PDA

View Full Version : frank tieri talks alpha

varo
03-08-2005, 12:33 PM
ft has moved his home from x-fan to a site called paperfilms and i have been trying to keep up with the weapon x mini because frank is one of the rare writers that keeps his fans informed through his boards.

anyways a thread came up about what frank should do next . so what do you think i said? :D

QUOTE(varo @ Feb 7 2005, 02:56 PM)
alpha flight.
you know how to write these characters and after the way they were handled in this last series somone must redeem them.

Another Alpha Flight. What to know the best part? I actually do have a story in mind-- one which would involve seeds I planted in Wolverine when I had them appear

Chew on that a bit, Alphafiles

and then someone else said af also and here was his response:

That is the BEST idea that i have heard in a long time!!! The Alphans need a proper re-introduction and FT, you are the man that can do it!!! How about one final Hooray for the Canadian super-heroes, give them a grand story and kill a handful of them off at the end, something GRAND!!! p.s. i am Canadian!!!

Barnsey

Another Alpha Flight

And trust me, pal, what I have in mind would be GRAND with a capital G

btw the link to those forums: http://www.paperfilms.invisionzone.com/index.php?act=idx

varo
03-08-2005, 12:36 PM
btw if anyone is familiar w/ af's appearance in wolverine when frank was writing them maybe they can shed some light.

varo
03-08-2005, 12:41 PM
woops. should have posted this one. kinda of important:

Another set of votes for Wolverine, Agent Zero (Maverick) and Alpha Flight. And you hit the nail right on the head why Alpha isn't a possibility right now, Whiskeyclone-- too soon. Although, I will say this, Alpha fans will want to check out Weapon X: Days of Future NOW as we will see a few of the old gang along for the ride

cmdrkoenig67
03-08-2005, 12:45 PM
Somebody also posted that he should give AF a last hurrah and kill a bunch of them off...I had to respond to that.

Dana

Ben
03-08-2005, 02:39 PM
hmmm, good news there possibly! Gonna move this thread to Alpha News :D

Ben

PWalk
03-08-2005, 04:22 PM
And you all thought I was nuts in suggesting a massacre upon relaunch.

tsk tsk :D

Great minds think alike. :idea:

Mokole
03-08-2005, 05:57 PM
Well, hope springs eternal. Maybe FT will go for it, hmmm?

seroquel
03-08-2005, 07:54 PM
do they really have to kill characters we haven't effectively seen for 10 years? but by all means write a quality story for them :) and hurt them all you want.

varo
03-08-2005, 09:15 PM
btw if anyone is familiar w/ af's appearance in wolverine when frank was writing them maybe they can shed some light.

?

Ben
03-08-2005, 09:55 PM

?

I'll have to sift through my wolvie appearances to see which FT wrote, dunno off hand. If somone knows before I get a chance to do so, feel free to pipe up ;)

Ben

cmdrkoenig67
03-09-2005, 12:10 AM
What is it that needs light shed upon? How he handled them?

What I can tell you from memory...It was the original AF together(sans Northstar)teaming up with Wolverine(of course..it being his book and all).

The issues featured the Wendigo and Snowbird's family, the gods of the north(who the villain of the piece, Jean Pierre Mauvais...was an old enemy of). Tieri also attempted to put a fix on why Snowbird was resurrected...the gods of the north make mention that she would not be back among the living, if they had not wished it so...or if they didn't orchestrate it...or something to that effect.

Overall...I thought he did a great job with them.

Dana

Ben
03-09-2005, 12:29 AM
What is it that needs light shed upon? How he handled them?

What I can tell you from memory...It was the original AF together(sans Northstar)teaming up with Wolverine(of course..it being his book and all).

The issues featured the Wendigo and Snowbird's family, the gods of the north(who the villain of the piece, Jean Pierre Mauvais...was an old enemy of). Tieri also attempted to put a fix on why Snowbird was resurrected...the gods of the north make mention that she would not be back among the living, if they had not wished it so...or if they didn't orchestrate it...or something to that effect.

Overall...I thought he did a great job with them.

Dana

ahhh, yes, the Mauvais storyline...I really enjoyed that! Great art too. That would be a super combo to see head an AF mini fixing things up after the ending of v.3

Ben

varo
03-09-2005, 12:31 AM
not sure a mini could fix version 3.

maybe a maxi. :lol:

maniac mike
03-09-2005, 01:21 AM
Maybe Frank has a story line about the Gods of the North and the Great Beasts that will eventually spill out into Canada and the rest of the world.

MM :-$

PWalk
03-09-2005, 09:49 AM
Maybe Frank has a story line about the Gods of the North and the Great Beasts that will eventually spill out into Canada and the rest of the world.

MM :-$

I can see Tundra now in Central Park wrecking havoc to the Big Apple.

Adam
03-09-2005, 04:52 PM

That's really the type of storyline I'd like to see. I always enjoyed the Great Beast storylines and such a massive and powerful conflict centred in Canada really gave the team a sense of purpose (more so than fighting wax museum dummies at least).

Personally, I always thought Alpha was an interesting team because it was this mix of technology (Mac, Heather, Box) and magic (Snowbird, Shaman) with some interesting mixes of the two (like how Sasquatch's origin went from a Hulk rip into the Tanaraq story). So I'd love to see someone return to that style of storytelling.

(and thus I return from a long lapse into lurkingness)

cmdrkoenig67
03-09-2005, 05:42 PM
Adam...we'd love for you to stay and continue to talk about AF with us, if you so wish...no need to to only lurk.

You've made some great points about AF (magic and technology and the mixing of the two)...I'd like to see a return to those types of stories too...it Made AF vol. 1 very unique among Marvel's other comics...and it certainly kept things interesting.

Dana

Ben
03-09-2005, 05:48 PM
I think that's why Teri captured it so well, he got that combo right. This is also one reason I think AF eventually lost many readers. Though I quite liked Furman's run, his stories were either strictly magical, or not at all, he didn't combine the elements. He did handle the magic side much better than some of the previous writers however.

Ben

Adam
03-09-2005, 07:29 PM
Adam...we'd love for you to stay and continue to talk about AF with us, if you so wish...no need to to only lurk.

Oh I never really left, but thanks for the kind words.

...and Ben I agree that's what Tieri did really well. There's this mythology of gods that was established very early on in Vol 1 but it was never really explored as well as it could have been.

PWalk
03-10-2005, 01:28 PM
[quote=cmdrkoenig67]...and Ben I agree that's what Tieri did really well. There's this mythology of gods that was established very early on in Vol 1 but it was never really explored as well as it could have been.

Thats an understatement. The mythology angle was built up so well and then ignored while writers tried to make the team more mainstream.

Garry/Al-Fan
03-21-2005, 08:31 PM
do they really have to kill characters we haven't effectively seen for 10 years? but by all means write a quality story for them :) and hurt them all you want.

No volume 4. No originals reestablishing themselves as the premiere guardians of Canada, just plot-bait. No creative way to boost interest and readership. Let's hope that bumping them off isn't the only thing left to do.

maniac mike
06-10-2005, 02:40 PM
Matt Brady over at Newsarama has an interview with Frank Tieri about the Weapon X : Days Of Future Now limited-series with some interior artwork. :D

Here's the link...

http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?s=a3791f1934c26a6683988e9847d65ad9&threadid=35632

MM

rplass
06-10-2005, 10:12 PM
Well in the interior art, we can clearly see a generously bosomed Aurora and a great rendition of the new Nosferatu/Wild Child. I'll definitely be picking up this series just for the generous bosoms. Whoo hoo! I just hope she doesn't get the living crap beat out of her again... and again... This will be the 1st Aurora appearance in continuity since the Jun 2004 publication of issue #22 of the previous series and the 1st Wild Child appearance since the Aug 2004 publication of issue #25.

Love,
rplass

Legerd
06-11-2005, 12:41 AM
I just want to know why she's back with the Director. The last I saw she dumped him (literally) along with Madison, who by the way is missing from the scene. (Anyone else worried?) :(

cmdrkoenig67
06-11-2005, 02:54 AM
There's something really off about two of those scenes....

Mesmero was sent to the Neverland Deathcamp(I doubt he'd work with the man that sent him there...Malcolm Colcord/the Director), Sabretooth quit and escaped(not to mention, he'd probably gut the Director, if he had the chance), Aurora wouldn't be likely to hang out with the big D again and she certainly wouldn't be caught anywhere near Sabretooth after what he did to her. Deadpool doesn't care much for the Director either....Like I said...something is off here.

The second panel: The remaining members(Agent Zero,Sauron, Wild Child, Chamber and Agent what's-his-face...LOL...I'm drawing a blank on his name at the moment), when the Director(and Jeffries) was ousted. This pic seems fine.

Third panel: I also doubt Fantomex would ally himself with Sublime...another weird and off image.

Dana

Ben
06-11-2005, 03:55 AM
There's something really off about two of those scenes....

Mesmero was sent to the Neverland Deathcamp(I doubt he'd work with the man that sent him there...Malcolm Colcord/the Director), Sabretooth quit and escaped(not to mention, he'd probably gut the Director, if he had the chance), Aurora wouldn't be likely to hang out with the big D again and she certainly wouldn't be caught anywhere near Sabretooth after what he did to her. Deadpool doesn't care much for the Director either....Like I said...something is off here.

The second panel: The remaining members(Agent Zero,Sauron, Wild Child, Chamber and Agent what's-his-face...LOL...I'm drawing a blank on his name at the moment), when the Director(and Jeffries) was ousted. This pic seems fine.

Third panel: I also doubt Fantomex would ally himself with Sublime...another weird and off image.

Dana

Well, the whole mini seems to be cast in the future, so who knows what water has passed under what bridges since we last saw the characters. The words will help fill in the blanks, and give us reason to complain, or reason to applaud :)

Ben

cmdrkoenig67
06-11-2005, 02:27 PM
I thought the mini takes place only a year into the future?

Dana

Mokole
06-11-2005, 08:15 PM
Nope, it starts a year into the future but soon fast-forwards 10 years, possibly 10 years an issue.

Mokole
06-11-2005, 08:39 PM
Can anyone ask him if he's really going to try and write Alpha Flight? I really have no need to register there, I've got to keep my e-mail as spam free as I can. :)

cmdrkoenig67
06-12-2005, 10:41 PM
It's already been asked...he said he might be interested in a mini...I think that was about it. He does seem to love the original team(and would very possibly use them)...so you probably wouldn't like it, Mokole.

Dana

varo
06-13-2005, 03:36 PM
i asked him over at his old boards and he said he had a huge idea for alpha that has been rattling around in his head for a while, but no way another series would be launched this close to the last being cancelled.

Mokole
06-13-2005, 06:44 PM
Weird, given that She-Hulk has undergone 2 'relaunches' since AF was around... :roll:

cmdrkoenig67
06-14-2005, 02:01 AM
...And that Runaways book too....oh and Excalibur is being relaunched almost on the tail of the other's cancellation. I think Joke Quesada just hates AF...or something....yeah...I bet that's it.

Dana

cmdrkoenig67
06-15-2005, 02:16 AM
Shouldn't this thread be in the Alpha Talk section? I mean...it's about the possibility of Alpha being done by Frank Tieri....it's talk about Alpha...see...LOL.

Anyway...I posted more in the "What should FT do next?" thread over at the Paper Films board.

Dana

Ben
06-15-2005, 03:33 AM
Shouldn't this thread be in the Alpha Talk section? I mean...it's about the possibility of Alpha being done by Frank Tieri....it's talk about Alpha...see...LOL.

Anyway...I posted more in the "What should FT do next?" thread over at the Paper Films board.

Dana

Meh, it's discussion based on news, it's all good :D

Ben