PDA

View Full Version : Quesada on AF

Adam
02-17-2006, 06:19 PM
NRAMA: Alright, alright…in addition to Ares, we also hear you got something you want to talk about in terms of Alpha Flight. First off, to bring people up to speed, this was their most recent appearance:

Anything you’d like to say Joe?

JQ- They look cold?

NRAMA: Anything serious you’d like to say?

JQ - Well as you know, Alpha Flight had a little bit of trouble in the most recent issue of New Avengers. Heck, I hear that the entire nation of Canada has declared war on Brian Bendis. Anyway, Just so Alpha flight folk don’t spend the entire weekend bummed out, don’t worry too much because there are big plans in the works for our Canadian super team. I think when it all comes to fruition; all our Marvel faithful north of the border are going to be thrilled.

Del just posted this in the big thread, but I think it deserves it's own.

Mokole
02-17-2006, 06:36 PM
Aha! I was right! Maybe this will lead to Alpha Flight in 2006 as I hoped and said too much :wink:

THey look cold, so no dead joke. Maybe Monday we get Marts to say more, since he is an AF fan? Maybe.

BUt it looks like Alpha Flight in NA was what I hoped, a promotion for the next series, not a lead in or death-knell. But it's still speculation, so... Here's hoping more!

-K-M-
02-17-2006, 06:48 PM
That's GREAT news, now I'm stooked.

I was really upset, but now this has turned out pretty good for Alpha Flight

DelBubs
02-17-2006, 06:54 PM
I just hope that we don't see the name Scott Lobdell when the creative team is released, unless it's as the following.
TeaBoy : Scott Lobdell

-K-M-
02-17-2006, 07:48 PM
Over at Newsarama there are a lot of people asking about Aurora, Northstar and Alpha Flight :D

RatCat
02-17-2006, 09:10 PM
I’m still rather miffed at the fact that Alpha Flight was essentially “run over” and defeated by this new enemy (it’s not that the fight was off panel, if you read the book you see that the fight actually was over that quick) and then Captain America and the Avengers will step in and not only put up a fight… but defeat it as well.

Plus I still say that this “new book” is a result of a meeting like this:

“Excuse me Mr. Quesada but we have had a huge outpouring of hate mail from Canada regarding the fate of Alpha Flight”

“Really?”

“Yes, in fact most of them are calling for Bendis to get cancer.”

“Hmm… Ok well let’s see how we can cash in on this. I know, we’ll tell them that we did this as part of a re-launch of the team. That will make them happy.”

“Brilliant strategy sir.”

I’ll buy this new book, but Bendis is still on my drop pile.

DelBubs
02-17-2006, 10:07 PM
All that New Avengers stuff was to create an in for Alpha and bring them into the spotlight. I think we should be thanking Bendis. To my mind, this is the most positive thing I've heard about Alpha in years. Who cares how it was done, Alpha seems to have finally got some respect from the people who matter.

Shaman Of The Whills
02-17-2006, 10:18 PM
there are big plans in the works for our Canadian super team

I hope that this is true, and I would really like to believe that this really was the intention from the beginning (and that it isn't just the team itself, but also the old team, not some newbies)...

However, I'm going to hold on just a little bit longer to start giving my apologies to Marvel for any harsh words I've uttered as I headed to sleep these past few days... if they payoff is indeed quality... then I shall be on my knees to beg. For now I'll just stay sitting.

Obsidian3d
02-18-2006, 12:44 AM
As I'd posted earlier (I think in this thread), there were two ways to go. Now if we ARE going to get some kind of revamped Alpha, be it in their own epynonymous title or as something else, I'm in. I don't care what it's called, I'll give it a shot. If it's well done, I'll continue to buy it.

The question lies in the timing. I think for this to work it needs to be done soon, and I mean VERY SOON. A lot of the people, other the than folks this board, will probably forget about this in short order so they need to strike while the ire is hot. (Yes that's a bad pun)

Shaman Of The Whills
02-18-2006, 12:56 AM
The question lies in the timing. I think for this to work it needs to be done soon, and I mean VERY SOON. A lot of the people, other the than folks this board, will probably forget about this in short order so they need to strike while the ire is hot. (Yes that's a bad pun)

I think that, going only on the above quote and not much else, the likeliness of the Alpha Flight series coming very soon is highly unlikely, however, my hope is that they will continue to appear in the pages of other comic books, building up to their eventual own series (despite my personal desire to see the book start up, oh, say next Wednesday)... most of all, I think this would be important as it would give the Alphans an opportunity to prove their worth and value to the unfamiliar comic community, giving them some respect. Of course I'm on for whatever comes out, no matter what, but in order to be sure that it won't just vanish like previously, the series needs to rebuild a significant fan force, so they definetely need to take some steps to make sure one will be there when they publish it.

suzene
02-18-2006, 03:28 AM
“Excuse me Mr. Quesada but we have had a huge outpouring of hate mail from Canada regarding the fate of Alpha Flight”

“Really?”

“Yes, in fact most of them are calling for Bendis to get cancer.”

“Hmm… Ok well let’s see how we can cash in on this. I know, we’ll tell them that we did this as part of a re-launch of the team. That will make them happy.”

“Brilliant strategy sir.”

Hee!

*snerk*

Ow, ow, ow, ow, ow...snorting hot tea up your nose HURTS. *whimper*

Suzene

Legerd
02-18-2006, 06:26 AM
As I'd posted earlier (I think in this thread), there were two ways to go. Now if we ARE going to get some kind of revamped Alpha, be it in their own epynonymous title or as something else, I'm in. I don't care what it's called, I'll give it a shot. If it's well done, I'll continue to buy it.

I say we flood Marvel with demands that Ed Northcott and J. Torres get handed the task of bringing back AF. We continue with further demands until Joe Q throws up his hands in defeat and says: "Northcott, Torres take care of it 'cause I'm sick of listenin' to them!"

varo
02-18-2006, 07:23 AM
i really hope they do it right this time.

the original team.

dept.h

beta and gamma flights.

Weapon Omega
02-18-2006, 09:50 AM
If Marvel is planning a new Alpha series, having the original members, or most of the original members is a MUST if this new series is to succeed.

Also, promotion is another key factor. Don't just throw it on the shelf with no fanfare. How many times has Marvel done that in the past?

The biggest thing for me is the choice of creative team. Get a writer and artist who love and respect these characters. With the right team, this could really be something. Or, at least make it past 12 issues!

varo
02-18-2006, 01:45 PM
i highly suspect a "a" creative team.

and it wouldn't suprise me if the series launched from the fallout of civil war.

funny rumor i've been hearing is claremont writing the book.

Spyridona
02-18-2006, 03:16 PM

Dude. I'm not fond of the 'new' Claremont but lots of people are. He can write a few cracktacular issues and get fans into this series if that was true.

Of course, knowing Claremont is a femme-slash fanboy at the core, it's going to be very intresting...

HappyCanuck
02-18-2006, 05:50 PM
i highly suspect a "a" creative team.

and it wouldn't suprise me if the series launched from the fallout of civil war.

:shock: You have an odd sence of humour, Varo...

varo
02-18-2006, 05:59 PM
lol.

i'm sory guys, i'm just telling ya what i heard.

not sure what i think about that either. but the fact is his schedule is kinda freed up these days, and he does have a link to the team.

don't forget it was his writing and byrnes art back in the xmen series. not byrnes writing.

HappyCanuck
02-18-2006, 06:05 PM
and if it was the Claremont from 20 years ago, I wouldn't be worried, but he's hit kind of a slump in the last half-decade or so, so that's kinda got me worried...

-K-M-
02-18-2006, 08:11 PM
I believe Claremont just recently said his new series isn't Alpha Flight. I will try to find that interview.

Mokole
02-18-2006, 08:21 PM
I really have no rumours to add but I don't think Claremont is it. Bendis, Vaughn have hidden projects on the way, David, but then there's likely another 30 writers who could be the next one. J. Torres, Frank Tieri, those guys who used to write Academy X, the guys who write it now...

BTW, happy birthday to me! Local time. :wink:

suzene
02-18-2006, 08:47 PM
I really have no rumours to add but I don't think Claremont is it. Bendis, Vaughn have hidden projects on the way, David, but then there's likely another 30 writers who could be the next one. J. Torres, Frank Tieri, those guys who used to write Academy X, the guys who write it now...

BTW, happy birthday to me! Local time. :wink:

Happy Birthday!

Honestly? If it was Weir and DeFillipes of 'Academy X' fame writing this new AF or 'Avengers North' or whatever the hell it's supposed to be, I'd pick the book up in a heartbeat, scruples be damned. One thing that duo seems to get, at least, is the fact that every character is deserving of respect. And they very much wanted to do more with Northstar in their last book, but pretty much got nixed.

Suzene

RatCat
02-18-2006, 09:05 PM
Bendis said flat out on his message board that he was not working on an Alpha Flight book

I'll leave it up to your personal taste to decide if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

varo
02-18-2006, 09:25 PM
it's defitanetly not bendis. he said so on his boards.

maybe pater david or busiek.

thats just me speculating.

varo
02-18-2006, 09:42 PM
btw, i want to give major props to ben and king mungi. surfing every site know to man looking for info on possible writers or info on the next series i have seen multiple refrences to this site, due to the current interview and king mungi's alpha respect thread.

heck i even saw this site mentioned in lying in the gutter.

wow.

varo
02-18-2006, 10:57 PM
btw, i'd hate to be a party pooper, and i'm not even saying this will happen but what if this is the second avengers series they were talking about.

i'd much rather see them in their own book.

-K-M-
02-19-2006, 12:08 AM
btw, i want to give major props to ben and king mungi. surfing every site know to man looking for info on possible writers or info on the next series i have seen multiple refrences to this site, due to the current interview and king mungi's alpha respect thread.

Thanks a lot, we all love Alpha Flight and I want to make sure they are handled with respect. Heck, almost got 10,000 views with my respect thread. :)

Legerd
02-19-2006, 03:01 PM

heck i even saw this site mentioned in lying in the gutter.

wow.

Yeah, way to spread the Alphan Revolution guys! I couldn't believe how fierce Mungi was on the other boards! Scarey! :shock: While Ben was his usual calm, voice-o-reason self who never lost it when idiots would post nasty comments about the Flight or Canadians. Also, I saw some others of you (varo being one) who stood up so kudos to you as well. :D

-K-M-
02-19-2006, 03:07 PM
Yeah, way to spread the Alphan Revolution guys! I couldn't believe how fierce Mungi was on the other boards! Scarey! :shock:

I wasn't that fierce :wink:

kozzi24
02-20-2006, 10:48 AM
maybe pater david or busiek.

thats just me speculating.
Busiek seems kind of doubtful for Alpha. I think he and Byrne have had iddues, Byrne invalidating Untold Tales of Spider-Man with that horrid Year One, Busiek turning the tables by invalidating the WCA retooling/separation of Vision and Original Human Torch.

Busiek, however, would be a wonderful choice of writer.

Shaman Of The Whills
02-24-2006, 03:53 PM
From Quesada today:
NRAMA: Last week you hinted at big plans for Alpha Flight. Mark Millar went one step further and said in Civil War he’s setting up “the possibility of a very good, very high profile Alpha Flight book spinning out of the series."

So in our own self-interest, we’re going to pit you against Millar and suggest you can’t let that typewriter monkey outdo the Marvel Editor-in-Chief. What can you tell fans about the future of Alpha Flight that tops that???

JQ: How about if I tell you that Mark Millar will be writing Alpha Flight? Now I don’t know if that’s true or not but I think Mark may have stated that on his website this week or something. If he isn’t then perhaps enough fans can write to him and have him finally agree to write the book he was born to do.

Of course, earlier he said that the future looked bleak for Alpha Flight, and Millar himself has explained to us that he isn't doing the book, but I like the sound of the "write the book he was born to do"... it makes Alpha seem like something of great value... of destiny... just thought I'd bring this over.

RatCat
02-24-2006, 04:12 PM
One that that bugged me about that quote… Why wouldn’t Joe Q know if Millar is going to write it or not?

That makes me think that we are still quite a long way away from a new book.

Ben
02-24-2006, 04:45 PM
A long way yes, you are talking about 3 or 4 months at least from when something is officially announced to when you see it. If no one is actually working on it, we aren't talking about seeing anything for at least 6 months

Ben

DelBubs
02-24-2006, 04:55 PM
I can't see Marvel leaving it to long, especially with the present high profile Alpha is enjoying.

Weapon Omega
02-24-2006, 04:57 PM
we aren't talking about seeing anything for at least 6 months
Ben

I agree. If you think about it, Civil War isn't even out yet and that's what, a 6-8 issue mini-series??

IMO, the closest we'll see a new Alpha book is late this year/early 2007.

I know it's still rumors, but how great could Millar's Alpha Flight be?!?!?

DelBubs
02-24-2006, 05:01 PM
we aren't talking about seeing anything for at least 6 months
Ben

I agree. If you think about it, Civil War isn't even out yet and that's what, a 6-8 issue mini-series??

IMO, the closest we'll see a new Alpha book is late this year/early 2007.

I know it's still rumors, but how great could Millar's Alpha Flight be?!?!?
Any Alpha Flight with be a bonus, but an AF written by Millar would be excellent imho. I know some people don't like his work, but at least when he writes anything he gives 110% to the characters and story. After the debacle that was vol3, maybe we shouldn't be looking any gift horses in the mouth.

shaman
02-24-2006, 05:23 PM
Here Here!

-K-M-
02-24-2006, 07:22 PM
Marvel is actually adding bios for Alpha Flight members

1. http://marvel.com/universe/Alpha_Flight

Even have bios for Aurora, and Northstar in the X-Men area. Diamond Lil, Wild Child [AoA], Snowbird, Sasquatch [AoA], Vindicator II have bios as well. They are still adding so look for more Alpha Flight members to pop up

Mokole
02-24-2006, 07:26 PM
I agree. An AF series written by Millar would be good because he, like Seagle, takes the time to think and write good plots.

It sounds to me like Joe Q. is being very coy, so one of three scenarios is possible:

- Millar is writing it and just doesn't need to say it, so look for AF no later than August

- Millar isn't writing it but Bendis, Quesada, and he know who is, it's up to Marts to announce it, or an upcoming convention notice. Then August is still a possible date

- They have no one hired and are waiting to get Civil War up and running, then hire for AF, which puts Alpha Flight's release no earlier than October.

I figure the third one is not the most likely. Obviously if Bendis and Millar know so much about a relaunch now, then it's on the schedule and it's in the works, so August at the latest (would writers hint at a relaunch without Quesada's blessing?? I highly doubt it, unless they are leaving Marvel, which they're not; would writers even know about a relaunch if it wasn't true?). They're talking tons about it, so the obvious 'no smoke without fire' applies here. I have no doubt that Marts is the editor.

My guess? Millar isn't writing, neither is Bendis, but people like Pak, or Finch, or David are likely involved.

After all, building up that AF is getting relaunched and then not doing it would be a Bricklinesque mistake.

Anyone post at Millar's board, wherever that is?? :shock:

DelBubs
02-24-2006, 07:39 PM
The Millar Boards are at http://forums.millarworld.tv/

Pak said that he's working on a couple new Marvel projects that he can't discuss just yet. Taken from http://www.newsarama.com/NYCC/Marvel/Mondo/report.htm

varo
02-25-2006, 06:36 PM
i agree with the timeline.

i think civil war will set-up the series, and that isn't over until december.

Legerd
02-26-2006, 01:57 AM
Personally, I think they were surprised by the outpouring by fans for AF when they were "killed" and are backpedalling now. Joe Q was probably covering his posterior when he said the team wasn't dead and that a relaunch was in the works. I'll bet he's scrambling around to get a creative team together to come up with the new book, new team and a new premise for them after the Civil War story is done. Therefore, we'll see AF (or whatever they end up being called) sometime after CW, but in a "we'll see them when we see them" time frame. I hope they don't rush it and take the time to make it good. [-o<