PDA

View Full Version : Back At it!!!!

Ben
05-04-2005, 09:19 PM
Well, after the better part of the winter off, I'm back to working on my house/studio starting tomorrow! I'll be shingling the roof for the next few days.

This is gonna be a tough summer, Head bartender at a new bar in a very touristy area of the island, and working on my house/studio ... Someone poke me every few hours to keep me awake.

Ben

Legerd
05-04-2005, 10:31 PM
Get me a sharpened stick and you've got a deal! :twisted:

ladymako71
05-05-2005, 01:59 PM
gotcher pokey stick thingie right here baby!

Ben
05-05-2005, 06:18 PM
well, just as we were finishing prepping the roof for shigling, my buddy who's working with my shot an air nail an inch into his hand...so we stopped working... But here's where it stands now: http://forum.alphaflight.net/album_comment.php?pic_id=314

Ben

Legerd
05-05-2005, 08:22 PM
You stopped to take the nail out and then went back to work right? I mean, it was only in an inch...

Seriously, how's your bud doing? The place is looking good. By the way, not being in contruction, what is "tyveked"? Strapping and tyveking... sounds just plain kinky, man.

Oh, thanks for the stick LM, it's just in time to get lazyboy there back to work. :arrow: (poke)

Ben
05-05-2005, 08:40 PM
You stopped to take the nail out and then went back to work right? I mean, it was only in an inch...

Seriously, how's your bud doing? The place is looking good. By the way, not being in contruction, what is "tyveked"? Strapping and tyveking... sounds just plain kinky, man.

Actually...he did just pull it out, clean it up, bandage it, have a smoke and go back to work...we got about half an hour more work done and he started to loose the strenght in it, and it was just hurting too much. He's seeing the doctor tomorrow about it, so I'll just clear deadfall in the woods with the chainsaw tomorrow.

Tyvek is the white stuff you see covering the ground floor. It keeps moisture and cold out, but allows the bulding to breathe. the strapping is the wood over top of the tyvek, since I'm doing vertical board siding, it has to go over hroizontal strapping. Also since I'm putting a second layer of tyvek over the strapping, there will be a dead air space, adding R value really cheap.

Oh, thanks for the stick LM, it's just in time to get lazyboy there back to work. :arrow: (poke)

OUCH! Hey, not yet! I don't start at the bar for an other week!

Ben

Weapon Omega
05-07-2005, 01:07 PM
Ben:

Nail through the head, and he still went back to work?!? That's friendship right there!!

So Ben, is this your "Dream Home" your building, a Love Shack maybe?? Looks like your summer will be busy. Keep us posted. Take care.

Ben
05-07-2005, 04:37 PM
well, I had a bit of an accident yesterday. It involved my face and a chainsaw. Got rushed to halifax to be sewn up, gonna be funny lookin' for a while. I'm ok though, in lots of pain, still kinda doped out. Got about 40 stitches that I can count.

Ben

rplass
05-07-2005, 07:27 PM
Holy baloney :!: Did you read the instructions in the chainsaw manual regarding: DO NOT USE ON FACE??

Man, it sounds like you belong in Alpha Flight. Was Marvel Comics behind the attack? j/k! Dude, please have a speedy and full recovery.

Love,
rplass

Legerd
05-08-2005, 12:53 PM
well, I had a bit of an accident yesterday. It involved my face and a chainsaw. Got rushed to halifax to be sewn up, gonna be funny lookin' for a while. I'm ok though, in lots of pain, still kinda doped out. Got about 40 stitches that I can count.

Ben

Geez, glad to hear you're still in one piece.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/Legerd/2003_5_radioheadfan2.jpg

And try to stay off the face, eh?

Legerd
05-08-2005, 12:54 PM
Okay, that's long enough, get back to work.

:arrow: (poke)

kozzi24
05-08-2005, 01:05 PM

Ben
CRINGE
CRINGE
CRINGE

Ben
05-08-2005, 01:16 PM
Okay, that's long enough, get back to work.

:arrow: (poke)

Hey! Yer a slave driver! At least wait 'till I can open my eye again! It's all swollen shut and puffy. I've got pictures if anyone wants to be grossed out....but I'll not be that mean.

Ben

cmdrkoenig67
05-08-2005, 02:18 PM
GAH!!!!! Ben, be careful! I'm glad to hear you're alright.

Dana

Weapon Omega
05-08-2005, 03:01 PM
Ben:

My God!! I'm sorry to hear that. Get well soon Brotha!!! Take it easy for a couple of weeks. No house is worth that! Keep us posted on your Road to Recovery!!!

ladymako71
05-08-2005, 03:38 PM

Ben

O_o

You what? I hope you're alright. It sounds nasty if they rushed you to Halifax to get it fixed. *hugs*

Ben
05-08-2005, 03:59 PM
wasn't fun, not too pretty right now, and got lots o' pain, but everying is all ligned up, and I didn't actually loose any of my eyelid in the saw...though it was torn into 4 pieces (all still attached) I had a brilliant surgeon put me back together. Was worked on for about 4 hours, and I'm amazed how good it all came out. I shouldn't be left with more than a few scars.

Ben

cmdrkoenig67
05-08-2005, 06:09 PM
:shock:.......Shudder......

Dana

syvalois
05-09-2005, 12:07 AM
ben, that is very scary. Hope you get well with not a too bad scar, but from what you tell us, it was a pretty bad accident. Did you had protective glasses? Bruno is wearing those I picked from Houston just for fashion, if you want them, I can as him to give it to you. They are pretty cool looking, but are beginning to be a little bit scratch

Garry/Al-Fan
05-09-2005, 12:52 PM
Ben, I'm glad you're alright.

Le Messor
05-09-2005, 08:15 PM
I was about to make some really lame, out of the blue joke about the Nightmare on Elm Street house being worth it...
Then I looked at the pic, and realised that's the one you're building. :twisted:

Maybe you should try for the Tamarind Island house? :wink:

Hope you both get better. I'd poke you with a sharp stick, but it sounds like you have nail guns for that.

- Mik
"You mean -He's- going into labour!"
- Ben Griffen, _Family Guy_ (in severe denial, unlike your mate, who's in severe de-nail)

PWalk
05-10-2005, 12:28 PM
Holy crap Ben glad to hear your alright. Chainsaw's to the face have had far worse results from what I can guess.

Is the bar giving you any grief? I know when I cut my forehead playing hockey the bar I was working at sent me home for the week until I healed up because my stitches were freaking the people out.
Sissys. :lol:

Ben
05-10-2005, 01:59 PM
Holy crap Ben glad to hear your alright. Chainsaw's to the face have had far worse results from what I can guess.

Is the bar giving you any grief? I know when I cut my forehead playing hockey the bar I was working at sent me home for the week until I healed up because my stitches were freaking the people out.
Sissys. :lol:

My boss is cool with the injury. I have an eye patch i can put on, that covers most of the stitches, so it shouldn't be too freaky. The bar has a notical theme, so I'll just dress as a pirate for the grand opening ;)

Ben

Mokole
05-10-2005, 06:59 PM
Gee whiz that's bad luck. Great to hear all you get in payback is a bit of minor scarring. Better than almost anything else that could've happened.

Maybe you need to reach for the inner luddite :wink:

Ben
05-18-2005, 12:43 PM
well all, thanks for the kind words from everyone. I'm healing up nicely, getting the stitches out today. The swelling is pretty much gone. Here's a pic a buddy of mine took of me yesterday, now that I'm not too gross to look at ;)

http://ofuabduction.com/albums/freakville/CrazyBen.sized.jpg

Ben

Legerd
05-18-2005, 02:13 PM

Ben

The PEI Chainsaw Massacre!!!

Starring Ben :shock:

ladymako71
05-20-2005, 11:57 PM
The PEI Chainsaw Massacre!!!

Starring Ben :shock:

LOLOLOLOL

Looks like you're doing a lot better there mate...actually...looking at that pic, Legard's right.

RUUUUUUNNNNNNNNN!!

burN@
05-24-2005, 08:49 AM

Caution !!!
Keep your eyes on it !!!

http://www.geocities.com/solidbat/grouplaugh.gif

cmdrkoenig67
05-24-2005, 01:22 PM
Ben, Just try to remember....Chainsaws are not for exfoliation.

Dana

PWalk
05-24-2005, 02:33 PM
Nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. You had a good surgeon.

Ben
05-24-2005, 04:28 PM
Nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. You had a good surgeon.

Yah, they did a good job putting it back together. The heavy scar tissue is causing some problems with the operation of the eyelid, but hopefully that will get better. Stitches are out now, and the wounds all closed on the surface. Still hurts lots, and having visual issues, but it's comming along.

Ben

Ben
05-31-2005, 01:06 AM
had lots o' people asking how I'm healing up, so here it is:

http://forum.alphaflight.net/album_pic.php?pic_id=323

Still can't close my eye, but looking much better now.

Ben

Legerd
06-01-2005, 09:21 AM
Now all you have to do is get infected with a techno-organic virus and you'll be the spitting image of Cable. :lol:

Ben
09-03-2005, 03:57 AM
For all those interested, here is a proper update on the building progress of my house. Just got the door and 2 windows beside it put in today. I'll start siding that top wall on Monday.

http://forum.alphaflight.net/album_pic.php?pic_id=387

Ben

PWalk
09-03-2005, 11:25 AM
Very nice, when do ou start on the driveway? :lol: :lol:

kozzi24
09-03-2005, 11:41 AM
It's coming along great, Ben!

Ben
09-03-2005, 01:20 PM
Very nice, when do ou start on the driveway? :lol: :lol:

Well, I sort of have a driveway...it's really just a car width path through the hay, but it works for now ;)

Ben

Ben
10-05-2005, 06:39 PM
well, just about a month since the last pic was posted. Since then the upstairs on the side you see is all sided, soffeted and painted (where paint applys) On the other side, 2 other windows in, stairs build with temporary steps in. I'm done work now for a while, so I'll have some time to get more done on the house.

http://forum.alphaflight.net/album_pic.php?pic_id=399

Ben

Le Messor
10-08-2005, 10:48 PM
Still can't close my eye, but looking much better now. Ben

How do you keep from going blind? Eyedrops?

And, house is looking good. Hmmm... Y'know, you could make a pretty good replica of the house in 'A Nightmare on Elm Street' out of that thing. (For more reference, e-mail me, and I'll scan in pics of the actual house, from angles you don't see in the movies. Ooh, and I'll send you the address. Is he kidding?) {sas}

- Le Messor
Amish Guy: 'Tis a fine barn, but sure 'tis no pool, English.

- Simpsons

cmdrkoenig67
10-09-2005, 03:08 PM
That's looking very good, Ben.

Dana

kozzi24
10-20-2005, 11:23 AM
Ben, here's something I caught from the pictures (unless I just couldn't make it out) that may save you some aggravation down the line.
One of the properties I manage has had a recurring leak that we thought was from the second floor bathroom. Water comes out on the first floor, but is not appearing anywhere on the second floor. The leak was absolutely out of control through last week's bad weather, but only sometimes. The upper apartment was empty, the main reason we could eliminate the water as from the bathroom immediately above the leak.
It turns out that there is no flashing under the seams of where the dormer sections meet the roof skirt. Pic at http://www.kozzi.us/property.htm, first building on left.)
If it's not too late Ben, get some flashing under the skirts to the dormer walls, or at least do a MAJOR job sealing that up. Problem only happens when the wind drives the rain under the window sills, but has been a major problem in discovering the source and interior damage.

Ben
10-20-2005, 11:40 PM
Thanks for the concern Jeff! Fear not, it's very well flashed. I have a layer of flashing over the seams, plus a layer of water and ice (the sticky ashfalt roof seam cover) LOTS of tar, colking on the seams between the flashing and the roof, with shingles on top. We've had some HEAVY rain this fall, with lots of wind, and so far, not a drop.

Ben

Ben
11-28-2005, 11:00 PM
here's a more up-to-date pic for those folling my progress:

http://forum.alphaflight.net/album_pic.php?pic_id=479

Ben

Legerd
11-29-2005, 01:48 AM
Looking better and better. I guess we could call you Ben of Green Gables? :lol:

HappyCanuck
11-29-2005, 10:53 AM
Looking better and better. I guess we could call you Ben of Green Gables? :lol: