PDA

View Full Version : Aurore

syvalois
07-20-2005, 12:55 PM
Last night My mother and I want to see the movie Aurore. We wanted to see it at 19h30 representation but it was sold out and we had to wait for the next representation.

Aurore is based on a true story that happened in the 1920's about a girl that got beaten to death by her step-mother and also her father (if you want to see the movie website :http://www.aurore.ca ).

So what is the big interest in that kind of movie? Well, the story is a classic in Québec. I thing everyone must know about it one way or the other. No one will be named Aurore here because it's automatically link to martyr.

The movie is a remake of a not so good movie made in 1952. Still, the movie I saw yesterday is disturbing because even if it's set in 1920 and something, it's still relevant today. There is still today children dying because of neglicence or abuse. Even just before the movie start, there's a message from the DPJ (children welfare in Québec I think would be the best translation) saying that children should not suffer in silence and that if we know something like that is happening we have to do something.

Did I like the movie? I don't know, not yet, but I did find it disturbing and give me a lot to think about. I don't hink all that been said in the movie is true but one fact cannot be denied, Aurore died because her wounds got infected. She was covered with wounds. Everyone in the village knew something wrong was happening but nobody did nothing. Very sad story. The generic at the end start with no music, only after 1 minute or more the music begins, that was also disturbing. Funny how the lack of music just gives you a sense of uneasiness. Should I go or stay until the end of the generic? Anyway...

What Aurore got to do with AF? Some of you already knew it,I've already said it. Aurore is the french counterpart of Aurora, our local famous nutcase. Funny how Aurora's story connect to Aurore's story. It must have been a coincidence in Byrne's part but still... Even in 1 of the first issues, Byrne made Northstar call his sister Aurore and not Aurora.

If you want to know more about the story, you can go click on the link below. I find it's one of the most complete and accurate english speaking website.

http://www.canadianmysteries.ca/sites/gagnon/mortetrange/indexen.html

when I think the father only did 5 years of his life sentence in prison, oh well...

kozzi24
07-22-2005, 01:49 PM
Byrne put a lot more thought into the development of the team than he likes to admit. The name may have been a coincidence for the light-based powers, but my guess is the abusive background was in part inspired by Aurore.
Unlike Starlin, Byrne does not have recurring themes of the evils of the Catholic church in his larger body of work.

syvalois
07-24-2005, 11:43 AM
The name may have been a coincidence for the light-based powers, but my guess is the abusive background was in part inspired by Aurore.
Unlike Starlin, Byrne does not have recurring themes of the evils of the Catholic church in his larger body of work.

My brother and I always thought Byrne based Jeanne-Marie/Aurora bio on Duplessis orphans :http://archives.cbc.ca/IDD-1-70-1633/disasters_tragedies/duplessis_orphans/

Because it would also explain the evils of the Catholic church in the character history. But what was more known in english Canada at the time Byrne wrote the story? I don't know. But the only problem with the Duplessis orphans is that it's too old an event to have happened to Jeanne-Marie/Aurora.