PDA

View Full Version : Who Wears The Suit ?

DelBubs
09-08-2006, 04:33 AM
Guardian - We know it's the suit, but who's in it? So far I've seen it suggested that it's Mac, Steve Rogers, John Walker, Clint Barton or Tony Stark?

Sounds like a poll question to me.

I've gone with Mac, given Eds comments about corpses not crying.

kozzi24
09-08-2006, 07:16 AM
no option of "someone else"?

DelBubs
09-08-2006, 07:22 AM
Consider it done Jeff :-)

Northcott
09-08-2006, 01:20 PM

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Jimmy Mac -- but I've got to say, the interview with the creative team has me curious. This may be the first Marvel comic I've picked up since the first run of the Ultimates.

Canucklehead
09-08-2006, 02:05 PM

I picked Mac also, but you have to wonder, did Bendis tell the artist to draw a tear? If so, did he have this Omega flight in mind? They never mentioned it in interviews when people would ask if they were dead. If it was intentional, you'd think someone would have mentioned "corpses don't cry". I have a feeling it was just added by the artist to create an even more somber mood.

Having said that, I do think it's a great idea and hope it was intentional. Good eye! 8)

Northcott
09-08-2006, 02:20 PM

I picked Mac also, but you have to wonder, did Bendis tell the artist to draw a tear? If so, did he have this Omega flight in mind? They never mentioned it in interviews when people would ask if they were dead. If it was intentional, you'd think someone would have mentioned "corpses don't cry". I have a feeling it was just added by the artist to create an even more somber mood.

Having said that, I do think it's a great idea and hope it was intentional. Good eye! 8)

I think you're completely right. It was likely artistic license at the time. That said, I'm clinging to that bit of hope. ;) I'd really like to see Mac and Elizabeth forming the core of this new team (because you know Walker's going to return home at some point -- he's too patriotic not to), and few people know what to do with Bill, so he's unlikely to stay after the current creative team. Hopefully in that transition, we'll find out that more of the Alphans have survived, and fill the gaps.

Edit: And does anybody else find it mildly disturbing that we refer to fictional characters on a first name basis? ;)

Legerd
09-08-2006, 06:00 PM
I voted for Mac 'cause I'm holding out hope he survived.

Guardian
09-09-2006, 12:34 PM
I'm hoping that it's Mac as well. Though I like Heather's character, Mac should have been the true leader of AF. He was never given a decent chance.
Though I just now reading through the entire volume 1 of AF, Mac was just casted aside in my opinion. An empty filler almost, if you will. So hopefully Mac is given the chance he deserves in this new incarnation.

DelBubs
09-09-2006, 12:42 PM
If truth be known, I would say that Mac had his greatest character developement in the pages of UXM between #109 - #140/ Even before he died in AF he didn't actually have the chance to become embedded.

Off on a tangent here, welcome to the forum Guardian, so tell us, is it you in that pic? :wink:

mos_def
09-09-2006, 02:35 PM
Maybe it is Mac but not in the essence we are thinking. Maybe the writers took the fact that Gentry was Mac and reveal the real Mac and he is angry that he never got the chance to reveal it was him

Canucklehead
09-09-2006, 08:43 PM
Maybe it is Mac but not in the essence we are thinking. Maybe the writers took the fact that Gentry was Mac and reveal the real Mac and he is angry that he never got the chance to reveal it was him

I see what you're sayin but I think it might be too confusing for people picking up a Flight book for the first time. They'll say "Who the @#$ is Gentry?". I think they'll resort to the good ol "You killed my wife and friends and now I'm really PO'ed! Watch me act over the edge and slightly out of character for a while and not give a #$% about anything until some woman that reminds me of heather will spark something, calm down and then I'll decide to not be so reckless and make me care again" angle. You know, that old chestnut. 8)

Powersurge
09-09-2006, 09:18 PM
Maybe he'll be another Mac clone, as appear vol.2?

mos_def
09-10-2006, 02:27 AM
Look in the sky...its the ship that contained vol3s time jump team that went to Plodex. Mac, you aint so mad anymore huh.

Mac: Heather
Heather2:Jim
Northstar:What! We going to die in the future.
Mac: Uh..yeah but you die earlier cuz you pulled a Wolverine on us and went X.
Northstar:Did you come after me to get back to Canada and acidently kill me, Hudson
Mac:No. It was Logan
Northstar: Bastard!
Mac: So...you want in on Omega Flight
Puck: Ill say it again. I busted my butt to be in Alpha Flight. I better be joining Alpha Flight

Guardian
09-10-2006, 02:51 AM
If truth be known, I would say that Mac had his greatest character developement in the pages of UXM between #109 - #140/ Even before he died in AF he didn't actually have the chance to become embedded.

Off on a tangent here, welcome to the forum Guardian, so tell us, is it you in that pic? :wink:

Hm, I read UXM now, but I started way after #140. I may pick those up in some fashion and read 'em.

Thanks for the welcom DelBubs. And yes, that is me James in the pic. :wink: Or maybe it's me the clone or maybe the robot. :)

Guardian
09-10-2006, 02:54 AM
Look in the sky...its the ship that contained vol3s time jump team that went to Plodex. Mac, you aint so mad anymore huh.

Mac: Heather
Heather2:Jim
Northstar:What! We going to die in the future.
Mac: Uh..yeah but you die earlier cuz you pulled a Wolverine on us and went X.
Northstar:Did you come after me to get back to Canada and acidently kill me, Hudson
Mac:No. It was Logan
Northstar: Bastard!
Mac: So...you want in on Omega Flight
Puck: Ill say it again. I busted my butt to be in Alpha Flight. I better be joining Alpha Flight

:lol:

MistressMerr
09-10-2006, 05:47 AM
It'd be nice if it was Mac. But it's not.

cmdrkoenig67
09-10-2006, 07:59 AM
If it isn't Mac, Heather or another Canadian...I don't give a crap.

Dana

Ben
09-10-2006, 08:55 AM
I really liked the new season of Stargate.

Ben

Canucklehead
09-10-2006, 08:58 AM

Ben

It's gonna be McGyver in the suit!?!?! Sweet!

DelBubs
09-10-2006, 09:27 AM
Stargate, isn't that where they go through wormholes and that. :-)

cmdrkoenig67
09-10-2006, 09:31 AM
Sigh...

DelBubs
09-10-2006, 09:51 AM
For those from Quebec, I would assume that would be Le Sigh... :lol: :P :wink:

Canucklehead
09-10-2006, 10:32 AM
How come whenever someone asks about the characters in Omega Flight, JQ and everyone else aways say they "can’t say too much about the upcoming Omega Flight series because it would give away specific points about the ending of Civil War."?

I can understand certain plots not being able to be mentioned, but about the characters? Saying if it's Elizabeth and/or Mac couldn't give anything away from Civil War. No one would say "Oh Mac IS alive! That means HE must come in and win war! I figured out the ending!". So it being Mac wouldn't have any real spoilers to the war. If it isn't Mac on the other hand...

If it's Cap next to him, that would give something away. If it's USAgent as we have come to expect, how could he really give something away? How much of a player will he be? If his story is going to be told in a one-shot book, I don't think he'll be a major player in the main books.

Whether it's any of the Spiderwomen really doesn't change the outcome of Civil War.

We've been told that's Beta Ray... though there's somethin not right about him. Could just be the artists representation. Even if it was, say the Thing (for example), he's already been stated as leaving the country, so no big difference in the outcome there. It's more then likely Bill.

So long story short, unless that's Steve Rogers next to Guardian(which I doubt), the only other character that could really give something away from the war is who's in the suit. If the Talisman woman is "the strongest link to Flight’s past", then I think that concludes Mac can't be in the suit.

If it's not Mac, he's gotta be Canadian or else the suit doesn't make sense. Any powerful Canucks in CW they don't want to give away where they'll end up? Really the only one would be Wolverine. And they aren't going to do that(besides, he's too tall in the promo :P ).

So in conclusion... I don't have the damndest of ideas.

cmdrkoenig67
09-10-2006, 10:39 AM
For those from Quebec, I would assume that would be Le Sigh... :lol: :P :wink:

Oui!

Le Dana :P

Canucklehead
09-10-2006, 10:41 AM
Did anyone think maybe Madison Jeffries?

cmdrkoenig67
09-10-2006, 10:49 AM
How come whenever someone asks about the characters in Omega Flight, JQ and everyone else aways say they "can’t say too much about the upcoming Omega Flight series because it would give away specific points about the ending of Civil War."?

I can understand certain plots not being able to be mentioned, but about the characters? Saying if it's Elizabeth and/or Mac couldn't give anything away from Civil War. No one would say "Oh Mac IS alive! That means HE must come in and win war! I figured out the ending!". So it being Mac wouldn't have any real spoilers to the war. If it isn't Mac on the other hand...

If it's Cap next to him, that would give something away. If it's USAgent as we have come to expect, how could he really give something away? How much of a player will he be? If his story is going to be told in a one-shot book, I don't think he'll be a major player in the main books.

Whether it's any of the Spiderwomen really doesn't change the outcome of Civil War.

We've been told that's Beta Ray... though there's somethin not right about him. Could just be the artists representation. Even if it was, say the Thing (for example), he's already been stated as leaving the country, so no big difference in the outcome there. It's more then likely Bill.

So long story short, unless that's Steve Rogers next to Guardian(which I doubt), the only other character that could really give something away from the war is who's in the suit. If the Talisman woman is "the strongest link to Flight’s past", then I think that concludes Mac can't be in the suit.

If it's not Mac, he's gotta be Canadian or else the suit doesn't make sense. Any powerful Canucks in CW they don't want to give away where they'll end up? Really the only one would be Wolverine. And they aren't going to do that(besides, he's too tall in the promo :P ).

So in conclusion... I don't have the damndest of ideas.

Hey....I bet it really is postman Mike in the Guardian/Vindicator uniform and he shows up at the end of Civil war (in his new Mapleleafy costume torn from Mac's comatose, crying body, after vowing to make amends for his inadvertant killing of Canada's greatest heroes) and makes a plea to all the feuding heroes..."Please...Can't we all just get along?!" The fighting stops and Tony and Steve kiss and make up...The End!....Groan! :P

This sarcastically fantastic comment brought to you by...

Dana "I hate U.S. Agent, Beta Ray Bill and Arachne" Smith :wink:

Note: No superheroes, Canadian or otherwise were harmed by this message...It is only meant in jest.

DelBubs
09-10-2006, 10:56 AM
Hey....I bet it really is postman Mike in the Guardian/Vindicator uniform and he shows up at the end of Civil war (in his new Mapleleafy costume torn from Mac's comatose, crying body, after vowing to make amends for his inadvertant killing of Canada's greatest heroes) and makes a plea to all the feuding heroes..."Please...Can't we all just get along?!" The fighting stops and Tony and Steve kiss and make up...The End!....Groan! :P

Any chance of a SPOILER warning next time tsk!! :roll:

cmdrkoenig67
09-10-2006, 10:58 AM
Any chance of a SPOILER warning next time tsk!! :roll:

Hey...It's just speculation, Man...Chill.

Dana

THE REAL New Avengers #17: The Astonishing X-Men (with Wolverine present...How is this even possile?) arrive to help Alpha Flight after they've been trashed by the Collective...

James Macdonald Hudson: "Gasp...My team...What happened Dr. McCoy?"

Dr. Henry McCoy: "They're dead, Jim."

-K-M-
09-10-2006, 01:34 PM
It better be James or I will be very upset

mos_def
09-10-2006, 01:56 PM
its going to be Sean Benard

-K-M-
09-10-2006, 02:05 PM
its going to be Sean Benard

wait...who?

DelBubs
09-10-2006, 02:14 PM
Groundhog (http://alphanex.alphaflight.net/index.php/Groundhog) from the Alpha Special. The detective who wore the Groundhog suit and dug the hole to shield 'The Flight' from the bomb.

-K-M-
09-10-2006, 02:25 PM
Groundhog (http://alphanex.alphaflight.net/index.php/Groundhog) from the Alpha Special. The detective who wore the Groundhog suit and dug the hole to shield 'The Flight' from the bomb.

Oh yes him, it's a long shot though.

PWalk
09-10-2006, 02:51 PM
I think Stark would be a great curveball. Thus my vote.

Guardian
09-10-2006, 03:32 PM

Ben

It's gonna be McGyver in the suit!?!?! Sweet!

I was hoping it would be Teal'c :D

Oh, McGyver isn't on the show anymore. It's been Ben Browder from Farscape the last few seasons. (Man I hope this show doesn't get cancelled.)

Guardian
09-10-2006, 03:37 PM
It better be James or I will be very upset

Yeah, that better be me Mac, myself or I'll be very upset. :lol:

Guardian
09-10-2006, 03:41 PM
I think Stark would be a great curveball. Thus my vote.

Oh God, I hope not.

Canucklehead
09-10-2006, 03:48 PM
I still think it'd be cool to be Jeffries. Image the Guardian suit + Madison's power? Sweeeeet.

-K-M-
09-10-2006, 04:09 PM
I thought Farscape was already cancelled, and the main actor has already moved onto acting in Stargate SG-1.

RolandT
09-10-2006, 04:22 PM
I only think James Hudson as Guardian now.

-K-M-
09-10-2006, 05:18 PM
I did some research and yep Farscape has been done for awhile now

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farscape

Ben Browder and Claudia Black are still regular cast members on Stargate SG-1

Ben
09-10-2006, 06:08 PM
What, I can't watch Stargate without Ricard Dean Anderson!!!! What, you mean they changed a BUNCH of characters???? NOOOOOO!!!!! What, you say that starting out after the change they just had two original characters?! That's not Stargate! I won't watch it!!!! Hey....wait...this is pretty good...actually it's really good! And what? They added back other characters from past seasons? And Richard Dean anderson does some guest apperances? Cool! and wow, it's so different....fresh, new ideas...but it's still Stargate...WOW!!!!!

Ben

-K-M-
09-10-2006, 06:14 PM
What, I can't watch Stargate without Ricard Dean Anderson!!!! What, you mean they changed a BUNCH of characters???? NOOOOOO!!!!! What, you say that starting out after the change they just had two original characters?! That's not Stargate! I won't watch it!!!! Hey....wait...this is pretty good...actually it's really good! And what? They added back other characters from past seasons? And Richard Dean anderson does some guest apperances? Cool! and wow, it's so different....fresh, new ideas...but it's still Stargate...WOW!!!!!

Ben

Odd...it sounds so much like our situation with Alpha FLight, your a sly dog Ben :P

I will be picking up Omega Flight, I just hope the old guard wasn't all killed off. Thankfully interviews state they wern't

Guardian
09-11-2006, 12:50 AM
I thought Farscape was already cancelled, and the main actor has already moved onto acting in Stargate SG-1.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I suppose re-reading my statement from earlier I didn't state what I ment clearly enough. And the cancellation I was refering to was in reference to Stargate: SG-1. Earlier this week Sci-Fi Channel (owned by MGM) stated that after the early-winter break the remaining 12 episodes will be the last for the show. The franchise could continue in some other form, but that is unclear at this time.

Guardian
09-11-2006, 12:54 AM

Ben

Odd...it sounds so much like our situation with Alpha FLight, your a sly dog Ben :P

I will be picking up Omega Flight, I just hope the old guard wasn't all killed off. Thankfully interviews state they wern't

=D> Nice one Ben. And yeah, despite all my reservations, I'll still give Omega Flight a chance. A slim one anyways.
I just pray my favorites of the old guard weren't killed. [-o< Actually I wish non of them were.

Guardian
09-11-2006, 12:56 AM
I only think James Hudson as Guardian now. =D>

Ben
09-11-2006, 10:35 AM
=D> Nice one Ben. And yeah, despite all my reservations, I'll still give Omega Flight a chance. A slim one anyways.
I just pray my favorites of the old guard weren't killed. [-o< Actually I wish non of them were.

Hey, Sasquatch is hands down my favorite comic character ever, and the though of him being killed off is very bad, but honestly, what's perminant in the industry? Any if this all raises enough attention for Alpha Flight and makes for a sustainable book, it's worth waiting for a resurrection.

Ben

Legerd
09-11-2006, 12:49 PM

Ben

Ha good one Ben... except this isn't goingto be AF, and the last two "AF" "seasons" sucked. :cry:

cmdrkoenig67
09-11-2006, 01:20 PM

Ben

It's not the same, Ben...

Stargate SG-1 is still called Stargate SG-1 with the same ongoing concept...Just like the Avengers, X-Men and Fantastic Four...Some of the faces may come and go, but it still has it's name and heart. Omega Flight is not the same on any level (as far as we've been informed) as Alpha Flight. We can't say..."it's still Alpha Flight...WOW!!!!!"...because it's not.

Dana

cmdrkoenig67
09-11-2006, 01:20 PM

Ben

Ha good one Ben... except this isn't goingto be AF, and the last two "AF" "seasons" sucked. :cry:

Yuppers!

Dana

RolandT
09-11-2006, 03:02 PM
I'm with Ben. Like Star Trek, 4 new series, 4 new characters, and though Voyager and Enterprise were awfully week, Deep Space 9 and Next Generation were very good telestories and lived up to the original and made fans happy. I think v2 was making fans happy from the sales numbers and such.

So I am eager for the release of Omega Flight. And Oeming said Alpha Flight members would show up in Omega Flight too, again.

Barnacle13
09-11-2006, 03:54 PM
I'm torn on this one. I personally prefer Heather as the leader of Alpha Flight, but James is a much more iconic figure to me. Call me sexist if you must, but he just portray a stronger image, and that's typically what a nation wants to portray in its symbology. But, does that mean it has to be Mac to display a strong icon? Not really! I think it'd be great if it turned out to be someone else, and Mac came back and kicked the snot out of them to get his suit and team back. In fact he should bring his team back with him. Sasquatch fully unleashing Tanaraq against Beta Ray Bill would be fun to watch. Puck vs. USAgent and Vindicator battling Arachne would be cool too. Imagine Talisman witnessing this melee and trying to decide who she helps. I say initially put someone else in the Guardian suit and let things develop.

Northcott
09-11-2006, 05:34 PM
I'm torn on this one. I personally prefer Heather as the leader of Alpha Flight, but James is a much more iconic figure to me. Call me sexist if you must, but he just portray a stronger image, and that's typically what a nation wants to portray in its symbology.

I don't think it's necessarily sexist, unless you're looking at it from the point of view of physical strength based on gender... and that's kind of irrelevant when you're talking about people wearing super suits and tossing around tanks. :)

I agree that Mac makes the stronger figure, though. There's a difference between someone who uses high tech to battle crime, and someone capable of developing/creating superhumanly developed high tech and using it themselves. In the mini-series, "Marvels", it was pointed out that the man on the street accepted Iron Man because "he's just an athlete in a suit. A hired guy. It's not like he invented it or anything." That was the public's perception, of course.

What makes people like Mac and Tony Stark superheroes isn't the fact that they've got atomic longjohns, but the fact that their MASSIVE BRAINS built those things. :D Otherwise they'd just be heroes riding the wave. Superheroes must, by definition, exceed normal human capacity.

Guardian
09-11-2006, 11:01 PM

Hey, Sasquatch is hands down my favorite comic character ever, and the though of him being killed off is very bad, but honestly, what's perminant in the industry? Any if this all raises enough attention for Alpha Flight and makes for a sustainable book, it's worth waiting for a resurrection.

Ben

Very true. Excellent points. I can be patient as well. (I think.) :)

Garry/Al-Fan
09-12-2006, 05:17 PM
...because I just don't think a back-from-the-dead, is-he-a-cyborg, is-he-a-clone, is-he-from-displaced-outerspace, who the hell is he Mac is viable.
It's too confusing. Omega Flight needs a blanker slate to get up and running, and making it Mac would be counter to that.

As to who it may be, I won't be real mad---even if it's "Major Mapleleaf"---unless Guardian turns out to be "Mailman Mike," the guy who allegedly killed Alpha Flight in the first place. I'm hoping "Mailman Mike"/The Zorn is in the process of getting a serious *ss-kicking by Omega Flight.

RolandT
09-12-2006, 07:28 PM
Mr. Oeming has said Mailman Mike is not in Omega Flight.

-K-M-
09-12-2006, 09:13 PM

really? where? if true then I'm solid for this book

DelBubs
09-12-2006, 09:18 PM

In the Alpha/Omega (http://forum.alphaflight.net/viewtopic.php?t=1614&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=300) thread. Garry/Al-Fan mentions it.

-K-M-
09-12-2006, 09:23 PM

In the Alpha/Omega (http://forum.alphaflight.net/viewtopic.php?t=1614&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=300) thread. Garry/Al-Fan mentions it.

Thank the lord, I'm gold now :)

Northcott
09-12-2006, 11:58 PM
...because I just don't think a back-from-the-dead, is-he-a-cyborg, is-he-a-clone, is-he-from-displaced-outerspace, who the hell is he Mac is viable.
It's too confusing. Omega Flight needs a blanker slate to get up and running, and making it Mac would be counter to that.

I think that's pretty much the case with any Alpha character. The trick is in paying homage to the past with little comments that the fans will grasp, but not mooring the writing in it so that a convoluted continuity bible is required to understand it.

Having someone else in the suit seems to be on par with having a different strongman in the FF besides Ben Grimm, or someone other than Stark in Ironman's tin suit: sure, it may make for a decent story and fly for awhile, but the trend seems to be to always return the creator to his creation.

It makes sense in light of the tropes of the genre.

cmdrkoenig67
09-13-2006, 05:41 AM
Stargate SG-1 is still called Stargate SG-1 with the same ongoing concept...Just like the Avengers, X-Men and Fantastic Four...Some of the faces may come and go, but it still has it's name and heart. Omega Flight is not the same on any level (as far as we've been informed) as Alpha Flight. We can't say..."it's still Alpha Flight...WOW!!!!!"...because it's not.

Dana

:oops:

Okay...I have to correct myself here. After re-examining the whole Alpha/Omega concept...You're right, Ben...This is Alpha Flight..Or at least, another pretender(with a new name and concept)...Mike O and Joke Q. even said so. Omega Flight is Alpha Flight, Volume 4. While some may be willing to take what Marvel is handing out...I'm peeved that this just the same mistakes all over again.

We are having almost exactly the same discussions as we did when Vol 3. was coming out (as many here, have noticed and pointed out)...I can't help but think that it will very probably end the same too.

Hmmm....I was the bad guy in the Vol 3. discussions too (because I was pissed about the series being written as a joke...I'm sure some of you remember...Wow.. And AF Vol 3. eventually turned out to be a disaster)...I hate Deja Vu.

Dana

DelBubs
09-13-2006, 06:56 AM
One of the things I picked up on in the Scott Kolins interview was when he said

"For Guardian I like the angle of his eyes to mirror the angles of the maple leaf Flag pattern then offset that with the flat cut of the nose area and the rounded flowing contours of his anatomy. I don’t like Guardian to have a Dr. Doom triangular nose - makes him look less sci-fi to me."

The fact that the name Guardian is still going to be used is good. Either it's in homage to the fallen Mac by whoevers in the suit, or as I like to think, it's the man himself.

Northcott
09-13-2006, 02:17 PM
We are having almost exactly the same discussions as we did when Vol 3. was coming out (as many here, have noticed and pointed out)...I can't help but think that it will very probably end the same too.

To be fair, I remember a number of people stating that they were cautiously optimistic, hoping that humour would be played down and that we'd see the originals return. In a way, we did. Lobdell may have taken on the mantle of the most villainized Alpha writer ever, but in the end he did exactly what many people were screaming for: he brought back the original Alpha Flight in their full strength.

There is, however, no doubt that the series was a flop. It didn't draw new fans, and the old fans hated it more often than not.

But on that note of fairness: As much as the old series may have been a stinker, and even though we're seeing a similar pattern of conversation develop here, there's one big thing to bear in mind -- this is a different creative team. A very different creative team.

While the comparison to past conversations is entirely accurate and fair, it's not fair to tar this team with the same brush. They have different sensibilities, different approaches to story, and a different level of involvement with the book.

Perhaps this series will turn out to be a stinker, too. But given Oeming's penchant for writing character-driven stories that stay true to a character's concepts, his rep for taking his work seriously while injecting some fun at the same time, and the shared love of the characters between both writer and artist, I think this will be a series of very different flavour.

It may be starting out on an odd note, but I'm willing to give it a chance simply based on the rep of the creative team.

cmdrkoenig67
09-13-2006, 02:58 PM

To be fair, I remember a number of people stating that they were cautiously optimistic, hoping that humour would be played down and that we'd see the originals return. In a way, we did. Lobdell may have taken on the mantle of the most villainized Alpha writer ever, but in the end he did exactly what many people were screaming for: he brought back the original Alpha Flight in their full strength.

Yes...He brought them back and then got rid of them almost immediately (in the very same issue, #6 wasn't it?).

There is, however, no doubt that the series was a flop. It didn't draw new fans, and the old fans hated it more often than not.

I think it was because of the lack of original content (original team members, that many of us were dying to see)...the constant jokes (not very good ones, at that) and well....the really bad plots.

Dana

Snowsquatch
09-13-2006, 04:20 PM
"For Guardian I like the angle of his eyes to mirror the angles of the maple leaf Flag pattern then offset that with the flat cut of the nose area and the rounded flowing contours of his anatomy. I don’t like Guardian to have a Dr. Doom triangular nose - makes him look less sci-fi to me."

I agree 100%. Whenever I can see a "nose-shape" in Guardian's face it makes me wince.

kozzi24
09-13-2006, 09:37 PM
Lobdell brought back the original Alpha in issue 12...thus further convoluting the team for all future use. And I personally blame the editor who okay'd that.

I do remember that the regular posters here polarized over volume 3 when it was active, and have noticed that since the demise of Vol 3, many people vehemently supporting it have since basically said how much it sucked.

The whole volume 3 is a good parable for blind devotion to something because of a tenuous connection, and an equally good parable for giving something new a shot.

I am taking the approach that Omega Flight is NOT AF Volume 4, but a linked title, thru Talisman, a Guardian, and the Canadian setting. But with John Walker, Arachne and BRB, my logical mind is classifying this as being more closely linked to Avengers.

Le Messor
09-14-2006, 06:31 AM
You know, it occurs to me that Oeming said there can be only one Canadian in that picture (and when the writer says that, he isn't counting maple leafs). He didn't say the rest were Americans.
Maybe there's a new Guardian, who isn't American or Canadian?

Maybe that -is- Snowbird, not Talisman, and he doesn't think of her as Canadian?

We are having almost exactly the same discussions as we did when Vol 3. was coming out (as many here, have noticed and pointed out)...

Actually, I thought I was the only one...

I didn't mind pointing it out several times, because we don't seem to notice conversational re-runs around here. :roll:

(And, nobody seemed to pick up on it when I said it, but when you say it am I jealous or rambling or something...)

In a way, we did. Lobdell may have taken on the mantle of the most villainized Alpha writer ever, but in the end he did exactly what many people were screaming for: he brought back the original Alpha Flight in their full strength.

Wow! What series were you reading?

- Le Messor
"Once is accident. Twice is coincidence.
Three times is enemy action."

DelBubs
09-14-2006, 06:40 AM
I think somewhere in one of these threads I asked if Talisman would consider herself Canadian or Native American. So both her and Mac could be there, because even if she see's herself as Canadian, would Mike Oeming ?

Canucklehead
09-14-2006, 09:00 AM
I think somewhere in one of these threads I asked if Talisman would consider herself Canadian or Native American. So both her and Mac could be there, because even if she see's herself as Canadian, would Mike Oeming ?

I would assume so since I believe in the US Native Americans are considered American. Hell they're the first Americans. The same goes for Canada. I don't think Oeming would want to start anything controversial like that anyway.

Has Talisman ever stated in a book that she doesn't see herself as a Canadian?

Ben
09-14-2006, 10:23 AM
We are having almost exactly the same discussions as we did when Vol 3. was coming out (as many here, have noticed and pointed out)...

I didn't mind pointing it out several times, because we don't seem to notice conversational re-runs around here. :roll:

(And, nobody seemed to pick up on it when I said it, but when you say it am I jealous or rambling or something...)

Actually I think it's more that people chose not to respond, as many are looking at the positive side of this, and not concentrating on the possible negatives.

Millar informed me months ago that this series was in the works, and that it would feature mostly US characters at first but with in a few issues things would be moving in a more "classic" direction. (I can talk about this now that Oeming has said as much) The reason I bring this up is because I wanted to show it's not just Oeming talking out his @$$ to appease classic fans.

What it comes down to is that Marvel is no where close to even considering launching a classic AF series. It's been proposed by several people in the industry several times, and each time shot down. When Millar and Bendis came to Marvel with this idea, it was Oeming they suggested do the book, but gave him free reign to do it how he wanted, but was intended to be basically NON AF members starting off as a spin off from CW, and would morph as other characters became involved.

So for those who say "we've heard this before" yah we have. Seagle said it, and he meant it, it just took too long. His plan was a 2 year plan to return to a classic format, but it was axed before that came to fruition. He took way too long with it, and readers were under the impression that the initial 2 year "Department H. Conspiracy" story was what the whole book was to be about, unfortunately it all took too long for fans to stay interested. I quite liked the book personally, but I know there are others who did not like it.

With Lobdell, he didn't actually say that we would be seeing any influx of classic characters, just that they would be seen in the book. If I remember correctly he even stated that this was not a book about classic characters, that it was All New All Different for a reason. Innitially Snowbird was to be a member, but she was cut out of the plan. This book to me wasn't AF, I enjoyed some aspects of it, and hated how it ended. But don't mistaken his mention of classic characters appearing meaning that they would be part of the book in any significant way.

This is a fresh start, a fresh title. 99% of what people are saying over the net is positive, lets all give the book a chance before condemning it. I'm optimistic, excited, and have a lot of faith in Millar, Oeming and the plan for this title.

Ben

Guardian
09-14-2006, 03:26 PM
One of the things I picked up on in the Scott Kolins interview was when he said

The fact that the name Guardian is still going to be used is good. Either it's in homage to the fallen Mac by whoevers in the suit, or as I like to think, it's the man himself.

I picked up on that as well. I too like to think that that is Mac in the suit. But at least the Guardian name will be used if it's not him.

Guardian
09-14-2006, 03:35 PM

Millar informed me months ago that this series was in the works, and that it would feature mostly US characters at first but with in a few issues things would be moving in a more "classic" direction. (I can talk about this now that Oeming has said as much) The reason I bring this up is because I wanted to show it's not just Oeming talking out his @$$ to appease classic fans.

What it comes down to is that Marvel is no where close to even considering launching a classic AF series. It's been proposed by several people in the industry several times, and each time shot down. When Millar and Bendis came to Marvel with this idea, it was Oeming they suggested do the book, but gave him free reign to do it how he wanted, but was intended to be basically NON AF members starting off as a spin off from CW, and would morph as other characters became involved.

This is a fresh start, a fresh title. 99% of what people are saying over the net is positive, lets all give the book a chance before condemning it. I'm optimistic, excited, and have a lot of faith in Millar, Oeming and the plan for this title.

Ben

These comments give me more hope for a good series.

Northcott
09-14-2006, 03:37 PM
You know, it occurs to me that Oeming said there can be only one Canadian in that picture (and when the writer says that, he isn't counting maple leafs). He didn't say the rest were Americans.
Maybe there's a new Guardian, who isn't American or Canadian?

Not quite. He coyly answered that he could only "see one Canadian" in that picture. Given that only a couple figures in that picture are clearly visible, and we had to guess at that being Talisman...

Nah. :)

Wow! What series were you reading?

I stopped reading the series almost immediately. But I do remember him bringing them back at the very last, and as Kozzi mentions, in issue 12 the full cast of original Alpha was brought back to their "golden age" state.

Not that I'd advocate any writer getting too deeply mired in that convoluted continuity. It just seems an easy blank slate to start with: take the original team, have it stated by Shaman that some kind of off-camera "melding" took place, and just run with telling fun, strong stories with a group of interesting, iconic characters who are restored to a state of grace.

Powersurge
09-14-2006, 04:38 PM
Hey. Maybe the Snowbird/Talisman looking chick is neither. Maybe she's a native "Alaskan"?!

And if it is Snowbird, well, the question has been asked, would Talisman consider herself Canadian, so would a demi-goddess, whose connection with the land predates the existence of Canada and the designation of "North America", consider herself Canadian?!

Maybe not.

Northcott
09-14-2006, 05:09 PM
I really think you guys are over-analyzing this. :D The interview was done with a sense of humour. My money's on Oeming having been playing with words a little.

Phil
09-14-2006, 05:43 PM
Another way to look at it is that you can only see one Canadian (Guardian), because you can't see the figures that are shadowed...

Northcott
09-14-2006, 08:30 PM
Another way to look at it is that you can only see one Canadian (Guardian), because you can't see the figures that are shadowed...

That's what I was trying to say in my overly vague way. :)

Le Messor
09-15-2006, 05:24 AM
one Canadian in that picture (and when the writer says that, he isn't counting maple leafs).
Not quite. He coyly answered that he could only "see one Canadian"

I knew that. :shock:
But, see the bit in brackets.

I stopped reading the series almost immediately. But I do remember him bringing them back at the very last.

Lobdell did that; but he didn't bring "back the original Alpha Flight in their full strength."

Actually I think it's more that people chose not to respond, as many are looking at the positive side of this, and not concentrating on the possible negatives. This is a fresh start, a fresh title. 99% of what people are saying over the net is positive, lets all give the book a chance before condemning it.

:( to not being worth a response.

Please, please don't think I've been condemning the series before reading it. I've been very careful to say that it looks good, and I plan to pick it up and read it (as I did v2 and v3 before it), and this one I might enjoy.

My gripe has always been the feeling that people are telling me my Alpha Fanhood obliges me to buy this book.

Also, I see patterns. That is my blessing. That is my curse.

I call it a 'blurse'. :shock:
It means that I listen for certain combinations of words. And when those combinations have always, in the past, led to pain for me, I do not like to hear them again.
'Trust me' is the worst one of all. When I hear them, the last thing that will ever, ever happen is that I will trust the teller.
... and that was true even before... but I'm not telling that story.

Oeming knows exactly who is in that picture. As the writer, he should know their exact origins (as he's writing them), too.
If he's playing silly word games like that with us, that's the sort of thing that will make me negative about this book.
... unless he puts it in the text as a game. I'd enjoy it then.

- Le Messor
Now that we're all supposed to be Alpha / Omega fans, maybe we should change the name of the forum. I suggest: "The Flight Club".

Of course, since the first rule of Flight Club is, we don't talk about Flight Club, we're gonna lose a lot of publicity.

DelBubs
11-27-2006, 03:57 PM
Giving this a little bump due to the recent renewed speculation. Trying to figure this with all the new info factored in.

Mac ? Not sure any more, almost sure, but not definately certain.
Tony Stark ? Can't see it at all, no reason for him to go to Canada, prolly going to be 'Head of Shield'.
Captain America ? Kinda doubt it, with the American Gov having a liason with Omega, it would suggest that OF will be closely associated with the pro reg sentiment.
Hawkeye ? I don't think Marvel would want to tie him to a new Identity so soon after any return.
Major Maple Leaf ? I wouldn't think so, too inept or percieved by fans as so.
Sean Bernard ? Good as choice as any. Some experience with the technology. Canadian gov could coherce him. They never actually went after him after the Egghead business, doesn't mean they wouldn't.

Any more candidates?

Snowsquatch
11-27-2006, 04:07 PM
Any more candidates?
Northstar? Not a bad choice, really.
MML? I could live with this. They could even call him MML.
Jeffries? I could live with this too.

Tony Stark? The worst idea ever, worse than Steve Rogers.
Frankly, if they dare put any American in that suit... :evil:

RolandT
11-27-2006, 05:47 PM
James Hudson is fine, then I'd go with Wild Child I guess. As long as it's a Canadian! It would be stupendously idiotic to put anyone else in the suit, like Barton or Ben Ulrich.

Garry/Al-Fan
11-29-2006, 01:09 PM
...Now that we're all supposed to be Alpha / Omega fans, maybe we should change the name of the forum. I suggest: "The Flight Club".

Of course, since the first rule of Flight Club is, we don't talk about Flight Club, we're gonna lose a lot of publicity.

I don't have a guess as to who might be in the Guardian suit [today], I just find the name-change suggestion amusing and I like it!

Legerd
12-16-2006, 10:45 AM
What if the suit is just a costume and not THE suit? The person wearing it may have their own powers and is wearing it in the memory of AF. I just had a thought while reading an interview that it could be Walter in the Guardian outfit, he does have the physique shown in the pic and we know he's alive and shows up in the book.

-K-M-
12-16-2006, 10:59 AM
What if the suit is just a costume and not THE suit? The person wearing it may have their own powers and is wearing it in the memory of AF.

Well techincally that's what happened to Mac near the end of Alpha Flight. He was the suit thanks to his upgrade, he didn't need to wear the suit. However, that has since been ignored.

Snowsquatch
12-16-2006, 01:03 PM
What if the suit is just a costume and not THE suit? The person wearing it may have their own powers and is wearing it in the memory of AF. I just had a thought while reading an interview that it could be Walter in the Guardian outfit, he does have the physique shown in the pic and we know he's alive and shows up in the book.
If it's Northstar in the suit, I'd prefer that it just be a costume. I'd also prefer he remained known as Northstar.

Doesn't Northstar now have upgraded abilities that vaguely resemble the blast-emitting powers of the EM suit?

If it's Jeffries in the suit, I'd prefer it function as the EM suit. Which makes total sense, given that Jeffries and Bochs created Heather's suit.

I hope it's not Walter in the suit.

Ya know, I'm now perfectly fine with the fact that AF was wiped out. As long as someone can fill the roles of Guardian (like Northstar or Jeffries), Sasquatch (like Narya) and Shaman (Talisman, obviously), the basic "feel" of AF is retained.

syvalois
12-16-2006, 01:54 PM
If it's Northstar in the suit, I'd prefer that it just be a costume. I'd also prefer he remained known as Northstar.

I just think, given Northstar history, it would be a little bit too much to see him in the suit. Remember he was part of the FLQ? Even if I don't like that part of his history, I don't think it can be forgotten. But most of all, I don't think it would be IN character to do that.

Snowsquatch
12-16-2006, 02:37 PM
I just think, given Northstar history, it would be a little bit too much to see him in the suit. Remember he was part of the FLQ? Even if I don't like that part of his history, I don't think it can be forgotten. But most of all, I don't think it would be IN character to do that.
That was a long time ago. He was pardoned by the Prime Minister. He has been a proud member of Canada's AF. He even wore the red team suit for a time. Remember this?

http://www.alphaflight.net/character_galleries/northstar/northstar_gallery14.jpg

I didn't like the team suits, by the way.

If Hudson is dead, I think Northstar is the best choice to take his place.

syvalois
12-16-2006, 03:39 PM
I didn't like the team suits, by the way.

If Hudson is dead, I think Northstar is the best choice to take his place.

It's a team suit, he is not the symbol of canada like the guardian suit is. If you like, it's like those soverign athlete representing Canada to the olympic Games. You just don't know how many there is.

Northstar would be maybe a good choice as a leader but not in the suit. Aurora would make a lot better choice than Northstar. Except it's obvious, it's not a woman. :wink:

And I don't see Northstar in the fleur de lys/Québec flag either. That would be a joke. Northstar never wanted to be a model, he just want to be himself.

Legerd
12-16-2006, 04:53 PM
Well techincally that's what happened to Mac near the end of Alpha Flight. He was the suit thanks to his upgrade, he didn't need to wear the suit. However, that has since been ignored.

Yeah, IMO the whole Mac is a cyborg/now he's not screwed his character around about as bad as the multiple "deaths". However, the point I was trying to make was maybe it's Walter in the costume. He could be wearing one made from unstable molecules so he can transform into Sasquatch. Or, how about this? Walt's suffering from survivor's guilt and takes on the mantle of Guardian at some point in the near future to keep Mac's dream alive.

Flightpath07
02-01-2007, 04:53 PM
Well, I am a little late to post on this poll, but heck
I am a newbie here! lol

My vote (if they are still being counted)
is for "someone else" ,
that someone being, of course, Weapon Omega himself, Kyle Gibney.
I know my theory got shot full of holes, but i am sticking by it because it is all I can think of that at least makes some sense.

Mokole
02-01-2007, 06:10 PM
Tony Stark or Steve Rogers? Not a chance.
- not only because there's lots of reasons to think Captain America and Iron man stay in the U.S., would Marvel have either become Guardian for what is the Marvelverse equivalent of two weeks? Originally, that person would be a permanent resident of Canada, hence the downgrade means that Stark or Rogers would be in Canada 'hiding out' as Guardian for two weeks. Either view looks silly, really, for such prominent Americans, and we know Miller said Cap ain't goin' to the North, while Iron amn may be Director of SHIELD.

Kyle Gibney? Possibly.
- yes, the 'Omega' hints give him many ties, he's short like the Initiative image shows, he has no powers and may want to be a hero.

Walter Langkowski? Not anymore.
- he's Sasquatch and the Initiative shows him as such.

Madison Jeffries? Not likely, but...
- he still has his powers and was last seen as insane with Weapon X guy. Not much reason to see Oeming wrenching him into the role without some explanation of how he got his sanity back, or why he'd put on a suit he doesn't need. Though I do like Box.... 8)

Albert Louis? Possibly.
- only possible because he's a natural; for the suit, generates his own power, and the 'smoking' thing hits at him and his energy level. But he is a pretty obscure character to put in the role. Even if I do like him. :wink:

Hawkeye? No.
- he's just returned from the dead again and has zero motivation to go to Canada. Again, how would he get shoehorned into the role and what exactly does he have to cry about? Besides, he has no experince with power suits like that.

Lou Sadler? Chuck Moss? Maybe, I doubt it. Really.
- The height thing from the Initiative pic. Both are a bit taller that USAgent and Talisman. MML is most likley dead. Moss is like Feedback, pretty obscure. But MML has something to cry about, his wife's death, Moss too I guess (Shaman), and Moss is magical like Oeming wants. MML could need the suit if alive, but Moss and his magic... wouldn't he have the pouch, not Talisman? And released images show Guardian as way too short to be either.

Northstar? Nope.
- tied to the X-Men still, next week he'll likely join Exodus and the Acolytes.

Windshear? Not likely.
- tones suggest a white guy and he wasn't looking to be a hero for years.

Postman Mike? Nope.
- again, awfully obscure choice, and though he may want to apologize for all his murders I doubt Oeming would put him in as Canada's leading hero, Guardian. "I killed almost all your friends, I'm sorry, how about letting me make amends by being Prime Minister?" Makes zero sense to me.

Flex? Radius?

Hudson, MML, Wild Child? Still a lot of possibilities no matter how you look at it. But I'm going with it being one of the canucks.

cmdrkoenig67
02-03-2007, 04:10 AM
Tony Stark or Steve Rogers? Not a chance.
- not only because there's lots of reasons to think Captain America and Iron man stay in the U.S., would Marvel have either become Guardian for what is the Marvelverse equivalent of two weeks? Originally, that person would be a permanent resident of Canada, hence the downgrade means that Stark or Rogers would be in Canada 'hiding out' as Guardian for two weeks. Either view looks silly, really, for such prominent Americans, and we know Miller said Cap ain't goin' to the North, while Iron amn may be Director of SHIELD.[/qoute]

Agreed.

Kyle Gibney? Possibly.
- yes, the 'Omega' hints give him many ties, he's short like the Initiative image shows, he has no powers and may want to be a hero.

Hmmmm...Not sure about Kyle, but I'd have to put him in the "longshot" category.

Walter Langkowski? Not anymore.
- he's Sasquatch and the Initiative shows him as such.

Agreed.

[qoute] Madison Jeffries? Not likely, but...
- he still has his powers and was last seen as insane with Weapon X guy. Not much reason to see Oeming wrenching him into the role without some explanation of how he got his sanity back, or why he'd put on a suit he doesn't need. Though I do like Box.... 8)

He's not insane, Mokole. He's been brainwashed (twice)...Big difference there.

Albert Louis? Possibly.
- only possible because he's a natural; for the suit, generates his own power, and the 'smoking' thing hits at him and his energy level. But he is a pretty obscure character to put in the role. Even if I do like him. :wink:

Very, very doubtful...He hasn't been seen in many, many years and like you said...He's pretty obscure.

[qoute] Hawkeye? No.
- he's just returned from the dead again and has zero motivation to go to Canada. Again, how would he get shoehorned into the role and what exactly does he have to cry about? Besides, he has no experince with power suits like that.

Lou Sadler? Chuck Moss? Maybe, I doubt it. Really.
- The height thing from the Initiative pic. Both are a bit taller that USAgent and Talisman. MML is most likley dead. Moss is like Feedback, pretty obscure. But MML has something to cry about, his wife's death, Moss too I guess (Shaman), and Moss is magical like Oeming wants. MML could need the suit if alive, but Moss and his magic... wouldn't he have the pouch, not Talisman? And released images show Guardian as way too short to be either.

Northstar? Nope.
- tied to the X-Men still, next week he'll likely join Exodus and the Acolytes.

Windshear? Not likely.
- tones suggest a white guy and he wasn't looking to be a hero for years.

Postman Mike? Nope.
- again, awfully obscure choice, and though he may want to apologize for all his murders I doubt Oeming would put him in as Canada's leading hero, Guardian. "I killed almost all your friends, I'm sorry, how about letting me make amends by being Prime Minister?" Makes zero sense to me.

Flex? Radius?

Hudson, MML, Wild Child? Still a lot of possibilities no matter how you look at it. But I'm going with it being one of the canucks.[/quote]

At this point...It's looking a lot like it's going to be Michael Pointer, but we'll see.

Dana