PDA

View Full Version : Mac & Heather, Maybe ?

DelBubs
01-03-2006, 05:32 PM
I wonder if Mac & Heather (http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?s=63f0e477f7c6710edcfb719869bfd79c&threadid=54265) will get a mention?

shaman
01-03-2006, 05:53 PM
It states that the link is invalid, at least that's what it said when I clicked it.

DelBubs
01-03-2006, 05:58 PM
Should work now, just me having http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_1_112.gif a brain fart.

Ben
01-03-2006, 06:00 PM
I leafed through a copy of whatever the newest one out is, and it was just Wolvie in Japan, nothing as of yet that I saw to do with Mac and Heather.

Ben

shaman
01-03-2006, 06:14 PM
that's a really cool cover, and I love the quote from one of the guys below replied with "I'm still waiting for the one-shot that will be written by Wolverine; drawn by Wolverine; and guest star Wolverine. Basically, it will be a sketchbook full of stick figures that comes pre-bagged because the shocking conclusion had Wolverine rip the book to shreds in frustration."

Ben
01-03-2006, 06:39 PM
ahhhh soooo, this is somewhat diff from what I saw in the shop today, I guess what I saw was a lead up to it...

Ben

zekethegreat
01-04-2006, 12:35 PM
GREAT!!!
That was all we need!! :roll:
Another series starring Wolverine!!!
Not that I don't think it'll be good, but it's too many comix.

Zeke

DelBubs
01-04-2006, 05:17 PM
A Little Bit More (http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?s=1bf63505f8965db7d9bbcc15778c6867&threadid=54389) with this (http://www.newsarama.com/marvelnew/NextWave/preview.htm) as well. (Some preview pages)
WOLVERINE #38
Written by Written by DANIEL WAY
Layouts by JAVIER SALTARES
Finishes by MARK TEXEIRA
Cover by KAARE ANDREWS
"Origins and Endings"
The entire Marvel Universe holds its collective breathñafter all this time, can it be true? Wolverine returns to his ìbirthplace,î the top-secret military installation known as Department H, the site of the original Weapon X project. But what is he looking for...and who is looking for him? Part 3 of 5
32 PGS./ PARENTAL ADVISORY ...$2.99

Phil
01-05-2006, 10:12 AM
#37 has him ending up at the door to Department K (The shadowy chopshop introduced in... Deadpool I think?), so I think the solicit's wrong...

zekethegreat
01-05-2006, 01:35 PM
#37 has him ending up at the door to Department K (The shadowy chopshop introduced in... Deadpool I think?), so I think the solicit's wrong...

Actually, Dept. K was first introduced in the pages of X-Force (iss. 10), in Deadpool they first explained it's connection to Weapon X.

Yechezkel Pinchas Shalom Kornberg

Mokole
01-05-2006, 07:18 PM
Yah, a lot of people confuse Department H with Department K. However, Department K was destroyed in X-Force or Cable or Wolverine, completely, so how he could show up there... :roll:

zekethegreat
01-06-2006, 07:54 AM
Speaking of the Departments, where do those names come from(H,K)?

HappyCanuck
01-06-2006, 08:37 AM
Department H is named after Mac Hudson. I'm not sure where K came from.

kozzi24
01-06-2006, 09:48 AM
K for Kane, Garrison Kane from early X-Force/Cable, IIRC. He appeared in Alpha circa 116l took out Northstar with electricity.

Garry/Al-Fan
01-06-2006, 12:06 PM
Department H is named after Mac Hudson. I'm not sure where K came from.

Is it? I thought Mac came on board after the department had already gotten started. Bureaucrats probably encouraged Mac to think that the "H" stood for him.

I don' t think it does.

The blue-and-red uniforms of the Beta/Gammas indicates Dept. H has ties elsewhere.

Ben
01-06-2006, 12:18 PM
Department H was created when Mac joined the government after explained what had happened with Jaxon. I think you are reading way more into the colour of the Beta/Gamma suits than really is there :) It is named after him, there has never been any evidence that I know of to prove it existed before him.

Ben

Phil
01-06-2006, 04:19 PM

Actually, Dept. K was first introduced in the pages of X-Force (iss. 10), in Deadpool they first explained it's connection to Weapon X.

Yechezkel Pinchas Shalom Kornberg

Cheers for the correction.
I never read X-Force and wasn't sure hence the 'think' part. I may haveta try and find a copy to flick through.

K for Kane, Garrison Kane from early X-Force/Cable, IIRC. He appeared in Alpha circa 116l took out Northstar with electricity.

Hmm... I thought it was after Killebrew the workshop doc.
Maybe Deadpool & Death '98 retconned the X-Force issue though.

DelBubs
01-06-2006, 08:14 PM
I read both X-Force and Deadpool for a while and took it that it was K for Killbrew.

Deadpool/Death 98 didn't retcon anything I'd read in those comics. The only problem I recall with which was bought up by DMK at the time was DP/D 98 suggested that Mac was aware of K and ergo endorsed K's actions.

zekethegreat
01-07-2006, 12:59 PM
It doesn't make sense that K is after Kane after all, they at one point said that the people that made Logan into Weapon X were working for Dept. K (I think).
Killbrew: how far back is he from, was he involved with Wolverine?

Z-boy

Garry/Al-Fan
01-14-2006, 01:58 PM
Department H was created when Mac joined the government after explained what had happened with Jaxon. I think you are reading way more into the colour of the Beta/Gamma suits than really is there :) It is named after him, there has never been any evidence that I know of to prove it existed before him.

Ben

Ben, you make a good point, so I had to go back to the source material.
It's better laid out in Amazing Heroes# 22 than Alpha Flight #3, but Hudson does become a part of something that has already been started.

AH# 22, page 32, column 1: " 'After losing his job, Hudson took the suit to the Canadian government,' Byrne recounts, 'and...the governement said, "This is great. We've got this department H that we've started up over here. Maybe you should get involved with that".' Alpha, Beta, and Gamma Flights evolved thereafter, and Hudson, 'by setting in motion the chain of events that led to the formation of Alpha Flight, was sort of elected leader without even realizing that it had happened.' "

While Frank Hulme says in AF# 3 [4th page of back-up story], "It seems, you see, that you have been...ah..employed by us for six years--retroactively."

Kind of vague and unexplained, but something was in the works for six years. And Hulme seems to be one of the few geniune bureaucrats who isn't maliciously trying to stab the Hudsons in the back, so "H" could stand for "Hulme" as much as "Hudson" or "Hellfire," since the Beta/Gamma suits look similar to the Hellfire guards. Moreover, Walter felt a vague and unexplained anti-mutant threat was looming, a big enough threat that he took a chance on altering Aurora. Then, during the Mantlo era, Sebastian Shaw made a cameo appearance during the Sentinel story.

Like most of the unexplained (underexplained) dangling plot-threads, I wish the writers could've given the readers a little bit more so a lot of things didn't have to be pieced together or speculated upon.

Powersurge
01-14-2006, 02:29 PM
I don't know for certain what the H in Department H stands for. I thought it stood for Hudson, but I'm not sure where I got that from.

Anyway, it seems safe to assume that as super powered beings began to sprout up in the MU, that the defense departments of various states would begin to look at the phenom.

So, while I'm not sure where, exactly, Mac, et al. fits into the Marvel timeline and the appearance of other heroes (after the FF; where the FF the first?), it seems likely to me that if "Depart.H" didn't exist before Mac, something did. And if Department H didn't exist befoer Mac it was probably heir to whatever did, and thus might be looked upon as Deparmtnet H in retrospect. Does that make sense?!.

DelBubs
01-14-2006, 02:51 PM
I forget exactly where I read it, but I believe Mac spent 10 years developing the suit and other aspects of Dept H after he read of the emergence of the FF.

kozzi24
01-15-2006, 11:01 AM
Didn't Walt change Aurora because he was afraid that the anti-mutant hysteria might spill over from the States?

Mokole
01-15-2006, 06:51 PM
I kind of think the H is for humans, since Dept. H was set up to evaluate and watch/handle paranormals. H as in humans do it. Humans priority.

DelBubs
01-15-2006, 06:59 PM
Taken from DMK's Guide To Alpha Flight (http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Labyrinth/5525/depth.html)

Department H was originally a top secret branch of the Ministry of Defence named after its top employee: James MacDonald Hudson. Using H's resources James Hudson refined the set of armor that he eventually came to wear, and also recruited the other super-human beings that came to form Alpha Flight.

I'm also sure there's a line of text in one of the early issues of AF where Heather reinforces that by saying "It was a bit pretentious of Mac to name it after himself" (not verbatim)

cmdrkoenig67
01-16-2006, 06:24 AM
So...It's very possible that the Canadian government was planning some sort of superhuman powers build up, but it really didn't have a form or name until Mac and Heather came along?

The Weapon X program was around a while before they created Dept H, though...but was that was more of a project created by the U.S. and Canada in unison?

Dana