PDA

View Full Version : How fast?

-K-M-
09-22-2005, 01:12 AM
How fast has Aurora or Northstar shown to go? it's possible for them to reach 99% of lightspeed, but how fast have they been shown so far. Mostly Northstar now due to Aurora's operation. Also what issue did it occur in.

Mokole
09-22-2005, 01:22 AM
In Wolverine #29 (or 30?) they said that, after the hand got hold of him, Northstar could go Mach 3.

MistressMerr
09-22-2005, 02:44 AM
I'm pretty sure he can go faster than that, the Hand upgraded him and he could go Mach 10 before. Aurora, after her first downgrade, could go Mach 1, the speed of sound, no telling how subsequent power tweaks have affected her speed.

So, basically, it's kinda undefined at the moment. Northstar should be over Mach 10 though.

cmdrkoenig67
09-22-2005, 12:23 PM
I wonder if he could actually reach lightspeed, if he were in outer space(with the proper breathing apparatus and suit, of course)?

Dana

-K-M-
09-22-2005, 01:49 PM
Yeah I figured he was shown to be able to go Mach 10, I just wanted issue numbers to prove he can.

-K-M-
09-22-2005, 07:54 PM
Sorry for the double post, but when was it stated that Aurora could reach 99% of lightspeed? wasn't it vol.1 #19?

cmdrkoenig67
09-22-2005, 08:49 PM
http://forum.alphaflight.net/viewtopic.php?t=956&start=30

Northstar and Aurora's impact resistance must increase with their speed usage...or Jean Paul would be breaking his bones pulling that maneuver.

Dana :D

-K-M-
09-22-2005, 09:45 PM
http://forum.alphaflight.net/viewtopic.php?t=956&start=30

Northstar and Aurora's impact resistance must increase with their speed usage...or Jean Paul would be breaking his bones pulling that maneuver.

Dana :D

Indeed, I just posted the scans to show that Northstar can be pretty badass.

Anyways know the answers to my above questions?

cmdrkoenig67
09-22-2005, 10:24 PM
I know it says it on Northstar's Handbook Master Edition page.

Dana

MistressMerr
09-22-2005, 10:41 PM
He seems to have even higher impact resistance thanks to the hand. He flew THROUGH a sentinal. Before he was just smashing guys twice his size through trees, not plowing through solid metal. That is hardcore.

Did I use the term just smashing people through trees? God I love comic books.

And I don't think the Mach 10 limit/potential for 99% light speed thing was mentioned anywhere other than the Handbook, but I know it hasn't been discounted, so it's what I go by.

Powersurge
09-22-2005, 11:46 PM
He seems to have even higher impact resistance thanks to the hand. He flew THROUGH a sentinal. Before he was just smashing guys twice his size through trees, not plowing through solid metal. That is hardcore.

Just a thought, but maybe he's able to do that by virtue of the same principle that enables a hurricane force wind to drive a mere sheaf of wheat through/into the trunk of an oak?

kozzi24
09-22-2005, 11:50 PM
Fastest I remember him going was his attempt to escape earth gravity during his re-introduction in Volume 2. Don't remember if he's been clocked, tho.

MistressMerr
09-23-2005, 12:32 AM
Fastest I remember him going was his attempt to escape earth gravity during his re-introduction in Volume 2. Don't remember if he's been clocked, tho.

I don't think he has, not in an actual comic, just the handbooks.

-K-M-
09-23-2005, 01:24 AM
Which handbook was the 99% of light speed mentioned in?

MistressMerr
09-23-2005, 02:27 AM
Deluxe and Master editions, the only ones the twins were in as far as I know.

cmdrkoenig67
09-23-2005, 03:08 AM

The twins were in the original handbooks too, MM...however, I don't recall if that specific speed term was mentioned.

...And for Pete's sake, King_Mungi... I informed you in what Handbook I saw it in my post above(on Northstar's page...it isn't mentioned on Aurora's). Do you have the handbooks? If you don't have the handbooks....Here's a link that should help...

http://www.unfluffybunny.com/cripp12/M-N/tf_Northstarback.jpg

Dana

Edited because I was fairly peeved when I wrote it.

MistressMerr
09-23-2005, 03:38 AM
*looks it up*

Well, I'll be jiggered, the Original has all that too, specific and all. It just doesn't mention the 99% thing, it just says they can approach it. The Original is less bare-bones than I rememberd it.

cmdrkoenig67
09-23-2005, 03:42 AM
Sorry MM....Like I said above(and I'm guessing you read my first post)...I was peeved when I wrote it. I "looked it up" tooooooo.

Dana

MistressMerr
09-23-2005, 03:44 AM
Hrm, I'm a tad confused. Are we talking about different handbooks? Because I have the Original and Deluxe Editions, what was that one you posted a link from? I don't recognize it.

EDIT: Master Edition. Dur. :oops:

cmdrkoenig67
09-23-2005, 03:50 AM
LOL...no problem. This website has pretty much every page of the Master Ed scanned front and back.

http://www.unfluffybunny.com/cripp12/

It's pretty cool that UB(Unfluffy Bunny, I know of him from the Freedom Force Forums) did this.

Dana

syvalois
09-23-2005, 07:34 AM
LOL...no problem. This website has pretty much every page of the Master Ed scanned front and back.

http://www.unfluffybunny.com/cripp12/

Dana

But that handbook got mistakes in it. Jeanne-marie and not Jean-Marie like it was told in it. And I think the terrrorist group was named in the issue where Clémentine appears first. I mean there is no other terorist group in existance in québec, it's the FLQ. And it say he as superhuman level reflexes, when Byrne said otherwise. Again Raymonde is a woman's name but it was byrne mistake so I understand that one. And base of operation, don't you think they should have added Montréal to that list?

cmdrkoenig67
09-23-2005, 01:32 PM
Geez...you're right, Sylvie....there is a bunch of screw-ups in his entry. Nobody's perfect.

Dana

suzene
09-23-2005, 03:56 PM
Again Raymonde is a woman's name but it was byrne mistake so I understand that one.

I never have been able to figure out if that was a mistake or a quasi-subtle attempt to make Raymonde more...um...femmy by making the name deliberately incorrect. Would the names be pronounced the same?

Suzene

-K-M-
09-23-2005, 05:22 PM

The twins were in the original handbooks too, MM...however, I don't recall if that specific speed term was mentioned.

...And for Pete's sake, King_Mungi... I informed you in what Handbook I saw it in my post above(on Northstar's page...it isn't mentioned on Aurora's). Do you have the handbooks? If you don't have the handbooks....Here's a link that should help...

http://www.unfluffybunny.com/cripp12/M-N/tf_Northstarback.jpg

Dana

Edited because I was fairly peeved when I wrote it.

My mistake, I have the Handbooks of: Book of the Dead 2004, Spider-Man 2005, Teams 2005, Wolverine 2005 & Handbook: Ultimate Spider-Man & F4. However, I have never heard of the Deluxe or Master editions so I had no clue what you were talking about. Sorry about that.

cmdrkoenig67
09-23-2005, 05:52 PM
No worries.

Dana

cmdrkoenig67
09-23-2005, 06:05 PM
Again Raymonde is a woman's name but it was byrne mistake so I understand that one.

I never have been able to figure out if that was a mistake or a quasi-subtle attempt to make Raymonde more...um...femmy by making the name deliberately incorrect. Would the names be pronounced the same?

Suzene

Sylvie may correct me(and slap me around for getting it wrong :wink: ), but they would be pronounced slightly different.

Raymond would have a silent "d" on the end, while Raymonde...you'd hear the "d" and it would have a very slight "ah" sound at the end.

Dana

syvalois
09-23-2005, 06:18 PM

Suzene

Well, in french Raymond and Raymonde is not pronounced the same but in english raymonde is pronounced like you would say Raymond. Do you understand? Like for an anglophone it's very hard to say Raymond because you don't have an equivalent. Like Justin Timberlake or Germaine Jackson, has a feminin name for francophone when spoken.

I had the same question if it was intended or not and I'm not sure. It may not be Byrne fault but the letterer mistake too. But then again Byrne never gave any Qebecer character a typical Quebecer name and Belmonde just don't exist at all and is gramatically impossible. So I just think Byrne was pretty much ignorant about french or quebec particulity.

I was also wondering why in the handbook the section strenght jp was listed as superhuman (leg press only). why his legs? JP is not a runner but a flyer, no?

MistressMerr
09-23-2005, 08:00 PM
I was also wondering why in the handbook the section strenght jp was listed as superhuman (leg press only). why his legs? JP is not a runner but a flyer, no?

It almost looks like they copied and pasted from Quicksilver's entry. :roll: