I hate the Skydome and the CN Tower, too
I hate Nathan Phillips Square and the Ontario Zoo
the rent's too high, the air's unclean
the beaches are dirty and the people are mean

and the women are big and the men are dumb
the children are loopy 'cause they live in a slum
the water is polluted and the mayor's a dork
the people dress real bad and they think they're New York

I'm serious, don't go there. It's got to be the crappiest city I've ever been to. It stinks like a dump, especially when it's incredibly hot out (which is almost always), the line to get into the CN Tower is like five or six miles long...Worst. Vacation. Ever.

cmdrkoenig67
07-29-2005, 12:50 PM
Time to rethink my vacation plans....I guess. Kurt and I were going to visit Toronto next month...Hmmmm. Where do we go now???

Dana

HappyCanuck
07-29-2005, 01:16 PM
Time to rethink my vacation plans....I guess. Kurt and I were going to visit Toronto next month...Hmmmm. Where do we go now???

Dana

Might I suggest this place (sorry about the crappy resolution)...
http://forum.alphaflight.net/album_pic.php?pic_id=346

http://forum.alphaflight.net/album_pic.php?pic_id=347

Heh, there's nothing wrong with pimping my new-found home, is there?? :D

cmdrkoenig67
07-29-2005, 01:50 PM
British Columbia, Allan? That's a bit more of a jaunt that we were planning...LOL. We were just going to drive to Toronto and also visit(the dreaded tourist spot) Niagara.

Dana

HappyCanuck
07-29-2005, 01:51 PM
British Columbia, Allan? That's a bit more of a jaunt that we were planning...LOL. We were just going to drive to Toronto and also visit(the dreaded tourist spot) Niagara.

Dana

Hey if you're gonna do it, Might as well do it right, eh? :P

cmdrkoenig67
07-29-2005, 01:55 PM

Dana

LOL...Exactly...Kurt and I have been eyeing Vancouver as a vacation visit spot too, but we'd definitely fly there.

dana

HappyCanuck
07-29-2005, 01:58 PM

Dana

LOL...Exactly...Kurt and I have been eyeing Vancouver as a vacation visit spot too, but we'd definitely fly there.

dana

No no no no, man! Are you on glue or something?? you fly into Calgary and then DRIVE to Vancouver, otherwise you're missing 90% of the sights!! if you fly right into VYR, get nothing but the city! Trust me, mate, Western Canada is a LOT more than just Vancouver. Hell, BC is a HELLOVA lot more than 'just Vancouver'. Ya gotta do it proper.

cmdrkoenig67
07-29-2005, 02:22 PM
Hmmmm...more to think about.

Dana

HappyCanuck
07-29-2005, 02:25 PM
You know how to find me. Remember, I work in the service industry, in a restaurant along the TransCanada Highway: half of my job is menu-knowledge. The other half is impromptu tourist info kiosk :D

Ben
07-29-2005, 02:29 PM
well, I can't say much about TO, only been there once, and it was a long time ago. But PEI is always a great vacation destination ;)

Ben

HappyCanuck
07-29-2005, 02:31 PM
Heh, there you go, Dana. You and Kurt have been invited to visit both ends of our wonderful country. I'd recommend skipping most of the middle parts, as they tend to be bland, but either coast is absolutely gorgeous.

cmdrkoenig67
07-29-2005, 02:32 PM
No no no no, man! Are you on glue or something??

Mmmmmmmm...gluuuuuuue.

Powersurge
07-29-2005, 03:20 PM
I lived the early years of my life in the Maritimes, spent a couple years in the suburbs of TO, all of my teenage years on the prairie, and we have long since migrated, overland, from Winnipeg to Vancouver Island in the West.

What an awesome and diverse country we live in!!! I miss the "big sky" and open horizons of the prairies, to say nothing of the sense of history bound up with Ontario/Quebec and the ancient Atlantic, but they don't call it supernatural BC for nothing!!!

Of course, a big city is a big city is a big city.

HappyCanuck
07-29-2005, 03:23 PM
I lived the early years of my life in the Maritimes, spent a couple years in the suburbs of TO, all of my teenage years on the prairie, and we have long since migrated, overland, from Winnipeg to Vancouver Island in the West.

What an awesome and diverse country we live in!!! I miss the "big sky" and open horizons of the prairies, to say nothing of the sense of history bound up with Ontario/Quebec and the ancient Atlantic, but they don't call it supernatural BC for nothing!!!

Of course, a big city is a big city is a big city.

Heh, I live on the northern tip of the Kooteney Range. Trust me, you don't know how 'Super. Natural' BC is until you've spent time in the smaller towns in the Rockies. (btw, those 'mountains' that you see around Vanc, or even Kelowna - they're not the Rockies, those are more the Canadian Lumpies compared to what i go to bed to every morning...)

Mokole
07-29-2005, 05:19 PM
Ah, the simple life and pleasures of the Prairies.. no murders in forever, no break-ins in town in a decade, only one criminal and he's just , well, pretty mixed up and loonie.

I like it here and enjoy those walks and playing wth the tykes.

Legerd
07-29-2005, 08:46 PM
I hate the Skydome and the CN Tower, too
I hate Nathan Phillips Square and the Ontario Zoo
the rent's too high, the air's unclean
the beaches are dirty and the poeple are mean

and the women are big and the men are dumb
the children are loopy 'cause they live in a slum
the water is polluted and the mayor's a dork
the people dress real bad and they think they're New York

I'm serious, don't go there. It's got to be the crappiest city I've ever been to. It stinks like a dump, especially when it's incredibly hot out (which is almost always), the line to get into the CN Tower is like five or six miles long...Worst. Vacation. Ever.

Before you start spouting off BB maybe you should know what you're talking about.

a) It's the Rogers Centre not Skydome.
b) It's the Metropolitan Toronto Zoo not the Ontario Zoo.
c) The rent in Vancouver I believe is higher.
d) Okay we have dirty air but name a major city that doesn't.
e) I was born and raised in the east end of T.O. and am actually quite a nice guy. (IMO) At least I don't mouth off about someone else's city!
f) The current Miss Universe is from Toronto.
g) I don't think I'm dumb. (Scored just below genius on my IQ test :P )
h) Most kids live in the suburbs.
i) Yeah, the water is polluted but again show me a major city without pollution.
j) The mayor is a nice enough guy.
k) People dress in a wide variety of ways here because the city is so multicultural. In fact it was voted the most multicultural city in the world by the U.N.
l) Toronto is the Canadian equivalent of New York so I see how you might be confused.
m) The last time I went to the CN Tower I walked right in, no line up. Did you perhaps go with a tour group?

Don't listen to the nay sayers Dana Toronto is a great vacation place. There's the Royal Ontario Museum; the Ontario Science Centre; the Hockey Hall of Fame; the world famous Silver Snail comics shop; Kensington Market; the Hummingbird Centre; Roy Thompson Hall; the Pantages Theatre; the Princess of Wales Theatre (where The Lord Of The Rings is playing); Honest Ed's; the City TV building with Speaker's Corner; the numerous bars and cafes; the Caribana Parade which is currently happening as well as taking in a baseball, football and basketball game. That's not to mention the CN Tower, bus tours of the city and the Toronto Festival of Beer! There's so much stuff that goes on here I can't mention it all!

Big Boss, I will give you credit for the rhyme since it was a good effort.

rplass
07-29-2005, 10:03 PM
Yar, I had fun in Toronto back when I went there for the turning of the New Year in 1996-7. We didn't do anything all that touristy except the antique market downtown and eat at the revolving restaurant at the top of the Westin. We booked a room at the Westin with a great view of the Harbor, and watched the little ferries go back and forth among the islands. I remember it being so cold.
http://www.geocities.com/rplass/afcollector/coc3b.jpg
She was always cold, so the first thing I did when we got into the room was go to the thermostat and was quite befuddled by the Celsius scale: 10 20 30. Hornswaggled, I picked 30. It had just snowed and we took her little Honda Civic into an empty parking lot and did snow-donuts for hours. Also there were ducks and geese in the water right by the dock so we fed them. During the meal at the restaurant (I ordered quail), I proposed to her, but in a very rhetorical and discoursive way, not the traditional way. We ended up talking about it way past the dessert, continued out in the hotel bar and finally we went to the antique market the next day to pick up an antique engagement ring fashioned in the 1850s. Then we went to a mall in Thornhill and bought a birdcage for the pet bird I was going to get her for a present. On the way home we had to refill the tank with gas and was again befuddled by the price, because it was both in Canadian dollars and liters, not gallons, so I had to perform calculus just to fill up the tank. We stopped at Niagara Falls on the way back and saw ice everywhere from the frozen mist. An awesome trip.

Six mo later we broke off the engagement and I gave the pet bird to my mom, but that's a whole different story.

Oh, and if you're looking for a place to visit, come to NYC. It's the best place to visit in the world. Also, I live there so you can come visit me and see my neato AF stuff.

Love,
rplass

Big Boss
07-29-2005, 11:43 PM
I live in Vancouver. It's a lovely city, especially the scenery, but don't break any bones, the healthcare sucks. It's so bad that Campbell's anal intruder government is selling it to some American corporation which I think is one of the worst things this country has ever done.

Big Boss
07-30-2005, 12:04 AM
Actually, I stole the rhyme from a band called Three Dead Trolls in a Baggie. Look, no matter how nice your trip was, the fact is is that when I went to Toronto in 2003, it sucked rocks.

Mokole
07-30-2005, 03:32 AM
I thought Three Dead Trolls in a Baggie was a comedy group from Edmonton?

Legerd
07-30-2005, 11:58 AM
Actually, I stole the rhyme from a band called Three Dead Trolls in a Baggie.

Then I take back the credit i gave you.

Powersurge
07-30-2005, 01:31 PM
Back when I was renting, the rent for a 2 bedroom apartment in Victoria far exceeded what we paid for a 3 bedroom, 2 floor, 1 washroom, 1 bathroom, airconditioned, wash and dyer included townhouse in Winnipeg.

Now, thats Winnipeg, but I can't imagine rent in Ontario being as high as rent here in BC. Of course, while not every apartement in Victoria has a view, I had what numeorus guests, native of Victoria, described as an "Olympian" view .... the harbour and straight with the snow capped mountains in the background. Absolutely breathtaking, and with absolutely no impact in the rent ... at least in relation to other apartments in Victoria.

Now we own, but I miss the view SOOOO much.