PDA

View Full Version : Howdy

Powersurge
07-05-2005, 10:07 PM
I just wanted to write a short note introducing myself. I'm somewhere around 33 years old and my first exposure to Alpha Flight was through some early X-Men or reprints of early X-Men comics ... something like issues 120-something.

I always thought that the idea of of Alpha Flight was really cool, and consider the first appearance of Weapon Alpha and Alpha Flight in the Uncanny X-Men to be *classic* issues, but I haven't been all that keen on where the actual Alpha title-runs have taken them ... beginnig with the supposed death of James "Mac" in issue 12 of the first run onward.

I suppose I'm a sucker for the good old days.

birdygirl
07-05-2005, 10:23 PM
Welcome, Powersurge! This is definitely the place to be if you like Alpha Flight! I like the early Alpha stories best myself, (but then, I'm prejudiced!) :wink:

rplass
07-06-2005, 02:43 AM
Welcome to the board, Psurge. The issues you are referring to are Uncanny X-Men #'s 120 and 121. Here are a portion of what I wrote about those two issues:

120 (May 1979): This is the "teaser" 1st app issue - only Mac is shown in full. Mac changes from "Weapon Alpha" to "Vindicator". Each team member is shown in their civilian clothes, with their home city, profession and real names revealed in individual bio panels on p2. But the rest of the appearances are in shadow, or just a hand or a foot contributing action with voices coming from off-panel. Snowbird does not appear outside of her bio panel on p2.

121 (Jun 1979): 1st full app Alpha Flight, 1st app Snowbird in costume. Unlike UXM #120, each character is shown in full and all have speaking lines.

Alpha Flight would re-appear later in UXM #'s 139 and 140 with cameos in 138 and 147, so you may be remembering those appearances as well.

Love,
rplass

Powersurge
07-06-2005, 03:43 PM
Alpha Flight would re-appear later in UXM #'s 139 and 140 with cameos in 138 and 147, so you may be remembering those appearances as well.

Yeah, thats it. I remember now. It wasn't the original appearance of Weapon Alpha or Alpha Flight, but the issue were Wolvie teams up with, like, Shaman, Snowbird, and maybe a couple of others to beat the Wendigo. THat led me to the previous issues!

Thanks for joggin the ol'noggin!! Oh, and thanks to both of ya for the welcome as well!!!

Ben
07-07-2005, 02:39 AM
Welcome Powersurge! You've found your way to the one stop shop for all info AF related! Glad to have you here, find a nice comfy spot in the cupboard, but try not to leave old food lying around, that just encourages the cupboard jockies.

Ben

Legerd
07-07-2005, 06:55 AM
Welcome to Alpha Waves Powersurge!

I suppose I'm a sucker for the good old days.

Same here, I miss the Vol. 1 members (all of them) and really wish someone at Marvel would bring them back in a regular (Alpha) series.

syvalois
07-07-2005, 07:00 AM

Yeah, thats it. I remember now. It wasn't the original appearance of Weapon Alpha or Alpha Flight, but the issue were Wolvie teams up with, like, Shaman, Snowbird, and maybe a couple of others to beat the Wendigo. THat led me to the previous issues!

Welcome Powersurge and all the newbies. The wendigo issue is the first issue I read of AF too, but I never saw the original introduction in X-men, if I remember correctly, my brother started buying the french translation after those issues, in fact we begun with the Arcade issues where Colossus begame a soviet and wanted to kill his teammates:shock: . I know that sound weird say like that. javascript:emoticon(':oops:')
Embarassedjavascript:emoticon(':roll:')
Rolling Eyes