PDA

View Full Version : Recent Reads

DelBubs
09-30-2006, 09:05 PM
I've picked up a whole mess of comics over the recent weeks, some I've read and put away, some I haven't got to yet and hopefully some will stand out. So I thought I'd start this thread so people can spotlight a comic that they've recently read that's stood out.

So to get the ball rolling I thought I'd mention 'Union Jack' #1 of 4. I'm not really sure why I picked it up, but I'm glad I did. Good characterisation, nice art and the right mix of angst and story. Sabra and Arabian Knight sniping at each other bring a touch of realism to the proceedings, snot nosed British inteligence agents (is there any other kind :-) ) and Tower Bridge getting blowed up just add to the fun. Plus as it's only a limited, not much of an outlay for what promises to be a welcome break from that well written major event going on at present.

Obsidian3d
10-01-2006, 12:56 AM
I've been away for quite some time and only recently back in the country. I have read the odd trade paperback that I could afford while I was in Japan, but by and large I have no idea what's going on in the world of comics. However, I have enjoyed The Walking Dead. It does exactly what a good zombie movie can't: follow the characters long term.

Last week I was in the local comic shop and had very little spare cash, so I settled on the first issue of the newest Flash series. Not a bad read at all. I'll pick up the second issue next time I have some more money.

kozzi24
10-01-2006, 09:55 AM
I liked Union Jack, but still would have preferred to have seen more English or European characters instead of Sabra and the new Knight. I was also a little disappointed that the writer decided to just write Spitfire out. I would have preferred to have SEEN the breakup due to class issues as brought out by the class issues clearly addressed in the series.

DelBubs
10-01-2006, 10:10 AM
I gotta admit to being a little ignorant of recent events in Union Jacks life. I'm okay with his history, but the only Spitfire I'm aware off is the WW 2 version. I wouldn't have minded seeing some European characters instead of Sabra and Arabian Knight, (Shamrock, Blietzkrieg (if he's still about) Le Peregrine, etc) but I think the two middle eastern types where shoved in for the angst value.

kozzi24
10-01-2006, 10:18 AM
Spitfire and Union Jack were together and apparently happy in the most recent issue of Captain America. Considering that the couple has been seen fairly regularly in the last couple years (Cap Amer, Invaders), the break-up seemed sudden and forced.

Spitfire is the WW2 woman, Jackie something-or-other (Critchett, Critwell?). She was de-aged via a blood transfusion by the original human torch, I think in early issue of Byrne's Namor (circa #12)

HappyCanuck
10-01-2006, 01:41 PM
She was de-aged via a blood transfusion by the original human torch, I think in early issue of Byrne's Namor (circa #12)

Okay, colour me naive, since I honestly don't know a lot about these characters, but correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the original Human Torch an Android?? How on earth do you a) even GET blood out of a machine and b) 'de-age' because of said blood??

Le Messor
10-01-2006, 07:09 PM
Okay, colour me naive, since I honestly don't know a lot about these characters, but correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the original Human Torch an Android?? How on earth do you a) even GET blood out of a machine and b) 'de-age' because of said blood??

I can't seem to find that colour in this pallet...

He's artificial, certainly. Getting a 'blood' transfusion from him is how she (Lady Jacqueline Falsworth Crichton) got her powers in the first place. The second took her back to the age when that happened, 16, I believe.

(Yes, in Byrne's Namor. Dunno the issue.)

- Le Messor
"All children grow up--except one."
- JM Barrie

Julesville
10-02-2006, 05:25 PM
I like Union Jack, he's a cool guy. That's all I gotta say. Infact, I like most nationalistic super heroes, everyone ends up pissed at their country at some point, and adds a cool pluralistic quality to an individualic identity and profession. Good stuff...

Guardian
10-02-2006, 07:17 PM
I did pick up Union Jack #1 when it came out, but I haven't read it yet. I was excited to see Sabra in it. As I was pleasantly surprised to see her in CW:X-Men #2 ( I think). I'm sure this will be a good read.

I loved Captain America #22. I picked it up last week but just read it last night. Awsome read. And showing most of it from Sharon Carter's view point was great. I think Brubaker is a god! 8)

Guardian
10-02-2006, 07:22 PM
I like Union Jack, he's a cool guy. That's all I gotta say. Infact, I like most nationalistic super heroes, everyone ends up pissed at their country at some point, and adds a cool pluralistic quality to an individualic identity and profession. Good stuff...

I too have always enjoyed most if not all of the nationalistic heroes as well. There's so many: Captain America, American Dream, U.S. Agent, Battlestar, Spirit of '76, Union Jack, Captain Britian, Sabra, Guardian. Among many others.

DelBubs
10-02-2006, 07:33 PM
As for Cap #22. It was well written and got into the charcaters, but I didn't really learn anything about any of the two main characters I didn't already know. Did it really need 22 (?) pages to introduce a plot thread ? Art was good though :lol:

Guardian
10-02-2006, 07:55 PM
As long as Brubaker continues to do what he does, he can take as many pages as he wants to do anything. The art was great though.

Obsidian3d
10-02-2006, 09:34 PM
I too have always enjoyed most if not all of the nationalistic heroes as well. There's so many: Captain America, American Dream, U.S. Agent, Battlestar, Spirit of '76, Union Jack, Captain Britian, Sabra, Guardian. Among many others.

Hey what about Captain Canuck and Major Mapleleaf. They were cool? Right? ...right? :roll:

(Don't throw veggies at me I'm only kidding)

Transmetropolitan
10-03-2006, 03:18 AM

Who was the Cap-Analogue on the People's Protectorate? I liked that team a great deal, actually.

Guardian
10-03-2006, 03:37 PM

Who was the Cap-Analogue on the People's Protectorate? I liked that team a great deal, actually.

You must be talkin' about the Red Guardian? The Soviet Union's answer to Captain America. (Without the Super-Soilder Serum of course.)

Transmetropolitan
10-03-2006, 04:26 PM
You must be talkin' about the Red Guardian? The Soviet Union's answer to Captain America. (Without the Super-Soilder Serum of course.)

That sounds about right.

S'funny... I "met" the Protectorate at about the same time I met Alpha Flight, during the Combine story.

HappyCanuck
10-04-2006, 04:25 AM
Red Guardian later became 'Steel Guardian' after the People's Protectorate was transfered over from the Super Soviets, to reflect Russia's change from Communism to Democracy.

Le Messor
10-04-2006, 08:24 AM
Hey what about Captain Canuck and Major Mapleleaf. They were cool? Right? ...right?
(Don't throw veggies at me I'm only kidding)

'course not!

Around here, we throw pudding.

Julesville
10-04-2006, 04:15 PM

I too have always enjoyed most if not all of the nationalistic heroes as well. There's so many: Captain America, American Dream, U.S. Agent, Battlestar, Spirit of '76, Union Jack, Captain Britian, Sabra, Guardian. Among many others.There were some others of less importance, and I mean to the reader, they could be hella cool in the fiction's own country. Rember Super Heroes of Europe from that Sentry comic. Most died and didn't do much, but they were there... they were always there...

Powersurge
10-04-2006, 04:16 PM
Major Mapleleaf fan here! :oops: More the Senior than the Junior, of course.

Sure, they've both suffered from crappy writers, but hey, we're talking AF here, so they're in good company. :shock:

Guardian
10-04-2006, 11:23 PM

That sounds about right.

S'funny... I "met" the Protectorate at about the same time I met Alpha Flight, during the Combine story.

Poor Red Guardian though. The latest was executed in Captain America #1 (vol. 5) by Gen. Lukin.

Guardian
10-04-2006, 11:29 PM
Red Guardian later became 'Steel Guardian' after the People's Protectorate was transfered over from the Super Soviets, to reflect Russia's change from Communism to Democracy.

Yeah I think the Red Guardian of that time took the name Steel Guardian when he joined a team called the Winter Guard.