PDA

View Full Version : How much does the change of artist bother you?

MrGranger
03-02-2006, 07:59 PM
If at all. I'm curious to know whether or not artist changes (if they are at least equal or more skilled in talent) cause you to drop a title or not. Is that something that has really affected you keeping up with a title or is it a welcome change sometimes?

PWalk
03-02-2006, 09:50 PM
When an artist is on a book for a long time and has done just about all their capable of doing with the characters then I don't mind a change. Otherwise frequent changes piss me off and have caused me to stop reading some books in the past.

Now if they make a change in the art dept and the new artist sucks worse than the one before I hope thwy have a talented writer behind the scripts.

DelBubs
03-07-2006, 09:07 PM
I've never stopped collecting a title because of the art, but my interest has been diminished greatly when an artist has taken over who's style I haven't taken too. eg: John Calimee, Duncan Roulleau (sp) on Alpha and Sienkerwitzc (sp) on 'New Mutants'.

Barnacle13
03-08-2006, 09:23 AM
I'm in the same boat as Del here. I typically read comics for the story and characters. The art just adds to or takes away from the experience. Duncan is a prime example of the latter.

Garry/Al-Fan
03-08-2006, 12:06 PM
Changes in artists usually tick me off. Every time a series got the right artist-inker-writer combination, it didn't last very long (old AVENGERS with John Buscema penciling and Dave Cockrum inking comes to mind; it beat the scratchy Bob Brown/Don Heck artwork, hands down...and didn't last long).

I like a nice balance between words, character, and art: not too wordy writing, interesting-heroic-non-assassin character(s), and not too crappy illustrating. I've been disappointed more times than I've been satisfied, and it took me a long time to realize why I wasn't enjoying the comics I was reading.

The inking has a major affect on the artwork and the wrong inker has ruined otherwise good artwork (thinking MARVEL mostly), whereas writers who are allowed to go on and on incoherently without any editorially guidance ruin the whole deal for me.

When the words and the art combine to tell a story that makes sense, that's good comicbook storytelling.

Le Messor
03-11-2006, 10:35 PM
If they replace them with a good artist, no. Fallen Angel is a good example. Great cake. Yum, chocolate...

Sorry, got side-tracked. Anyway, I didn't much like the original art on FA, but the art on the new series, I'm into.
(There's a line in the series about 'Bete Noir' being, among other things, a type of dessert. I looked it up; it's a cake made entirely out of chocolate. You know I've made it. Yum! Australians, and Canadians, and others on the civilised Celsius system: bake at 200o for 40 minutes. Cool longer than ten, but cut around the edges at 10. Yes, I know I didn't link to the recipe. I'm too lazy, and here it is: http://www.virtualcities.com/ons/mn/c/mnc67016.htm Ignore their French. It sucks.)

The worst, for me, was Namor. They changed from John Byrne, a bright, 'big', realistic artist, to Jae Lee, dark, cramped, and stylised (and even he hated the way his art turned out in that series, I learned later)--completely the opposite style...
... without publishing a single negative letter.

- Le Messor

syvalois
03-13-2006, 12:21 PM
If they replace them with a good artist, no. Fallen Angel is a good example. Great cake. Yum, chocolate...

Sorry, got side-tracked. Anyway, I didn't much like the original art on FA, but the art on the new series, I'm into.
(There's a line in the series about 'Bete Noir' being, among other things, a type of dessert. I looked it up; it's a cake made entirely out of chocolate. You know I've made it. Yum! Australians, and Canadians, and others on the civilised Celsius system: bake at 200o for 40 minutes. Cool longer than ten, but cut around the edges at 10. Yes, I know I didn't link to the recipe. I'm too lazy, and here it is: http://www.virtualcities.com/ons/mn/c/mnc67016.htm Ignore their French. It sucks.)

I'm not fully awake, but all I can say is that it do not sound really yummy to eat something called "Black beast" and they can't even spell that right. Oh you said ignore their French, that was for me?

The worst, for me, was Namor. They changed from John Byrne, a bright, 'big', realistic artist, to Jae Lee, dark, cramped, and stylised (and even he hated the way his art turned out in that series, I learned later)--completely the opposite style...
... without publishing a single negative letter.

I absolutly adore Jae Lee stuff on Namor, ok, not always that good, but it was refreshing change. I think I like weird stuff.

TheQuestionMan
03-15-2006, 01:35 PM
I have dropped comics because of it. It does not matter how well written the story and dialogue. If the art sucks then I drop it.

Sad, superficial, but true.

QM :?:

Barnacle13
03-15-2006, 02:45 PM
I don't think it's necessarily sad and superficial to drop a title for poor art. Hell it's your money. Spend it on what you like. If Alpha Flight weren't my favorite group I'd have never stayed with Volume 2, even though the story for me was OK. Duncan's art hurt my eyes and brain.

Le Messor
03-19-2006, 01:25 AM
I'm not fully awake, but all I can say is that it do not sound really yummy to eat something called "Black beast" and they can't even spell that right. Oh you said ignore their French, that was for me?

Nope, I misspelled it: Bête Noir. (Sorry, I ignore accents most of the time, at least on the 'net.) One site translated it as 'bad thing'. :shock:

Ooh, and a cake made entirely out of chocolate? What's not to like?

Oh, yeah, topic... I realised I had a feel for comic art very quickly, when I read my first post-Byrne Alpha issue. I realised I couldn't stand the new art, not compared to the old (I like it better now, but it's just not Byrne). It bothered me, long before I knew I had a feel for anybody's style, or even bothered much to read the credits.

- Le Messor
"Epigrams are macros, since they are executed at read time."

syvalois
03-19-2006, 02:48 AM
Nope, I misspelled it: Bête Noir. (Sorry, I ignore accents most of the time, at least on the 'net.) One site translated it as 'bad thing'. :shock:

I was not talking about the accent, I was talking about Bête Noire do take a "e" at the end of noir because Bête is a feminin word(I know) and I went to see the website. You could say :"C'est ma bête noire" and that's an expression that means...well that site said it better than me.

http://www.bartleby.com/61/50/B0215000.html

Ooh, and a cake made entirely out of chocolate? What's not to like?

I did not find the dessert, ok chocolat cake, cool!

Oh, yeah, topic... I realised I had a feel for comic art very quickly, when I read my first post-Byrne Alpha issue. I realised I couldn't stand the new art, not compared to the old (I like it better now, but it's just not Byrne). It bothered me, long before I knew I had a feel for anybody's style, or even bothered much to read the credits.

I don't know, it's so much case to case thing. Usually it's the art that bring me to the comic book, but the writting keep me there.