PDA

View Full Version : Degrassi: Extra Credit

Northcott
10-23-2006, 12:33 AM
My apologies for the plug, people, but I had to get this one off my chest:
Link to the article at The Pulse (http://www.comicon.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=36;t=005672;p=0)
That's an interview with J. Torres as he talks about the book, which is about to be released in Canada, and is scheduled for a release date of Nov 21 in the USA. I'm not sure what the release dates are in Australia and Europe.

In related news, I just finished updating my site with some of the cover paintings that went into the initial pitch for the series.
http://home.golden.net/~enorthcott/html/comics.html

Edit: Please pardon how rough some of those pages look. The book is being published at a 5x7 size, so those pages are really oversized in terms of proportion. I always twitch when I see my work blown up like that -- all the errors stick out like neon signs.

Effexxor
10-23-2006, 01:44 PM
*squeals*

There's a Degrassi comic book? And they go to a gay club?! Oh. My. God. This is so freaking cool. My friends are going to flip, we're obsessive over this show.

And sweet work! Marco looks adorable. ^.^

Northcott
10-23-2006, 03:18 PM
*squeals*

There's a Degrassi comic book? And they go to a gay club?! Oh. My. God. This is so freaking cool. My friends are going to flip, we're obsessive over this show.

And sweet work! Marco looks adorable. ^.^

C'mon! If you're a real fan you'll figure out which episode that's from. ;) The idea behind DEC is that it's a peek behind the scenes. The big plot lines that they leave hanging in the show, where things happen during the summer months that you never get to see? That's what DEC covers. In this case the first book is tied to one of the episodes that takes place near the end of the school year.

Effexxor
10-23-2006, 06:52 PM
Oooo, that sounds cool. God, I hope they sell that somewhere near here. -.-' I'll probably have to beg my cousins in Calgary to send me some. Gosh darn Nebraska!

And I'll have you know that it isn't my fault that I'm behind on my Degrassi knowledge. We're kinda at the mercy of The N channel, and they're always a season or two behind. It really, really stinks, especially when you hear rumors from Canada and have to wait for a year to see if they're true.

Northcott
10-23-2006, 08:36 PM
Really? I thought they were playing season 6 on the N. In fact, I think they started a week or two earlier than CTV got it up here.

The books will be on sale in the USA as of November 1st, put out by Simon and Shuster. I believe Barnes & Noble will be carrying them. If not, there's always Amazon.com.

DelBubs
11-01-2006, 08:33 PM
Update (http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=8780).

http://images.comicbookresources.com/previews/degrassi/1551683180_sm.jpg

Northcott
11-01-2006, 09:04 PM
Heh. I'm taking a break from painting the 3rd cover to post this.

Chris is a cool guy. Very, very enthusiastic and a remarkably genuine human being. All the people at Madison books and Epitome productions are. I was pleasantly surprised in working with the two companies, being used to false corporate faces and finding out how cool these folks are.

Funny little bit of trivia: for the first couple months the project was kept hush-hush, so not even the kids who play the characters new what was up. Yet the powers that be wanted J and I to feel involved with the Degrassi universe and all the things that go on behind the scenes to make it happen, so were were consistently invited to signings, special events, series premieres, etc.

So to flip this around: pretty young actors and actresses in their late teens are constantly seeing these two guys in their 30's showing up bloody everywhere they go, lurking in the background and watching them. Well... I was watching a bit closer, like studying animals in the wild. :) Getting down body language, facial expressions, etc. I'm sure we started creeping them out.

This kind of culimnated in an uncomfortable moment outside the theatre where they had the cast & crew screening of last season's premiere episodes, when the actress who plays Emma suddenly froze in mid conversation with some friends and gave me this really uncomfortable look. I just nodded and went on my way, avoiding conversation since I couldn't explain anything at that point.

To add to the visual, I'm 6'3", a weightlifter, and outweigh most of these kids by about 100 lbs.

This all provides me with a sort of grim amusement as I look back.