PDA

View Full Version : This may be extremely old news to some of you...

Transmetropolitan
04-19-2006, 09:44 PM
... but I was re-reading Marvel 1602 recently, and I'm seeing a pile of similarities between Virginia Dare and Narya...

cmdrkoenig67
04-20-2006, 06:40 AM
I recall many people seeing those same similarities when the series came out and thinking she was Narya. I've never read 1602, so I really can't comment further.

Dana

Shaman Of The Whills
04-20-2006, 01:21 PM
At the time of reading it I thought much the same, but it was pretty explicitly stated that she was simply meant to be a representative of her historical figure with no actual counterpart in the regular Marvel Universe, like Elizabeth or James. Gaiman explicity stated that she is not designed off of Narya. Furthermore, the intent was to use only core Silver Age characters. But yes, were it not for the squashing of that rumor, a compelling argument could be made for their similarities. I really wanted to see a much more developed expansion of the series, rather than just a minor follow up with New World, bringing in many of the other mainstream characters. I really enjoyed the revisioning of almost all of the characters.

Transmetropolitan
04-20-2006, 02:28 PM
Eh. Gaiman shoulda come up with a different set of abilities if he wanted her to be "new" and "unique." At the very least, he could have had her alternate forms not be universally white.

'Cause now, whenever I read it, I'm still thinking "Snowbird."

And I find it amusing that he claims to use only silver agers, while he employs decidely non-silver age aspects of their canon histories and abilities.

Shaman Of The Whills
04-20-2006, 10:44 PM
Well actually the Virginia Dare character was a real person with a similar such legend around her... and the powers worked with her character... so he didn't mean her to be unique in her powers (after all, shapeshifting into animals, not exactly original *cough*BeastBoy*cough*)... just original in that she wasn't based on an already established Marvel character... I'm hoping that there will be further 1602 work with alot more planning, or perhaps an Exiles element... I don't think there has been. There should be.

Le Messor
04-23-2006, 12:32 AM
Yep. Totally got the Snowbird connection.

And did anybody else think the Avengers' (George Perez series, right before New Avengers) Silver Talon owed as much to Snowbird as Marylin Manson does to Alice Cooper?

- Le Messor
"As long as there are tests, there will be prayer in public schools."

cmdrkoenig67
04-23-2006, 06:30 AM
Do you mean Silverclaw(being able to turn into South American animals and the daughter of a godess?...There are definitely some similarities there), Mik?

Dana

Le Messor
04-30-2006, 03:51 AM
Do you mean Silverclaw being able to turn into South American animals and the daughter of a godess? Dana

:oops:
Indeed I do.
Though Silverclaw isn't as limited to South American animals as good research might have made her. She's been both a cheeta (African, ret-conned next iss into a jaguar) and a cocakatoo (Australian / Singaporean, never addressed). Maybe it's South American animals, and ones starting with 'c'? :)

Also, colour scheme? Very white.

- Le Messor
"Any apocalypse I avert without dying? Yeah, those are the easy ones."
- Buffy