PDA

View Full Version : Of Thors and Thunder Gods (CW SPOILERS WITHIN)

Powersurge
09-22-2006, 03:05 AM
Spoiler space...

Someone over on the Classic Marvel RPG site pondered whether or not the Thor present in CW#4 would be the Thor we would see in the upcoming title.

Here is a thought that flashed through my mind...

The Thor clone was made from Thor's genetic material, and is physically identical to classic Marvel Thor, but lacks the classics "I-stuff"... the personal history and characteristics that make Thor Thor.

Now, metagenetics postulate that memory, personality, et al. are interlinked with genetics. So, maybe, this clone will serve as the vehicle for Thor-Thor's return? It will at some point "Awaken" to his experience and "Thor-ness", and become what he use to be... as opposed to Stark's newest gun.

Thoughts?

Title edited for spoilers

Transmetropolitan
09-22-2006, 04:44 AM
I think BRB is going to pound the crud outta it, personally.

Canucklehead
09-22-2006, 08:18 AM
I think BRB is going to pound the crud outta it, personally.

I'll drink to that! Though it's only 8am...

What I love about OmegaFlight is that it started as Millar's idea. Therefore he's more then likely going to give them a good spin in CW(where he can fit them in). I just think Bill is the only one who can take down that powerhouse.

As for Thor, I don't think Clor'll be the vehicle for Thor's return, but maybe an excuse to come back. Seems I recall gods have a thing against people impersonating them or people worshoping a false god. He might see this from Valhalla and be mighty steamed. His new book takes place in the Mid West States and JMS likes to follow his own path. I doubt he uses the clone as a body, but we'll see.

JQ said that we'd see the clone again in the future. I think they'll pull another "Ultron" where it goes berserk and becomes a baddy.

Powersurge
09-22-2006, 08:56 AM
I could see Thor returniung via another avenue. Afterall, the question still remanins who the mysterious stranger carrying a brief case marked with the initals D.B. Or of what, if anything has happened to the real Mjonir following it's reappearance in the Fantastic Four.

One way or anther though, we are going to be left with a God of Thunder who is really cheesed off at someone. Afterall, as the Icelandic Eddas, the Havamal to be specific, states (a couple of times) "cattle die, kinsmen die, and so shall you yourself, but a good name never dies for those that win it well".

So, Thor is going to return in another vessel, and be red with rage at what this clone has done to his name in his abscence. Or, the clone will become Thor and will interpret the deeds his makers told him to do as the real deal would.

Either way, thats a bad day to be a pro-reg.'er

I'm pretty sure Asgard was destroyed though in whatever arc dealt with Thor's death. It's been a while since I've read ANY comics... til relatively recently anyway. According to the interview with, I think it was the guy whose going to be writing the new Thor title, Asgard is supposed to be rebuilt in Oklahoma and the borderline Middle English is supposed to be replaced with more contemporary habits of speech... which I suppose at least leaves him speaking Anglo-Saxon (cousin tongue of Old Norse)rooted words 90% of the time, like any other Englishman.

Apparently, the artist is going to make the garb of the new Asgardians more cultural; the interview having cited the Riders of Rohan as an example of their garb, which was patently Norse-Germanic in design. Very Cool.

Julesville
09-22-2006, 03:58 PM
You'd think that cloning a God would come with some more complications. How can you tell a god, even a cloned one, what to do?

This could be the catalyst for bringing the Asgardians back, have 'em pissed at humanity of their blasphemy. The Asgardians could also potentialy be brand new, I mean, if their whole universe is destroyed then reborn they could be some new dudes, dudes we haven't seen before.

Speaking of gods, I'ld like to see some mroe of the NOrthern Gods and the Eternals, just sort of interacting with each other more.

I hate Clone heros though, it dilutes the idea of one man against the odds.

Peace.

Canucklehead
09-22-2006, 04:24 PM

I know. Like, why can't they just clone Goliath? A god dies, no problem, I have a hair sample from 10 years ago. A regular joe dies and leaves 10 tones of DNA and there's nothing they can do for him. :roll:

Julesville
09-22-2006, 04:46 PM

I know. Like, why can't they just clone Goliath? A god dies, no problem, I have a hair sample from 10 years ago. A regular joe dies and leaves 10 tones of DNA and there's nothing they can do for him. :roll:It makes you wonder what else Richards has in his lab, and who else he could clone. Maybe he has Mar-Vell's used toilet paper, Hawkeye's hemaroid cream applicator, or Jean Gray's used tampon. Ehhh... I made myself sick on that one... :oops: :cry:

RolandT
09-22-2006, 06:12 PM
Does anyone think they'll have more clones in Civil War?

Powersurge
09-22-2006, 07:47 PM
Sorry about the lack of a SPOILER-cue at first, guys. My thanks to the moderators for putting it in there.

Oh, I just heard on another list that the D.B. guy did end up grasping Mjolnir, and the tale ended with a big flash of lightning. Guess I should've read the next issue of FF. Ooops! :oops:

Guardian
09-23-2006, 01:07 AM
Does anyone think they'll have more clones in Civil War?

Man I hope not. If Bill Foster comes back as a clone to fight with IM and his cronies, I might poke my eyes out.

Legerd
09-23-2006, 01:46 PM

I know. Like, why can't they just clone Goliath? A god dies, no problem, I have a hair sample from 10 years ago. A regular joe dies and leaves 10 tones of DNA and there's nothing they can do for him. :roll:

Or AF for that matter.