S
P
A
C
E
http://www.alphaflight.net/reviews/af3_10_review_1.jpg[/img:5d12d868db]

Writer: Scott Lobdell
Artist: Clayton Henry
Story: "DAYS OF FUTURE PRESENT, PAST PARTICIPLE" PART 2 OF 4)

OVERVIEW:
[img=left:5d12d868db]http://www.alphaflight.net/reviews/af3_10_review_2.jpg[/img:5d12d868db]The Canada is being invaded by Box Robots! After Major Mapleleaf traveled into the past in the last issue, serious consequences have been realized. Before getting to the action, Scott Lobdell takes a moment to formerly introduce the readers to the Plodex child that remained with the team after issue #6. The child has been named Mar, and has no sex, as it has not as of yet been genetically imprinted with one.

Into the battle we find the All New, All Different Alpha Flight in an all out battle with an army of Box robots. We see very tangible use of powers by Puck, as she slingshots herself from Box to Box with destructive force. She is hit by the blast of one of the bots, and falls. Yukon Jack runs to her aid referring to her as "wife", though she makes it clear she is not. Reacting to his "beloved" being in mortal danger, he activates his full powers for the first time any of the team had seen. The chest and shoulder pieces of bone detach, and a chain of sharp bone fragments whips through the air tearing into any Box robot in range.

The ream returns to the interior of the Plodex ship to discuss what they just experienced. Walter does some research on TV to find out what repercussions of their time traveling had caused. In this new time-line James Hudson, at the urging of Major Mapleleaf, decided not to go to New York to accept the job offer from Roxxon, and in turn did not die at the hands of Jerome Jaxon. Instead he decided to dedicate himself to teaching, cutting off all ties to Department H. Since Jaxon failed to bring Hudson to him, he altered his plans. Stealing the Box technology from Roger Bochs, he formed a small army of the powerful robots. Jaxon used those robots to defeat an "invasion" on the U.S. by Omega Flight, killing Flashback in the process. As it turned out, Jaxon was controlling the lot of Box robots himself, and the strain drove him insane, and eventually destroyed his mind. The robots however did not shut down, and continued to work toward Jaxon's agenda of revenge. The army of Boxs eventually destroyed both Canada and the U.S. In light of the these changes Centennial agreed to travel back in time to convince Hudson to go to the U.S. after all, and stop Jaxon.

[img=right:5d12d868db]http://www.alphaflight.net/reviews/af3_10_review_3.jpg[/img:5d12d868db]After being stabbed by Nemesiss' mystical blade, Rutherford enters the place between life and death. He finds himself in his own past, at his own house. Inside he finds a woman named Amelia, who he apparently had a love affair with. She reveals herself to me none other than Nemesis. He realizes the only reason she is revealing the truth of their shared past is because when all is said and done, he will not remember, as much as he may want to.

Arriving in the past, Rutherford catches up with Major Mapleleaf just after he finished speaking with Hudson. The two return to the Parliament buildings to discuss the impact of their alterations. Hudson understands that for the good of mankind, he must go to New York, and confront, and stop Jaxon, while staying alive.

Back in "real time" the battle with the Box robots has been renewed. The alterations in the timestream catch up with them, and the army of robots vanishes, being replaced by corrosive acid rain.

REVIEW:

[img=left:5d12d868db]http://www.alphaflight.net/reviews/af3_10_review_4.jpg[/img:5d12d868db]I'm really quite enjoying this issue this story arc. It has been wonderful to illustrate how much Scott Lobdell cares about Alpha Flight's past, even though this is a whole new team. So many questions were answered in this issue, it seems that he really wanted to tie up as many loose ends as possible with only 2 issues left in the series. The way we were explained who/what Mar is seemed a little forced, just having the narrator explain it rather than having the characters discover it was kind of blunt. I can understand however that there are only so many pages left in the series to tell the arc, not to mention reveal enough about the characters to answer all the questions floating around. I really like the idea of what Mar is, and has great story potential, though I don't know if we well see the child after #12.

The fight scenes were great, I loved seeing both Zuzha and Yukon Jack in action. We see now that there is no question of their powers, though the fine detains still have to be filled in. Speaking of these two, I get a real kick out of Yukon's constant references to Puck being his wife. The nice part of all this is that it shows he has a heart under his attitude. Nice interplay between the two mixed in with the action.

[img=right:5d12d868db]http://www.alphaflight.net/reviews/af3_10_review_5.jpg[/img:5d12d868db]I thought the chain of events spawned from their alterations in the time stream was very clever. I had though of all kinds of ways things could have been changed, but this was a great tie into Alpha Flight's past. I think that though Lobdell is dipping more into AF history, he's not doing it in such a way that would scare off new fans, but rather make them curious to pic up some back issues. I know it makes me want to read them yet again :)

The shared history between Nemesis and Centennial really has me curious. I'm assuming he was married, and she was his mistress, whom he truly was in love with. I don't know if there will be time enough to answer all the questions this has raised before the series is over. When he arrived in the past, and met Hudson, I got a big kick out of Mac's "all in one breath" speach. I can't wait to see how this new change has effected Alpha Flight's present time.

The story was great, the art was great as always, though the distance were lacking in detail, I get the impression this is a stylistic choice by Henry.

[img]http://www.alphaflight.net/reviews/redleaf.jpghttp://www.alphaflight.net/reviews/redleaf.jpghttp://www.alphaflight.net/reviews/redleaf.jpghttp://www.alphaflight.net/reviews/redleaf.jpghttp://www.alphaflight.net/reviews/redleaf.jpghttp://www.alphaflight.net/reviews/redleaf.jpghttp://www.alphaflight.net/reviews/redleaf.jpghttp://www.alphaflight.net/reviews/redleaf.jpghttp://www.alphaflight.net/reviews/redleaf.jpghttp://www.alphaflight.net/reviews/greyleaf.jpg

Phil
12-04-2004, 07:28 PM
So many questions were answered in this issue, it seems that he really wanted to tie up as many loose ends as possible with only 2 issues left in the series.

I'm not convinced that that's the case.
I think Scott intended the progression to be like this from the start.

I'm prone to being wrong though :D

Mokole
12-05-2004, 04:43 PM
I thought this issue was great! THe story was strung together well, the Amelia plot was intriguing, YJ and Puck did their best to use their powers to destroy the Boxes.

I bought 3 copies like I said I would, keep up the fight!

Ben
12-06-2004, 06:35 PM
So many questions were answered in this issue, it seems that he really wanted to tie up as many loose ends as possible with only 2 issues left in the series.

I'm not convinced that that's the case.
I think Scott intended the progression to be like this from the start.

I'm prone to being wrong though :D

I just felt that so much of the mysteries came out in one issue that he was feeling the pressure to wrap some things up, rather than play them out for a few more issues.

Ben

MattSD
01-13-2005, 04:54 PM
Hey folks, Its a pity that the new series started off a bit campy(in my opinion)...cause now that its too late, i think the comic is starting to hit its stride...Maybe Scott should have started with the originals, as the main group(to get the most solid following, the slowly weed out the characters he didnt really want to use and get to the group we have now...btw, I think a Nemisis mini-series would be great(and I'm no even a long time Nemesis fan)...Been pleasantly surprized with how much I've enjoyed the new Nemesis...
Cheers,
Matt

cmdrkoenig67
01-14-2005, 06:54 AM
I think a weeding out of older more established characters(characters most AF fans WANT to read about) would just cause a drop in sales and another failed series(IMO). An Alpha Flight comic without the established characters is a formula for failure....it's been shown to be so, twice now.

Dana

MattSD
01-14-2005, 04:49 PM
I agree that the originals are the only way for succeed long term in sales, but I was just saying that if Scott wanted to tell his stories with his characters...he needed the hook of the original characters to bring people in/back...but yes, the originals would be the safest/best bet
Cheers,
Matt

Mokole
01-14-2005, 06:35 PM
I agree that it's best for Byrne AF to be central to the next series but how is a question. I don't think a book just about Mac Hudson, Heather Hudson, the twins, Shaman, Sasquatch, Snowbird, and Puck would make it. That's8 characters without a retconned Marrina to join retconned Hudson and retconned Snowbird and insane Aurora.... :shock:

I still say Hudons in administration lightens the load, no twins or Marrina. That way you'd have Byrne AF there short two people and have room for one or two younger characters with more appeal. Zuzha and Major Mapleleaf? Box? Witchfire? :wink:

Byrne AF at the center but the action team is not all Byrne, and neither is the book.

cmdrkoenig67
01-14-2005, 11:08 PM
It could never be an all-Byrne book anyway,regardless of whether the original team was used or not...unless he came back and did it...and he's not going to do that. It would be the original characters, but not the Byrne AF...they'll never be that again.

Dana

Northcott
01-20-2005, 09:26 PM
I think that removing the Hudsons or the twins, never mind both, would be a colossal error. Part of what makes the original dynamic work is the reflection of another culture, and those characters are key in creating that reflection.

Le Messor
01-20-2005, 09:38 PM
I agree that it's best for Byrne AF to be central to the next series but how is a question. I don't think a book just about Mac Hudson, Heather Hudson, the twins, Shaman, Sasquatch, Snowbird, and Puck would make it. That's8 characters without a retconned Marrina to join retconned Hudson and retconned Snowbird and insane Aurora.... :shock:

Why not? Worked before. The book was popular when it was about them (though, of course, back then Heather was background.)

It's a good combination of characters, who can make a series.

- Le Messor
"Chicken Little was right."

Mokole
01-21-2005, 01:25 AM
I guess, but it would still be hard to make it fly like a superhero comic. Whoever writes it would have to retconn Aurora or have AF not care that she is nuts and can't be counted on.

cmdrkoenig67
01-21-2005, 03:35 AM
I guess, but it would still be hard to make it fly like a superhero comic. Whoever writes it would have to retconn Aurora or have AF not care that she is nuts and can't be counted on.

Aurora could still be used as a messed up character on the road toward mental health, if written well. Everything doesn't have to be retconned to work. Personally, I find MPD and other disorders interesting and it certainly makes for interesting drama.

Dana

HappyCanuck
01-21-2005, 05:26 AM
Personally, I find MPD and other disorders interesting and it certainly makes for interesting drama.

Dana

Especially if you take into account any FUBAR'ing that happened in WX (I'm assuming here, since I haven't read the series, so I know nothing of what happened to Aurora in it). One part MPD, one part psychological breain-f***ing, two parts loony-toons to begin with (y'd think with all the messing ppl have done with her head - the original MPD, Walt's tampering, the whole psycho-nun bit she went through, Headlok, the Brotherhood, the Weapon X virus, Weapon X Program, her brother - she'd be in a super-powered straight-jacket by now). As for the 'road to recovery', first we gotta figure out who she is, or at least what's left of the original personality...

Northcott
01-21-2005, 10:17 AM
The healing of Aurora's mind (or spirit, depending on how you look at things) would be an excellent way of finally establishing Shaman as a competant mystic with solid, core, spiritual values and connections. It would also provide excellent impetus for Jean-Paul to stick very close to the new Alpha; he can oversee the care of his beloved sister that way.

He'd probably feel a HUGE measure of guilt and rage that this happened to her and he was nowhere to be found... hell, he might even project his aggression all over Xavier and his school for that. JP's certainly not big into personal accountability, and his temper only makes it more likely that he'll need a source to lash out at.

BTW, did he ever find out about Aurora? And has he gotten his hands on Sabertooth yet? Ooooh, lordy. Imagine if JP and Walt managed to corner that psycho. Ew. Messy.

Mokole
01-21-2005, 01:19 PM
Allan has a good point. IF Byrne AF returns then Aurora should be in a mental hospice first to try and get 'fixed' while AF leaves her alone. Only Sasquatch and Shaman have any medical experience that could help her. From my experience with mental disorders (autism, MPD, schizoid, sociopath, psychopath) I found MPD and psychotics the hardest to help, so much is biological and retraining to cope can't be done without years of intense training. No reason Aurora would be easier, she'd be harder.

In an Ultimate AF setting she could start out healthy but slowly turn MPD as the pressures of being a hero get to her, with the resultant running from battle, Northstar going after her etc. problems.

Northcott
01-21-2005, 01:31 PM
Given that Walt's doctorate isn't in a medical science field, nevermind psychology, he's probably not the man to help Aurora. Hell, he had a fling with her. If he were an MD he'd have lost his license and possibly be doing prison time.

cmdrkoenig67
01-21-2005, 02:41 PM
Talking about Aurora/Jeanne Marie just makes me think of another reason I disliked this new series(funny that)....Walter never once mentioned (or gave a thought to)Aurora...does he just believe she's still in that mental institution? Does he never visit her? What the-?

Dana

HappyCanuck
01-21-2005, 03:02 PM
BTW, did he ever find out about Aurora? And has he gotten his hands on Sabertooth yet? Ooooh, lordy. Imagine if JP and Walt managed to corner that psycho. Ew. Messy.

Actually, no, JP pummelled Sabretooth into unconsciousness before Vic could actually answer any questions, and next issue, Wolverine splattered him all over the country-side, so it's going to take a while for Vic to recover from that (a little short-sighted, doncha think).

HappyCanuck
01-21-2005, 03:05 PM
Given that Walt's doctorate isn't in a medical science field, nevermind psychology, he's probably not the man to help Aurora. Hell, he had a fling with her. If he were an MD he'd have lost his license and possibly be doing prison time.

Walt is a biophysicist, so his medical expertise is pretty limited to the energy patterns in biological systems.

kozzi24
01-22-2005, 03:49 AM

I always considered it more than a fling. They were together for a while, Marvel Time, and the main relationship ended with Walt's apparent death in AF #28/Hulk #313. He was no sooner back, as Wanda, when Aurora went into Mantlo-limbo. Simon Furman established that Walt would have liked to rekindle the romance...some of the Wolverine appearances seemed to imply that they had indeed done so off-panel.

While there were many, Scott Lobdell's oversight of Walt's concern for Jeanne-Marie is to me the biggest failing of Volume 3. When she was captured by Weapon X, Walt had been accompanying her to the shrinkjoint, until he needed to respond to the disappearance of Mac and Heather. His concern for her and continued ignorance of her whereabouts could have at least been mentioned by Scott, at least once.

HappyCanuck
01-22-2005, 05:42 AM
(Walter's) concern for her and continued ignorance of her whereabouts could have at least been mentioned by Scott, at least once.

Sounds like the amount of 'concern' shown by her 'overprotective' brother. She was in WX for what, two years?! The only hint of concern we got out of Jean-Paul was after Sabretooth used it to taunt him with before JP pointlessly pummelled the snot out of him...

Northcott
01-22-2005, 02:54 PM
I always considered it more than a fling.

Yeah, you caught me there. :) I was just maintaining a light-hearted tone. It was far more than a simple fling, though.

And I completely agree about the utter vaccuum of consequence we see with the characters; especially Walt and JP.

kozzi24
01-30-2005, 12:28 PM
JP's lack of APPARENT concern is more understandable...the siblings were not as close as they both sometimes wished to be. Walt is actually closer to her. Anytime he has known something has happened to his sister, JP has responded and followed thru. Most of the time he is unaware.
Some assorted examples...
When Aurora turned up in X-Man, Nate spoke of finding her brother...incidating Aurora did not know where he was.
In the NS limited, the only Alpha who dared break the clampdown to help JP was not his sister, but Heather.
Aurora is supportive of JP's "lifestyle"...Jeanne-Marie is NOT due to her beliefs and dogmas...this could make day to day relations between the twins bery tenuous, and very hurtful to JP, who is a defensive person to begin with, and JM's opposition would only be increased by JP's successful book "Born Normal".
Is JP to be alarmed every time his sister disapears? Aurora is neither stable nor consistent, and she probably has taken impulsive vacations many times, disappearing for a length of time and returning to say, "What's the big deal? I was sunning myself on the Riviera." Perhaps the taunting by Sabretooth was the first indication he had gotten that Aurora was wuthin the Weapon X program, rather than just speculations (and speculation-only would explain JP's brief appearance in Weapon X.)
At the time of her capture, Aurora was headed for the shrink joint, and it is very possible to JP's mind, and even Walt's, that one of the personalities emerged and was opposed to being insitutionalized.