PDA

View Full Version : What Movies Are You...

DelBubs
03-01-2006, 06:41 PM
looking forward to this year? Mine. (http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?s=6f7fa1a75576e1e029bd1c50d75253fd&threadid=61308)

Le Messor
03-04-2006, 10:36 PM
X-Men 3. With optimistic caution.

- Le Messor
"Education helps earning capacity. Ask any college professor."

DelBubs
03-07-2006, 12:02 PM
X-Men 3. With optimistic caution.

- Le Messor
Having just seen this (http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/tls/trailer/large.html) I think I'll join you in that Mik.

Le Messor
03-11-2006, 09:46 PM
It could go either way; but they're making all the 'kiss of death' choices: change directors for the third installment, dump a truckload of new characters all over it...

But, the new director seems to really want to keep the originals' style, which I think is a good thing.

- Le Messor
"Education is the process of casting false pearls before real swine."

Legerd
03-12-2006, 11:27 AM
Definitely both V For Vendetta and X-men 3! Recently, I caught Night Watch (Nochnoi Dozor) a Russian scifi/fantasy/action movie. I went just to see what it was like and found it to be pretty good. It doesn't have all the production value of a Hollywood movie, but it's more creative. For instance, they actually incorporate the subtitles into the movie so they help create the atmosphere of the different scenes whether it is a dark, creepy feeling or an excited tense one. Overall I left the theatre feeling like I got my moneys worth.

Le Messor
03-13-2006, 07:43 AM
For instance, they actually incorporate the subtitles into the movie so they help create the atmosphere of the different scenes

I loved that part!

It's the first part of a trilogy, so I want to see all three before I really decide. But they really know how to build up suspense.

- Le Messor
"Elayne wished the woman would just revert to herself instead of bludgeoning her with a lady's maid from the Blight."
-- Robert Jordan

Legerd
03-20-2006, 01:43 PM
Just caught V For Vendetta last night in imax... excellent movie! I recommend it for anyone who enjoys thought-provoking stories.

Shaman Of The Whills
03-24-2006, 01:31 PM
I hardly even have to be asked this question to know the answer... four very simple, beautiful words...

Snakes On A Plane.

Everyone should go see it. It is going to be the masterpiece of our time.

Barnacle13
03-24-2006, 05:19 PM
Unfortunately my summer lineup will shake down more like Shaggy Dog, Ice Age II, etc. I'm sure I'll be able to coax the kids into X-Men 3, but it probably won't get much better than that. My wife wants to see The DiVinci Code also. That could be good, if we can actually escape our Brood for a night!

Legerd
03-24-2006, 10:33 PM
Ha ha ha, you sound like one of my co-workers who is a father now for the second time. He complains of having to take his kids to Doodlebops shows and listen to Frank Penner records! :lol: Of course I can understand why:

http://www.doodlebops.com/EN-US/

Ben
03-25-2006, 02:36 AM
Doodlebobps.....*shudder*

Ben

Phil
03-25-2006, 05:32 AM
I wanna see Hostel at some point this week.

Le Messor
03-25-2006, 08:45 PM
I recommend it for anyone who enjoys thought-provoking stories.

My wife wants to see The DiVinci Code also. That could be good, if we can actually escape our Brood for a night!

Hmm... I read that book. My thoughts were provoked. They were insulted and mocked. Did you know an insult to the brain can be fatal?
I highly recommend skipping it, for anyone who can think.
When I read the book, I found it exciting and fun, but so incredibly stupid, I came out feeling more insulted than entertained. It reminded me, in that way, of any movie scripted by Akiva Goldsman. http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0326040/

Which is interesting, because it now is one.

- Le Messor
"Aiiiiiiieeeeeeeee!!! He spoke the name of the unholy! Stone the unclean one!"
- Dork Tower reaction to the name of an Akiva Goldsman movie.

DelBubs
03-25-2006, 08:51 PM
Mik, are you talking about 'The DaVinci Code' or 'V' here. Just confused how someone might find 'V' insulting. If your talking about Da Vinci code, well...

Legerd
03-26-2006, 12:55 PM
Mik, are you talking about 'The DaVinci Code' or 'V' here. Just confused how someone might find 'V' insulting. If your talking about Da Vinci code, well...

Uh, yeah. I was talking about V For Vendetta not The DaVinci Code. If you were attributing my quote to The DaVinci Code, please don't! I hated the book and don't expect the movie to be any better. :evil:

birdygirl
03-26-2006, 05:41 PM
I'm looking forward to "X-Men 3" and "Ice Age 2", (Diego the sabretooth tiger was cool). :)

And I'm also looking forward to two movies that are supposed to be coming out in 2007, or thereabouts. One is "Puss in Boots", a spin-off from "Shrek 2", starring Antonio Banderas as the title character, (guess you've realized that I'm a cat-lover by now! :wink: ).

And the other is "Wolverine", starring (who else?) Hugh Jackman. Do you think that Alpha Flight might make an appearance in it? At the very least, they ought to have Mac and Heather. I don't think Wolverine's backstory could be told without them!

shaman
03-26-2006, 06:53 PM
that would be pretty cool if they did put Mac and Heather in it. I think they would probably go with the story Frank Millar did about him living the Samurai code and how he strives to become the perfect warrior,not realizing he already is. Granted I haven't read anything about the upcoming movie and didn't even know when it was being released.

Le Messor
04-01-2006, 08:07 PM
that would be pretty cool if they did put Mac and Heather in it. I think they would probably go with the story Frank Millar did about him living the Samurai code and how he strives to become the perfect warrior,not realizing he already is. Granted I haven't read anything about the upcoming movie and didn't even know when it was being released.

There's also a Magneto movie to be released.
Puss In Boots, hunh? Yay! Fear me, if you dare!
I'll finally be able to get Shrek 2. I promised myself I wouldn't buy the DVD 'til the next movie came out. I waited ages to buy the first, and right after I did, got an announcement about a new, special edition. And that was before the 3D edition. Feeling ripped. But I loved Shrek 2, even more than 1.

So, this Shaman is looking forward to a Wolvie movie far more than the other Shaman. I'm with you, dude. Love to see the Hudsons in it (though I'm not saying we will.)

Ooh, and it's Frank Miller. Millar is Mark. One I respect. The other is dark. I shouldn't try to rhyme. Maybe some of the time.

- Le Messor
"I'm having a good time... *not*!"
- Garth Algar, after being stranded alone on the show

Shaman Of The Whills
04-02-2006, 03:45 AM
I think they would probably go with the story Frank Millar did about him living the Samurai code and how he strives to become the perfect warrior,not realizing he already is.
Well, as a prequel I'm not really sure how that'd work, especially given the plot of the X-Men movies... in fact I'm not entirely sure how any plot will work with that, given the fact that he had really no clues to work with at the beginning of the X-Men movies... if anything I'm hoping that they take the Sabretooth angle, build that up a little... but I'm still guessing they'll go for grand revelations that somehow alter all of Wolvie's history, and will eventually make no sense when added up with the plot of the X-Men movies after all... I love Wolverine, I love Hugh Jackman, I love prequels... I'd love a Wolverine movie, and I'll go to see it and most probably enjoy it... I still think that the movie spells disaster for true Wolverine fans. Not to mention the inevitable retcons that will follow the movie within the book itself, further complicating this already butchered conundrum of Wolvie's history.

Le Messor
04-02-2006, 04:55 AM
It suddenly hit me that they might do Origin. That could be cool, desu-né?

In X-Men 1, Wolverine hadn't met Sabretooth before. The movie, that is.

- Le Messor
Wayne Campbell: All I have to say about that is "asphinctersayswhat".
Noah Vanderhoff: What?
Wayne Campbell: Exactly. " - Wayne

Shaman Of The Whills
04-02-2006, 11:43 AM
It suddenly hit me that they might do Origin. That could be cool, desu-né?
If they did Origin (and didn't radically change it) I'd totally and absolutely be down for that... now, the question is how exactly you'd fit Hugh Jackman into the movie, although I guess we'd be working under the assumption that he'd be playing groundskeeper Logan, but for the non-comic book community that might get way too confusing for them to handle... it was a great surprise, but it was based around our assumptions based on name and appearance, but using the same actor would just throw lots of things off in the eyes of the average watcher... still, I'd be game, because I'd rather it was a movie tailored to the loves of the actual fans rather than the pseudofans that have been created by the movies.

While I know that was assumed, there is no evidence that this is the case. It is quite possible that their longstanding feud has indeed existed... in fact, the way Wolverine recognizes things in the comics with regard to smell is usually based around familiar smells, so his sniffing of Creed's scent in the woods might arguably be because of past encounters (although certainly not exclusively, and thus not the base of the theory). But there is no explicit statement that it is the first time that the two of them have met.

Le Messor
04-02-2006, 08:20 PM
It suddenly hit me that they might do Origin. That could be cool, desu-né? But using the same actor would just throw lots of things off in the eyes of the average watcher...

They'd have to use a much younger actor. Two; one for Dog.
Of course, since I already know they're using Hugh Jackman, that kinda blows the Origin theory. 'less, as you point out, he plays the groundskeeper (implication: "James, I am your father!" - No! That's not true! I won't join you and rule the galaxy, not even if you put claws in my hand! "That's not quite what I had in mind.")

While I know that was assumed, there is no evidence that this is the case. his sniffing of Creed's scent in the woods might arguably be because of past encounters.

He sniffe -a- scent in the woods. Creed just happened to be waiting around right where he stopped the truck - for Rogue's sake.

Anyway...
They needed an introduction. Wolverine, it looked like, had never heard of Sabretooth before. Professor Picard: "The man who attacked you is an associate of his called Sabertooth."
Wolverine said absolutely nothing like "We've met."
"What do you mean, you've met? This is Victor Creed, here, not Allan frickin' Claremont of Croydon."
"I don't care. We've met. Of course, he only had the one head and the two arms at the time."

- Le Messor
"And you are a very large turd in a horrible pink shirt." - Genie
Charles Pinkworth: I beg your BLOODY pardon? "

Le Messor
04-02-2006, 09:12 PM
Uh, yeah. I was talking about V For Vendetta not The DaVinci Code. If you were attributing my quote to The DaVinci Code, please don't! I hated the book and don't expect the movie to be any better. :evil:

He was talking to me! :evil:
Sorry. Um, yes, of course I was talking about the Code. While V may have things that'll insult my beliefs (the movie even more than the comic, apparently; just saw a review last night), things I disagree with, etc... the book wasn't stupid.

In fact, last night I did an LJ review of the five stupidest books I've read:
Left Behind (the whole series)
Voyage, by Stephen Baxter,
Prey, by Michael Crichton,
Portrait of a Killer, by Patricia Cornwell.

DaVinci Code easily topped the list.
MINOR SPOILER WARNING
I mean, this great symbologist, our super code-cracker, spends an entire book talking about DaVinci, and his habit of mirror writing; and he can't even recognise mirror writing when he sees it. "Is it a code? Some obscure foreign language?"

Maybe I should post my 5 Minute DaVinci Code parody...

- Le Messor
"Art is dead! There's nothing left to say. Style is exhausted and content is pointless. Art has no purpose. All that's left is commodity marketing."
- Calvin

Legerd
04-05-2006, 12:51 AM

- Le Messor
"Art is dead! There's nothing left to say. Style is exhausted and content is pointless. Art has no purpose. All that's left is commodity marketing."
- Calvin

Do it! :D

Legerd
04-05-2006, 12:53 AM

I know, I was talking to you too, not him... I think. I'm confused. I'm going to go lie down now. :?

Le Messor
04-06-2006, 09:11 PM
I know, I was talking to you too, not him... I think. I'm confused. I'm going to go lie down now. :?

Confusion is just one of the services I offer!

Do it! :D

You guys were there, right? You saw! He made me do it!

Here goes:

5 Minute DaVinci Code

by Mik Bennett

(Warning: may contain traces of spoilers.)

Mysterious piece of paper: .edoc a si sihT
Robert: Damn, I can't crack this.
Nine-year-old boy: 'This is a code.' Duh.
Robert: Look, I'm a symbologist, I know better than anybody. So shut up.

The Teacher: Look at this Gospel fragment Dan Brown made up. It proves that Jesus was married, and therefore not the son of God.
Sophie: How does that make him not the son of God?
The Teacher: No time for questions. Time is money.
Robert: Let's have some action.
Gun: Bang!
Robert: Run away! Run away!

Robert: You see, DaVinci painted all of the theories Dan Brown stole from another book into The Last Supper. And others. Notice the 'M' for 'Magdalene'.
Sophie: Ooh, yeah, if I squint right, and use a lot of imagination, and want to believe it, yeah, 'M' is one of about 26 letters I can see in that painting.
Robert: See, this proves everything.
Sophie: Because a guy born in 1452 believed it? I mean, yeah, he's DaVinci - Yay! - but isn't his opinion just that? Another opinion?
Robert: No time for questions. Time is money.

Lord Teabing: I've made a special study of Christianity.
Sophie: Is that why you can't tell the difference between Catholics and the rest of them?
Lord Teabing: No time for questions. Time is money.

The Teacher: Jesus was just a man. A great teacher and philosopher, sure, but we shouldn't worship him. He's a man. You can't worship a man. It's sexist.
Robert: Who should we worship, then?
The Teacher: Mary Magdalene.
Sophie: Why?
The Teacher: She's a woman.
Robert: But what did she -do-?
The Teacher: She was married to -Jesus-! Isn't that cool? And the Catholic Church tries to suppress her, because they're afraid of the Female Divine.
Sophie: The Catholic Church? Aren't they the ones who only like Jesus because he's related to his mother?
The Teacher: Do you have a point?
Robert: They only want power.
The Teacher: Now, let's get to proving that you, Sophie, are descended from Christ and the next queen of France.
Sophie: Even though I'm in no way Middle Eastern or even Jewish?
The Teacher: No time for questions. Time is money.

Sophie: I can't believe my Grandfather ever had sex.
Robert: Yeah, but it was an act of worship.
Sophie: That's convenient...
Robert: Convenient?
Sophie: That the way you worship in this "new" religion of your is pretty much what you'd -without- religion.
Robert: ... the Jews did it. In Solomon's temple!
Sophie: You mean during one of the many, many times they fell away from God?
Robert: No time for questions. Time is money.

The Teacher: Mein Führer! I can walk! Yes, I did it! It was me! And I'm glad I did it, glad, see?

(The book $ell$ at ludicrous speed.)
END

Legerd
04-06-2006, 10:57 PM
BRAVO!
=D>

Le Messor
04-07-2006, 12:31 AM
BRAVO!
=D>

Thank you, thank you. I'm here through... Well, about another hour... Try the pizza.

The style is from http://www.fiveminute.net/ .

And John Calimee should be pleased, or call me a total hypocrite, that I included a Dr. Strangelove quote.

- Le Messor
I've read stupider books. Like, for example...
Well there's got to be some. I've read a lot of books.

HappyCanuck
04-07-2006, 01:10 AM
Okay, i'm a Dan Brown fan - Yes I admit it! Don't stone me! - and find the DaVinci Code rather intriguing... But DAMN, Mik! That's bloody hilarious! :D

Le Messor
04-07-2006, 01:33 AM
I find the DaVinci Code rather intriguing... But DAMN, Mik! That's bloody hilarious! :D

Good. :) I was kinda worried how you would react; I noticed Dan Brown is in your sig.

- Le Messor
"A year and a half ago I could have eviscerated him with my thoughts. Now I can barely hurt his feelings. Things used to be so much simpler."
- Anya
"You know... You take the killing for granted... And then it's gone, and you're like... I wish I'd appreciated it more. Stop and smell the corpses, you know?"
- Spike