PDA

View Full Version : Supers and the Real World

Powersurge
07-31-2005, 02:04 PM
If someone has an unregistered gun, they are breaking our laws.

If someone is carrying a registered gun, without a permit to carry, they are breaking our laws.

If someone builds a nuclear explosive in their basement, they are breaking our laws.

It seems pretty cut and dry.

However, somehow we manage to muster sympathy for our favourite superheroes, despite the rogue nature of some of those favourites. I suppose it could be chalked up to the focus of the stories we read of them, which play on our human nature and invite sympathy. But really ...

... if all of a sudden people started popping up in our world here around us with the destructive capabilties of a nuclear missle, be it via science, ahem, "natural" mutation, or hi-tech, would that not demand somekind of legislation and accountability?

Really, who would have a problem with mutants (as well as other "supers") being required to register? We require gun owners to register. Any we don't allow possession of automatic weapons, explosives, and weapons of mass destruction outside of special police units and the military, so would anyone really have problem if an unsanctioned super was forced to wear power suppressors and faced stiff penalties if they were unlawfully removed? Or even forcefully labotamized (sp?), ie. disarmed?

I mean really, if you don't have super-powers yourself, then a super-powered world would be a scarey world to live in. Would you oppose such registration and contraints on supers, or would you be cool with all of these supers walking around, freely and unmoderated, with their powers, while normal ol' you can't even carry around a derringer without breaking the law?

Mokole
07-31-2005, 03:00 PM
Which is why Department H, The Super-Powers Registration Legislation Act from issue #100, even SHIELD, make sense. IN the real world you're right, laws about superpowers would be rampant, as they should, and Department H would be so natural, justice like External Affairs, Health Canada.

Legerd
08-01-2005, 02:41 AM
Yeah, but who is going to tell the Hulk he has to register? :(

Still, the idea that a power like the UN say, with the full backing of all the member countries, demanding that all "powered" beings be required to register with them would make for a cool thread running through every title. If a person doesn't register then SHIELD is sent after them and they are taken in to cutody. Imagine what would happen throughout the entire MU if this was the case! Some people may feel it's their duty to register while others think it's a violation of their rights and freedoms. Heroes could end up turning against one another leading to worldwide anarchy.

Hmmmm, anarchy. 8)

syvalois
08-01-2005, 10:27 AM
But what about the right to privacy? Don't forget that they are humans too, living been. They are not only a weapon. Guns, nuclear and all the stuff you named make reference to an object not the person themselves.

It's like every human as the potential to hurt and kill someone, but they don't go directly to prison. Yes, we do have passport when we go out of a country but it's not based on our color, sexual orientation or anything that personnal.

But the question is good. I just don't see a easy answer to that. Registration would scare a lot of people when you think that many people where opposed to putting our picture to the health assurance card and to our driving licence so times back.

Le Messor
08-02-2005, 12:54 AM
You have to buy a gun. Then you have to carry it. But these superheroes (usually) are born with their powers, or gain them by accident, then can't drop them / leave them behind.
"We licence people to drive--but not to live."
The debate has been going on in Marvel comics for years; but in real life, where do you draw the line? {nemesis} (Sorry, somebody just told me to put in an emoticon.)
Would Mike Tyson have to register? Is he 'super'? How 'bout Mozart? Doug Ramsey, or Puck? Do you know if somebody is just good at something, or a super?
(There are powers, of course, where there's no such line--the ability to project force beams springs to mind).

I imagine, in the real world, shopping malls would have power dampers (if such things could exist), and it'd be illegal to use powers there--too easy to steal. But to register individuals? Even if it could be enforced, even if you could prove they knew they were super, it'd be a huge violation of their rights. (Which may or may not be a bad thing, but is hardly acceptible in today's world.)

- Le Messor
"So you think you can stone me and spit in my eye?"
- Queen

Barnacle13
08-02-2005, 05:35 PM
Have you seen a Mike Tyson fight lately! Unless glass jaw can classify as a super power then he ain't "super". Although he does have that annoyingly high pitched voice! Hmmm. Maybe you're on to something!