men books, I'd see the cover and think, "I should read it if I think I should buy it." Which of course bookstore owners hate {nemesis}

I'd put 5 out of 8 covers so far for AF having any purpose. #8 didn't, Sasquatch in the snow, #7 didn't, windy Sasquatch, #5 didn't, flying Thunder etc. The rest all were somehow relevant to the story, especially after you read it.

Odd too how the cover shots have gone; counting to #11 Sasquatch will be on every cover, 3 solo, nobody else solo (well, duh), Byrne AF makes 2 appearances. Then it's Zuzha 8, Yukon Jack 7, and the other 3 appear 6 times. I'm counting the back shots on #9 too here. Thunder makes 2 appeances I think. Guess that makes Sasquatch and Zuzha the most highly paid, eh :wink:

Phil
11-06-2004, 04:47 PM
Found it (with the help of a certain VIP):

http://image2.milehighcomics.com/istore/images/large/97792366288.100.gif

Mokole
11-06-2004, 07:13 PM
I don't think the cover is much of an homage to anything. After all, unless the two sides are fighting it's always one on one each side.

DelBubs
11-06-2004, 08:38 PM
Found it (with the help of a certain VIP):

http://image2.milehighcomics.com/istore/images/large/97792366288.100.gif
You got a good eye Phil.

kozzi24
11-06-2004, 11:55 PM
I don't think its a homage at all (there's no "after" credit) but a style of cover. Here's two more:
http://forum.alphaflight.net/album_pic.php?pic_id=205
and
http://forum.alphaflight.net/album_pic.php?pic_id=203[/img]

Ben
11-07-2004, 12:01 AM
Well, considering the other two covers so far for this arc have been an Homage to old X-Men covers, and not to mention that the VIP Phil refers to is Scott Lobdell, I think it's a pretty safe bet that he's right on this one ;)

Ben

HappyCanuck
11-07-2004, 04:06 AM
Well, considering the other two covers so far for this arc have been an Homage to old X-Men covers, and not to mention that the VIP Phil refers to is Scott Lobdell, I think it's a pretty safe bet that he's right on this one ;)

Ben

Well, if that's the sourse, then yeah, there is a really good chance that Phil's right....

kozzi24
11-07-2004, 11:07 AM
The AWC cover seems derived from XMqoo cover too.
This leaves the big question, will the cover represent what's in the book, or be another homage to the X-Men even though this book is Alpha Flight?

kozzi24
11-07-2004, 11:25 AM
I'm probably being nit-picky, but these are examples of homages rather than style:
http://forum.alphaflight.net/album_pic.php?pic_id=209
of
http://forum.alphaflight.net/album_pic.php?pic_id=208
and
http://forum.alphaflight.net/album_pic.php?pic_id=206
of
http://forum.alphaflight.net/album_pic.php?pic_id=207

Le Messor
11-13-2004, 10:04 PM
I'm with Phil - I got X-Men #100 as soon as I saw that cover. Not to mention, unlike some of the other similar covers, it's two versions of the same team fighting, not two teams fighting.

It's not un-good, but somebody should reming Lobdell that ANADX didn't get to be so great by keeping itself deliberately in the shadow of another series.

- Le Messor
"Bertha Belch, a missionary from Africa will be speaking tonight at Calvary Memorial Church in Racine. Come tonight and hear Bertha Belch all the way from Africa."
- church bulletin