PDA

View Full Version : Just re-read Watchmen

Transmetropolitan
07-13-2006, 01:59 AM
Ah, joy.

Seriously. I'd gotten itno the habit of just sayong how unspeakably awesome this series was.

Then I went back and actually read the whole thing again.

Wow.

Just. Wow.

Le Messor
07-14-2006, 12:22 AM
Well, it's a classic. I love the ideas behind it...

I should reread it myself before I start posting.

DelBubs
07-15-2006, 09:49 AM
Personally I don't see it as a classic. I find it ultra depressing and have only read it the once. It is however a nice talking point when talking to other Alan Moore fans cos it always leads to the old arguement about which is better - 'Watchmen' or 'V for Vendetta'

Transmetropolitan
07-15-2006, 11:56 AM
'Watchmen' or 'V for Vendetta'

No contest. Moore himself isn;t a huge fan of the pacing in "V For Vendetta"

Snowsquatch
07-15-2006, 02:22 PM
Moore himself isn't a huge fan of the pacing in "V For Vendetta"
Moore isn't a fan of anything Hollywood does with his work. I think he's just a chronic complainer.

Transmetropolitan
07-16-2006, 08:15 PM
Moore himself isn't a huge fan of the pacing in "V For Vendetta"
Moore isn't a fan of anything Hollywood does with his work. I think he's just a chronic complainer.

Actually, I was talking about the pacing of his comic.

DelBubs
07-22-2006, 02:56 PM
Haven't watch 'V for Vendetta', got it, won't watch it. Some things just are not meant to become movies. Moore may not be happy with the pacing of 'V', but for me it is ten times better than Watchmen will ever be. V says so much more and imho should be read by kids from 14 upwards.

Transmetropolitan
07-22-2006, 03:09 PM
Haven't watch 'V for Vendetta', got it, won't watch it. Some things just are not meant to become movies. Moore may not be happy with the pacing of 'V', but for me it is ten times better than Watchmen will ever be. V says so much more and imho should be read by kids from 14 upwards.

I dunno, maybe it's just my upbringing, but "V" didn;t say anything I hadn't already heard athousand times by the time it came out.

"V" is a socio-political piece that broke no new ground in that field. Great yarn, but nothing amazing. At least not from my perspective.
"Watchmen" is literature. And it's a damn sight meatier.

DelBubs
07-22-2006, 05:18 PM
'V' for me is unique as a comic novel, it may carry the same themes as '1984', but has more impact due to it being in graphic form. The theme of 'Watchmen' although thought provoking wasn't written well enough imho to create the impact the theme should have.

Transmetropolitan
07-22-2006, 05:53 PM
'V' for me is unique as a comic novel, it may carry the same themes as '1984', but has more impact due to it being in graphic form.

Eh. Clearly a matter of tatse. Although I wasn't referring to any book I'd read... Like I said, it's in my upbringing.

The theme of 'Watchmen' although thought provoking wasn't written well enough imho to create the impact the theme should have.

I'm just going to have to agree to disagree here, because, IMNSHO, you're dead wrong.

Le Messor
07-23-2006, 05:33 AM
Personally I don't see it as a classic. I find it ultra depressing and have only read it the once.

I fail to see the contradiction. :?

Haven't watch 'V for Vendetta', got it, won't watch it.

I hope you mean 'I've got the trade, but I won't watch the movie', otherwise somebody's been wasting their money...

Allan Moore (Arrogant opinion alert) writes very well.
But he wouldn't touch originality with a ten metre cattle prod if it came up doing some ninja Morris rapping to the tune of 'I am originality!' Everything he does is clearly based on something else. Then he adds a rape scene, and waits for an Eisner.

Not original, but well-done.

- Le Messor
"A man's life of any worth is a continuous allegory."
- Keats

DelBubs
09-04-2006, 08:47 PM
So while on the subject of Moore, any opinion on 'Lost Girls' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Girls)

Le Messor
09-09-2006, 08:33 PM
So while on the subject of Moore, any opinion on 'Lost Girls' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Girls)

Heard of, haven't read, don't want to.

I love the idea of innocence, and hate stuff like that, that's all about s####ing all over it.

Granted, there's Implications in the original (JM Barrie) Peter Pan book (which came after the play, which I've not read) that Peter and Wendy had sex. But not Alice, or Dorothy.

Shudder.

- Le Messor
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."
- Lazarus Long