PDA

View Full Version : I've found Serenity

Le Messor
09-18-2005, 01:12 AM
... This is completely off-topic, but you guys are geeky enough to relate.

I got to see a preview screening of _Serenity_ (The _Firefly_ movie) last Monday. Yay! Excellent movie, great follow-up to the series. Highly recommended.

Afterwards, I got to talk to Joss Whedon. Woo! (now with added Hoo!)
I'm so excited.
I asked him, as I've been wanting to for -years- what it is he has against Christians. His (typically brilliant) Joss answer:
"I want to make it perfectly clear, I've got nothing against Christianity. Just you."

:D

- Le Messor
Q: If you could bring five people onto a desert island, who would you bring?
Joss: ... and George Bush, because we'd have to have something to eat.

MistressMerr
09-18-2005, 11:39 PM
YOU LUCKY @#$!%!!! Seriously, congrats man, that RULES. I'm still couting down days to the 30th.

syvalois
09-19-2005, 01:59 PM
ok, call me ignorant, but what is Serenity? Ok, I've seen the cool official website, but well, it do not tell me why you are so excited about that movie. There was a serie about that? ok, that may explained it.

is it just me or Whedon as a thing for strange names, after Buffy, angel and spike now it's Wash, Jayne(for a man, no?), River, book and Mr. Universe(???). As for Mal, I find it funny that it's mean evil in french.

but the best is your quote Mik, I just love it:)

MistressMerr
09-19-2005, 08:42 PM
Well, to be fair, Wash is short for Washburn, which is his last name, although his first name is Hoban, which I suppose isn't too much better. And Book is a last name too.

Also, the Tams are totally descendants of the Beaubiers.

syvalois
09-20-2005, 12:34 AM
Also, the Tams are totally descendants of the Beaubiers.

Any particular reasons? Well except they are dark haired.

MistressMerr
09-20-2005, 01:27 AM
You got the dedicated, loving brother who can be a pompus jerk and the somewhat crazy sister. Also, for some reason, a lot of people seem to think Simon's gay.

syvalois
09-20-2005, 01:29 AM
You got the dedicated, loving brother who can be a pompus jerk and the somewhat crazy sister. Also, for some reason, a lot of people seem to think Simon's gay.

ok, I can see the link now:)

Le Messor
09-25-2005, 02:07 AM
The series is 'Firefly'. A brilliant sci-fi western, which is worth everybody watching. (If you don't like it, that's okay, but watch and see for yourself.)
It was created by Joss Whedon, who also did 'Buffy' and 'Angel'.

The movie follows on from the series brilliantly. Its focus makes it less Western than the series, but it has the same great dialogue, the same... Oh, it's great. Just watch it, if you love the series.
It also answers a few questions.

(And is very difficult to review without spoilers. I read two 'spoiler-free' reviews before watching it, and both told me the same huge spoiler. D'oh!)

"is it just me or Whedon as a thing for strange names, after Buffy, angel and spike now it's Wash, Jayne(for a man, no?), River, book and Mr. Universe(???). As for Mal, I find it funny that it's mean evil in french. "

Jayne is also a last name. Buffy isn't that strange--I knew a Buffy once. Angel's original name was Liam (we don't know his last); Spike's was William; River's unusual, but not impossible, and Mr. Universe is probably an alias. Mal is short for Malcolm, and common in English. But it's kind of funny, too. (Could also mean pain, n'est-ce-pas?)
Then again, I find it funny that 'Bless' is French for 'Injure'. {nemesis}

- le Messor
"Do not kiss an elephant on the lips today."

cmdrkoenig67
09-25-2005, 03:18 AM
A friend gave me some episodes of Firefly, earlier this year....He knew I loved Buffy and Angel(and I knew the series was from Whedon too), so he thought I like it.

I began watching the first episode and thought...
"OMG...it's a sci-fi western."

I cringed through the rest of the episode...and I haven't been able to get through the later episodes without losing interest. The twangy soundtrack even gave me the willies. My problem? I just can't stand westerns....I have never been able to sit through a whole western film or tv episode. My parents watched a lot of "Big Valley", "Bonanza", "Gunsmoke", etc...when I was a kid(and yes....this tortured me). They also loved country music....my sister loves now too...BLECH!

Too each their own....If you guys like it?...Cool. It's neat that you enjoyed the film, Le Messor and also really cool that you got to meet Joss.

Dana

syvalois
09-25-2005, 12:12 PM
Mal is short for Malcolm, and common in English. But it's kind of funny, too. (Could also mean pain, n'est-ce-pas?)

yes it can mean pain or desise depending of the context.

Then again, I find it funny that 'Bless' is French for 'Injure'. {nemesis}

lol, I'm all mixed up which word is in french? "Blessé" you meant ? because in french "injure" means in english insult.

Sorry for the french class

MistressMerr
09-25-2005, 01:23 PM
Jayne is also a last name.

Are you sure? I thought his last name was Cobb.

Le Messor
10-01-2005, 11:15 PM
Jayne is also a last name.
Are you sure? I thought his last name was Cobb.

Mutts, now I feel stupid. Yep, it is.

Well, Firefly's not for everyone; I've seen a few people complain about the Westerness of it--and that may be part of the reason I've never liked it as much as Buffy or Angel. That said, it didn't bother me -much-; Star Wars and Trek were both heavily influenced by Westerns.

Sylvie, the word 'blessé' in French means wounded. In English the word 'bless' means 'bénédiction' (I think I'm getting the French right, though I changed from a verb to a noun).

- Le Messor
"Do not read this sig under penalty of law. (Penal Code sec. 2.3.2 (II.a))"

syvalois
10-04-2005, 11:45 AM
Sylvie, the word 'blessé' in French means wounded. In English the word 'bless' means 'bénédiction' (I think I'm getting the French right, though I changed from a verb to a noun).

yes, you are right, thinks for the clarification.

JohnnyCanuck
10-04-2005, 11:47 PM
River's unusual, but not impossible...

Not impossible given her real name is Summer...!

JC

Le Messor
10-08-2005, 10:53 PM
Not to mention, I know a girl named Summer.
Ooh, and a family whose kids names were (probably still are, but it's been, like, twenty years) Sunny, Brook, Sky, and Meadow. (Sky was the boy.)

- Le Messor
"Stinky, Fatso, and Stretch? Wow, cruel parents."
- Christina Ricci, _Casper_

Legerd
10-09-2005, 11:49 PM
Not to mention, I know a girl named Summer.
Ooh, and a family whose kids names were (probably still are, but it's been, like, twenty years) Sunny, Brook, Sky, and Meadow. (Sky was the boy.)

- Le Messor
"Stinky, Fatso, and Stretch? Wow, cruel parents."
- Christina Ricci, _Casper_

I used to work with a woman named January, because that was the month she was born in. If I remember right her sister was named November for the same reason. Wow, how lazy were her parents?

Le Messor
02-11-2006, 10:34 PM
Just to annoy everyone further, especially those who were jealous I saw the movie early...

I'm on the DVD.
Seriously.

The Australian edition includes the Q & A session I was at on the second disk. If you live here, and are curious about what I'm like, I'm the first question on chapter 2. (Though I think I usually look and sound worse than that. Of course, you only see me for about two seconds).

The guy with red hair and glasses next to me is the same guy who showed me the Hudsons in X-Men Legends 2.

- Le Messor
"I'm April... May June. From the... Daily Magic... Times... Gazette... Monthly." - Stripperella, struggling for an alibi
"There is no April May June at the Daily Magic Times Gazette Monthly."
- her mark, later

JohnnyCanuck
02-13-2006, 01:15 AM
I used to work with a woman named January, because that was the month she was born in. If I remember right her sister was named November for the same reason. Wow, how lazy were her parents?

Let's ask Tuesday Wells(sp?) Parents

Besides anyone watching American soap operas is barraged with names that most people wouldn't use.

JC

kozzi24
02-14-2006, 10:26 AM
Besides anyone watching American soap operas is barraged with names that most people wouldn't use.

JC
Funny...the soaps are actually a huge influence on the names people give their babies.

syvalois
02-14-2006, 11:27 AM
Funny...the soaps are actually a huge influence on the names people give their babies.

Don't tell me there is a lot of young girls named Cricket, no?

HappyCanuck
02-14-2006, 11:56 AM

Don't tell me there is a lot of young girls named Cricket, no?

You'd be surprised m'dear, you'd be surprised. I know of six Crickets born in 2005/06 alone.

JohnnyCanuck
02-14-2006, 11:09 PM

JC

That doesn't make them good names ;or right. How impressed is a kid gonna be when the say who'd you name me after and you answer after Victor's third child from his fourth wife.

JC