PDA

View Full Version : Northstar's new look in AoA

rplass
04-09-2005, 02:21 PM
What is up with the new AoA Northstar look :shock: ? It's bad enough he got killed three times in the same month. Bald, tatooed head, grey skin... I think he's going to the same stylist as Wild Child! There's no explanation why AoA Aurora is unchanged or why his eyes switch colors from blue to red at will. I like their new costumes, though. I also notice the smokey flames that trail Northstar's flight in some of the panels. That fire thing could get messy, or be an awesome flaming weapon in battle.

Oh well, we won't have 'ol AoA Jean-BALD Beaubier to knock around anymore anyway.

Love,
rplass

kozzi24
04-11-2005, 11:30 PM
Northstar with a flaming weapon?

Ummm...

Ben
04-12-2005, 12:36 AM
Well, my understanding is that any character that looks vastly altered was experimented on by Sinister, perhaps JP was too. I don't mine the look, I'm a fan of tattoos :)

Ben

syvalois
04-12-2005, 01:13 AM
can we have a preview?

Ben
04-12-2005, 01:24 AM
Ask and ye shall recieve: (click the thumnail for a full sized pic)

http://www.alphaflight.net/character_galleries/northstar/thumb_northstar_gallery24.jpg (http://www.alphaflight.net/character_galleries/northstar/northstar_gallery24.jpg)

Ben

kozzi24
04-12-2005, 12:11 PM
He has red eyes...must be a lost summers brother in AoA!

ladymako71
04-12-2005, 02:16 PM
Well, my understanding is that any character that looks vastly altered was experimented on by Sinister, perhaps JP was too. I don't mine the look, I'm a fan of tattoos :)

You? A tattoo fan? nahhhhhhhhhhh... =p

JP flaming huh...nope, won't do it...can't....does anyway *falls over laughing*

syvalois
04-12-2005, 09:01 PM
I thought it was Mr. Sinister at first. As for Wolvie question, I've got the answer in my head so fast, I wonder why Wolvie said it... He should know better than to ask that to JP :twisted:

What a stupid Question

rplass
04-12-2005, 09:19 PM
Wow I really didn't think about the whole "flaming" thing when I posted that... I assure you it was fully unintentional and was in no way a reference to JP's sexual orientation :roll: .

In response to kozzi24, there are some panels where JP's eyes are colored blue. Possibilities are: he can change his eye color at will, it was a coloring error, or his eyes were shown red to express moments of extreme rage :evil: .

Love,
rplass

kozzi24
04-13-2005, 02:55 PM
Wow I really didn't think about the whole "flaming" thing when I posted that... I assure you it was fully unintentional and was in no way a reference to JP's sexual orientation :roll: .

Love,
rplass

I don't think anyone took offense. I have too much of a sense of humor and not enough tact to avoid kicking at that door you left ajar.

Le Messor
04-17-2005, 12:58 AM
Looks nothing like him!

Hey, how come all my posts today are about Northstar?

- Le Messor
"For three lost, damnèd days, our boat of the damned travelled up the river, carrying thirteen souls, all damned. Then we could go no further, for the river was dammed."

rplass
04-17-2005, 09:29 AM
You keep posting about him because Northstar is the man!

2005 releases excluding AF Vol. 3

Wolverine 25 26 (Northstar in both)
Xmen 164 (Northstar)
Xmen The End Bk1 6 (Northstar)
Xmen The End Bk2 1 (Northstar)
Xmen:AoA 2 (Northstar, Aurora)
Xmen AoA os (Wild Child)
New Mutants:X 10 (Northstar)
OHOTMU: AoA (Wild Child)
Sabretooth 4 (Sasquatch)

So Northstar is winning with 7 appearances through April 2005.
That's why you are posting about him. He's the man!

Love,
rplass

Weapon Omega
04-20-2005, 01:26 AM
I've been out of the loop for awhile. Could someone tell me how Northstar could die multiple times in one month. (Man! Maybe the Alpha characters are cursed!)

Legerd
04-20-2005, 01:35 AM
I've been out of the loop for awhile. Could someone tell me how Northstar could die multiple times in one month. (Man! Maybe the Alpha characters are cursed!)

No, just horribly immortal.

rplass
04-21-2005, 08:41 PM
One death (Wolverine vol.2 #25) was in the 616 continuity, the regular Marvel world. Another death was in the Age of Apocalypse (X-Men: Age of Apocalypse #2) continuity, and the third was in X-Men The End: Book 2 #2, which is in an alternate future continuity.

So he didn't actually die, get resurrected, die, get resurrected, die. Although give Marvel a chance...

For details on some of what's going on in 2005, go to this page on my new website:
http://www.geocities.com/rplass/afcollector/alpha.htm and use the "Find" function on your browser for "2005" and these issues ought to pop up.

Love,
rplass

Weapon Omega
04-22-2005, 03:53 PM
rplass:

Thanks for the website, I'll definately check it out. It's a shame Alpha characters are getting the short end of the stick lately!!

Take care Alpha-Fans!

rplass
04-22-2005, 08:44 PM
Oh, Aurora got killed too in the X-Men: Age of Apocalypse #2 issue, after getting her hand chopped off.

Also, in the Sabretooth Limited Series, Sasquatch gets mortally wounded, left in a bloody puddle in the snow. It isn't clear if he's dead, probably not because he's on the cover of G.L.A. #2, but he sure got ripped up bad.

Let's see, what else, oh, in the X-Men: Age of Apocalypse "one shot" issue, Wild Child gets brutally attacked for 3 straight days and nights locked in a prison cell with Sabretooth.

It's been a rough year for Alpha Flight! I never really noticed how rough it has been until you pointed it out to me. I've just been happy to see ANY Alpha Flight character appear in ANY comic book at all after the news of cancellation.

Love,
rplass

Weapon Omega
04-22-2005, 11:15 PM
Is it me or is Marvel cementing the concept that Wild Child is nothing more than "Sabretooth-Lite"!?? (Three days AND nights, POOR KYLE!!)

But I know what you mean 'R'....At least SOME Alphans are getting appearances in other Marvel titles. Although recently, they're usually DYING!!!

Alpha was a great book with great characters and a loyal, passionate fan-base! It's sad to see them be treated this way!

Garry/Al-Fan
04-23-2005, 03:38 PM
Oh, Aurora got killed too in the X-Men: Age of Apocalypse #2 issue, after getting her hand chopped off.

Also, in the Sabretooth Limited Series, Sasquatch gets mortally wounded, left in a bloody puddle in the snow. It isn't clear if he's dead, probably not because he's on the cover of G.L.A. #2, but he sure got ripped up bad.

Let's see, what else, oh, in the X-Men: Age of Apocalypse "one shot" issue, Wild Child gets brutally attacked for 3 straight days and nights locked in a prison cell with Sabretooth.

It's been a rough year for Alpha Flight! I never really noticed how rough it has been until you pointed it out to me. ...rplass

It's sad what I've been reading about Alpha Flight.

Since I don't buy many comics anymore, my suspicions are confirmed by those who do. I've suspected that MARVEL wanted to kill off the original members of Alpha Flight, and (prompted by Mac's death) started with Marrina. Now they've done in the twins and (some version of) Sasquatch, of all characters. [Full disclosure: I glanced at the Sabertooth/Sasquatch issue but found no reason to buy it. I haven't seen Aurora's dismemberment/death, although I picked up Weapon X# 22 where her face is messed up after an earlier beating by Director X (another issue I don't have)]. I don't even want to know who's going to be next. This kind of stuff is pushing me back out of the MARVEL buying-appreciation camp.

Back in the day, making the comic book sell well on the newstand was not achieved (by changing the creative staff).

Changing the membership didn't help the direct-sales-only series.

Continuing to publish the series monthly when the book was directionless
didn't satisfy the readers who had experienced a solidly-executed book in the past.

Creating new characters didn't create a larger readership.

I don't understand what MARVEL expected/expects to gain from acquiring/exploiting characters that it does not respect, but it looks like killing them off is what is in store for the original members of Alpha Flight.

Garry R. Jones

Legerd
04-23-2005, 05:11 PM
It's sad what I've been reading about Alpha Flight.

Since I don't buy many comics anymore, my suspicions are confirmed by those who do. I've suspected that MARVEL wanted to kill off the original members of Alpha Flight, and (prompted by Mac's death) started with Marrina. Now they've done in the twins and (some version of) Sasquatch, of all characters. [Full disclosure: I glanced at the Sabertooth/Sasquatch issue but found no reason to buy it. I haven't seen Aurora's dismemberment/death, although I picked up Weapon X# 22 where her face is messed up after an earlier beating by Director X (another issue I don't have)]. I don't even want to know who's going to be next. This kind of stuff is pushing me back out of the MARVEL buying-appreciation camp.

Aurora isn't dead in the regular Marvel continuity (yet), her death came in the Age of Apocolypse mini along with Northstar's. In regular con NS was kllled by Wolverine and ressurected by the Hand/Hydra, so technically I guess he's alive. And, like Wolverine, there's a chance that he can be deprogrammed.

Hopefully TPTB at Marvel will pull their collective heads out of their cabooses and start pumping out quality work, instead of the flashy rehash garbage they are now. ](*,) Maybe they will figure out one day soon they don't need new characters, rather they need to use the current characters in new ways. I might be wrong but that's my two cents.

Garry/Al-Fan
04-25-2005, 12:58 PM
I'm trying to hang in there with Alpha Flight, but what's happening is making it difficult for me. I remember Aurora saving a little boy during the Ranark story, competently despite having her personality disorder. I remember Northstar sticking his neck out time and time again, even if was just to protect his sister, from UXM# 121 well into AF's own series. I remember Sasquatch facing some of the roughest, toughest, battle-tested folks ever (The HULK and The THING)...and didn't do a shabby job of it. But now, they are being killed off? Even if it's in some alternate time/universe/whatever?

I don't know if what MARVEL is publishing is the real ALPHA FLIGHT---or even real heroes, anymore.

I guess I'll have to be content to re-read the stories I like. Oh well...

Ben
04-25-2005, 01:49 PM
I'm trying to hang in there with Alpha Flight, but what's happening is making it difficult for me. I remember Aurora saving a little boy during the Ranark story, competently despite having her personality disorder. I remember Northstar sticking his neck out time and time again, even if was just to protect his sister, from UXM# 121 well into AF's own series. I remember Sasquatch facing some of the roughest, toughest, battle-tested folks ever (The HULK and The THING)...and didn't do a shabby job of it. But now, they are being killed off? Even if it's in some alternate time/universe/whatever?

I don't know if what MARVEL is publishing is the real ALPHA FLIGHT---or even real heroes, anymore.

I guess I'll have to be content to re-read the stories I like. Oh well...

Well, to be fair, in X-Men Then End, Northstar died as a hero. He took the brunt of an explosion, saving Cyclops. Also, that story, more than just NS has died, X-Men have been dropping like flies, after all, the premiss of the story IS the end of the X-Men.

In AOA, NS and Aurora were killed by Wolverine and his "Daughter". The X-Men in this time line are basically hunting down and eliminating agents of Apocalypse, which NS and Aurora both were. Also, some other very large name (non AF) characters have been getting knocked off there.

Sasquatch's injuries in Sabertooth were severe, but as Sabs put it himself, he would be fine if the boat arrived in time, and they showed the boat arriving at the end of the book. In that book, he was treated really well. He was tough, strong, and really was more of a character in the book than Sabertooth was, this was very good treatment. He got injured by Windigo, and heck, the X-Men and AF together had a tough time with him!

Northstar's "Death" in Wolverine was no death at all, he was an un-used character that Millar though had some potential, and would drive sales up by using him the way he did...and it worked. Lots of attention was gotten, and lots of people got the book to see what all the talk was about NS dying. Sure, he was back the next issue, but people took notice.

I don't think that in general AF has been treated all that badly in recent years. They are treated with more respect now than Bill Mantlo showed the classic characters when he was writing them. Frank Terri has done some cool things with Characterization in Weapon X.

Comic books have changed. The heroes are no longer untouchable. They are mortal, and can die. It's the way the medium has evolved. The fan-base is older, and in such, they aren't going to be satisfied by the heroes that win every time, never get hurt, and always triumph over any odds. AF characters have evolved with this trend.

Ben

HappyCanuck
04-25-2005, 01:56 PM
AF characters have evolved with this trend.

Ben

Hell, I'd hazard to say they pretty much STARTED this trend...

Garry/Al-Fan
04-27-2005, 12:01 PM
I can accept that comics have changed. I can accept that comic characters can die (I could accept James Hudson's death even though I didn't like how rushed he got done in---that's a different, not terribly important subject because from a plot-continuity standpoint it worked to bring in the "Dark Guardian" storyline). I accept, believe, and am glad that NORTHSTAR's death was heroic (even though I, myself haven't read it) in X-MEN: THE END.

What I have a hard time with is if MARVEL did NORTHSTAR's death decently and right, why kill off the character two more times? That just seems counter-productive to me, especially to the story where it was done well.

Me talking about the Sasquatch-Sabretooth story is ridiculous. What I consider to be "Sasquatch" may not even be remotely resembling what version of the character appeared in the Sabretooth mini-series. I'll take Ben's word on the treatment, but I have to stand by my assessment: faced with a choice of paying bills and splurging on a comic I might not enjoy, not enough there for me to buy it.

MARVEL seems to have gotten what it wanted from "Northstar's 'Death' in Wolverine." 'Nuff said.

Most of my favorite stories have heroes/superheroes facing menaces that most regular folks couldn't deal with. Sometimes they won, sometimes they just thwarted the threat (and that was a major achievement), and sometimes they lost. They didn't always win despite the odds. The example that comes most often to mind is HULK Annual # 8: Walter found out the hard way that "Sasquatch" (with finite power) isn't as strong as The HULK (with potentially infinite power); Walt made one (major) miscalculation, but because of the superior way the story was told, Walt's credentials as a bonafide Canadian hero were never in doubt.
This is the type of storytelling that I miss, but if TPTB are still doing it like that, let me know.

I'm not totally done, but if MARVEL starts bumping off Shaman and Judd and Talisman and Snowbird (again), I will be.

DarkSnowbird
04-28-2005, 03:09 AM
Remember the good old days where comics weren't so expensive. And character actually didn't cheat with g/f and b/f as bad and the characters were likeable.

kozzi24
04-28-2005, 11:41 AM
This Hand-ressurection thing may be a good long-term thing for Northstar. His fighting ability will be increased with martial arts. In the future, instead of hitting hundreds of times per second, he should have more knowledge of pressure points and leverage. He only has to strike once, and should still be able to do it with superspeed.

Garry/Al-Fan
05-03-2005, 12:32 PM
Remember the good old days where comics weren't so expensive. And character actually didn't cheat with g/f and b/f as bad and the characters were likeable.

Please help me out. I don't know what "g/f" or "b/f" mean.

I wish comics were less expensive, .75 cents for an annual and maybe .50 cents for a regular 22-pager. I know, I know, those days are long gone. The up-side, though, is the coloring and lettering are a lot better now than it was in the mid-80s (when the crappy-looking books, unbelievable/bad stories, and rising prices made me give up on comics). Sometimes I feel like I'm getting a bargain (Clayton Henry's Alpha Flight), sometimes I feel like I should get a little money back (Weapon X# 22). I like both, just to different degrees.

Bottom line, though, I still think $2.99 for a 22-page comic book is a bit much.

And let's not get started about the characters being "good" or "bad" or "heroes" or "anti-heroes" or "super-heroes" or whatever. I'm liable to start ranting and raving, again...and I'm tired of doing that.

rplass
05-03-2005, 08:00 PM
g/f and b/f are girlfriend and boyfriend.

By the way, $1.00 nominal in 1983 is equal to $1.93 in 2005 dollars. So comics have basically doubled in real price since those days. In other words, a $0.75 cover price comic in 1983 cost you $1.45 in 2005 dollars. Double that you get $2.90, around the price of a 22pg comic these days.

Love,
rplass

Garry/Al-Fan
05-09-2005, 12:25 PM
Let me see if I've got this right: Sabretooth beats the living crap out of Aurora in Weapon X# 2 (still don't have it, yet); neither Northstar (her brother) nor Walt/Sasquatch (her former teammate/lover) were looking for her at the time; Sabretooth manages somehow to get Sasquatch impaled on a whole lot of spikey things...but he's not reallllly supposed to die.

It's a good thing I'll never get to write an Alpha Flight story, 'cause Walt/
Sasquatch/Tanaraq would've/should've/could've beat the living s*it out of Sabretooth once he found out who beat up Aurora.

rplass
05-09-2005, 08:02 PM
Yeah, but at the time of the beating, some people actually knew where she was. I don't really know if anyone would be looking for her, in other words. Since she flew away in Weapon X vol. 2 #22, no one has seen her. So even if JP hadn't knocked Sabes unconscious, no useful information could have been offered. All he could have said would be referring to events long past, since Weapon X vol. 2 #2 publishing date is Dec 2002, and X-Men vol. 2 #163 publishing date is Dec 2004.

http://www.geocities.com/rplass/afcollector/sabe2.jpg

So who would win in a fight between Sasquatch and Sabretooth? You're saying Sasquatch if you were the writer, yeah, that's awesome. Well, I think they only went head-to-head once, and that was in the LS, and Sabretooth won. Based on Walt's performance against The Thing, The Hulk and Juggernaut, I'd say Walt should win such a fight, especially when in revenge mode against Jean-Marie's attacker.

Love,
rplass

Le Messor
05-09-2005, 08:20 PM
Hmm... None of them people had the healing factor. Realistically? I think it could go either way; but I suggest, based on the LS, that it'd go Sas's way. But why, I hear you ask? Didn't Sas lose in the LS?

Yes, but iirc, Sabes had to sneak attack him to win - which implies he couldn't win a fair fight.

- Le Messor
"Look, the thing about my family is there's five of us. Marge, Bart, Girl Bart, the one who doesn't talk, and the fat guy. How I loathe him."
- Homer

Ben
05-09-2005, 10:54 PM
Sas would have to be ruthless to beat Sabs, and he was just that in the LS. He knew what he was up against, and knew he couldn't back down. The only thing that kept Sas from taking Sabs down was falling in that trap that Sabs had dug for Windigo. Sas was able to survive that through transforming, which we've seen triggers him to heal. If Sas gave Sabs a chance to let the healing factor kick in, he wouldn't stand up.

Ben

HappyCanuck
05-10-2005, 01:13 AM
has there been any indication that Walt knew that Creed knew about Aurora? Last I heard, he was just as in the dark as JP was before Creed opened his trap.

Garry/Al-Fan
05-11-2005, 11:51 AM
In a Sabretooth mini-series, featuring Sabretooth, it does make sense that the title character win. This isn't Sasquatch's book. I hear what you're saying.

To me, the original "Sasquatch" is Walter and Tanaraq, combined. Do I believe that Walt/Sasquatch would know the type of person he was going up against? Yes, I do. Do I believe Sabretooth would be able to seriously hurt Walt/Sasquatch in a ruthless fight? Yes, I do. Here is the point where my interpretation of the character deviates from the current version of the "Sasquatch" character: once Sabretooth inflicted enough damage, it wouldn't be just a fight between Walt/Sasquatch, anymore, it would be a fight between Walt/Sasquatch/Tanaraq, and Sabretooth better hope his healing factor is working at maximum, 'cause an angry GREAT BEAST would be one hellavu adversary.

The only thing worse than Walt/Sasquatch/Tanaraq is Snowbird/Sasquatch/Tanaraq [you knew that was coming, didn't you?].

But a combination of a full god/goddess merged with Sasquatch/Tanaraq (assuming that's something Tanaraq would want to do) would be really big trouble.

Just as semi-caring people, would you need special incentive/motivation/knowledge/whatever to wonder about a sister/former teammate/former lover who needs some looking after? Or do Jean-Paul* and Walt really care about Jeanne-Marie, after all? I think they do...and would've thought about finding her on their own, sooner rather than later.

* Finally managed to get the focus of this thread in here some kinda way.

HappyCanuck
05-11-2005, 12:15 PM
The only thing worse than Walt/Sasquatch/Tanaraq is Snowbird/Sasquatch/Tanaraq [you knew that was coming, didn't you?].

But a combination of a full god/goddess merged with Sasquatch/Tanaraq (assuming that's something Tanaraq would want to do) would be really big trouble.

Actually, that opens an interesting question: We can assume that Tanaraq can manifest through the FORM, and not just through the host (as in, since both Walter and Narya had both took the beasts form and had him possess them), what would happen if they BOTH took the form. Many of you are gonna think 'wait they did, in AF v.1.23', but hold that thought, since Tanaraq was already in possession of Walter at that point, Narya was pretty much safe from possession. But yet, we've seen that Narya can get possessed WAY easier than Walt (to date, Walt's only been possessed once by Tanaraq's spirit, whereas if Narya is in the form for more than a few mins, Tanaraq tends to take over). We can chalk that up with her being a demigod (a mystical being) assuming the form (in my various researches on the subject of Mythology and Demonology, demons tend to take those with a mystical/psychic background. In fact, that's the how many of the preists/'esses in Cults of Kali in India and Hecate in Greece/Rome were chosen - by how easily they could channel their respective god). However, what would happen if Narya and Walter took the same form at the same time? who would Tanaraq invade first, if at all? Would it be the mystic body that he can enter easily, or the form he's for the most part bonded to? Along the same lines, since, genetically, both Walt and Narya ARE the same person (since Walt IS in Narya's original body - a plot I'd like to see FINALLY resolved), wouldn't that make them equal in that department? Or would that make Walt more succeptable, since a) he has the mystical ties that Narya did (although, supposedly supressed), and b) is the host the Beast is most familiar with? :?
On the note of "assuming that's something Tanaraq would want to do", I'd think it'd be something he'd not only WANT to do, but jump at the chance, since the Arctic gods are the blood-enemy of the Great Beasts, the chance to not only take one out, but 'convert' them to the Dark Side would probably be the Great Beasts' version of a wet-dream. (You-know-who-you-are, I hope you know how hard it is to remember to spell 'gods' in lower case, based on our 'discussion/arguements' from a few years ago :P)

Also, how many times can I use the '?' button before it decides to quit on me... :P

Garry/Al-Fan
05-11-2005, 12:37 PM
Actually, that opens an interesting question: We can assume that Tanaraq can manifest through the FORM, and not just through the host (as in, since both Walter and Narya had both took the beasts form and had him possess them), what would happen if they BOTH took the form. Many of you are gonna think 'wait they did, in AF v.1.23', but hold that thought,... what would happen if Narya and Walter took the same form at the same time? who would Tanaraq invade first, if at all? Would it be the mystic body that he can enter easily, or the form he's for the most part bonded to? Along the same lines, since, genetically, both Walt and Narya ARE the same person (since Walt IS in Narya's original body - a plot I'd like to see FINALLY resolved) [I don't know how resolved this plot-twist will ever be because, to complicate matters even more, Ranaq "transferred" his dying whatever-it-was (spirit, maybe) into a probably-pregnant/soon-to-be pregnant SNOWBIRD, so in effect PESTILENCE not only high-jacked Snowbird's son's power but whatever residuals of Ranaq and Tanaraq were residing in her as well---IMO; at this point, I'd love to know what, if anything, John Byrne would've done with all of this. I bet it would've been good. Garry/Al-Fan]

...On the note of "assuming that's something Tanaraq would want to do", I'd think it'd be something he'd not only WANT to do, but jump at the chance, since the Arctic gods are the blood-enemy of the Great Beasts, the chance to not only take one out, but 'convert' them to the Dark Side would probably be the Great Beasts' version of a wet-dream....

kozzi24
05-11-2005, 01:24 PM
Just as semi-caring people, would you need special incentive/motivation/knowledge/whatever to wonder about a sister/former teammate/former lover who needs some looking after? Or do Jean-Paul* and Walt really care about Jeanne-Marie, after all? I think they do...and would've thought about finding her on their own, sooner rather than later.

Aurora was taken right out from under Sasquatch's nose in Wolverine #173. Walt chose to respond to the plane crash involving Heather and Mac, which may have been a part of Weapon X's kidnapping plot.

In Walter's defense, we have to take into account the Aurora MPD. It is reasonable to assume that Walt figured the personalities changed and the newly dominant one did not desire the treatment she was enroute to get. The concern that Walt, J-P and the other Alphas have may not be any more than curiosity as to where Aurora is hiding.

Garry/Al-Fan
05-12-2005, 11:58 AM
I didn't think of it on my own, it was after Ben brought out Walt's rather stretchable ethics that got me to thinking that maybe, just maybe Walt might feel a little bit guilty for messin' up Aurora/Jeanne-Marie more with his experiment to change her. I don't want Walt experimenting on her again (by AFV1# 28, ALPHA FLIGHT was anything but one-dimensional), and I definitely don't want anybody else messing with her again, just let somebody explore her two/no-more-than-three different personalities (it looks like Frank Tieri picked up the third personality in Weapon X# 22).

My main thought is Walt is easier to subsume now, since his soul is divided between Talisman, Aurora, and Northstar. IMO, Tanaraq would've taken advantage of the opportunity to re-join/save "Sasquatch" during the Sabretooth-Wendigo fight.

Wolverine# 173? I need to get rich just so I can afford all the back issues I've missed. Didn't find # 173, but I did get the first part of the Modok/AIM/AF story (# 142).

Garry/Al-Fan
05-22-2005, 05:46 PM
Yeah, but at the time of the beating, some people actually knew where she was. I don't really know if anyone would be looking for her, in other words. [This is part of my point: why not? If Jean-Paul really cared about his sister, why didn't he go looking for her? If Walter really cared about her (either as a former teammate, an experiment, or an ex-lover), why didn't he go looking for her? Why is it so easy to manipulate the characters as potentially marketable but so difficult to keep their characterization close to consistent? G/A-F] Since she flew away in Weapon X vol. 2 #22, no one has seen her. So even if JP hadn't knocked Sabes unconscious, no useful information could have been offered. All he could have said would be referring to events long past, since Weapon X vol. 2 #2 publishing date is Dec 2002, and X-Men vol. 2 #163 publishing date is Dec 2004.

So who would win in a fight between Sasquatch and Sabretooth? You're saying Sasquatch if you were the writer, yeah, that's awesome. Well, I think they only went head-to-head once, and that was in the LS, and Sabretooth won. Based on Walt's performance against The Thing, The Hulk and Juggernaut, I'd say Walt should win such a fight, especially when in revenge mode against Jean-Marie's attacker.

Love,
rplass

Garry/Al-Fan
05-22-2005, 05:55 PM
Yeah, but at the time of the beating, some people actually knew where she was. I don't really know if anyone would be looking for her, in other words. [This is part of my point: why not? If Jean-Paul really cared about his sister, why didn't he go looking for her? If Walter really cared about her (either as a former teammate, an experiment, or an ex-lover), why didn't he go looking for her? Why is it so easy to manipulate the characters as potentially marketable product but so difficult to keep their characterization(s) close to consistent? G/A-F] Since she flew away in Weapon X vol. 2 #22, no one has seen her.

So who would win in a fight between Sasquatch and Sabretooth? You're saying Sasquatch if you were the writer, yeah, that's awesome. [I don't know how awesome what I would write would be. I can't read, write, or speak French, which is a necessity for Northstar and Aurora, so I would have to cheat with the "translated from the French" dodge, just to let everyone know right up front. I would try (and have to work hard) to make a solid story with hopefully no big holes in it that everybody would quickly spot! G/A-F] Well, I think they only went head-to-head once, and that was in the LS, and Sabretooth won. Based on Walt's performance against The Thing, The Hulk and Juggernaut, I'd say Walt should win such a fight, especially when in revenge mode against Jean-Marie's attacker. [My bet, if someone does it without favoritism, is Sasquatch. G/A-F] rplass

Hatheny-Lurey-Dralaw
06-11-2005, 07:27 AM
Hey, hate to break up the wicked Sas thread you got going here (DAMN I need to buy those comics ><), but hold up!

Is Northstar alive, or is he dead? He was killed by Wolverine, last I heard, but was he resurrected by the Hand or something?! Where can I get information on this? My comic book store is useless . . . >< gaaaa . . .

Please somebody help! He's my fav char, I need to know what's going on with him! ^^; :(

Xx Hatheny @-;-

Phil
06-11-2005, 08:49 AM
Check http://forum.alphaflight.net/viewtopic.php?t=849

Spoilers ahoy though.

Hatheny-Lurey-Dralaw
06-11-2005, 09:45 AM
Who cares about spoilers!! I have Northstar back! :D :D :D Yay!!! Thank you so much for redirecting me!!! ^^ <3

rplass
08-19-2005, 09:07 PM
Spoiler space

I was looking back on this thread to see the listing of horrible things that have happened to Alpha Flight members in 2005. Now we have two more events to add:

In New Thunderbolts #11, HoM Flashback is rendered into, uh, some sort of oblivion or infinity or zero-ness, something very bad related to time, space, etc. I think he's dead in the HoM world.

In Weapon X: Days of Future Now #2, Wild Child is incinerated by Sentinels, created by his quondam teammate Madison Jeffries who is exhausted, suffering on a steel gurney with some sort of brain clamp, no less.

http://www.geocities.com/rplass/afcollector/wx2dofn2a.jpg

Not a good month for the Alphans! Ouch!

Love,
rplass

darc_light
03-22-2006, 01:13 AM
I didn't so much mind Kyle and Creed fighting in the AOA One Shot, since Kyle started it and could clearly hold his own...but I took offence at the writer going out of his way to portray Kyle as a dog, the title,"Man Bites Dog" Sabie calling him "Man's best friend", communicating with him "On his level" as a dog...Etc, etc, etc.... :roll: :roll: :P
He's still a person, no matter what his mental state...if the insane were less than human I'd be in a kennel somewhere...
For the record I am mentally ill, so I certainly mean no offence... O:)

darc_light
03-22-2006, 01:44 AM
They killed another alternate Kyle!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: I've always hated Sentinels...I'd say more but I try to avoid foul language... :twisted: I don't much like many of the writers nowadays either....

syvalois
03-22-2006, 09:56 AM
[I don't know how awesome what I would write would be. I can't read, write, or speak French, which is a necessity for Northstar and Aurora, so I would have to cheat with the "translated from the French" dodge, just to let everyone know right up front. I would try (and have to work hard) to make a solid story with hopefully no big holes in it that everybody would quickly spot! G/A-F]

I know you wrote that ages ago, but trust me computer translator are horrible if you want accurancy. But what is good about forums and knowning other people around the globe, you can ask people that do speak the language to translate stuff for you. Usually they are more than happy to do it. I know I would as many others would or can too. (thanks again (forget the name, sorry)for my spanish translation :P ) [/b]

Garry/Al-Fan
03-23-2006, 12:00 PM
I also like the idea of two people collaborating to write Alpha Flight, like Stephenson and Larsen did (and Furman and Lobdell did). I believe in that "two heads is better than one" old saying.

Most of my story-ideas have been shredded to smithereens because of this de-mutant thing [took out Windshear and Persuasion and a host of others], the Northstar as resurrected zombie-killer thing, the Aurora-as-Weapon X *errorist/Tieri thing, not to mention The Master supposedly being blinded and dead and the whole team getting their clocks cleaned in New Avengers. Change is inevitable, but this is a bit much for me.

Yet, as difficult as it would be to pick up/take off from these weird plot-points, the most damaging thing to happen to AF was Lobdell's treat-them-as-a-joke volume 3. I read that Mark Millar is going to do something with AF stemming from Civil War, and I liked his run on Wolverine, so I'll be interested in what he does.

BTW, I got NA# 17 yesterday and (hold on to your hats) it is pretty good. Wish McNiven had drawn the AF battle last issue, but a much more solid story, altogether. And I want to see how it is resolved.

Am I still pissed that AF got monkey-stomped, though? Yes.

MistressMerr
03-23-2006, 10:39 PM
took out Windshear and Persuasion and a host of others

Small comfort, but Persuasion is still powered.

Garry/Al-Fan
03-25-2006, 05:13 PM
...it's great to know that Persuasion is still powered. I must've been thinking of Murmur.

I got AF# 127 last weekend and #'s 70, 81, 82, 84, and 129, yesterday. Haven't read 84 or 129 yet, but my respect for Alpha Flight is being rekindled by Hudnall and Calimee's storytelling. I'm even beginning to understand why Allan believes that AF continuity can be fixed, since Hudnall and Calimee inherited a totally *ucked-up series and turned it around, positively, by incorporating what had happened during the dark days.

I'm not going to pretend that Calimee's artwork isn't a little awkward and inconsistent (facial-featurewise) at times, but when it comes to telling the story he does so with clean artwork. The combination of words and pictures is just right, enjoyable. Jerry Talaoc's ugly inking overpowered every artist (Bogdonove, Sal Buscema, Ross, Haynes) he inked on AF, with the exception of Mike Mignola, who just did a lousy job of drawing the characters in his three issues.

And I understand Whilce Portico is a big-name star now, but he didn't do Dave Ross or June Bridgman many favors when they were drawing AF.

Looking at it years after the fact, Calimee is better than I first thought.

apologies to Mr. Hudnall (from AF# 82)

"The Cat Elves, Miss? Why would the Cat Elves have your brassiere?"

"My brothair, you bag of grease!"

Aurora, without power and with her split-personality, going wherever she had to to find her brother...that's a hero!

rplass
07-28-2008, 02:05 AM
Aha, a fourth Northstar death, in Ultimate X-Men #95, confirmed in this month's Ultimate X-Men #96. Poor guy... Of the four, this one is pretty bad because he was just a kid and it was senseless and drug-related...
The other 3 were not so bad:
1) Died a hero (The End)
2) Resurrected, now a good guy (616)
3) Bad guy anyway and what's with those tattoos? (AoA)

Can he die a 5th time? I hope not!!!

Love,
rplass

DelBubs
07-28-2008, 06:18 AM
Hasn't he died a few more times in the 616. I seem to remeber him being killed in the second battle with Deadly Ernest and also while in the Realm of The Beasts. Could be wrong?

Ryan Maxwell
07-28-2008, 12:17 PM
He was dead for a (very) brief moment in AF 24, along with Aurora and Talisman, before Walt's spirit resurrected them.