PDA

View Full Version : Wolverine #25 *SPOILER*

Defunct
02-10-2005, 08:21 PM
Spoiler space. Trust me.
The Hydra-controlled Wolverine guts Northstar in issue 25. Guts him quite thoroughly.

beetleblack
02-10-2005, 08:35 PM
F%@K!

Sorry, but no other word will do!!! This is just HORRIBLE!

When Lobdell said at the end of AF #12 that Northstar would be appearing in "Wolverine" in the spring and knowing that they were planning on killing a character off I feared the worst but kinda thought: "No, surely they wouldn't kill one of the few gay characters in the Marvel Universe off just like that?"

This just stinks utterly and totally!

cmdrkoenig67
02-10-2005, 08:36 PM
O.....M.......G! That just....sucks.....

Dana

Ben
02-10-2005, 08:37 PM
gasp! is this out now? got a scaner?

Ben

beetleblack
02-10-2005, 08:45 PM
This is just too depressing for words...

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Defunct
02-10-2005, 08:47 PM
gasp! is this out now? got a scaner?

Ben
It comes out on Wednesday. A friend of mine got an early copy.

Ben
02-10-2005, 08:50 PM
now, is he dead, for sure, or just all messed up?

Ben

Defunct
02-10-2005, 08:52 PM
Apparently he's quite quite dead. Well, as dead as any Marvel character ever gets. . . But still dead. And completely gutted.

Ben
02-10-2005, 08:57 PM
Apparently he's quite quite dead. Well, as dead as any Marvel character ever gets. . . But still dead. And completely gutted.

Wow.... :shock:

Defunct
02-10-2005, 08:59 PM
Just hold out hope that the entire series is a dream sequence of some kind. That's what I'm doing.

beetleblack
02-10-2005, 09:08 PM
Maybe the Scarlet Witch will bring him back along with Vision, Hawkeye and Ant-man during House of M???

*sigh*

Seems Marvel are determined to become more family friendly by killing off it's only major gay character, just peachy. I've of a mind at the moment to cancell ALL my Marvel comics at the moment.

Can it get any more depressing?

Oh yeah, if Aurora get's killed off in Weapon X I suppose!

*sigh*

Defunct
02-10-2005, 09:13 PM
I doubt it's because they want to be more "family friendly". They wanted to kill a character to shake things up, and unfortunately Northstar was the only one within clawing-distance that wasn't really really popular.

Millar really liked Northstar, and felt that his death would have a major impact on many characters. I hate to see it happen, but it's nothing anti-gay. I mean, Ultimate Collossus is gay.

cmdrkoenig67
02-10-2005, 09:31 PM
I just hope they will use the time-misplaced Northstar from issue 12 of AF...maybe? This is still pretty depressing. :cry:

They'd better bring back Heather too or I'll be royally peeved.

Dana

varo
02-10-2005, 09:44 PM
uggghhh!!!

i read a interview over at x-fan where millar said marvel gave him permission to use a x-character and kill him, and he was shocked marvel said yes.

i guess we know who it is now.

cmdrkoenig67
02-10-2005, 09:50 PM
Yeah...but Northstar is the ulimate cop-out character to kill off....he's barely a member and he hasn't been used in the X-books very much.

Why not one of morrison's characters.....or Gambit(kidding).

Dana

Defunct
02-10-2005, 09:57 PM
Because if they kill Northstar, they piss off the relatively small number of AF fans in the world. If they kill, say, Beast. . . They bring on the wrath of the entire internet.

Ben
02-10-2005, 10:01 PM
To quote what Marc Millar, wolverine writer says about it:

Ah, I said he was a BIG DEAL in the 90s and Northstar got more face-time in the international press than Wolvie and the others all added together. Northstar coming out was HUGE. It made every paper in Britain in a full-page pic. He was the first openly gay character at Marvel and possibly in superhero comics.

For these reasons, I assumed Marvel would say no way when I suggested killing him. Also, in these PC times, killing off the one well-known gay character might be frowned upon. But they were cool about it.
...Jubilee has never registered for me. I just wasn't very interested in her as a character. It's interesting to see everyone hoping their least fave X-Man would get bumped. Gambit would have been funny, but there are plans for Gambit. Northstar just seems kind of sad because he was nice.
Wolvie on the brink of raping Rachel, slicing up a couple of X-Men and murdering Northstar (not the mention all the SHIELD guys he offed this issue) has him in a mess as it is. The desired effect is there and that's what Agent of SHIELD is all about; his kick-ass come-back and retribution.

Ben

cmdrkoenig67
02-10-2005, 11:43 PM
I have to question why they do this to super heroes, anyway....

Why would anyone want to work with Wolverine again, after this? He's always been a little shakey in the crazed killer department, but now he's killed teammate, a bunch of S.H.I.E.L.D. agents and even came close to killing a few others on the team.

Oh well....I'm sure all will be forgiven and forgotten in no time :roll: :roll: :roll:

Dana

suzene
02-11-2005, 09:51 AM
Complete and utter crap. Yeah, Millar really liked the character. The same way he "really liked" Apollo and the Midnighter, I'm guessing, or the Batman and Robin stand-ins in 'Wanted'. I guess that's why he decided the best thing to do was to paint the floor with Northstar's guts. And yeah, this so sad because Northstar was "nice". Not because it's pointless shock value with homophobic undertones and the waste of a complex character, oh NO! Because that's the first thing that comes to mind when you do more than thirty seconds of research into that character's personality..."Wow, Northstar's really nice! Not at all bitter or snarky!" Bull. It's all ass-covering and it makes this even more disgusting.

Suzene

DelBubs
02-11-2005, 10:27 AM
Complete and utter crap. Yeah, Millar really liked the character. The same way he "really liked" Apollo and the Midnighter, I'm guessing, or the Batman and Robin stand-ins in 'Wanted'. I guess that's why he decided the best thing to do was to paint the floor with Northstar's guts. And yeah, this so sad because Northstar was "nice". Not because it's pointless shock value with homophobic undertones and the waste of a complex character, oh NO! Because that's the first thing that comes to mind when you do more than thirty seconds of research into that character's personality..."Wow, Northstar's really nice! Not at all bitter or snarky!" Bull. It's all ass-covering and it makes this even more disgusting.

Suzene
Whoa there neddy, can I suggest that you take a step back. Millar is anything but homphobic. If he has any fault, it's mainly that he enjoys shocking people, he's done this on numerous occasion. The rape of Apollo in 'The Authority' comes to mind, the sheer verocity of 'Wanted', but homophobic definately not. He likes to shock and create controversy,obviously he's gonna be ecstatic about this one.

HappyCanuck
02-11-2005, 10:34 AM
Okay, really, where the hell is this 'homophobe' BS coming from?! (And not just from Suzene. I've seen this said in several places now) Just because the character getting gutted is gay doesn't mean ANYONE's a homophobe - it means they're a (shamefully) underused minor character used to make a point (no pun intended). If the character getting gutted was a Jew, would that make Millar an antisemite? Or if he was Black, would that make him a white supremist? Or if it was a dog, an animal-cruelist?

Most ppl on here know me as THE most vehement when it comes to the topic of equality for homosexuals (to a point of actually attacking ppl whom I percieve to have made a comment at our expence - my apologise to those this applies to), and I don't see ANY evidence of homophobia! M'thinks many of you are being WAY to conscious of this fact. Yes, Jean-Paul was the first publically Gay character in Marvel, but that doesn't mean the writer that kills him off is a homophobe. Sorry, I just don't see it.

No, this doesn't mean I'm happy that it's JP that snuffs it - he's one of the most complex and intriguing characters out there - and his treatment since he was reintroduced in UXM 414 has been pissing me off for some time. Am I happy that Millar chose him to get the pointy ends? no. But I do understand the why - Northstar, at that point, was a minor character (which pains me to say, btw), thus expendable without unsettling the rest of the X-Titles.

kozzi24
02-11-2005, 10:56 AM
quote:
Millar really liked Northstar, and felt that his death would have a major impact on many characters.
This will majorly impact the many characters off in space, or the other ones who haven't been seen for a while? Or all the X-Men teammates he is so close to? Or his students?...Right.
Not one of those deaths I think will be permanent, just as I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing Hawkeye again.

And Dana, you don't have to kid about killing Gambit...long overdue.

Amd it is possible the on a corporate level, Marvel has become more homophobic. Didn't Northstar's appearances really decline after Dan Buckley took over?

DelBubs
02-11-2005, 11:01 AM
It was more a case of Marvel signing a big distribution deal with a major outlet. They wanted comics as a bottom shelf commodity, so Northstars proclivities were prolly put on the back burner.

kozzi24
02-11-2005, 11:13 AM
And that is the fault of the writer who brought him on board to be an openly gay character who could become Juggernaut's boyfriend.. Northstar's overal treatment in X-Men--not without a good spot here or ther--has not been good because he has been little other than a gay character, despite every other complex aspect the character has had.

One opportunity that has been wasted is that of the original Alpha's Wolverine's relationship and interaction with Northstar has been most minimal, and exactly how they might interact one-on-one (and I am not referring to sexually) was never explored. The best it's ever been touched on was in that single issue of "What If?"

PWalk
02-11-2005, 12:44 PM
When do we get a Northstar avatar with a halo over his head?

Lemme ask a question...

With Lobdell bringing the original Alphans from the past into the future isn't there still a Northstar currently on the map? Maybe Lobdell got word of Northstar's soon to be offing and decided to keep him around by using this method. :?: :idea:

I just think that more and more Alpha's characters are being used by writers to fill in gaps in their stories where they just need a body and didn't recieve permission to create a new character. The AF legacy is being whored out for all to use at their whimsey and it's really dissappointing to see characters with such rich and complex backgrounds be offed simply for shock and awe.

Also who else agrees with me when I say "Somewhere Byrne is laughing right now."

DelBubs
02-11-2005, 12:55 PM
If I had created AF and Lobdell had treated my creation the way they were portrayed in vol 3 I'd be spitting feathers, but Byrne has made his felings re AF clear so he's prolly pissing himself re vol 3 and the demise of NS.

Regarding the treatment of AF, they've been treated as fill ins and comic relief by numerous writers for years, it's not a new thing. As for the second edition running around cos Lobdell bought them back from the past, hopefully that will get retconned out the window, plus I doubt any other writer has taken much notice of the crappola Lobdell presented.

Northcott
02-11-2005, 02:41 PM
I think by now my stance on killing characters for shock value is pretty well-known. That said, I don't think I could bring myself to feel bad for Gambit if someone were to gack that 90's Mary Sue power-fantasy.

PWalk
02-11-2005, 03:29 PM
That said, I don't think I could bring myself to feel bad for Gambit if someone were to gack that 90's Mary Sue power-fantasy.

In a perfect world it would have been Gambit dressed up in NS' costume when Wolvie went "snikt" in his bowels.

maniac mike
02-11-2005, 03:53 PM
I read somewhere that Marvel plans on downsizing their mutant population during the "House of M" series this summer, so expect a lot of mutant deaths in the coming year.

MM :roll:

DMK
02-11-2005, 06:13 PM
Well, this is a shame. As for the AF v1 #12 era Northstar running around... well, I haven't any doubt in the world that Marvel is going to simply ignore the whole v1 #12 group that Lobdell left stranded after v3 #12.

It's a pity. Northstar was pretty unique amongst comic characters... an arrogrant jerk who only did the right thing when it suited his purposes.

DelBubs
02-11-2005, 07:25 PM
Over at the Alpha Flight message boards there's speculation, mention that Northstar may well come back as a 'Hand' Ninja, as Elektra did all those years back.

Mokole
02-11-2005, 08:23 PM
Who knows? It's pretty unlikely that he'll stay dead, he'll just join the pantheon of dead Afers who just don't stay dead.

Looks like my optimism about good news from Ben/Phil is unfounded. :cry:

Now all we'll have to talk about is what to do to get AF v4 and what the WX miniseries will have for Afers. :roll:

suzene
02-11-2005, 08:27 PM
Whoa there neddy, can I suggest that you take a step back. Millar is anything but homphobic. If he has any fault, it's mainly that he enjoys shocking people, he's done this on numerous occasion. The rape of Apollo in 'The Authority' comes to mind, the sheer verocity of 'Wanted', but homophobic definately not. He likes to shock and create controversy,obviously he's gonna be ecstatic about this one.

Step back yourself, sweety. If you don't consider a companywide policy that essentially says that it's absolute taboo to show any implication of two gays having made love, kissing, holding hands, or otherwise showing anything but platonic affection (addendum: exceptions to be made for superhot lesbians), but that it's perfectly OK to kill one off to be homophobic, then that's your concern, but I call it as I see it and I'm sticking the tag to this particular writer for being the hand that carries that policy through for sheer exploitation value. Yeah, 'homophobe' is an ugly tag, and killing off a severely marginalized comic book character is not on the same level of severity as, say, raping your lesbian daughter to show her how to appreciate men, but it's all from the same root.

That said, I don't think that the killing of a gay character is in and of itself a sign of bigotry; sexual orientation should not be a ward against equal treatment, positive or negative. Sunfire's death, for example, and the deaths of the X-Statix were appropriate to their books and characters. If Tieri, for example, had brought Northstar into the upcoming Weapon X mini on a quest to find his sister and had him die in that pursuit or if DeFillipes and Weir had him die trying to aid one of the students over in New X-Men, odds are I still would have been screaming, but it would have been along the lines of "Stop breaking my heart, you bastards!" The former has a storyline that Northstar has a logical reason to be there, and a book that has a reputation as a killing field. The latter two have demonstrated enough sensitivity and respect toward the character -- in and outside of the book -- that I'd accuse an editor of rewriting the script before I'd accuse them of pandering to a bigoted management, and I think that they'd probably move me to tears with the execution besides.

Millar has none of that credibility built up with me. I did not consider Apollo's rape to be a sign of bigotry -- on the contrary, I was intrigued when I heard about it. So far as I'm aware, that was the first -- and perhaps still only -- instance of male-on-male rape to be displayed in anything even resembling a high profile superhero book, and I wanted to see how it was going to be handled. The answer was 'disappointingly'; the story had no follow-through so far as the impact of the rape, just a 'revenge makes everything better' wrap-up. Hardly worth the hype, I thought, but what can you expect from a superhero book, right? Not everyone can follow in Ellis' wake. The second time it happened, I found it more disturbing. Yes, the entire Authority was subjected to a series of (admittedly) creative and humiliating tortures, but again, we were back to basics with beating and molesting the gay man. Even *then* I might not have thought too darkly of the whole affair, but the fact that Millar kept coming back to linger on Apollo's torture in specific made me think there might be something else there. The Batman and Robin stand-ins in "Wanted"...just ugh. That is the oldest fag joke in the industry, and it wasn't funny the first time. Almost worse, his being unable to resist inserting the joke got in the way of the one already in play. And then there's this. Northstar is being killed off because he's gay. Plain and simple. Because his being gay is a hassle for TPTB. Because in his quest to be as exploitively non-PC as possible and because he'll be allowed to get away with it, Millar zoomed in on and decided to kill off the last queer standing. Nevermind that it's a throwaway death. Nevermind that I can think of two or three unused but technically active characters at the mansion that he could have killed to better story effect and that would been both unmourned by the readership at large and *really* would have been shocking in their deaths because hardly anyone remembers them being around. Nevermind that Jean-Paul is a character that has never been used to his full potential and still had connection to a couple of ongoing plots. Under the current administration and with this writer at the helm, Jean-Paul's sexuality was his death sentence. The ***** of it is that this isn't even really very shocking, just maddening. This was half-expected on my part because even back when Teiri mentioned that Northstar would be guest-starring in Weapon X I was well aware that Northstar's death had the potential to benefit everyone involved the most out of all the possible choices. And so it has. Millar gets his hype and the Marvel staff have disposed of the double-edged sword of having The First Gay Superhero (tm), having decided that the progressive image gifted by said superhero wasn't worth the problem of actually having to figure out something to do with him besides make his sexuality the butt or jokes or the focal point for neutered, placating social commentary. I hate it when supposedly creative people live down to my expectations.

My opinion of the overgrown twelve-year-olds running Marvel is a lost cause. Maybe I'll revise my opinion of Millar and chalk what appears to be bigotry up to the man holding everything and everyone equally irreverent when and if I do see him giving other minorities this kind of treatment -- admittedly a difficult proposition, as I decided to actively start avoiding the man's work with the end of 'Wanted'. Until then, I stand by my opinion. And if I had seen him all but squealing with glee over how many PC feathers he could ruffle if he was killing off Kitty for being Jewish, or Bishop for being black, or Dust for being Arabic, I can assure you my disgust would be just as deep as it is right now and any assurances of how much he liked the character would seem just as absurd. It just would have come as more of a shock, that's all.

Suzene

Defunct
02-11-2005, 09:31 PM
Wow suzene, I've never seen such a long post with so very very little to say. They killed a character you like. Get over it. The fact that he's gay had NOTHING to do with it.

Mokole
02-11-2005, 09:36 PM
Yah, I agree. They killed the least 'x-menish' of the X-men, he's an AFer after all. They wanted an impact death but not a central character (after all, they've "killed" Jean Grey, Colossus, and Psylocke recently and did silly stories to 'rebirth' them, Grey's 'return' won't happen for a while yet, I hope).

Still, I hold out out for another AF comic. :roll:

suzene
02-11-2005, 10:38 PM
Wow suzene, I've never seen such a long post with so very very little to say. They killed a character you like. Get over it. The fact that he's gay had NOTHING to do with it.

Weak. :roll:

Suzene

Defunct
02-11-2005, 11:50 PM
No dear, "weak" was penning that 1000-word polemic on the mass right wing conspiracy to systematically murder gay crime fighters.

Honestly, if you think the character's sexuality factored that heavily in the decision to kill him rather than, say, Cyclops. . . Well, you need take step back and seriously re-evaluate your world view, if not just your. . . unique opinions on the comic industry.

Ben
02-12-2005, 01:19 AM
Ok, so first, lets remember, we each have our own opinions, and expressing them is encouraged. Lets not make it personal, and let's attempt to be diplomatic with each other, and creators. I encourage opinions to be expressed openly, as long as it's not slanderous towards other. I don't feel that line has been crossed yet, but it's being walked.

That being said, I'll express my opinion on the matter, admins have them too.

The fact that Northstar is dead, sucks. In my opinion, Millar killing off NS was to bring Wolvie to a major mental crisis. He and Northstar go farther back than any other member of the X-Men, therefore killing him while under metal control would have a deeper impact on the character. I feel THAT is why the character was chosen. I don't like the fact that he is being killed, but at the same point, it does accomplis the means for the story. If you want to say someone is biggoted, or homophobic, how biggoted is it to choose NOT to kill him because he's gay? I do not feel he was chosen for his sexual orientation, I do feel it was because of his historical associatioin with Wolverine. To choose an other character, giving less impact, becase they are afraid of the backlash due to the character's sexulity, is a form of biggotry. From what I know of Millar, it is not in his nature to be homophobic. I've never met the man, but do have friends who have had drinks with, and chummed around with him, and from what I have heard, he is not like that in the lest. He wanted to make an impact with his story, and by God, he has.

I can understand being upset, and easily jumping to these condlusions, because NS is the only really openly gay character in the MU, but why fingers, or make any unfounded accusations without any basis?

My rant is done, you won't get it often from me.

Ben

kozzi24
02-12-2005, 01:31 AM
Well said Ben.
The way I look at it, NO death counts until the story arc and its immediate ramifications are over. By this standard, I do not consider Hawkeye and Ant-Man truly dead until the Scarlet Witch is healed. I doubt either Hawkeye or Northstar will stay dead.

The historical link Ben mentioned could be a main reason for selecting Northstar, although I tend to think gutting Jubilee would have more impact on the character of Wolverine.

The arc is not over...the issue in question is not even out yet, so the fat lady has not sung, Northstar is not buried.

Ben
02-12-2005, 01:39 AM
The historical link Ben mentioned could be a main reason for selecting Northstar, although I tend to think gutting Jubilee would have more impact on the character of Wolverine..

Can't do in a character that has plot dibs, and with Jubs having her own book (or is it done?) they would choose her. He said he couldnt' kill the popular choise, Gambit, as somone had plans for him. No one was planning anything for NS, and of all availbable characters, he was most likely the one who would have the most impact on the story.

Ben

kozzi24
02-12-2005, 01:49 AM
Yes, the Jubes book has been axed.

JohnnyCanuck
02-12-2005, 02:32 AM
Ok Just a question here. If Wolverine kills JP in his book then who's killing JP in this book? X-men The End: heroes and Martyrs see image posted in Assorted AF Images section.

Ben
02-12-2005, 02:50 AM
When do we get a Northstar avatar with a halo over his head?"

How's this ? ;)

http://forum.alphaflight.net/images/avatars/Alpha_Flight6/ns_halo.jpg

Ben

Ben
02-12-2005, 02:52 AM
Ok Just a question here. If Wolverine kills JP in his book then who's killing JP in this book? X-men The End: heroes and Martyrs see image posted in Assorted AF Images section.

I believe that's one of Marvel's "alternate timelines"

Ben

Northcott
02-12-2005, 02:54 AM
He said he couldnt' kill the popular choise, Gambit, as somone had plans for him.

Ah well. Can't blame the man for trying with that one. ;)

DelBubs
02-12-2005, 08:06 AM
I'm going with the majority here, I believe Northstar is going because he's underused and the repercussions of his death will have bearing for months to come, given the history Wolvie has with both him and Alpha.

Suzene raised some very good points in her post, but I guess we are just going to have to differ, but that doesn't mean I don't respect her position. I personally don't believe that Marvel are overtly or covertly pursuing some kind of homophobic agenda. Given the amount of gay readers it would seem to have, it would be financial suicide to alienate them. As for Mark Millar, he's outrageous and controversial, but never to my mind homophobic in any size shape or form. Every now and again the MU needs a shake up, a major incident to get the readers buzzing and buying books they wouldn't normally. I don't normally read Wolvie, but I shall be picking up #25 and a few issues after to see where this goes.

As for Northstar, I have always considered him my least favourite original Alphan, however his demise saddens me, but I do expect his return, I mean this is Marvel.

syvalois
02-12-2005, 11:45 AM
They just killed off the only male Quebecer! That's not fare! ....oh, and gay too, but that's not as important. They killed the Only male Quebecer! Now, I'm just left with one crazy quebecer :-({|= Bravo! =D>

DelBubs
02-12-2005, 12:04 PM
They just killed off the only male Quebecer! That's not fare! ....oh, and gay too, but that's not as important. They killed the Only male Quebecer! Now, I'm just left with one crazy quebecer :-({|= Bravo! =D>
It's Marvels anti-Quebec policy and Millars a Quebecophobe :lol:

cmdrkoenig67
02-12-2005, 01:06 PM

What about the other Northstar from the past? Then there's the other Aurora....so we're stuck with two crazy female Quebecers and one male gay quebecer. :D

Dana

suzene
02-12-2005, 03:28 PM
No dear, "weak" was penning that 1000-word polemic on the mass right wing conspiracy to systematically murder gay crime fighters.

Even a thousand words that no one agrees with have more merit than any variation on "shut up and sit down".

Honestly, if you think the character's sexuality factored that heavily in the decision to kill him rather than, say, Cyclops. . . Well, you need take step back and seriously re-evaluate your world view, if not just your. . . unique opinions on the comic industry.

Hardly unique, just not yours and in the minority where this particular event is concerned, but that was expected.

I have heard the theory that the reason Northstar was chosen was because he and Wolverine share a mutual past in Alpha Flight and so Northstar would have the greatest emotional impact out of those characters able to be put up on the chopping block. It's not an idea without merit, but it also comes across as fairly forced. In all of the instances where the X-Men and Alpha Flight have crossed paths, Wolverine's strongest connection has been with Heather and Mac. Wolverine and Northstar have hardly even seemed to like each other in any of those instances, certainly not close, and, if how he resigned is any indication, Wolverine wasn't overfond of his time in Alpha Flight to begin with. The majority of the mansion inhabitants, however, are people that Wolverine has laughed with, shared beers with, taught, and generally formed more bonds of love and friendship with with than he did any of the Alphans (barring the Hudsons, of course). I don't mean that to sound like Logan wouldn't give a damn about gutting Northstar, I just don't think the theory stands up very well.

Here now, stop that! No making me laugh when I'm trying to rant!

What about the other Northstar from the past? Then there's the other Aurora....so we're stuck with two crazy female Quebecers and one male gay quebecer. :D

So why not just gut the spare instead of the one with an actual history? :?

*snickt!*
"Northstar, nooooo!"
"Que?"
"Dude, WTF?"

Suzene

kozzi24
02-12-2005, 03:49 PM
Suzene wrote:
Wolverine and Northstar have hardly even seemed to like each other in any of those instances, certainly not close, and, if how he resigned is any indication, Wolverine wasn't overfond of his time in Alpha Flight to begin with.
I agree with that bit entirely. Northstar was the last of the originals to join, and if I remember correctly, Mac introduced him to Aurora alone. It is possible that Northstar and Wolverine never even served Alpha at the same time.

Northcott
02-12-2005, 04:37 PM
So why not just gut the spare instead of the one with an actual history? :?

*snickt!*
"Northstar, nooooo!"
"Que?"
"Dude, WTF?"

Comedy gold.

I've almost got this sneaking suspicion that the continuity-screwy AF will go boom, and the original Alpha will become the ... they'll be... that is... Alpha will be Alpha.

Goddamn time-travel arcs!

I've a hunch that we'll eventually see a mess to try and rectify the dopplegangers running around. Personally, I see it as a prime opportunity to smooth out continuity, having our cake and eating it too with the iconic Alphans returned to their default state without either invalidating them or removing the years of their stories.

suzene
02-12-2005, 04:38 PM
I agree with that bit entirely. Northstar was the last of the originals to join, and if I remember correctly, Mac introduced him to Aurora alone. It is possible that Northstar and Wolverine never even served Alpha at the same time.

You know, thinking on it, it's not like they've exactly been buddy-buddy since Northstar got hauled into the X-Men either. I think the most time they've spent together on-page was when Jean-Paul had to carry Wolverine back to the mansion after the Parrot Wolves of Doom worked Logan over. (There are not enough rolly-eye smilies in the world to cover that storyline...)

I've a hunch that we'll eventually see a mess to try and rectify the dopplegangers running around. Personally, I see it as a prime opportunity to smooth out continuity, having our cake and eating it too with the iconic Alphans returned to their default state without either invalidating them or removing the years of their stories.

We've secretly (or damn near close to secretly, considering the sales) switched out original Alpha Flight for new Doppleflight. Let's see if our readers notice the difference.

Really, though, I don't know if anyone besides Lobdell is going to give enough of a damn to do anything with DoppleFlight. And it's not like the huge, candy-like reset button helped when Larson tried it.

Suzene

Scarlettspiderg
02-12-2005, 05:09 PM
Speaking of Doppleflight, what ever happened to Evil Alpha Flight from Infinity War? Perhaps they could come back as well and then we could loads of different Alpha Flights :lol:

Northcott
02-12-2005, 05:17 PM
Evil Alpha? Oooooh, I missed that!

An Alpha war, winner takes all! Or Kang shows up (again) and a royal rumble of cross-times ensues, with the real Alpha emerging victorious! (Which ever Alpha that may be)

Ben
02-12-2005, 05:22 PM
Speaking of Doppleflight, what ever happened to Evil Alpha Flight from Infinity War? Perhaps they could come back as well and then we could loads of different Alpha Flights :lol:

They eventually turned into a pile of writhing tentacles like the rest of the marvel dopplegangers .

Ben

Ahab
02-12-2005, 06:18 PM
Regardless of the reason for killing Northstar, I just can't believe that Marvel didn't think of the potential impact of killing the only confirmed homosexual character in the X-men. At one time, the X-men were known for consisting of diverse characters from numerous cultures. It never made sense to me that no one ever introduced a gay character. Of all comics, the X-men would seem to be the one most likely to successfully handle such a "controversial" character, yet no one had the gumption to do it. Now that someone finally made the move, they kill the character off. My feelings on the character of Northstar aside, I think it was a bad move.

suzene
02-12-2005, 07:14 PM
Regardless of the reason for killing Northstar, I just can't believe that Marvel didn't think of the potential impact of killing the only confirmed homosexual character in the X-men.

Not to in any way defend Marvel, but Karma is still around, though to call her a background character is to be extremely generous. Of course, Karma is now the only confirmed homosexual in *any* of the Marvel books.

Suzene

Scarlettspiderg
02-12-2005, 07:44 PM
I was going to mention Sunfire (Exiles version) but shes no longer in a Marvel book.

Back onto the Northstar issue, hopefully the death/being brought back will be a good push for the character and give him more story space in X-Men. Ok I know its asking for a lot, but c'mon I can hope.

syvalois
02-12-2005, 08:55 PM
Back onto the Northstar issue, hopefully the death/being brought back will be a good push for the character and give him more story space in X-Men. Ok I know its asking for a lot, but c'mon I can hope.

he will come back as a heterosexual american :twisted:

Northcott
02-12-2005, 09:40 PM

You can tell she's Quebecois by the distinct aura of evil that permeates her every post. :P

Scarlettspiderg
02-12-2005, 10:44 PM

Could you imagine Miller approaching Marvel with this?

MM: So I want to kill an X-Man for my big Wolvie story.
Marvel: Which one?
MM: Northstar
Marvel: He's an X-Man? I thought he was Alpha Flight?
MM: He is, but Chuck made him an X-Man in his last arc. Theres no need to worry about it though, I'm bringing him back the next issue.
Marvel: Hmmm, but what about our "dead is dead" policy.
MM: You let Joss get Colossus. And anyway get this - he comes back as a straight american!!
Marvel: Damn, thats a great idea! The fans wont see that coming!

mvranas
02-12-2005, 10:53 PM
Regardless of the reason for killing Northstar, I just can't believe that Marvel didn't think of the potential impact of killing the only confirmed homosexual character in the X-men. At one time, the X-men were known for consisting of diverse characters from numerous cultures. It never made sense to me that no one ever introduced a gay character. Of all comics, the X-men would seem to be the one most likely to successfully handle such a "controversial" character, yet no one had the gumption to do it. Now that someone finally made the move, they kill the character off. My feelings on the character of Northstar aside, I think it was a bad move.

Yeah, but isn't that the point: In life, people die. Regardless of their race, status or, in this case, sexual preference.

I agree, the X-Men have had many diverse characters. However, thinking back to the ANAD X-Men, I can't imagine that Marvel hesitated to kill off Thunderbird because he was the only Native American on the team. I'm sure an 'Indian' superhero was controversial at the time.

I haven't followed much of Northstar's appearances in the X-Men titles, but I hope that his death in Wolverine was also relevant to the story and not simply for shock value. Both Millar and Bendis have said they were surprised at the characters Marvel allowed them to kill (apparently, Bendis was given an "okay-to-kill" list for Disassembled) but I don't believe that should mean death for death's sake.

Using Jean Grey as an example, how much shock value did her most recent death have? Most readers, I imagine, are pretty indifferent to it and expect her return in the near future. Now, compare that with her first death.

Northstar - RIP.

-Mike

Ps. Has Frank Tieri mentioned what effect, if any, this will have on Aurora in the Weapon: X mini?

Ben
02-13-2005, 06:18 AM
Regardless of the reason for killing Northstar, I just can't believe that Marvel didn't think of the potential impact of killing the only confirmed homosexual character in the X-men.

Not to in any way defend Marvel, but Karma is still around, though to call her a background character is to be extremely generous. Of course, Karma is now the only confirmed homosexual in *any* of the Marvel books.

Suzene

What about Honey Lemon and Sunpyre in Big Hero 6?

Ben

cmdrkoenig67
02-13-2005, 01:01 PM
Well....Sunpyre is supposed to be dead too...she was murdered by the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants(or Mystique) in Uncanny X-Men(around the same time/or in the same issue as Radius).

Dana

kozzi24
02-13-2005, 03:34 PM
So, basiccally, we can sum up Marvel Corporate policy to homosexuality in their books (this week) to kill the homosexual men, but lesbians are ok because they can be fun to watch?

suzene
02-13-2005, 08:55 PM
So, basiccally, we can sum up Marvel Corporate policy to homosexuality in their books (this week) to kill the homosexual men, but lesbians are ok because they can be fun to watch?

This week?

ladymako71
02-14-2005, 12:51 AM
wtf? *shakes head* I'm so with beetle on this one...this sucks.

cmdrkoenig67
02-14-2005, 01:20 AM
Actually Beetle said it stinks....I said it sucks...you're mixing up the gay boys. LOL.

It really does stink and suck both...however, there's always the chance they'll resurrect him?

Dana

ladymako71
02-14-2005, 01:23 AM
sorry mate...I got flumoxed when Ben im'ed me with it. It does blow...hard core...I'm dying to see what happens when it comes out on Wednesday. (the issue of doom)

seroquel
02-14-2005, 10:02 AM
at least he has to be shown on screen to die. ya know? and then he gets to come back at some point in time. which means that he actually has to appear in a comic and story might have to be written. so.....

PWalk
02-14-2005, 10:16 AM
When do we get a Northstar avatar with a halo over his head?"

How's this ? ;)

http://forum.alphaflight.net/images/avatars/Alpha_Flight6/ns_halo.jpg

Ben

Nice job! Thank you sir.

Does anyone have a scan of the page where JP gets ripped into? I'm smelling another avatar... 8)

cmdrkoenig67
02-14-2005, 01:52 PM
I'm REALLLLY hoping this is not one of those stories where the writer wants to tell us that not all heroes return from death. You know, the kind of story where Wolverine and Elektra get resurrected, but Northstar doesn't.....someone(or captions) at the end saying..."Not all heroes can escape death." Or some BS like that. As it is, because of the recent craptacular Alpha Flight...If I ever meet Scott or Jo(k)e(Quesada)...their going to get a nice hard kick to the groin....I don't want to have to injure Miller too....LOL.

Dana

beetleblack
02-14-2005, 03:49 PM
"I assumed Marvel would say no way when I suggested killing him. Also, in these PC times, killing off the one well-known gay character might be frowned upon. But they were cool about it."

I don't believe that Miller is homophobic - HOWEVER, I believe that Marvel are more than happy to see the back of Northstar. When he was bought into the X-Men apparently Austen had big plans to give him a boyfriend etc but Marvel said NO because they had some sort of new policy when it came to gay characters (hence the fact that Karma has been stuck in a library with no "screen time" for the last eight months!). Northstar then got shunted off to the sidelines where he's remained ever since. This is pathetic. No wonder Marvel were cool about him being killed off - they were probably rejoicing! Problem solved.

Problem is for ever letter of protest they may get they will probably get ten more congratulating them for finalling "killing the faggot".

At the end of the day if you're gay and you see the one and only gay male character in the Marvel Universe get killed off you are going to be more than a little p*ssed off. If the table were turned and all the characters were gay in the Marvel Universe apart from one and they decided to kill off that one character, wouldn't you be p*ssed off too????

Ben
02-14-2005, 04:09 PM
Problem is for ever letter of protest they may get they will probably get ten more congratulating them for finalling "killing the faggot".

I'm not so sure that will be the case. In the 13+ months this forum has been active, there has been 1 person expressing opinions like that. Reading other forums and discussion groups, opinions like that are definately in the minority. On the other hand, everywhere I look, people are upset about this decision.

I am starting to think that we will see him back before long, and assume that it was long a part of the plans. Northstar becomes an agent of the hand, and we get a great opening for a new AF series ;) A new Omega Flight threatens Canada, Northstar, assin of the hand, Aurora, crazy as a loon, clinging onto her assin brother, Jeffries, cracked from everyone mucking with his head, Wildchild, also messed up from Weapon X, lead by, and mental strings pulled by General Clarke (Scorpio of the now shattered Zodiac), seeking revenge :D

Ben

Legerd
02-14-2005, 05:13 PM

From Louisiana.

Legerd
02-14-2005, 05:22 PM
I've got an idea how to fix everything. Wolverine breaks the Hand's control on him but feels he can't return to the X-men, because of all the bad things he did. So, to try and make amends he goes off and rescues Aurora, Wild Child and Madison Jefferies and returns with them to Canada just in time for the "real" AF to get back from outer space. Together they all travel into the Realm of the Dead and rescue Northstar. Once back they decide to form AF V.4!

Barnacle13
02-14-2005, 05:55 PM

From Louisiana.

Sweet then I could play him! Of course then you wouldn't get that crazy "Cajun" accent. Probably not a good idea afterall.

HappyCanuck
02-15-2005, 03:52 AM
I've got an idea how to fix everything. Wolverine breaks the Hand's control on him but feels he can't return to the X-men, because of all the bad things he did. So, to try and make amends he goes off and rescues Aurora, Wild Child and Madison Jefferies and returns with them to Canada just in time for the "real" AF to get back from outer space. Together they all travel into the Realm of the Dead and rescue Northstar. Once back they decide to form AF V.4!

Nice idea Legerd, except then you have a problem: Wolverine would be back in Alpha Flight - AS WELL AS the Avengers and fifteen different X-teams. as if he wasn't overused as it was....

beetleblack
02-15-2005, 07:36 AM
Maybe Lobdell should have had a past version of Wolverine show up in our timeline a la Original Alpha Flight #12 v.3 - that would solve Wolverine's busy schedule!

Hello
02-17-2005, 02:29 AM
Northstar returns:

WOLVERINE #27

The Story:
"AGENT OF S.H.I.E.L.D."
What’s scarier than a high-profile super hero turned deathcult assassin? TWO super heroes turned deathcult assassins! Hydra might have lost Wolverine, but two more take his place, and one is a former X-Man who will shock former teammates and readers alike! As the new Supreme Hydra launches an unprecedented attack on S.H.I.E.L.D., there’s precious little time for second guesses, leaving Nick Fury to send Wolverine into the heat of battle hoping the deprogramming will stick. Part 2 (of 6).

Defunct
02-17-2005, 06:39 PM
Northstar returns:
Watch that stretch, honey. You'll hurt yourself.

Ben
02-17-2005, 06:55 PM
Hello Hello (is there an echo in here?)

I don't think that is such a huge stretch. Millar would neither confirm or deny that possibility in my inerview.

Ben

kozzi24
02-17-2005, 10:23 PM
I don't think a death should ever be counted as final until the arc in which it happens closes, so with the aftermath of "Enemy of the State" being another 6 issue run, there's pleanty of space to see the tragedy reversed within confines of the original story rather than some forced return down the line.

Ben
02-17-2005, 10:53 PM
I don't think a death should ever be counted as final until the arc in which it happens closes, so with the aftermath of "Enemy of the State" being another 6 issue run, there's pleanty of space to see the tragedy reversed within confines of the original story rather than some forced return down the line.

I couldn't agree more. Everyone around the world is freekin' out and flippin' out on the varrious message boards. No one seems to see the distinct possibility that this death is in truth a big part of the story, not just one issue. If by chance when Millar has done his 12 issue run on Wolverine, an NS is still dead, then I'll be upset, not at Millar, just at how NS was wasted over the years and resulted in being killed off.

On the flip side, my interview has been getting lots of attention ;)

Ben

kozzi24
02-17-2005, 11:40 PM
On the flip side, my interview has been getting lots of attention ;)

Ben

Not surprised there, considering the subject, timeliness and the overwall quality of the work, in questions and presentation. U done good, Ben, real good.

jay042
02-18-2005, 01:47 PM
This recent Newsarama article on New X-Men: Academy X (http://newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27783) They specificly mention that the death of an X-man in Wolverine has ramifications for the students. So I'm thinking poor Jean Paul is wormfood.

Defunct
02-18-2005, 02:38 PM
Now THIS qualifies as interesting:

WOLVERINE #28

Written by Mark Millar, art by John Romita Jr., cover by Greg Land.

"Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D." With friends like these, who needs enemies? Hydra hits close to home in more ways than one, leaving a rehabilitated Wolverine to face off against a brainwashed, evil former X-Man. With the evil Dawn of the White Light mutants as backup, it¹s not looking pretty. Part 3 of 6.

32 pages, $2.25, in stores on May 18.

Cover (http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0502/18/wolverine28.htm).

Hmmmmmm. . .

EDIT: Oh, and everyone's favourite Bigfoot shows up on the cover (http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0502/18/gla2.htm) of GLA #2.

HappyCanuck
02-18-2005, 02:41 PM
Sure looks like him to me!

Mokole
02-18-2005, 03:11 PM
Not me. Way too broad in the shoulders. A lot of choices out there.

HappyCanuck
02-18-2005, 03:24 PM
Not me. Way too broad in the shoulders. A lot of choices out there.

'too broad in the shoulders' could just be artist difference. Each person draws characters differently.

beetleblack
02-18-2005, 05:05 PM
Well, the cover is by Greg Land - who makes all the women in the Marvel Universe look like big breasted glamour girls (apparently he's going to be doing covers for Fantastic Four shortly so expect Susan to get a new low cut costume and start flashing some flesh!) so maybe he does the same thing to men - make them more manly and muscular?

Maybe it is him and maybe it isn't. I'm not getting my hopes up in case they are dashed...

Mokole
02-18-2005, 05:50 PM
If it is Northstar one would have to explain how they got his body before the mortician and without anybody noticing/caring. In New X-Men they mourn his death. But it could be him.

However the design reminds me of another ex X-Men but I can't put my finger on which one. :roll:

Ben
02-18-2005, 06:16 PM
Compare to an other Land NS Cover (http://www.alphaflight.net/character_galleries/northstar/northstar_gallery21.jpg) I think this could well be him.

Ben

beetleblack
02-18-2005, 07:44 PM
Maybe it's a bluff to keep us interested?

Apparently there are two resurrections of dead X-Men.

Scarlettspiderg
02-18-2005, 07:47 PM
Maybe it's a bluff to keep us interested?

Apparently there are two resurrections of dead X-Men.

Northstar and...Cypher (Doug Ramsey)!!

HappyCanuck
02-18-2005, 07:49 PM
Yeah, good luck with that Spider... Cypher's been dead for too long, and there's no real reason Hydra would bring him back to life. Why resurrect a translator when you can train another?

Scarlettspiderg
02-18-2005, 07:54 PM
The Hand might raise him by accident :D

He could read foreign language books to his opponents!

HappyCanuck
02-18-2005, 07:55 PM
yeeeaaahhh, tho I too would like the return of Doug Ramsey, sorry mate, just NOT gonna happen.....

KittyKaPow
02-18-2005, 07:56 PM
If it is Northstar one would have to explain how they got his body before the mortician and without anybody noticing/caring. In New X-Men they mourn his death. But it could be him.

Dude, in the Marvel universe, its apparently very easy to steal a corpse. I mean just look at Colossus. He was creamated, and through the glory of retcons, his corpse was switched up with a different one. And nobody noticed. So who knows?

HappyCanuck
02-18-2005, 07:57 PM

Dude, in the Marvel universe, its apparently very easy to steal a corpse. I mean just look at Colossus. He was creamated, and through the glory of retcons, his corpse was switched up with a different one. And nobody noticed. So who knows?

HEH!! THANK YOU!! I've been wondering that oops for the longest time!

And welcome to the asylum, Kitty! Mind your head, and beware cupboard critters...

varo
02-18-2005, 08:28 PM
wolverine #28 cover image,

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0502/18/wolverine28.htm

and btw sasquatch is on the cover of gla #2. now if any series should have been a comedy series.....

jay042
02-18-2005, 08:37 PM

You know, I wonder what the life of a funeral director in the Marvel Universe is like. I mean it must be quite disconcerting having repeat customers in that business.

*RING* Hello, Westchester county Funeral Home.

"Hello, this is the Xavier Insititute, we need to make arrangements for one of our departed staff"

"Whom is the departed?"

"Jean Grey"

"AGAIN? Didn't we just bury her six months ago?"

"Yes, but she got better"

"Yeah, and the time before that she burst into flames on the slab and set of the sprinkler system before she stormed off decaring she was going to go destroy the world or somesuch. Do you know how hard it is to dry out a wet corpse?"

"Well, we did prevent her from destroying the universe"

"Yeah, but I had seven grieving familes who I had to explain the need for closed casket funerals! Damn mutants! Can't even DIE like normal people!"

*CLICK*

KittyKaPow
02-19-2005, 01:40 PM
You know, I wonder what the life of a funeral director in the Marvel Universe is like. I mean it must be quite disconcerting having repeat customers in that business.

I think they just put up a sign in the morgue. "Departed Superheroes, free to a good home! Just leave behind any other replacement body, no questions asked."

Le Messor
02-19-2005, 10:13 PM
*Shrugs* I figure it's Gambit. Y'know, that guy who Millar has other plans for?

- Le Messor
"The cost for attending the Fasting and Prayer conference includes meals".
- church bulletin

cmdrkoenig67
02-20-2005, 02:03 PM
I think it's Northstar...compare the new NS costume to the Silhouette's outline....it certainly looks like him.

Dana

Ben
02-20-2005, 02:33 PM
I think it's Northstar...compare the new NS costume to the Silhouette's outline....it certainly looks like him.

Dana

yup, just look at the gloves, they way they are padded at the back, and the wrist bands...looks a lot like his...

Ben

cmdrkoenig67
02-20-2005, 05:26 PM
I picked 25 up...and I'll probably continue to follow the arc somewhat.

I have to say...Defunct, your description of what Wolverine did to Jean Paul is really misleading(gutting him quite thoroughly?....thoroughly impaled, is more like it)..LOL.

Dana

JohnnyCanuck
02-21-2005, 01:28 AM

I think they just put up a sign in the morgue. "Departed Superheroes, free to a good home! Just leave behind any other replacement body, no questions asked."

I would bet cemetaries in the marvel Universe have plots on a rental basis. You sign up for the first year then you are on monthly terms til your ressurection. Anyone requesting creamation gets put in the "back room" and their loved ones are given an Urn full of cremated cats from the vet.

Northstars Love
02-21-2005, 04:27 AM
I'm not surprised by the killing of Northstar. I love the guy *points to username* but IMO this was one way of getting rid of a character they could do nothing with because of his sexuality. They killed off Sunfire in Exiles last year right? Marvel would never show Northie in bed with a man since many of the readers are young and would in fact upset a big population of parents that object to such unions, thus in the end hurting book sales. Northstar just happens to be expendable because of his sexuality. I'm not saying Millar is a homophobe or anyone really but it makes you wonder what Marvel is thinking when they kill off two gay characters within a one year period. Guys, there is only a few gay characters in the MU as it is why are you eliminating them one by one? Hopefully they won't do this to Ultimate Colossus because even tho it hasn't been said it has been hinted that he's gay. :D

I firmly believe DC treats their gay characters better. I'm not the only one that believes this. Others have said the same thing to me. I remember Terry (Green Lantern's gay friend) getting beat up by some thugs because he was gay and Green Lantern beating the crap out of his attackers. I great moment and Judd Winick did a wonderful job.

I hope that is Northstar on the cover of 28. The hair is right but I'm not holding my breathe. Then again in the MU everyone gets resurrected. :roll:

Barnacle13
02-23-2005, 06:35 PM
[quote="Northstars Love"]I'm not surprised by the killing of Northstar. I love the guy *points to username* but IMO this was one way of getting rid of a character they could do nothing with because of his sexuality. They killed off Sunfire in Exiles last year right? Marvel would never show Northie in bed with a man since many of the readers are young and would in fact upset a big population of parents that object to such unions, thus in the end hurting book sales. Northstar just happens to be expendable because of his sexuality. :roll:[/quote

Sorry, I can't agree with you on this. I think there's plenty that could be done with Northstar. I don't think Marvel has to put him in bed with another man to show his sexuality. I am a parent and can assure you I'd rather my children learn about homosexuality from a story where Northstar walks down a beach holding hands and kissing his male partner than by witnessing a gay bashing in GL and then seeing the retaliation afterwards. Yeah that's probably a more real world depiction, but much more graphic. I'd much rather my children learn that some men love men, rather than some men hate men for loving men. Byrne was subtle in his hints, maybe too subtle for today's reader, but I wouldn't be offended if Northstar was shown on panel with his lover. I think the bed is a poor place to show the union, but then I feel the same way about a man and woman depicted in a comic that is read by children. Northstar's sexuality would make for some good stories and maybe give parents something to discuss with their kids. They could explore the hatred, but they should mostly focus on the beauty and love that are found in any loving relationship. Show that we're really not that different when it comes down to it. We're all people with feelings!

cmdrkoenig67
02-23-2005, 08:59 PM
well said, B. The depiction of a couple kissing, walking hand in hand, calling each other pet names(as long as it's a printable petname..LOL), etc...are the best ways to get the message across.

The recent Depiction of She-Hulk and the Juggernaut in bed after the "act" in one of the X-books(written by Austen, I don't recall who the artist was)...was really tasteless and unnecessary. Straight couples shouldn't be depicted that way...gay couples either....there is no need for it in a comic book(unless it's for mature readers, of course).

The Shulkie/Juggie moment was just plain irresponsiblity on the writer/artist and editor's parts.

Dana

kozzi24
02-24-2005, 10:42 AM
well said, B. The depiction of a couple kissing, walking hand in hand, calling each other pet names(as long as it's a printable petname..LOL), etc...are the best ways to get the message across.

The recent Depiction of She-Hulk and the Juggernaut in bed after the "act" in one of the X-books(written by Austen, I don't recall who the artist was)...was really tasteless and unnecessary. Straight couples shouldn't be depicted that way...gay couples either....there is no need for it in a comic book(unless it's for mature readers, of course).

The Shulkie/Juggie moment was just plain irresponsiblity on the writer/artist and editor's parts.

Dana

But it was controversial.
I almost thought Austen was trying to match the splash made by Hank and Jan in Avengers 75. Austen did say somewhere that his true north was more in lines with that story and his War Machine work. The guy likes to write about sex, and if that follows people who likes to talk about sex, he's probably pretty dang lonely.

cmdrkoenig67
02-24-2005, 02:56 PM
I almost thought Austen was trying to match the splash made by Hank and Jan in Avengers 75. Austen did say somewhere that his true north was more in lines with that story and his War Machine work. The guy likes to write about sex, and if that follows people who likes to talk about sex, he's probably pretty dang lonely.

Ah yes....The Hank travelling to Jan's special places bit......that doesn't belong in a comic book either.....eeek! That is just wrong on so many levels.

Dana

kozzi24
02-24-2005, 03:29 PM

Ah yes....The Hank travelling to Jan's special places bit......that doesn't belong in a comic book either.....eeek! That is just wrong on so many levels.

Dana
I agree. There's something wrong when all the relatively obvious applications of super powers to perversion that occur to just about everybody start getting put into the published books.
She Hulk and Jugs was tame in comparison, tho I have to admit that I just would have prefered the scene to be talked around a bit more, not avoided. In a lot of ways, it made sense to me.

Barnacle13
02-24-2005, 06:01 PM
I don't think two people showing up on panel in a bed together is necessarily damaging to children either. My kids see me lying in bed with my wife pretty often. I'm sure in their innocent minds we're just sleeping, though I have to admit a spark does still exist after 12 years. It's a matter of how suggestive the panel is. Adults don't need a whole lot to send their minds right into the gutter. Naivety doesn't exist in most of us, so even the slightest suggestion registers with us. For a child that's a bit different. If they want to believe that the neighbor's dog is wrestling with mine, who am I too ruin their world. They'll learn it soon enough! We'll be discussing birds and bees soon enough!

SephirothsKiller
02-24-2005, 07:45 PM
didn't elektra have a lesbian friend?

Ben
02-25-2005, 12:28 AM
ComiX-Fan has a new interview with Mark Millar up: http://www.comixfan.com/xfan/forums/showthread.php?t=32486

Not much new said, BUT, look at these teaser pics from wolvie #26:

http://forum.alphaflight.net/album_pic.php?pic_id=279
http://forum.alphaflight.net/album_pic.php?pic_id=280
http://forum.alphaflight.net/album_pic.php?pic_id=281
http://forum.alphaflight.net/album_pic.php?pic_id=282

Ben

HappyCanuck
02-25-2005, 02:35 AM
no idea since it's saying the page is FORBIDDEN (m'thinks you have to be a member to actually see the so-called pics)

Ben
02-25-2005, 04:46 AM
you just gotta make everything difficult, eh Allan? ;) New links, now in the Album.

Ben

Mokole
02-25-2005, 05:44 PM
The text says that the guy with the sword whacking all the ninjas is a mutant but his look can turn people to stone, hence the blindfold. He's proving to the Hand that he doesn't need to use his mutant power to win. He can turn people to stone using his vision but chooses not too. A guy from Dawn of the White Light, maybe??

Ben
02-26-2005, 01:23 AM
The text says that the guy with the sword whacking all the ninjas is a mutant but his look can turn people to stone, hence the blindfold. He's proving to the Hand that he doesn't need to use his mutant power to win. He can turn people to stone using his vision but chooses not too. A guy from Dawn of the White Light, maybe??

Crud, that's what I get for not paying attention, that would be that Gorgon fellow. :oops: Hey, is that pie? [Ben runs away]

Ben

Phil
02-26-2005, 12:40 PM
Hey, is that pie?

Nope, it's pudding.....

Mokole
02-26-2005, 02:43 PM
Hey, there's always room for cake, I always say! :-&

Maybe Ben you are coy enough to let us in on a secret about volume 4?? O:)

varo
02-27-2005, 10:35 AM
from quesada's boards on wolverine #26

Northstar. Not so dead. The hand do have a hand in resurrecting him.

varo
02-27-2005, 11:11 AM
btw someone over there said something along the lines of millar having a interview over here (great job ben) and that millar thought this was a cool site (good maybe he can write a ongoing vol. 4 :lol: ) anyways the poster was disapointed when he read the interview at ALPHA FLIGHT.NET and the first question was about northstar......

:shock:

should the first question at a ALPHA FLIGHT site be about the the ultimates?

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

HappyCanuck
02-27-2005, 11:49 AM
anyways the poster was disapointed when he read the interview at ALPHA FLIGHT.NET and the first question was about northstar......

:shock: Y'mean.... This isn't the Ultimates' forum?! :shock:

Okay, sarcasm aside, what did they expect?! Why ELSE would we care who got skewered in Wolverine?!

Ben
02-27-2005, 10:55 PM
btw someone over there said something along the lines of millar having a interview over here (great job ben) and that millar thought this was a cool site (good maybe he can write a ongoing vol. 4 :lol: ) anyways the poster was disapointed when he read the interview at ALPHA FLIGHT.NET and the first question was about northstar......

:shock:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Takes all kinds...especially consering the reason for the interview was Northstar's death :roll: Oh well, other than that, had lots of good feedback :D

Ben

varo
02-27-2005, 11:25 PM
o ya ben, i have ready many positive things about the site and these forums. pretty cool stuff that your work is getting the recignition it deserves.

now maybe marvel will take notice and launch series 4!!!!

unless they already have plans to and your just not telling........

CONSPIRACY!!!!

Le Messor
03-05-2005, 10:26 PM
It occurs that Millar has killed JP not once, but twice - X-Men and Ultimate X-Men (that was Millar, wasn't it?).

As to the gay thing - in Runaways, it's long been hinted, strongly, that Karolina (the alien one) is gay.

- Le Messor
"If you misuse that word one more time!"
- Karolina (the word being gay, of course)

Ben
03-06-2005, 03:44 AM
It occurs that Millar has killed JP not once, but twice - X-Men and Ultimate X-Men (that was Millar, wasn't it?).

Nope, that wasn't Millar. I'd give you the writer's name, but that means digging through comic boxes...and I don't have it in me at the moment. Anyway, I do believe he didn't actually die in that.

Ben

Phil
03-06-2005, 07:14 AM
That was Brian K Vaughn, and he was most definitely still alive.

Mokole
03-06-2005, 08:03 PM
Correct, he fell, and a guy like Northstar, even in Ultimate universe, could easily survive a fall even if he can't fly.

Le Messor
03-12-2005, 08:22 PM
I thought he got shot, point blank range.

- Le Messor
"Courage is fear that has said its prayers."

Phil
03-12-2005, 10:42 PM
He used his powers and sped out of the way, and was alive and well talking to Jean Grey in the next issue.