PDA

View Full Version : mark millar renews with marvel

varo
04-05-2006, 11:31 PM
plus the promise of a exclusive interview.

hmmmmm.........

On the eve of his return to the public eye, including a comprehensive interview here at Newsarama scheduled for this coming Monday, writer Mark Miller has informed us that he has re-upped his exclusive contract with Marvel for another two years.

"Marvel has been great to me these past five years,” Millar said, explaining his decision to renew his exclusive. "I've had an incredible time and, for a bunch of reasons I'll explain in Monday's interview, I wanted to make a commitment to them in the long-term.

"I've signed up until the middle of 2008 and, with Marvel Civil War, feel like I'm really just kicking into high gear. It's no secret that I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease last year and Ike [Marvel Chief Executive Offer Isaac Perlmutter] was just brilliant about it. He flew me out to the States and had some of the best doctors in the world check me over. It's been a long six months, but I'm feeling a good deal better after all their treatment and just really want to repay that by upping Marvel's market share to an almost embarrassing degree. DC has been terrific lately. They've really upped their game in the time I've been off, but I've got a few tricks up my sleeve. It's going to be an exceptional year for comics and I couldn't be happier about being back."

On Monday, Millar gives Newsarama his first one-on-one Civil War interview; outlines his Marvel plans for the next two years; reveals the secret “Millarworld” book you didn't even know about; talks about the launch of “Millarworld 2”; becoming friends with DC again; and what it's like to have a hospital camera inserted where the sun don't shine.

"This is a Newsarama interview you won't want to miss," promises Millar.

Defunct
04-05-2006, 11:45 PM
Is this really Alpha Flight news at this point? It's more of a general comics thing. . .

varo
04-06-2006, 12:10 AM
was gonna put this in general discussion, i'll leave that up to ben to decide. but something tells me come monday we may hear something about the future of alpha flight.

Ben
04-06-2006, 12:11 AM
Let's wait 'till the interview comes out before moving it ;)

Ben

Phil
04-07-2006, 07:50 AM
:lol:

Shaman Of The Whills
04-08-2006, 03:34 PM
Well, I read the interview over on newsarama (presumably the same interview, yes?)... no mention of Alpha Flight directly, although he did make further mention of a project he had planned that will be drawing out of Civil War, thoug admittedly from the context I'm not sure I"m inclined to suggest that this book is indeed Alpha Flight... but he also made mention of the smaller 'less cool' characters that have dedicated fan bases of their own and how he values and would like to use them, so I guess we could label that an Alpha Flight emphasis as well, but once again, no direct mention of name or any clue as to Alpha's fate during or post-Civil War.

varo
04-08-2006, 05:16 PM
that was not the interview. the interview is monday. that was the civil war press interview.

Shaman Of The Whills
04-09-2006, 06:58 AM
that was not the interview. the interview is monday. that was the civil war press interview.
Oops. My error. I guess it was a good thing I asked. So I guess maybe we might get more beans tomorrow. Hope so. Could use some.

DelBubs
04-10-2006, 03:38 PM
http://www.newsarama.com/marvelnew/millar/millar_1.html
You say it best, when you say nothing at all.

DelBubs
04-11-2006, 04:03 PM
Yea, Double post :-)

http://www.newsarama.com/marvelnew/millar/millar_2.html

NRAMA: Speaking of ramifications of Civil War…Alpha Flight?

That's it… just talk about Alpha Flight. You know the questions on people's minds.

MM: Well, the two big questions are whether Cap flees for Canada and whether I'm writing the Alpha Flight spin-off book. To answer the first, no, Cap doesn’t flee for Canada because that's just bloody stupid and completely out of character.

However, there's some truth in the other rumor floated recently about the origins of the new Alpha Flight team. I pitched the idea to Marvel just as they were preparing a new Alpha Flight book (with an excellent writer I really like) and they were incredibly accommodating, working all my plans into their series and launching the whole thing from Civil War.

I will have zero to do with the book beyond that or setting it up (the writer is too good and too smart to need a paunchy Scots drunk looking over his shoulder), but there's a number of books I'm helping set up in this regard. There's about five at present and I'd love to write at least one of them. I don't know if I'll have time, but as well as the revamps of most of the established Marvel books Civil War will also launch several high-profile spin-offs. These books will be very varied and have some creative teams Joe, Tom [Brevoort], Mike Marts, and Axel [Alonso] are putting together right now and it's incredibly exciting.

Transmetropolitan
04-11-2006, 05:35 PM
Bwah-hahahahahaha.

Sweet, sweet hope... I'd almost forgotten thee...

Barnacle13
04-11-2006, 05:46 PM
That sounded pretty damn clear! Sounds like Marvel is putting Alpha Flight back on the shelves. I hope they don't make it an All New All Different team. Give us something we recognize! I'll take a new character or two, but I'd really like to see a core of four or five classic Alphans. Hopefully Marvel has learned the folly of their past attempts. I'll keep my fingers crossed and start planning to purchase subscriptions for my nephews and maybe a niece or two. Maybe if they sale enough subs they won't get antsy about the numbers too quickly.

varo
04-11-2006, 07:34 PM
so should we still move this to general discussion?

varo
04-11-2006, 07:58 PM
sorry, had to take that cheap shot, i just had a strong feeling based on the current rumors and millars stated affection for byrnes work that something would have been said.

that said i really think we are going to see the series we have all been wishing for. millar said he put a proposal in based on all of byrnes work (which he said in the interview he is a huge fam of) but a different proposal was accepted instead, but millar would be setting up the series in civil war.

so a couple things i get from this interview.

1) a new series is 99% confirmed.

2) it will probally be based on byrnes work rather than the "all new all different" past incarnations.

now i'm off to bug some creators to try and get a confirmation.

cmdrkoenig67
04-11-2006, 10:06 PM
Oh...I'd love to find out that Alan Davis was doing the art(does he write?).

Dana

Snowsquatch
04-11-2006, 10:45 PM
However, there's some truth in the other rumor floated recently about the origins of the new Alpha Flight team.

New? I don't like the sound of that. Better not be too new...

it will probally be based on byrnes work rather than the "all new all different" past incarnations.

What gives you that idea, Varo?

varo
04-11-2006, 10:58 PM
because millar put in a proposal based on the research and admiration he had for byrnes original run, and the concept for the new series will be based on that.

I pitched the idea to Marvel just as they were preparing a new Alpha Flight book (with an excellent writer I really like) and they were incredibly accommodating, working all my plans into their series and launching the whole thing from Civil War.

I will have zero to do with the book beyond that or setting it up (the writer is too good and too smart to need a paunchy Scots drunk looking over his shoulder)

theres also a quote earlier in the interview stating that he has been catching up on old reading and byrnes run on alpha and ff are some of his favorite runs on any book he's read, matter of fact he stated he wanted a shot at both alpha and fantastic four.

varo
04-11-2006, 11:01 PM
btw, millar will be conducting a second interview with comic book resources tomorrow (weds.)

Mokole
04-11-2006, 11:30 PM
Woo hoo! Mark Millar gets the award for telling the truth, Alpha Flight has been in the works and he does ahve a hand in it, relaunch is coming in 2007! That is awesome!

I have no doubt now that Alpha Flight is back!

Shaman Of The Whills
04-12-2006, 09:27 PM
I was very excited by the mentions in the interview... and at least this puts to rest the anger about the prospects of Cap Am in Alpha Flight. I'm not sure there is really that much more to read into it (aside from the fact that it most probably will indeed at some time exist), and I wouldn't really take too much out of just the word new... given the emphasis on the Byrne stuff with Miller, I think that chances for good things are high. Finger crossed. I've got the three cores I want in mind, so if they're met... I'll pledge the heart.

sengsterooney
04-13-2006, 02:29 AM
Wow - if AF is revived with most of the original Byrne cast and a great writer at its helm, I'll return to reading comics. Well, AF at the very least.

Can't wait for more news. I might even pick up Civil War to suss out what's happening.

Powersurge
04-14-2006, 11:13 AM
"However, there's some truth in the other rumor floated recently about the origins of the new Alpha Flight team."

Okay, so the above is a quote from the Millar interview. I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but it doesn't sound like a promise of a classic AF team. It sounds like an AF populated by U.S. heroes. That was the other recent rumour wasn't it? The one that went long with Cap leading AF?

Tell me I'm worng. Really. But provide good reasons and an alternative interpretation of the above quote.

varo
04-14-2006, 12:23 PM
i don't know, it just seems that with millars admiited love for byrnes run on the series and his recent comment on cap leading a team in canada is silly makes me think it will be more towards the originals than a whole new team.

i pray marvel doesn't get it wrong for the 3rd time.

Legerd
04-14-2006, 02:06 PM
"However, there's some truth in the other rumor floated recently about the origins of the new Alpha Flight team."

Okay, so the above is a quote from the Millar interview. I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but it doesn't sound like a promise of a classic AF team. It sounds like an AF populated by U.S. heroes. That was the other recent rumour wasn't it? The one that went long with Cap leading AF?

Tell me I'm worng. Really. But provide good reasons and an alternative interpretation of the above quote.

Maybe the team starts up again using US heroes until Mac and the rest are back on their feet. Even if they didn't die from the attack by the Collective they sure as hell were pretty messed up by it, and I'm sure they'll have to take some time to recover.

Mokole
04-14-2006, 04:14 PM
It's hardly likely that Alpha Flight will be populated by Americans. Remember, we know some of Alpha Flight lived beyond NA #16. We also know that Mac Hudson and Puck are on Civil War promos. We also know that Millar is setting up the relaunch in Civil War based on Alpha Flight, not Alpha Flight being created by events in Civil War. Alpha Flight is involved in Civil War, that's it. So maybe an American or two will join a la Excalibur, but that's it. It will be an Alpha Flight team with a couple new members from the U.S.

Larger question is if the additions will be mutants or Avengers.

Canucklehead
04-14-2006, 08:09 PM
I could see them adding a few non-Canadians to gain more interest down south (a la Sunfire that one time) but what would you guys say to actual popular Canadians not normally affiliated with Alpha?

Sabertooth?
Deadpool?
is X-23 Canadian?

Maybe Wolvie for a bit.

Who else is there?

Mokole
04-14-2006, 08:24 PM
If Alpha Flight is to be like Excalibur is, then Sabretooth would be our continuity-challenged villain a la Excalibur's Juggernaut.

I doubt Deadpool will be put on a team bok anytime soon. And X-23 is not Canadian, as far as I know.

I could live with Deadpool and Sabretooth on the team, though, if the rest belonged to Alpha Flight.

Obsidian3d
04-15-2006, 11:00 AM
Honestly I think the team needs to have someone wearing the flag suit in charge. I'd prefer Mac just because I think it makes the most sense. The rest of the team could be just about any mix of old AF members and a few new faces. As long as it's a line-up that MAKES SENSE, and is well written it should be a good read. I think they need to be careful about two things.

1) AF is a Canadian team, so the stories about the need to have some kind of relevance on a Canadian level. Not poorly written "ehs" and bad jokes at Canada's expense.
2) The team can't be restricted to Canada unless it makes sense. Obviously our country is a big place, but the population is extremely small. The team's existence and activities really need to be well thought out by the creative team. If they spend all their time in space or other countries it will be wierd. If they only fly around the country protecting mother nature...that'll get boring.

I really think the book will be a challenge for whatever team they give it to. I hope they do a good job.

Shaman Of The Whills
04-15-2006, 12:24 PM
While I'm glad that Cap isn't going to be taking a position in Canada or in Alpha Flight, I'm now pretty comfortable with the idea of non-Canadians heroes taking refuge with Alpha Flight and potentially joining up with them. Obviously I'm in a minority here, but despite the overwhelming signicance of the country in Alpha's identity, I've never thought of "being Canadian" as the single most important factor that characterizes them. They were (and hopefully are) a symbol of much more, a symbol of hope for all the world, especially given the overwhelming messages of tolerance and overcoming adversity within the pages. While I don't want to lose the specific trio or so of characters that I've become incredibly attached to, I won't whine if they accept Americans or anyone else for that matter.

While I'm a fan of New Excalibur (mainly for just one character), despite the fact that they would take the earlier series' failings into account, I don't really want to see them do a carbon copy replication of that team, mainly because of the simple fact that it has already been done, although admittedly I might not mind seeing that anyways. I don't want to see Sabertooth on the team because I don't think that he has undergone any significant personality changes within the recent history, and despite the complaints that Juggernaut is a major mess of continuity, I actually can admit to having enjoyed his transformation, even if it did seem somewhat typical and cliche at times. His soft spot was exposed and developed, illuminating that he isn't just an evil soul, whereas Sabertooth I'm not so sure about. As for X-23's nationality, I guess you'd have to work with the question of whether or not nationality is determined by a clone's heritage, location of birth or actual deliverer of life. I suppose we could label her a New Yorker, but I'm not sure that would reallybe accurate. Once again though, personality, character ability and ideals will be much more important to me than simple citizenship (and I think they'll keep X-23 right where she is).

Powersurge
04-15-2006, 01:54 PM
I could deal with a couple or a few American characters joining the team, but would require Sasq's prescence and the presence of "the suit". I don't care whose in it, the suit though is a must. It would be nice to see others too, but those two elements are necessary for my interest.

Of course, even with those prereq.'s filled, I wouldn't be too impressed with a team overpopulated by Americans.

I was really put-off by the Millar quote I provided above, and hope that all of this non-sense that keeps coming out in interviews is all for the purposes of misdirection and keeping folk off balance. Afterall, if we begin nailing down too many facts today, how much fun will the series be when it launches... several months from now.

The way I saw this evolving was that American heroes and villains, freebooters all who want no restirctions placed on them, flee to Canada. As a result of both the flood and the contrary nature of the superpowered immigrants, Department H is left with a real mess on its hands and needs AF (which has always been willing to at least deal with the authorities on an open and honest level) as Canada's police force more than ever.

I think that I just found my own reason why those America immigrants won't be populating AF. Afterall, AF has always been open about their identities to the powers that be, has worked under governement and RCMP authority. The Americans are fleeing so as not to be forced into just that type of game, right? They don't want to be government "lackeys". Not saying that AF is a group of government lackeys, but they have always been open and responsible and selfless in their relationship with our elected officials.

Speaking of which; what IS up with Canada's Superhuman Registeration Act?! WAs it short-lived? Is it still in effect? Are present writers mereyl forgetting about it? And if not, why the heck are any of the "rugged individualists" -- or should that be "Counter-culturalists. Thats right, not anti-Culturalists, but *counter* culturalists" (aren't we witty! ;-) -- fleeing the US for Canada?!

Just making things fit the mold they've come up with?

Canucklehead
04-15-2006, 04:25 PM
The biggets thing (well only thing really) I take from Millar's quotes is the word "respect". I don't care if there's Americans, Aliens, Gods, Smirfs or whatever on the team as long as they are written with respect. If you have a group of heroes that have pretty much been a joke the past few years whenever they are written, do you really expect a team book of said characters is going to fly?

I think Millar's facination with the Byrne era isn't necessarily strickly speaking about the specific characters, but the power and wonder of them at that time. The Sasquatch that could stop a jet without trying and fighting the Hulk to a standstill. Compared to what he did in v3, a lot of standing around and dancing to a video game machine. The team back then could wipe the floor with the X-Men. These days they show up with laughable looking "Hulk Buster Armor" and still get pushed around.

And on a personal note, I'd love to see is a Canadian writting the book, not because I don't think anyone else can do the job, but just because the things I most enjoy in movies and comics are the subtle things and are fun to look for. Anyone can write a book about characters saying "I'm in Toronto, eh?" I like the little things like spotting them drinking out of a Tim's (Hortons) coffee cup, Habs and Leaf jerseys on extras in the background or even complaining about the damn tax!. Plus we have such a wide range of characters in our country, how can we not use as much of them to our advantage? Yes, Marina was "from" the maritimes, but that's not good enough. Has anyone here ever met a sterotypical Newfoundlander!? They're hilarious and their accent would be such a treat to read!

Anyways, that's just my random thoughts.

D.

Le Messor
04-15-2006, 10:32 PM
You know when I plan tol know what 'respect' for Alpha means? When I'll know who is and isn't on the team? What the book looks and feels like?

When I've read it.

But then, I've also read this:

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/035/035973p1.html

It's about movies, but I suspect it applies...

- Le Messor
"Add it up, it all spells duh."
- Buffy

HappyCanuck
04-16-2006, 12:45 AM
Yes, Marina was "from" the maritimes, but that's not good enough. Has anyone here ever met a sterotypical Newfoundlander!? They're hilarious and their accent would be such a treat to read!

As much as I'm against stereotyping anything, I can confirm there ARE stereotypical Newfoundlanders (I'm related to most of them :D ), and, as long as the 'Newfoundlanders are stupid' mentality is kept to a minimum (ie: Newfie jokes as a comment, not stated as a truth), I think can handle it...

Ben
04-16-2006, 04:05 AM
You know when I plan tol know what 'respect' for Alpha means? When I'll know who is and isn't on the team? What the book looks and feels like?

Honestly, I've gotten to know Mark failrly well in correspondence, and the plans he (and the "mystery writer") have for AF sound mighty interesting to me. I'm not at liberty to discuss details, but know that the intentions are to make AF a top seller, plus present old-school fans with what they wanna see. Take what you hear in the mills with a grain, and trust to those like Mark who have the skill (and clout) to get thing rolling. Stay tuned for juicy details when they can be revealed.

Ben

varo
04-16-2006, 08:37 AM
you are such a tease. :wink:

i had a feeling you had an idea what was going on.

Mokole
04-16-2006, 04:47 PM
Honestly, I've gotten to know Mark failrly well in correspondence, and the plans he (and the "mystery writer") have for AF sound mighty interesting to me. I'm not at liberty to discuss details, but know that the intentions are to make AF a top seller, plus present old-school fans with what they wanna see. Take what you hear in the mills with a grain, and trust to those like Mark who have the skill (and clout) to get thing rolling. Stay tuned for juicy details when they can be revealed.

Ben

Thanks for the positive comments, Ben. I note that Scratchy over at comix-fan is as postive as ever, no wonder he survived as an Expos fan for so long. His post I read was about patience and trust, odd given Mr. Brevoort's general replies.

Phil
04-16-2006, 05:13 PM
If Alpha Flight is to be like Excalibur is, then Sabretooth would be our continuity-challenged villain a la Excalibur's Juggernaut.

I doubt Deadpool will be put on a team bok anytime soon. And X-23 is not Canadian, as far as I know.

I could live with Deadpool and Sabretooth on the team, though, if the rest belonged to Alpha Flight.

Sabretooth's gonna be fixed to X-Men for a while, there's talk of Deadpool joining X-Factor, and as to X-23... can genetic clones have nationalities? :lol:

Powersurge
04-16-2006, 06:37 PM
as to X-23... can genetic clones have nationalities? :lol:

Well, if "Canada" and "America" can themselves be considered nations (which, technically, they are not; they are multi-national states), then clones can have "nationality", ie. citizenship as opposed to ethnicity. :D

Mokole
04-16-2006, 06:50 PM
as to X-23... can genetic clones have nationalities?

Genetic clones :x :-# :| =P~ apparently yes.

Genetic clowns ](*,) apparently no.

Le Messor
04-16-2006, 10:06 PM
Honestly, I've gotten to know Mark failrly well in correspondence, and the plans he (and the "mystery writer") have for AF sound mighty interesting to me. I'm not at liberty to discuss details, but know that the intentions are to make AF a top seller, plus present old-school fans with what they wanna see. Take what you hear in the mills with a grain, and trust to those like Mark who have the skill (and clout) to get thing rolling. Stay tuned for juicy details when they can be revealed. Ben

Kinda my point. I'm holding off opinion 'til I've read the book.
But, others have said they respect things I like, then presented me with something I felt was completely disrespectful. Didn't Seagal say he liked and respected AF? I don't like what he presented me with (I know, that's becoming an increasingly unpopular opinion around here).

As for Mark himself? I might like him. I dunno; from what I can tell, he's a fellow Christian; I know he's a geek. If he truly is both, Yay! I'd probably like him in real life.

But that doesn't mean I'll enjoy his work. I hated Ultimate (X-Men and Ultimates, the titles I've read any of). I'm intrigued by The Chosen, having had it spoilered, I might get it, but I don't know what I'll think of AF.

I'll decide around about #12, if it gets that far (cynicism about Marvel there, not the series).

- Le Messor
"Alright. I'll just jump into my time machine, go back to the 12th century and ask the vampires to postpone their ancient prophecy for a few days while you take in dinner and a show." - Giles "Okay, at this point you're abusing sarcasm." - Buffy

Shaman Of The Whills
04-17-2006, 12:08 AM
which, technically, they are not; they are multi-national states
My apologies. I was raised with the different (and acknowledgely incorrect) wording, viewing countries as nations, and states as equivelant to the concept of provinces. I know. We USAers are a silly bunch, aren't we?

As for Ben and the sealed lips... totally understandable... and as long as another fan out there likes the possible plans... that is good enough for me. I'm guessing I'll be easy to please. This is one of the rare cases where the mystery might be better to build my anticipation and excitement.

Powersurge
04-17-2006, 11:56 AM
which, technically, they are not; they are multi-national states
My apologies. I was raised with the different (and acknowledgely incorrect) wording, viewing countries as nations, and states as equivelant to the concept of provinces. I know. We USAers are a silly bunch, aren't we?

No more than us Canucks; whom like any other group has its fair share of fools and wisemen, villians and heroes, people I don't like and people I do, et al. But no need for apologies. I recall reading an interview between an English-Yank and an English-Brit years ago that devolved for awhile on just this matter (it was really about thge dif. between English and British, and what woke a buncha ahem "Brits" up to that difference). Anyway, I got a good chuckle (and apparenlty so did they) as the Yank noted the difference in the useage of terms between the Brits and Yanks, and remarked how the United Nations should probably really be called the United States, and how the United Satates should properly be called the United Nations.

Cheers!

varo
04-18-2006, 07:30 PM
heres rich johnsons (litg) reply to his story about the new alpha flight and millars involvement.

if anyone can make sense of this statement i would love to hear it.

Two stories gripped the message boards this week. The identities behind the individuals who allegedly spread vicious rumours about Mark Millar, as referred to here. And the identity of the alleged sexual harasser that has spurred a civil suit, mentioned in LITG last week and updated here.

I have been aware of the named individuals from both stories for some time, but as of this week there's been quite a call for me to name them. Sorry, but that's not happening.

For a start, the parties on the sides you haven't heard from yet dispute important details of the incidents - but not openly. And the parties you have heard from aren't willing to name them - and if they do, right now, it could get messy.

The vitriol has been so much that, it's possibly not a good idea to name names to a group of people who have grown up reading the tales of a man who dresses up as a bat and goes out to right wrongs with his fists.

As these circumstances alter, so might this stance. But for now I'm staying quiet.

Of course, if either appear in Heidi MacDonald's The Beat, then all bets are off. As of now, you'll have to be satisfied with stories about, I dunno, a "Lady Death/Shi" crossover or something.

DelBubs
04-18-2006, 07:49 PM
I don't think either of those satementa are in reference to Alpha. The second one refers to an incident in a hotel swimming pool during an American convention and the otther is in regards to Millars illness. Mark took a sabbatical due to suffering from 'Crohns Disease', a disease of the intestine, one comics professional implied/said out right? that he was in fact suffering from A.I.D.S/HIV.

varo
04-18-2006, 08:04 PM
ahhhhh....

well, the link takes it to part 2 of millars newsarama interview which he confirms his alpha invvolvement, an i know he has been catching neat for reproting the capt. america in alpha flight thing that has been denied by multiple sources.

but your probally right becsause the wording of this made no sense to me.

Mokole
04-18-2006, 09:09 PM
Why did Rich even write that nonsense? Is he a jerk or something? Millar has Crohn's, fine, my ex-sister-in-law does too, she had an operation 15 years ago to remove part of her colon, nothing since.

Hopefully all goes well for Mr. Millar. But what the heck does this (Rich) have to do with Alpha Flight or Millar's use of Alpha Flight in Civil War??

Mokole
04-18-2006, 09:12 PM
BTW, Ed Brubaker also debunked the Cap joining Alpha Flight, on a Captain America board.