PDA

View Full Version : Marvel International?

Powersurge
02-23-2006, 12:18 PM
I was just thinking the other day about the rest of Marvel Earth, and not so much about AF, but also all of the other great nonAmerican super-teams and super-heroes that are out there. And I was thinking wouldn't it be cool if Marvel came out with an "International" title which would spotlight an ever revolving cast of nonAmerican heroes and groups for single issues or short arcs?

That way, if if AF didn't get a title of their own, or the impending one is a flop, we could still get stories of them ... without having to make them guest stars in someone elses story. And of course, it would be cool to see what is going on in all of the reaches of Marvel Earth without having to commit to, say, a the team-formerly-known-as-the-Soviet-Super-Soldiers title or a Blitzkreig title.

If some foreign hero just stank, well, thats his "last" appearance. And maybe its just me, but aren't min-series alot easier to write than on-going series? So, potentially, if you opened the comic to any writer with a good script on any given month, you could get higher quality plots and stories.

Anyway, just a thought ...

Shaman Of The Whills
02-23-2006, 01:46 PM
I absolutely agree with you on this idea. There have been alot of heroes that have popped up to guest star in a single issue of a series that were foreign heroes, and it'd be nice to see some more of their private exploits. After all, they have to be doing something during all this time, don't they? I think a single title of rotating foreign characters would be really good. One admittedly guilty pleasure I have is the character of "La Bandera" an incredibly cheezy woman that appeared in several issues of the Wolverine title early on (she even made the cover of 20 along with Tiger Shark). Her power was equally as lame as her name, being that she could 'inspire' people. Nevertheless, I still wondered what happened to her after Logan vanished from her life, and as far as I know she has never appeared in a comic since then. It'd even be great to see some of those past characters once more, seeing the dramatic change that might have occurred in the past 15 years. At the very least, there are some great possibilities there. It'd be a good opportunity to also explore some more grounded realistic issues as well, perhaps working in third world countries or confronting issues that don't quite fit as well in such an action packed storyline. Could be fun.

Barnacle13
02-24-2006, 12:32 PM
It would be interesting to see how Sabra is responding to things in the Middle East. I know she's made guest appearances throughout the years. With the hot bed of activity there you'd think there'd be a story or two she could play a role in.

syvalois
02-24-2006, 12:53 PM
It would be interesting to see how Sabra is responding to things in the Middle East. I know she's made guest appearances throughout the years. With the hot bed of activity there you'd think there'd be a story or two she could play a role in.

Definitly, but who can handle a story like that without promoting one side or the other? without taling cliché and stéréotype? It's a very sensible issue and very complexe. But how interesting it would be if done right!

But powersurge, I like your idea. One book, and inside it you get any mini-series. Different creative team for for differents stories, so they would know what they are talking about. Maybe do like Les humanoïdes associés, french comic book company, do: invite creators from many countries to do stories. and not all of them did spoke french, like I saw Cassaday, Busiek, Austen, terry Dobson and many italians that have worked for them.

In the same way Marvel could invite writers and penciller to work for them. French, italian, japanese. That would be cool but maybe expensive in the translator department.

Weapon Omega
02-25-2006, 12:16 PM
Powersurge:

Great Idea man! I don't know if it's because I've been watching the Olympics a lot lately but I do think from time to time of all the international heroes and the potential for great stories that could be written about them.

The "Marvel International" concept could fly I think. Kind of like an anthology series with rotating creative teams.

Characters I'd like to see featured:

Union Jack, Captain Britain, MicroMax-England
Le Peregrine-France
Sabra-Middle East
Shang-Chi-China
Soviet Super Soldiers-Russia
Omerta-Italy
Big Hero 6-Japan
Alpha Flight-Canada
Shamrock-Ireland (I think her name is Shamrock?)

I would have listed Black Panther, but he's got his own series now. I know I'm forgetting some good ones. Anyone else got any ideas?

Powersurge
02-25-2006, 01:34 PM
There is a German hero called Blitzkreig. I think he had a single panel in the first Contest of Champions. :)

I'm sure there are many others already in existence. And I'd imagine that while maybe every country isn't a "super-power", with a whole mess of walking, talking nukes, they probably all have some type of at least low-level superhero/ine. Characters who have not yet been created, and who aren't very well known outside of a city or particular local.

Such a title might also be a good place to showcase nonAmerican characters who are "supposed" to have been big shot superheroes way back, eg. MM Sr., Chinook, but whose careers have never been explored in any great detail.

DelBubs
02-25-2006, 01:59 PM
I would love to see 'The Clandestine' get another look in. Not that stuff after #8 of their own series, but written as they were depicted in the first eight issues.

darc_light
02-25-2006, 04:17 PM
I hate to have to be the one to tell you this, but La Bandera was murdered a while back by a sicko villain calling himself Zeitgeist, who murdered a number of South and Latin American heroes for no conceivable reason (Captain America I #442)...She's profiled at the Appendix

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix3/banderawolv.htm

Marvel wastes so many characters...Don't we have enough useless slaughter in the real world?

DelBubs
02-25-2006, 05:21 PM
Just checked that link to see if that Zeigeist was the same one who appeared in AF #78 (always thought it was #77). Nice to find out a little more aboout him.

Shaman Of The Whills
02-26-2006, 03:54 PM
I hate to have to be the one to tell you this, but La Bandera was murdered a while back by a sicko villain calling himself Zeitgeist, who murdered a number of South and Latin American heroes for no conceivable reason (Captain America I #442)...She's profiled at the Appendix

Ah, too bad. Nevertheless, a good example of a minor seemingly worthless character who gets pushed aside in favor of grander titles and individuals. But glad to at least know what happened to her.

kozzi24
02-27-2006, 07:18 AM
I thought Bliztkreig himself was also slain in that CapAmerica storyline...I'm getting old and my memory may be faulty tho.

DelBubs
02-27-2006, 01:34 PM
Reading the bio's at the above link, then mention is made of the demise of Blitzkrieger.

Powersurge
03-16-2007, 05:08 PM
In the wake of OF being downgraded to a mini-series, I thought I'd bump this thread.

It's a neat idea, I think. 'Specially in the wake of CW and Stark being promoted to top-dog of UN's SHIELD.

Le Messor
03-17-2007, 08:47 PM
I would love to see 'The Clandestine' get another look in. Not that stuff after #8 of their own series, but written as they were depicted in the first eight issues.

Ah, you posted this a year ago. No wonder you didn't think of the new series. I was worried! Thought it'd been cancelled and I hadn't heard.

Don't scare me like that!
Scare me another way...

Powersurge:
Good idea. Can't wait 'til #25, where everybody who's been featured so far moves to New York City. :roll:

It'd be nice to see an Australian superhero who isn't an aboriginal with a bullroarer and the power to 'teleport' through the 'Dreamtime'. (Talisman (CoC, not ours) and Gateway, I'm looking at you two!)

- Le Messor
Willow: Did Buffy tell you about the beer, 'cause...
Giles: Uh, Buffy didn't tell me anything.
Willow: Oh, well forget the beer part then.
Giles: Happily.

SephirothsKiller
03-18-2007, 02:00 AM
In the wake of OF being downgraded to a mini-series, I thought I'd bump this thread.

It's a neat idea, I think. 'Specially in the wake of CW and Stark being promoted to top-dog of UN's SHIELD.

That idea of SHIELD being a thing of the U.N. is ludicrous and needs to be dealt with. SHIELD is definately all U.S. and it shows entirely, thats why Britain has their own version of it (I believe?) and thats why Britain and Israel sent non-SHIELD representatives over during the X-Men arc of CW -Because they don't actually have representatives IN SHIELD. In addition it was the president who appointed Tony as director so...

Banshee
03-18-2007, 02:45 PM
Characters I'd like to see featured:

Shamrock-Ireland (I think her name is Shamrock?)

Yes, unfortunately. Happy belated St.Patrick's day. :D

kozzi24
03-22-2007, 01:39 PM
Sabra and the new Arabian Knight were featured in this year's Union Jack series

firestar
06-17-2007, 10:40 AM
I remember, my best friend -who loves comics more than me and knows them better - once told me about the existence of a certain Captain Italy in the Marvel Universe... he told me where he found him, too, but for now i can't remember...

DelBubs
06-17-2007, 10:55 AM
Can't find any pics of Captain Italy, but did find out his name is Umberto Landi. He's part of Captain Britain team in the 'Ultimate' universe. Gonna go hunt down a pic as I'm curious now.

http://jerome.galica.free.fr/marvel/ultuniverse/captainitaly6nt.gif

Ultimate Captain Britain
Main article: Ultimate Marvel
In the Ultimate Marvel Universe, Captain Britain is a member of the European Defense Initiative (the EU equivalent of the Ultimates), along with Captain Italy, Captain France, Captain Spain and several unnamed members most likely from other european countries, all of whom have the same powers: flight, super-strength and a force field. All four of them developed their powers from the super powered exo-suits developed by Professor Sir James Braddock, who oversees the EDI super soldier program.