PDA

View Full Version : Fantastic Fun!

ladymako71
07-08-2005, 07:24 PM
I personally don't care HOW cruddy the reviews were! This movie kicked butt! Yes I went and saw it first thing this morning! Soooooooo? Who else has seen it and if so, what did ya think?

(will post spoily bits later on when more folks have seen it)

Mystic
07-09-2005, 12:24 AM
I honestly enjoyed it. I went to go see it after work today, and was quite impressed (and I'm not a fan of the FF in any way). Could it have been better? Sure. But it was in no way horrible. I would recommend it to anyone.

-Mystic

Le Messor
07-10-2005, 08:04 AM
I enjoyed it, and will prob'ly get the DVD. I thought they captured the 4's personalities perfectly.

But I have a -lot- of nits, and it'll never be a favourite.
Especially Doom; he, more than The Thing, makes me stand by my trailer-inspired Plastic Fantastic comments.

- Le Messor
"I knew I shouldn't talk to you unarmed."
- Star Trek

PWalk
07-10-2005, 11:04 PM
I just did not enjoy this film. That was the lamest final battle scene in a movie yet.

Mystic
07-11-2005, 10:14 AM
Did you see the final fight between Daredevil and the Kingpin? I thought that that one movie was worse than anything I've ever seen...with the Hulk coming in an extremely close second.

Sure, the final fight left some things to be desired...but I don't think it was the worst.

PWalk
07-11-2005, 05:04 PM
Well those 2 movies both had lousy endings as well. This one just bored me throughout with lousy acting, an inept script concerning the villian, and absolutley no chemistry between Reed and Sue.

I can't go on ranting without poilers galore so I'll hold off for now.

Mystic
07-11-2005, 10:07 PM
Are you a fan of the FF?? Perhaps the only reason I enjoyed it was that I'm not really a fan of the FF to begin with...so the script was good looking at it from the standpoint of a total newbie. As far as the other two movies were concerned, I knew more about them so I saw the flaws.

-Mystic

JohnnyCanuck
07-12-2005, 03:01 AM
Well those 2 movies both had lousy endings as well. This one just bored me throughout with lousy acting, an inept script concerning the villian, and absolutley no chemistry between Reed and Sue.

I can't go on ranting without poilers galore so I'll hold off for now.

But let's remember this is the same girl who took the role of the stripper in Sin City and wouldn't do nude scenes.

JC

PWalk
07-12-2005, 09:50 AM
Are you a fan of the FF?? Perhaps the only reason I enjoyed it was that I'm not really a fan of the FF to begin with...so the script was good looking at it from the standpoint of a total newbie. As far as the other two movies were concerned, I knew more about them so I saw the flaws.

-Mystic

Thats the thing, I grew up reading FF and besides AF it was my favorite book to read. The screenwriter totally took what could have been a good story on the screen and destroyed it in my opinion.

cmdrkoenig67
07-12-2005, 02:28 PM
I didn't hate it...didn't like it either. Doom(hated his origin and lack of european accent) seemed more of a genius than Reed did(it should have been Reed who came up with the Unstable molecules, attributing it to Doom was unforgivable). Reed came across more like a science student next to Doom. I hated the change in origin for the FF...it really should have been a Rocket/shuttle ride for the four.

All through the movie, I just couldn't buy that Sue and Johnny were siblings(they just looked so different, let alone being of different ethnicities)...and Sue as a scientist was just...weird.

Chiklis as Ben was great, Chris Evans was hot, hot, hot!...He was a pretty good Johnny Storm. Ioan's portrayal of Reed felt flat(IMO...as I said..he didn't come across as a brilliant scientist to me))...I also agree about the lack of chemistry between Reed and Sue...it just felt forced.

Dana

Barnacle13
07-12-2005, 06:44 PM
Overall I thought it was a pretty good movie. I'd grade it a B. The origin was off a bit, but I'm not a real stickler for that stuff. I know they have to change some things around to make them "more interesting" for the uninitiated. I think Dana pretty much nailed it on the head. Chiklis, though not my first choice for Ben Grim, was pretty damned good in the role. Johnny Storm was portrayed pretty well also. Reed, Doom, and Sue..... sorry! They fell a little flat! Reed didn't come off as supergenius, in fact he was more of a moron who got things just close enough to really screw things up. Sue was eye candy. Plain and simple eye candy.

All in all I enjoyed it and more importantly my 8 year old son enjoyed it. He loved the Human Torch and The Thing! I enjoyed the Invisible Woman and the hot nurse!

ladymako71
07-16-2005, 09:24 AM
Okay! It's been a week now since it opened! (I should also point out I've gone and seen it twice now. geek ^^) I think it was like the first X-Men flick...it explains the general idea behind the series, introducing the characters and what makes them tick, for non fans of the series while trying to entertain the true diehards as well. I originally started this thread after seeing it the first time, the second time was more of a 'what did I miss in the first go around?' and on that note...

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
P
A
C
E
!

I'm not as clued into the FF universe as say the X-Men one, so for me I didn't see many of the flaws that FF fans might have. My knowledge of the FF mainly comes from guest appearances in any other marvel title I've been an addict of.

I know the origin changed for both the team and Doom, but then I think they were a) updating it from 1964 when Stan Lee first came up with the concept and b) Needed to screw up Doom in a hurry, so why not kill two birds with one stone sort of thing.

I know from reading cast interviews and stuff, that Chiklis was the only one of the cast besides the 'mailman' who knew the history and had been a fan from way back. He'd also aspired to the role of Ben Grimm way back and was floored that it finally became available to play. Of course of all the players on screen Willie the Mailman knows the FF history best. lol I love how Stan manages to get tiny little sneaks into Marvel flicks. btw? Who besides me wanted to smack 'Deb' around?

I will admit that I was actually dreading Jessica Alba playing Sue Storm when I heard who was playing who many moons ago. In part because of the ethnic background and in part because I had orginally lumped her into the Lindsey Lohan group of current 'hot actresses'...easily forgettable. My mind has since been changed. lol A bleach job and blue contacts can work wonders.

Dana mentioned he had trouble believing that her and johnny (drool) could be siblings because of the obvious ethnic differences...I dunno...I need to find a pic, but my own sister and I don't look a thing alike and we did inherit the ethnic extremes from our folks. (she's olive skinned eastern european looking and I'm the urber nordic type) They did however play siblings perfectly imo...lmao the exchanges between the two reminded me so much of my own sister and I growing up....I was Sue she was Johnny. I really did enjoy Jessica's performance as Sue.

I cannot tell a lie...and Allan will attest to this for me...a-hem Ioan did a marvelous job of turning Reed Richards from 'Father knows best' to eye candy yummy! Dear god... I did have a good laugh though listening to him speak because the trained ear can pick out the Welsh accent from a mile off in the 'supposed' American. Yeah he didn't come off as smart as he supposedly is but I do think that he showed the manic obsessive nature of the scientific mind. Not to mention...he looked really really good in that suit. And the FX for his powers were a trip to see!

Julian as Doom was good on the ego front! The accent...or lack there of... was a bit disappointing but I think he nailed the basic idea behind Doom of being a manic obsessive megalomaniac. The love triangle though...erm I found that a bit of a hard swallow but then thinking back to what I said about it being a kind of 'explination' flick, it just added more fuel to the fire that pit Doom against the FF.

I know virtually nothing about Alicia Masters except that she is blind, she's the puppet master's daughter or something like that and that she's white in the comic. I didn't have any problem with her being black on screen but I do know they cut a scene where she's with Ben in her art studio and he points out some puppets hanging on the wall and asks who they belong too. Maybe that'll be on the DVD in the extras option...

lolol and now the bit I KNOW Allan is going to give me hell for! Chiklis was good as the Thing, but Evans as Johnny? UUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN For someone who knew nothing of the history of the character prior to signing on with the film, Chris Evans does an amazing job of making you think otherwise! Seriously from what I know of Johnny Storm, the only real hiccup with the movie is that he isn't very blonde, other then that, 'hot' is an understatement!

Johnny was also the source of some of the best scenes in the whole movie...my personal fave being the snowboarding hiccup and ensuing nudity...thankyougod! They also played on the whole relationship of bratty bros between Johnny and Ben very well. The outtake where Johnny's messing with Ben as he sleeps...and pretty much any other scene involving the two going at it with each other. I found the fire FX a bit meh when he was in full 'Flame On' mode, but then fire is a nightmare to FX for flicks.

In all I still think this movie rocks! And I will have the DVD to drool over when it comes out...lol geek