PDA

View Full Version : Which Alphans are depowered (spoilers? kind of)

Adam
12-21-2005, 09:28 PM
More info I gleaned from this copy of Wizard. I have no idea if this is a spoiler as there's no indication if this is just from a list Marvel gave out or it's going to be the subject of a comic one day but I'll give some space regardless.

Depowered Alpha related mutants so far:

Flex
Ghost Girl
Jade Dragon
Mesmero
Murmur
Radius
Wildchild
Windshear

MistressMerr
12-21-2005, 10:21 PM
I've known about it for a while, but I'm still supremely bummed about Mesmero, he's one of my favourite characters.

cmdrkoenig67
12-21-2005, 10:31 PM
I've heard about the rest, but not Windshear....where did you hear about him, Adam? This is where I heard about the list from Wizard and Windshear apparently isn't on it(or at least he wasn't posted by the person that posted the Wizard list...for some reason).

http://www.comixfan.com/xfan/forums/showthread.php?t=34703&page=10&pp=20

It's kind of a moot point with Radius, since he's...well...dead and all.

Dana

Adam
12-21-2005, 11:07 PM
Windshear's in the list on page 87. The list you linked to is missing a good 2/3rds of the names here. It's a big list.

kozzi24
12-22-2005, 01:24 AM
I noticed a couple things to make me a skeptic of the list.
The first is some characters I'm not sure are mutants, but I'm not really motivated to research it.
Many of the characters on the list haven't been seen in years, and it sometimes seems like the list is a tabulation of characters who have been in limbo forever. Some of those limbo characters like Radius as Dana pointed out, are already dead.
"Hazard" is in both categories. I remember him from early Unadjective X-Men, but don't remember if he's a mutant and don't think he's been used since.
One point that makes me skeptical is ALL of the characters from Excalibur Volume Two seem to be on the list. Claremont is known for his loyalty to his pet characters, so will he quietly let just about everything from that Excalibur go? I doubt it. Xavier's part of the Illuminati, isn't he?
I don't read Wizard. What's their list quoted from, named sources or someone official and open with Marvel? There's no list on their site.

Mokole
12-22-2005, 02:20 AM
I think each writer will use whatever mutants his editor lets him get away with. So in Wolverine you might see Windshear depowered but making hard air sculptures in Astonishing, or Flex at a universiy depowered but at a meeting in uniform, powered. I doubt they'll try hard for continuity. That'll make it hard to create a true list of the depowered.

AF in 2006 is a great idea, though :D

cmdrkoenig67
12-22-2005, 04:41 AM
I noticed a couple things to make me a skeptic of the list.
The first is some characters I'm not sure are mutants, but I'm not really motivated to research it.
Many of the characters on the list haven't been seen in years, and it sometimes seems like the list is a tabulation of characters who have been in limbo forever. Some of those limbo characters like Radius as Dana pointed out, are already dead.
"Hazard" is in both categories. I remember him from early Unadjective X-Men, but don't remember if he's a mutant and don't think he's been used since.

Hazard is/was a mutant(he was a childhood friend of Xavier and both of their fathers worked at a nuke plant...or something like that).

One point that makes me skeptical is ALL of the characters from Excalibur Volume Two seem to be on the list. Claremont is known for his loyalty to his pet characters, so will he quietly let just about everything from that Excalibur go? I doubt it. Xavier's part of the Illuminati, isn't he?
I don't read Wizard. What's their list quoted from, named sources or someone official and open with Marvel? There's no list on their site.

All I know is...Claremont is partly(a big part from what I've heard) responsible for the depowering of most of the mutants...he was a big supporter of their population being pared down. I'm curious about Wizard's sources too.

Dana

Legerd
12-22-2005, 05:22 AM
Arg, Marvel is killing me!!! Windshear was one of my favourite characters from the original series, but it's par for the course. Whenever an Alphan becomes too powerful he/she is either weakened or killed.

Adam
12-22-2005, 09:32 AM

The magazine describes it as an "official list" for what that's worth.

...and for the record I don't usually read Wizard either. :)

PWalk
12-22-2005, 02:11 PM
Jade Dragon was a mutant? Had no clue and that sucks because Iloved that character.
Windshear is another one worthy of a return but alas now powerless I guess he'll have to settle in for a desk job again.

DelBubs
12-22-2005, 03:18 PM
Jade Dragon isn't/wasn't a mutant. Some one at Marvel should have read his orign. Still they prolly got there info from X-Force history, not AF.

PWalk
12-22-2005, 04:41 PM
Thats what I thought. I always liked that character.

cmdrkoenig67
12-22-2005, 04:53 PM
Arg, Marvel is killing me!!! Windshear was one of my favourite characters from the original series, but it's par for the course. Whenever an Alphan becomes too powerful he/she is either weakened or killed.

I think he could have also been a great black character too(there's not many out there that don't get depowered or killed...thankfully he's only been depowered)...but he can come back and get his powers back...it's not permanent.

Dana

cmdrkoenig67
12-22-2005, 04:56 PM
Hey...Thats right...Jade Dragon was granted his powers via magical means...he isn't a mutant...so he's still powered as far as I'm concerned.

Dana

langkowski_fan
12-22-2005, 05:40 PM
Man, I hated to hear that both Windshear and Wild Child lost their powers. I always hoped that Wild Child would come back to Alpha, and his appearance would be similar to the one in the X-Factor comic. Hated what they did with Kyle in Weapon X. Windshear was always pretty cool too, hate to hear that.

MistressMerr
12-22-2005, 08:50 PM
Looking around, I would not trust that list. Both Skein and Rhapsody, who were listed, have been confirmed by numerous sources to be powered, not to mention the other factual errors present (Jade Dragon, various dead characters, etc...)

As for Alpha Flight, other than Aurora (powered) and Mesmero (not so much), I say it's still all up in the air.

-K-M-
12-22-2005, 09:48 PM
As for Alpha Flight, other than Aurora (powered) and Mesmero (not so much), I say it's still all up in the air.

I wonder if she will go to the X-Mansion or do something.

kozzi24
12-22-2005, 10:14 PM
I'm in the camp of unless you see that the mutant is depowered ON PANEL, then the fate of the character is undetermined. Unless Windshear or Wild Child are featured in Generation M or someplace as having lost his powers, it's not gospel.

I also noticed that Wizard's list seeme to concentrate on characters from the 90's, the "Wizard era" while characters such as Goblyn, Pathway and Persuasion that were created and mostly used pre-Wizard are unmentioned.

-K-M-
12-22-2005, 10:54 PM
Awww what month is it? I picked up the january issue thinking that was the one you guys were talking about

MistressMerr
12-23-2005, 03:12 AM
Issue 172. February.

DelBubs
12-27-2005, 08:57 PM
Considering I haven't picked up a comic for almost a year, just gotta ask. This depowering thing, does it remove just the owers or mutated appearences as well? Does Wildchild still look like Nosferatu or more like the original Kyle Gibney before he was messed about?

mos_def
12-27-2005, 09:14 PM
i always assumed that the nosfaratu look was cuz of Weapon X

Ben
12-27-2005, 09:19 PM
Considering I haven't picked up a comic for almost a year, just gotta ask. This depowering thing, does it remove just the owers or mutated appearences as well? Does Wildchild still look like Nosferatu or more like the original Kyle Gibney before he was messed about?

The way I always saw it was that Kyle was just a kid with a healing factor that went all nasty and ferral when they spliced in Wyre's DNA. Weapon X played around with him more making him all Nosferatu.

Ben

MistressMerr
12-27-2005, 11:15 PM

Due to the chaotic nature of Wanda's powers, a little bit of both. Some mutants who looked freaky woke up perfectly normal while others lost their powers but kept their mutant physiology (Stacy X for example, Polaris still has her green hair, etc.)

rplass
12-29-2005, 08:27 PM
Yeah, the last time there was a mass-mutant-depowering, in Uncanny X-Men #379 (Apr 2000), there was a mix of both losing superpowers and losing mutant appearance. For instance, Nightcrawler lost his powers, and his blue color but still had two fingers on each hand. Maybe his bidactyly was not part of his mutation? Who knows? BTW, Northstar and Aurora make a tiny 1 panel cameo in that issue (note that Northstar is wearing Aurora's costume):

http://www.geocities.com/rplass/afcollector/uxm379.jpg
Love,
rplass

Legerd
12-30-2005, 12:35 AM
Yeah, the last time there was a mass-mutant-depowering, in Uncanny X-Men #379 (Apr 2000), there was a mix of both losing superpowers and losing mutant appearance. For instance, Nightcrawler lost his powers, and his blue color but still had two fingers on each hand. Maybe his bidactyly was not part of his mutation?

Well, in UX #380 Kurt had five fingers. I think in #379 he taped his fingers together to mimic his old appearance if memory serves. The one thing I did notice though is Wolverine's hair never changed in that story even though it's been said his do is due to his mutancy.

HappyCanuck
12-30-2005, 05:19 AM
Yeah, the last time there was a mass-mutant-depowering, in Uncanny X-Men #379 (Apr 2000), there was a mix of both losing superpowers and losing mutant appearance. For instance, Nightcrawler lost his powers, and his blue color but still had two fingers on each hand. Maybe his bidactyly was not part of his mutation?

Well, in UX #380 Kurt had five fingers. I think in #379 he taped his fingers together to mimic his old appearance if memory serves. The one thing I did notice though is Wolverine's hair never changed in that story even though it's been said his do is due to his mutancy.

His hair GROWTH is due to his mutant gene, not his hair STYLE. Still not sure what's up with that...

Legerd
12-30-2005, 06:51 PM
His hair GROWTH is due to his mutant gene, not his hair STYLE. Still not sure what's up with that...

Robin Williams is that hairy and I'm pretty sure he's not a mutant. :lol: Seriously, I read somewhere the reason his hair is fanned like that was due to his hair being akin to spines (ala porcupine) which allowed them to remain up like that, which would come from his mutant gene. Now that's what I read, whether that's the official explaination or not I couldn't say.

bigbloo
12-31-2005, 04:11 AM

I wonder if she will go to the X-Mansion or do something.

I think all of the 198 remaining powered mutants go to the X-mansion in the Xmen 198 series. Then they end up.... SURPRISE!... fighting each other.

bigbloo
12-31-2005, 04:13 AM
BTW, Northstar and Aurora make a tiny 1 panel cameo in that issue (note that Northstar is wearing Aurora's costume):

http://www.geocities.com/rplass/afcollector/uxm379.jpg
Love,
rplass

hehehe I wonder exactly how many time thats happened? can you imagine him in the yellow costume??? :shock: :D