PDA

View Full Version : Which Guitarist?

DelBubs
02-11-2006, 12:34 PM
As a break from the trials and tribulations of Alpha Flight, I thought I'd ask who you reckon your favourite guitarist is (if you have one)?

I've gone for Richie Blackmore. I've been watching him on a Deep Purple DVD I aquired. It's a recording of them from 1970 doing a couple of songs. That man can work a fret. The stuff he did with Deep Purple and Rainbow gets me bopping even now I'm old and decrepit (got that in before Ben). I'm not saying he's the best, just the one I enjoy listening to the most.

Opinions?

Le Messor
02-11-2006, 09:52 PM
Brian May of Queen; but you knew that. He wrote two of my favourite songs, and played on the third, and I just love his stuff.

After that, prob'ly Chris DeGarmo (Queensrÿche).

- Le Messor
"Don’t worry over what other people are thinking about you. They’re too busy worrying over what you are thinking about them."

Legerd
02-12-2006, 12:43 AM
Alex Lifeson of Rush. Mostly for his ability to weave classical guitar together with hard rock riffs. The first record of their's I ever bought was a 45 with Circumstances on one side and The Trees on the other. I was hooked after that.

Obsidian3d
02-12-2006, 06:25 AM
Prince. Strange individual he may be, but if you've ever had a chance to see this guy play live you'll realize that he doesn't get nearly the credit he's due.

DelBubs
02-12-2006, 09:13 AM
Mik, I kinda guessed that Brian May would be in there and it was a toss up between him and Blackmore, but Blackmore edged it due to his arrogance when playing, it enables him to take us on a musical adventure.

Legard : Liefson is excellent, and it is with pride that I admit to playing so much Rush that all my kids have at least one Rush track on their MP3 players, but Geddy Lee's vocals detract from the work that Liefson does, which is kinda sad. Not that I'm knocking Lee, but he does have a rather unique voice.

Obsidian : Maybe it's my bad,but I've always considerded Prince more of a singer/songwriter than a guitarist. I'm gonna have to listen to something other than Purple Rain to get an idea.

Obsidian3d
02-12-2006, 01:38 PM
Del, you and almost everyone else would probably be in the same boat when it comes to Prince. The fact that the guy plays damned near every instrument known to man, writes, produces, sings and records almost everything does tends to outshine the fact that he's one hell of a guitar player. A few songs I like the guitar work (not necessarily for complexity) on are:

- Chaos and Disorder (Chaos and Disorder)
- Loose (Come)
- Endorphinmachine (Gold Experience)
- Bambi (Prince) <-- He was 18 or 19 when he recorded this.
- Peach (Hits/B-sides disc 2) <-- My personal favorite because it's funny

And it's funny that you mention Purple Rain. Some of the guitar work on that album is fantastic as well. I challenge anyone to actually sit down with the sheet music to the title track and learn the guitar part without getting a few hand cramps. Some of those chords gave me fits at first.

Prince really does shine best live though. I've seen him perform live twice and hands down is the tighest live player I've ever seen.

My next choice would be Jim Martin from Faith No More. Not only is he a hell of a nice guy, some of the stuff he came up with on the first four FNM albums may not be that complicated, but he's a fantastic example of playing exactly what's needed in the spot it should be.

I'd give votes to Dimebag Darryl (RIP), Kenny Wayne Shepherd and Zakk Wylde too.

JohnnyCanuck
02-13-2006, 01:10 AM
Jeff Beck is good. Stevie Ray Vaughn. Eric Clapton. Those guys in Maiden I like. Jimi Page. George Harrison. Jeff Healey.

JC

Legerd
03-10-2006, 08:29 PM
Legard : Liefson is excellent, and it is with pride that I admit to playing so much Rush that all my kids have at least one Rush track on their MP3 players, but Geddy Lee's vocals detract from the work that Liefson does, which is kinda sad. Not that I'm knocking Lee, but he does have a rather unique voice.

Ha ha, the reason I bought that first 45 was because my friend said I had to hear the singer's (Lee's) voice. I think it was Neil Young who said that (professional) Canadian female singers sound like angels, but their male counterparts sound like a bunch of power tools. :lol:

Phil
03-11-2006, 07:51 AM
Dead or not, gonna haveta be Hendrix.

TheQuestionMan
03-15-2006, 01:43 PM
Rush's Geddy Lee (Bass I know, but he is the best)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geddy_Lee

LOL

QM :?:

Le Messor
03-19-2006, 12:53 AM
Rush's Geddy Lee

Rush never made sense to me 'til I started listening to Queensrÿche.
For whatever that means.

- Le Messor
"Did you notice the tears that stained your pillow case
were mine?"
- Queensrÿche

Transmetropolitan
03-19-2006, 02:18 AM
Eh. Can't pick one. I'll do a top five.

Jimi Hendrix
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Eric Clapton
Jimmy Page
Jeff Beck

Snowsquatch
03-19-2006, 02:57 AM
This question is so hard!

I too love Alex Lifeson. He has an approach like no one else.

I am also a big fan of David Gilmour. Slow, but melodic. Haven't bought his new album yet.

Lots of metal players to like, too. James Hetfield's riffs were wicked. Tom Morello is also a great player.

Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson. Great players, but only ok songs.

And of course the mighty Eddie Van Halen. But after For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge all his stuff started sounding the same. "Knowledge" remains the overall best Van Halen album, I think.

But I guess I have to say Lifeson is the best all-around player. Arpeggios, solos, chord progressions: all were great stuff.

Nanostorm
03-30-2006, 12:58 AM
Hmmm.. just have to answer this one.

I'll do a top five also, it's just easier that way.

Steve Hackett of Genesis: he just has a unique style

Steve Howe of Yes

John Petrucci of Dream Theatre, really got me interested in Progressive music when I was younger

Jim Matheos of Fates Warning - his solo album "Away with words" is really good.

and I guess I'll have to say Alex Lifeson on this forum, :)