PDA

View Full Version : So He Returns (WHO does?)

DelBubs
03-23-2005, 03:06 PM
Come Saturday, we get to see the all new 'Doctor Who'. Now I'm not sure how many of you are Doc fans, but personally I'm not sure about this. The Doctor has always prided himself on dodgy sets and dodgy special effects. This new version looks like it's going to be proper with laser lights and the full nine yards when it comes to effects. Part of the magic of progs like 'Doctor Who', 'Blakes 7' and 'Prisoner Cell Block H' was trying to see the string and watching sets shudder if a door closed to harshly.

Still any programme that has 'Billie Piper' kicking alien arse can't be all bad, so I'll watch the first few episodes and see what happens.

PWalk
03-23-2005, 05:04 PM
Thats the magic of Dr. Who. Low budget camp with a really good story and far out costumes. From what I've seen of the new series it looks like we maybe in for a ride. I'll watch it.

Legerd
03-24-2005, 06:15 PM
That's what I remember of the show, bad sets and worse costumes but somehow I loved watching it. Can't wait for it to come on over here. Who's your favourite Doctor? Mine was Tom Baker.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/Legerd/TomBaker.jpg

syvalois
03-24-2005, 07:01 PM
Well, at that time, i did not understood much, but I liked whatching the blond guy in a kind of cricket outfit. I really have to put inphasis on watching, plus I liked the phone booth.

So Happy easter everyone. It's nice to be on strike at school, so I've got more time to celebrate.

beetleblack
03-28-2005, 09:27 AM
The blond guy in the cricket outfit was Peter Davison and he was the fifth incarnation of the Doctor. He was actually my favourite as at the time Tom Baker used to scare me (hey, I was young!).

I watched the NEW show and have to say that I thought it was great. First episodes are always tricky but I felt it helped to set up the relationship between the Doctor and Rose (Billie Piper) very well.

I just wish they'd added lyrics to the end credits and gotten Billie to sing it (a la Anita Dobson with "Anyone Can Fall in Love" sung to the theme tune of EastEnders - anyone remember that??? :lol: ).

PWalk
03-28-2005, 11:03 AM
That's what I remember of the show, bad sets and worse costumes but somehow I loved watching it. Can't wait for it to come on over here. Who's your favourite Doctor? Mine was Tom Baker.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/Legerd/TomBaker.jpg

Tom Baker is Dr. Who to me. But the gentlemen that played the Dr. before him was good as well.

Mokole
03-29-2005, 12:25 AM
Tom Baker for me too, he was the Doctor when I saw the show. I've seen a commercial for the new show, awfully glitzy and full of special effects. It was the writing and acting that made DR. Who work, not the effects. :o

Legerd
03-30-2005, 07:04 AM
Tom Baker is Dr. Who to me. But the gentlemen that played the Dr. before him was good as well.

You're refering to John Pertwee. Yeah, I liked him too.

DelBubs
04-02-2005, 08:43 AM
The blond guy in the cricket outfit was Peter Davison and he was the fifth incarnation of the Doctor. He was actually my favourite as at the time Tom Baker used to scare me (hey, I was young!).

I watched the NEW show and have to say that I thought it was great. First episodes are always tricky but I felt it helped to set up the relationship between the Doctor and Rose (Billie Piper) very well.

I just wish they'd added lyrics to the end credits and gotten Billie to sing it (a la Anita Dobson with "Anyone Can Fall in Love" sung to the theme tune of EastEnders - anyone remember that??? :lol: ).
I wrote about te bloody thing and then never got around to watching it. Went and played snooker instead :-) However, people I have spoken to have said that it wasn't bad at all, so I'll take a look tonight.

As regards my fave Doctor, I guess I'm going with the majority and will say Tom Baker, although I do have fond memories of the Pewtree era. Strange thing is, Chris Ecclestone has said he won't do a second series as he doesn't want to be typecast, so they've had to go back to the sets and re-shoot a few scenes. Guess it would have been more professional of the man to mention the fact to the Beeb, but he is an actor'e, so they are allowed to mess about.

As for anita Dobson and the theme to Eastenders, i've spent years trying to forget it :cry:

Le Messor
04-03-2005, 01:21 AM
John Pertwee's always been my fave. Leela's my fave assistant (though I recently did a quiz that gave me Liz, on of the first).

Oh, and all I know about Anita Dobson is that she's Brian May's gf.

- Le Messor
"Crime wouldn’t pay, if the government ran it."

DelBubs
04-03-2005, 10:30 AM
John Pertwee's always been my fave. Leela's my fave assistant (though I recently did a quiz that gave me Liz, on of the first).

Oh, and all I know about Anita Dobson is that she's Brian May's gf.

- Le Messor
"Crime wouldn’t pay, if the government ran it."
Re : Leela, any lady who wears as few clothes as she did gets a big plus on my faves list :-) anita Dobson is Brian Mays girlfriend, or was, not sure of the state of play at present. I will say however that he had the better mullet (http://www.mulletsgalore.com) than she did.

As regards the new series, watched last nights episode and was well impressed, effects are good, but still have that tacky feel about them, Ecclestone obviously enjoys playing the role and has a good rapport with Billie Piper who isn't as bad an actress as I thought she'd be.

ladymako71
04-03-2005, 11:20 AM
I wanna see new Doctor WHO stuff... <=( My sister was terrified of the Darlex when she was younger...my dad would sit there and hear her creeping around at night after she was SUPPOSED to be in bed and do the "Darlex! Exterminate!" thing...drove her nuts.

As for faves, it's a toss up between Peter Davison and Tom Baker...core I haven't seen that in decades... =p

Legerd
04-05-2005, 11:09 PM
I just caught the show and it was good! =D> It captured the campiness of the old series and was very reminiscent of the Tom Baker era. Even the opening was the same. :D
Here's hoping the series survives the departure of Christopher Eccleston when the first season is done.

jay042
04-06-2005, 11:02 AM
Quite agreed on that.The new Who is looking fabulous and I'm looking forward to it's future.